Need Help with Choosing a Resort

SilentWindODoom

We're going to Disney! :D :D :D

This August we're going to go, and now my father is looking at hotel rooms. I'm going with my parents, and we're also bringing my cousin, Aaron, who's never been there.

Now, we went to Port Orleans Riverside in 2004, and it was very nice. However, we worry that there won't be enough room in the beds for all of us. Is it possible to get a rollaway bed there?

At the same time, he's been looking at getting two rooms at Pop Century, which isn't much more than one at Port Orleans. Now, in 98 we went to All-Star Music, and it was not very good experience. There were kids shouting everywhere, and running around at all hours of the night. Not to mention how crowded everything was. We got charged extra for the room with a view, which consisted of some grass with dense forest behind it, not very impressive for people who live in southern New York, in an area filled with trees.

Now, for those of you out there, what do you think? Have you been to Pop Century? Was the experience a good one, or a bad one? Is it possible to get a rollaway at Port Orleans Riverside? Anything you guys have would be very helpful, including any tips for going in 2007.

PS. I hear the Mansion will be closed during this time.:cry: Anyone know anything about this?

coltow

I'll admit I was hesitant to help a Yankee fan, but Disney will always trump the Sox.

I loved my stay at Pop we did not have a roll away bad but did have a crib that fit in just fine. I remember a few years ago we got 2 rooms at Music and my parents had a roll away in their room and it was a bit squishy. I've never been to PO but most people here have and can chime in on the size of the rooms there, but I'n sure you'd be able to get a roll away in there.

My opinion would be to get the 2 rooms at Pop, think about having an extra bathroom. But don't spend any extra money for a prefered room all the buildings are within a 5 minute walk to the lobby. BTW We thought Pop was much less noisy than Music.

Upvote 0

H20Babie

I have stayed at both POR and Pop.

At POR, you can request a room with a rollaway. But if you can get two rooms at Pop for approximately the same price, I'd go with Pop just for the fact that you will have two bathrooms. I liked Pop's theming better than any of the ASMs. You will still have kids there, but for some reason, Pop seems more tranquil (for a value). You will also have dedicated bus service (POR sometimes shares with POFQ).

Personally I prefer POR but in your situation, Pop would make the most sense.

Upvote 0

SilentWindODoom

Original Poster
Yeah. I noticed some Red Sox fans, and a good deal of them had comments about the Yankees or New York in them, so I changed my sig to this. 21 days until pitchers and catchers report!

Meanwhile, I called Port Orleans to ask about the rollaway bed, and the woman said she wasn't sure, and was going to transfer me to the reservations counter to ask. After a half-hearted "Have a magical day," I ended up in some computerized answering system, and found myself in some completely wrong place. That didn't quite work as well as planned.

Oh, and as for the mansion stuff, it was mentioned in a thread in the News board. Check for the topic that says "MK Updates".

Upvote 0

AutumnKlassic

Port Orleans Riverside has trundle beds in the Bayue side. That way you can have two queen (i think) beds and one trundle bed that pulls out from under one of the beds. The beds are a little taller than average due to this.

Upvote 0

SilentWindODoom

Original Poster
I'm pretty sure all the moderates have full sized beds, not queen sized. As for the trundle bed, yeah, that's not going to work. Me and my cousin are both over 6' (all the guys on that side of the family are tall and all the girls tiny) The only was it would work is if my cousin slept in the bed with my dad, I slept in the other bed, and my mom slept in the trundle.

Upvote 0

macsmom

I stayed at the POP and had no trouble with noise and we were facing the pool. The only sounds we heard when we were in the room was the music they played and even that didn't come across unless you really focused on it. Go for the extra room at POP.

Have a great time!

danna

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

I love the PO-R, but it sounds like the 4 beds, as opposed to 2 dbls & a trundle, would be better for you (not to mention the extra bathroom & extra space in general)

Upvote 0

tunaman68

We loved POR, but the beds are definately DOUBLES.

They did not offer a roll-away, (we asked) but the trundle was ok for my 5' tall DS. I wouldn't try to put anyone who was heavier than about 60 lbs on it as it is very thin!! We actually had 8 people in three rooms, and we stacked two of the trundle mattresses in our room, and my son said it was way better that way.

We have never stayed at any of the values, but our friends found the Pop Century a bit crowded/noisy. They thought it lacked the relaxing experience and atmosphere of the moderates.

Have Fun!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hi there, The Moderates are certainly more themed and full of atmosphere than the Values are. There are more amenities etc, but I have to agree with some of the pther posters on this thread. I would DEFINITELY go for the two rooms at Pop as opposed to one at POR. I have stayed at both and dont think that Pop is bad at all in terms of noise however it does not rival POR for theming or atmosphere. Riverside is actually one of my favorites but for anything more than 2 people in the morning in one room getting ready to get out and going might be a bit of a challenge. Belle

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Last year we faced a similar situaion with my DH, DS(16) and DD(21). We love POR, but would have needed an extra bed. We opted instead for connecting rooms at Pop and it worked out very well. Just having thew extra bathroom (and TV) made a real difference.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom