Na'vi River Journey reviews, comments and questions

KBLovedDisney

We've used Ellen's specifically for naps. As soon as the lights went out, we lied down to sleep. It was refreshing.
Back when Universe of Energy was new-ish with Ellen's Energy Adventure, it was a sight to see. But as time passed, along with several generations of cell phones (noted in one of the first cameo's of "Dream Ellen"), it got outdated. Don't get me wrong though. I loved the ride system and always though it was pretty cool, but after awhile it got to be a good "nap" go to ride in the park.

JohnD

Back when Universe of Energy was new-ish with Ellen's Energy Adventure, it was a sight to see. But as time passed, along with several generations of cell phones (noted in one of the first cameo's of "Dream Ellen"), it got outdated. Don't get me wrong though. I loved the ride system and always though it was pretty cool, but after awhile it got to be a good "nap" go to ride in the park.

I rode it one last time before it closed. Except for the dinosaurs, the rest of the ride was moving into different auditoriums watching a continuation of Jeopardy. "Boredom for $1,000, please Alex."

KBLovedDisney

I rode it one last time before it closed. Except for the dinosaurs, the rest of the ride was moving into different auditoriums watching a continuation of Jeopardy. "Boredom for $1,000, please Alex."
The dinosaur diorama was my favorite part...and was the only part I was really awake for...

Brad Bishop

The dinosaur diorama was my favorite part...and was the only part I was really awake for...

I liked the dinosaur diorama, too. I was never even a dinosaur-kind of-kid. I just thought that, and as mentioned above, the "moving theater" bit were pretty neat. The Ellen stuff was OK but didn't do a lot for me.

Getting back to American Adventure: I like that attraction and really try to stay awake but the whole thing is like some grandmother putting a warm shaw around me and gently rocking me to sleep. I actually don't think I've made it through that attraction without nodding off (not purposely) since the early 1980s.

KBLovedDisney

I liked the dinosaur diorama, too. I was never even a dinosaur-kind of-kid. I just thought that, and as mentioned above, the "moving theater" bit were pretty neat. The Ellen stuff was OK but didn't do a lot for me.

Getting back to American Adventure: I like that attraction and really try to stay awake but the whole thing is like some grandmother putting a warm shaw around me and gently rocking me to sleep. I actually don't think I've made it through that attraction without nodding off (not purposely) since the early 1980s.
After 'Drinking Around the World', my SIL passed out in American Adventure.

Dutch Inn '76

It's funny that we all pine for the old Epcot; but other than Spaceship Earth, UoE was the only (mostly) surviving ride from the opening - and people used it for naps.

I guess that tells ya why Epcot is going in a different direction.

gustaftp

When your ride is no more interesting than an air conditioned warehouse with cots and a 45min countdown timer you have a problem - a huge one. I really can't think of another attraction at another, non-Disney, park where people openly talk about getting out of the heat and sneaking a nap in.
I actually think that the lack of anything that is quiet and pleasant and a way to get off your feet for awhile is somewhat of a problem at non-Disney parks. Universal seems to think they have to ratchet the excitement up for almost everything, which really just gets tiring. I don't like being overstimulated, and sometimes need a break. People need a place to recharge for a bit while touring the parks. So I don't see it as a huge problem -- as much as Ellen overstayed her welcome there.

Dutch Inn '76

I actually think that the lack of anything that is quiet and pleasant and a way to get off your feet for awhile is somewhat of a problem at non-Disney parks. Universal seems to think they have to ratchet the excitement up for almost everything, which really just gets tiring. I don't like being overstimulated, and sometimes need a break. People need a place to recharge for a bit while touring the parks. So I don't see it as a huge problem -- as much as Ellen overstayed her welcome there.

Ain't that the truth! USO is practically a torture chamber. The rides are so rough...

JohnD

I'll find that out soon. As I'm going to Universal for the first time in several weeks.

gustaftp

Back to tho Na'vi River Journey - why do people feel the need to be directly hit over the head with a "story"? Can't it just be beautiful for the sake of being beautiful?

I waited to explore Pandora until dusk/dark. It made for a very natural transition to get on this ride, which simply seemed to be a continuation of the exploration I was already doing, just on a boat instead of on foot. I think my jaw needed to be picked up off the floor of the boat. It was 100% pure eye candy, and I enjoyed it tremendously. I thought it was very well-executed. Sometimes rides with storylines can tend to be rushed with plot points, so it was nice to have a ride in which I could just soak in all the rich details.

Perhaps it is just because the time of day I visited, but I consider it to be an exploration of the richly-detailed Pandora land you are already in. It doesn't need a "story" - you are left to draw up a story, much the same as if one was to float down a river in their own land.

Creating something beautiful for beauty's sake isn't a bad thing, in my opinion.

Cesar R M

We've used Ellen's specifically for naps. As soon as the lights went out, we lied down to sleep. It was refreshing.
Imagine the opportunity to rehash a similar ride, but with dream based ride.. to really get you to nap for a bit..
and sell it for a few bucks extra while your kids have the fun outside :p

Herah

Ellen didn't have a cellphone. That was a cordless landline. Cellphones in 1996 were small flip phones, and didn't work well indoors.

DisneyPrincess5

We rode for the first time this past Tuesday. We had a FP for 1:05-2:05, used it at around 1:45. It had a 75 minute wait at the time. Definitely enjoyed its impressive effects, beautiful vibrant colors, soothing music, and LOVED the animatronic at the end. In the (probably waaay far off) future if it had less than a 20 minute wait, we would wait and ride it. Can’t imagine spending another FP on it. It just didn’t do much for us. A ride on YouTube is good enough.

SuperStretccch

It's funny that we all pine for the old Epcot; but other than Spaceship Earth, UoE was the only (mostly) surviving ride from the opening - and people used it for naps.

I guess that tells ya why Epcot is going in a different direction.

Don't forget Living with the Land, which I really hope stays or gets plussed rather than being replaced. I enjoy it and it's pretty much the last piece of original Future World besides SSE.

Last edited:

djdan888

It is such a letdown after experiencing FoP. I really feel like all energy was focused on FoP and River Journey was an afterthought. We know Disney can do great dark rides . Even IASW has more movement and color, and variety than this. No excuse for not having more variety and more animatronics. Not sure why the wait time is always at 75 minutes. I would figure word of mouth would have gotten around by now.

geekza

It is such a letdown after experiencing FoP. I really feel like all energy was focused on FoP and River Journey was an afterthought. We know Disney can do great dark rides . Even IASW has more movement and color, and variety than this. No excuse for not having more variety and more animatronics. Not sure why the wait time is always at 75 minutes. I would figure word of mouth would have gotten around by now.
Probably people who have never been on it and don't watch online videos or frequent Disney boards. Also people who know that Pandora is the new land and are either turned off by the FoP line and see that NRJ has a shorter wait or who loved FoP and believe that NRJ will be just as good.

tomast

I like it, i found really cool the light soul seeds or wathever they are, but I think its too short and the lack on animatronics is kind of disapointing. the screens are meh, the loop is way too quick, and sitting in the boat you see the loop go throught 5 times and that breaks the inmersivity. I think they should put that great AAnimatronic at the begining of the ride and then add a few simpler ones at least

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom