Na'vi River Journey reviews, comments and questions

RSoxNo1

Peter Pan is an awesome ride and has a great story to tell. It was my 3 year olds favorite ride from our whole trip. He doesn't remember NRJ.
If we dictated quality based on the opinions of a 3 year old, the best show on TV would be Dora the Explorer.

Peter Pan's Flight is in desperate need of an update. It's a better ride concept than actual ride. Na'vi River Journey is certainly not without its faults, but I'd rather wait an hour for that than an hour for Peter Pan's Flight (although the reality is I generally wouldn't wait an hour for either).

EricsBiscuit

This is the most disappointing ride I've ever been on. Did they run out of money for writers? No story? No nothing? ...and the queue is a boring, monotonous maze. I thought they had stopped building those?? I'm stumped at how bad this ride is. I'll not ride this again unless I can almost walk on.
There is a story. Alpha Centauri Expeditions is taking you on a canoe ride down a river. That's it. That's all it needs to be. It's a C ticket what were you expecting?

Dutch Inn '76

There is a story. Alpha Centauri Expeditions is taking you on a canoe ride down a river. That's it. That's all it needs to be. It's a C ticket what were you expecting?

(Whatsthegoodword is now Dutch Inn '76) I was expecting some sort of an attempt at storytelling - like every other ride at WDW. This one doesn't even try.

Dutch Inn '76

If we dictated quality based on the opinions of a 3 year old, the best show on TV would be Dora the Explorer.

Peter Pan's Flight is in desperate need of an update. It's a better ride concept than actual ride. Na'vi River Journey is certainly not without its faults, but I'd rather wait an hour for that than an hour for Peter Pan's Flight (although the reality is I generally wouldn't wait an hour for either).

What about PPF is in "desperate need of an update?" It's great as-is. Yet, they just expand the queue and added "story" to it, meanwhile we wait in a monotonous maze for the NRJ...

cjkeating

(Whatsthegoodword is now Dutch Inn '76) I was expecting some sort of an attempt at storytelling - like every other ride at WDW. This one doesn't even try.

I have to disagree... you are not the first person to say that every Disney ride has a story but I don't think that is true. I think you are confusing story with a thematic concept or a familiar story being retold.

I think if Navi River Journey is criticscied for a lack of story then that must also apply to other dark rides like Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion or Gran Fiesta Tour.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I have to disagree... you are not the first person to say that every Disney ride has a story but I don't think that is true. I think you are confusing story with a thematic concept or a familiar story being retold.

I think if Navi River Journey is criticscied for a lack of story then that must also apply to other dark rides like Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion or Gran Fiesta Tour.
There’s minimal story, and there’s no story.

bclane

Here's the story. Many decades after the events of the Avatar movie has taken place, you travel 4.4 light years from Earth to be an eco-tourist on Pandora. As part of your exploration of this incredible world, you decide to take a river expedition in search of the Na'vi Shaman of songs. This expedition begins with a three hour hike through the Pandoran jungle (unless you have a fast pass, in which case it is a fairly short hike). Exhausted from your perilous journey, you finally board your reed boat and set off on your own personal adventure into the unknown. After encountering many different forms of exotic Pandoran life, some dangerous and some not, you finally find her, in all of her glory, sending positive energy out into the forest through the power of her music. In awe, you receive your own blessing from Eywa and decide to have a pineapple lumpia before standing in line for four hours to ride FOP.

I for one love the concept of an eco-tour boat ride and enjoy both rides in Pandora (especially FoP which is my favorite ride anywhere right now). However, unless I am with people who have never ridden it before, I wouldn't wait more than 30 minutes for NRJ having ridden it many times already.

twebber55

Here's the story. Many decades after the events of the Avatar movie has taken place, you travel 4.4 light years from Earth to be an eco-tourist on Pandora. As part of your exploration of this incredible world, you decide to take a river expedition in search of the Na'vi Shaman of songs. This expedition begins with a three hour hike through the Pandoran jungle (unless you have a fast pass, in which case it is a fairly short hike). Exhausted from your perilous journey, you finally board your reed boat and set off on your own personal adventure into the unknown. After encountering many different forms of exotic Pandoran life, some dangerous and some not, you finally find her, in all of her glory, sending positive energy out into the forest through the power of her music. In awe, you receive your own blessing from Eywa and decide to have a pineapple lumpia before standing in line for four hours to ride FOP.

I for one love the concept of an eco-tour boat ride and enjoy both rides in Pandora (especially FoP which is my favorite ride anywhere right now). However, unless I am with people who have never ridden it before, I wouldn't wait more than 30 minutes for NRJ having ridden it many times already.
great points
i do wish they would ve added an on boat narration via speaker system on what we re looking at

disney4life2008

I enjoy the boat ride. However, it is not worth a 30 minute or more wait. I think its more of a one and done attraction, it does not have repeat value.

bclane

great points
i do wish they would ve added an on boat narration via speaker system on what we re looking at
That's actually a pretty cool idea. "And on your left, notice how the viperwolf is considering whether it should attack us or flee. What will she do? Could be fun!

cjkeating

Spot on.

Also as much as I love the ride I agree that it isn't worth more than a 30 minute wait but I feel that applies to many attractions and some people say that as a bad thing.

Dutch Inn '76

What about IASW, SM, PotC? They have stories but not if you define story your way.

I regret that I'm unable to interpret your acronyms, except for Pirates, and OF COURSE there is a story in Pirates of the Carib. They're in the middle of changing the story to more fit our P.C. times as we speak.

Jones14

After a reride on Tuesday, my thoughts are that the ride is beautiful, but lacks eye catchers in too many sections. A good chunk of the experience is devoted to a completely stagnant forest set. There's simply not enough movement going on around you to keep you fixated on the scene you're in instead of looking around the next corner to see what's next. Certain sections of the ride are spot on: the caves at the beginning and end, the fan lizards/leaf projection sections, and the shaman, because there is a sense of alien life. Everywhere else feels like a really expensive jungle set.

This could easily be fixed with a new lighting package (such as ripples of purple light through the caves at the end a la FoP after you land for the first time, or claps of thunder and lightning when you first enter the forest that fade away to reveal the glow of the plants), some fans to give the plants a breeze to sway to, and localized animal sounds to beef up the sense that you're in a real forest. Heck, a small water cannon coupled with the sound of a small animal diving into the water would do the trick to keep your brain interested.

The bones of the ride aren't bad, and it's overflowing with detail in a way few rides of its level are. It's just missing a sense of direction, which results in a good portion of the ride feeling dead. How are the scenes supposed to make us feel? "Overwhelmed by the beauty" is great for about 30 seconds, and then we need a reason to keep riding.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom