Na'vi River Journey reviews, comments and questions

Marlins1

Rode it for the second time this past weekend. Unfortunately I found it less interesting than I did the first time. Nice ride if the wait is short but once it goes over an hour I think there should be a warning that lowers your expectations.

TheDuke

It was okay. Some nice effects, but a story would have been nice. Not worth the wait but I'm glad I did it once. It's not something I'll really ever feel the need to re-ride.

imperius

Was able to fast pass this for the first time and even that wait might have been too long. There is just nothing happening. It is a beautiful ride, but that is just it. It needs something added. Until then, I’ll skip it.

180º

I did NRJ for the first time a couple weeks ago. I understand why people might not like it, for reasons we’ve discussed over and over again. Personally, I loved it. I can’t really explain why, but it just struck the right note with me. As far as overhyped, short rides go, I find SDMT way more disappointing than Na’vi.

EDITED to add: I also prefer Na’vi River Journey to Frozen Ever After, which I find to be a cacophony of stiff vignettes.

StarboardSide

We had a fast pass for NRJ last week and were on the ride surprisingly quickly. It was beautiful - very colorful, almost neon. But a little of that goes a long way, and once seen there’s no desire to repeat it. “Been there, done that”....

Disorbust

What is still stunning to me is that this has no handicap accessible boats. Really how hard would that be. We found it meh. My daughter had a good point that it should haave been a walk through so you could interact more and maybe they could have put in the light up walkway.

JohnD

Rode it for the second time this past weekend. Unfortunately I found it less interesting than I did the first time. Nice ride if the wait is short but once it goes over an hour I think there should be a warning that lowers your expectations.

Agree. Nice boat ride but not worth an hour or more wait. The last time I rode (and will try again in May), I had a less than 5 minute wait after Rivers of Light.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
What if it was the same ride only with the addition of handheld flashlights. Sorta like monsters inc hide and go seek but with flora and fauna that react to our flashlights. There'd be some learning curves like water-proof flashlights, a tethering system to the boat. The type of light (UV) the triggering devices, the receivers. Videos, new lighting, etc. But from a logistics standpoint it would pretty much work with what's already in the ride while providing a quasi-interactive element for the passengers. Having the screens/scenes randomize based on visit would also help. Eh, just spitballing. Pretty lame ride regardless. Oh well.

Last edited:

TheDuke

What if it was the same ride only with the addition of handheld flashlights. Sorta like monsters inc hide and go seek but with flora and fauna that react to our flashlights. There'd be some learning curves like water-proof flashlights, a tethering system to the boat. The type of light (UV) the triggering devices, the receivers. Videos, new lighting, etc. But from a logistics standpoint it would pretty much work with what's already in the ride while providing a quasi-interactive element for the passengers. Having the screens/scenes randomize based on visit would also help. Eh, just spitballing. Pretty lame ride regardless. Oh well.

The theming was quite nice, but it needed a story or some kind of unique element like that to make it worthwhile. That's a good idea.

My daughter and I arrived home to the UK after a two-week visit yesterday.

We managed to snag a fast pass for this ride whilst out there. We really wished we hadn't bothered. The ride was worthy of a second-rate British theme Park. The way this area was hyped and what they actually delivered bares no resemblance to each other.

On a scale of ten ... three.

cjkeating

We managed to snag a fast pass for this ride whilst out there. We really wished we hadn't bothered. The ride was worthy of a second-rate British theme Park. The way this area was hyped and what they actually delivered bares no resemblance to each other.

That is a shame... different people like different things.

Whilst the hype built to epic proportions online for this ride (as well as FOP) it fitted the bill perfectly for me by filling a gap in the AK ride roster - slowing moving indoor dark ride - which is completely lacking in the park.

Dutch Inn '76

That is a shame... different people like different things.

Whilst the hype built to epic proportions online for this ride (as well as FOP) it fitted the bill perfectly for me by filling a gap in the AK ride roster - slowing moving indoor dark ride - which is completely lacking in the park.

I agree with Slapshtick - and you. YES. AK needed a ride like this, but it needed one that was well executed; one that told its story well. It is woefully incomplete. The good news is, that with some storytelling additions they should be able to greatly improve it.

JohnD

At least you got the FP+. It's definitely not worth an hour or more wait. But a dark ride in the heat of summer with a FP or short wait at rope drop or before closing? I'll take it.

Brad Bishop

At least you got the FP+. It's definitely not worth an hour or more wait. But a dark ride in the heat of summer with a FP or short wait at rope drop or before closing? I'll take it.

I think that is one of the worst ways, and keep in mind I haven't ridden it nor am I disagreeing with you - just making a point, to describe a ride: "It's a great place to take a nap/break in the A/C and get out of the hot Summer sun!"

To illustrate this:

Haunted Mansion:
People ride this ride because it's a great ride. Yeah, it may get them out of the heat and into the A/C but, mostly, they're riding it, even repeat riders (especially repeat riders) because: The Haunted Mansion is awesome!

Ellen's Universe of Energy (granted, closed now but for contrast): Your first time visitors to WDW are probably staying awake on this ride and trying to take it in. Repeat visitors see it, I'd argue mostly, as a place where they can take a break, cool off from the Summer heat, and maybe sneak in a nap. That speaks volumes about that ride.

When your ride is no more interesting than an air conditioned warehouse with cots and a 45min countdown timer you have a problem - a huge one. I really can't think of another attraction at another, non-Disney, park where people openly talk about getting out of the heat and sneaking a nap in.

Almost as bad: American Adventure. I like American Adventure. I actually don't go into it seeking A/C and a nap but, man, that attraction will lull me to sleep every time.

JohnD

I think that is one of the worst ways, and keep in mind I haven't ridden it nor am I disagreeing with you - just making a point, to describe a ride: "It's a great place to take a nap/break in the A/C and get out of the hot Summer sun!"

To illustrate this:

Haunted Mansion:
People ride this ride because it's a great ride. Yeah, it may get them out of the heat and into the A/C but, mostly, they're riding it, even repeat riders (especially repeat riders) because: The Haunted Mansion is awesome!

Ellen's Universe of Energy (granted, closed now but for contrast): Your first time visitors to WDW are probably staying awake on this ride and trying to take it in. Repeat visitors see it, I'd argue mostly, as a place where they can take a break, cool off from the Summer heat, and maybe sneak in a nap. That speaks volumes about that ride.

When your ride is no more interesting than an air conditioned warehouse with cots and a 45min countdown timer you have a problem - a huge one. I really can't think of another attraction at another, non-Disney, park where people openly talk about getting out of the heat and sneaking a nap in.

Almost as bad: American Adventure. I like American Adventure. I actually don't go into it seeking A/C and a nap but, man, that attraction will lull me to sleep every time.

Hey, I'm a big fan of HM and American Adventure. Navi River Journey isn't that bad but it really could use more AAs to keep it interesting. At the same time, I would only use the FP on it if I were visiting on a second day or its a 4th or later FP on the same day since it and FOP are in the same tier.

Dutch Inn '76

To illustrate this:

Haunted Mansion:

I think their point was that it's a bad ride - not that they wanted a place to take a break. When you get around to seeing it, you will agree.

Does anyone really go in an attraction solely to take a break??

Brad Bishop

I think their point was that it's a bad ride - not that they wanted a place to take a break. When you get around to seeing it, you will agree.

Does anyone really go in an attraction solely to take a break??

No, I think people literally go (went) to Universe of Energy for naps/AC. I know I did. I've heard others on this board who've said the same. I agree that it's a bad ride, though, no matter how you mean the, "It's time for a nap on Universe of Energy"...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
No, I think people literally go (went) to Universe of Energy for naps/AC. I know I did. I've heard others on this board who've said the same. I agree that it's a bad ride, though, no matter how you mean the, "It's time for a nap on Universe of Energy"...

We've used Ellen's specifically for naps. As soon as the lights went out, we lied down to sleep. It was refreshing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom