MyMagic+ article from Fast Company magazine

PhotoDave219

It was a neccesary infrastructure upgrade. The bands, not so much.

In the long run, this will be a fantastic investment for WDW. And, if that is what Iger/Staggs and company intended for WDW, I tip my hat.

They WERE correct that WDW was largely lacking in that respect.

What I'm NOT sure is why they couldn't just say "Our wifi sucks and we need and App" instead of turning it into some Park interface system.

Because the original intention was the interactivity.... which was hijacked. Or jumped the Frog, so to speak.

When it was green-lit, the goal was interactivity. And they could tie in KTTW & FP & Photopass as well. But as costs grew, the imagineering part of it was clipped by people with more powerful political agendas.

PhotoDave219

I can plan out my whole trip in advance, as long as I do it on day x for dining and day y for fastpasses....otherwise, I'm screwed.

My point, and I'm still thinking about my summary of this well written article, is that I'm not sure it brought much to the parks at all.

That sir, is my conclusion as well.

Nothing new was brought to the table. Yet Staggs is strutting around like he's on tour with Mick and Keith Richards.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I have many thoughts about ADRs and FP+...

Many I voiced. Some I didn't.

That said, the integration of the band to basically be a KTTW on steroids, has worked well.

Note, they don't ask you to buy virtual SOTMK cards through your iPhone.

PhotoDave219

I have many thoughts about ADRs and FP+...

Many I voiced. Some I didn't.

That said, the integration of the band to basically be a KTTW on steroids, has worked well.

Note, they don't ask you to buy virtual SOTMK cards through your iPhone.

Well after spending a Billion dollars (at least), good thing they got that part right.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Ok, so here are my final thoughts.

MDE brought us nothing new. Something I think that Staggs and company (Yeah, he's taking over, he's the best shot) realizes...but one that they are unwilling, and never will admit that they made a lot of very bad decisions that if they'd spent more than 2 hours on pretty much ANY disney forum, they'd have realized was stupid.

But, they don't pay much attention to us, for the most part.

In fact, they probably actively ignore us. And, if you were in a position where your job was a lot more than just us griping about theme parks, wouldn't you? I would.

So, doesn't surprise me, nor do I think they were wrong...

Except, I think the primary issue is, Walt wanted (and for a long time the Disney organization wanted) to make it a place where even the TOP INCOME EARNERS wanted to visit.

Think back for a minute. The Beatles broke up...at Poly. Nixon made his famous dog speech at Contemporary.

DIsney was the place to be, and the place to go.

Now...it is not.

The destinations haven't changed for the "elite". The visit the same mountains to ski, the mountains have not moved. They visit the same resorts and ports they did before...and frankly, they pay for the same "elite Disney vacations" they did...what has changed?

Back then, they were spending their income. What has changed? At the time, they were supporting both popular ideas, paid or subsidized, and/or just liked Walt.

There is a difference between a "Disney" park, and it's one that Universal seems to get a lot more lately than Disney itself does.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Well after spending a Billion dollars (at least), good thing they got that part right.
Heh, they market them terribly on property (which is the only place they matter) as well.

I used to play Magic, and spent literally hundreds if not thousands on those cards growing up. I'd easily buy my kid cards...if it meant anything. It doesn't. SOTMK was a stupid idea with a good germ of a concept, if the rest of the marketing campaign had gotten behind it combined with...I dunno, I good idea in the first place to make it matter outside of the parks?

ParentsOf4

His main problem is that his internal "sources" seem to completely disagree with yours on just about every point made in the article. He cannot and will never accept any other version. His is right, and yours is wrong, or so he believes.
One trait of those in positions of power is that they understand the difference between talking with a reporter and talking with a friend. @AustinC was speaking as a reporter. Others here have friends at Disney.

Let's take a simple example from @AustinC 's article:

Sources say that the early target date to deliver MyMagic+ was February 2012. This was optimistic, given the infrastructure challenges and the fact that Disney would have to create and implement the new system while still operating its theme parks, which are open every day.​

And later:

Staggs gives me an overview of the MyMagic+ development. He says the project was under budget ("not enough to do a victory lap over"), and claims it wasn’t delayed. "Since we said there’s no set schedule, it’s hard to really say whether we were on that set schedule," he explains. "I don’t mean to be at all glib with you. Truth be told, it might make better copy to write ‘delay’ than to write ‘certain aspects are taking longer than originally anticipated.’ "​

Really? Is Staggs suggesting that a billion dollar project had "no set schedule"? Is that how Disney runs its operations? Either MyMagic+ did or did not have a schedule. Which is correct? Which is more believable?

I've also seen this type of compartmentalization regarding budgets. If the project had "no set schedule", how can it have a budget? And which budget? The original budget with the original content? Some later revised budget with more money and less content? Disney publicly announced MyMagic+ bells-and-whistles that have not come to fruition. Disney also announced plans to roll out MyMagic+ to other parks. Certainly, at one time these must have been part of a budget. What happened to them?

I've dealt with enough senior executives to know that they are very good at, to be kind, self-deception. Their "facts" change as the situation changes. What was a "fact" yesterday becomes "one possibility that was discussed" tomorrow.

Last edited:

BrerJon

Very soon as hinted in the final interview in this article all you will need is your smart phone if you want, this is not something USF can offer now or anytime soon... Big disadvantage and ultimately will hurt them because eventually they will have to pay for the infrastructure but at that point WDW will have perfected it and everyone will love it there...

I've no doubt Universal will eventually follow, but they'll make it so that an NFC phone can be used for Express scanning, gate tickets and payments, no need for bands, and the crucial thing is even if they're accused of copying Disney, I bet whatever their 'next-gen' implementation is they'll deliver the whole thing for less than 100M, leaving plenty of cash for tangible expansion on the table.

BrerJon

Sources besides I know what I knows lol?

Numerous sources have indicated that other than a handshake agreement between Iger and Cameron there had been virtually no work behind the scenes before the announcement in September 2011 - even WDI was left scratching its head.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
If you wanted to ask what I learned from cast members, I'd happily tell you. If you wanted to ask what, specifically, went wrong post-MM+ launch, I would tell you! But instead of talking about "complex reservations" and the huge issues the company faced in 2013/2014 with the program, we're talking about how many times I did or didn't post; whether I'm a journalist worthy of your high ethical standards; whether I've disclosed my finances/conflicts with Disney; etc.

There's a small, but vocal, subset of posters here who subscribe to 74s blog. They, in a misdirected attempt to gain favor with him, go out of their way, to be over the top in criticism of WDW, and TWDC management.

You came here at a somewhat strange time for these boards. Disney is doing a lot right in Florida recently, and with an ever decreasing amount of things to complain about, they are lashing out at things most guests would agree are actually net positives. The Boathouse being a good example. That lashing out somehow extended to you. I think, because you wrote a well researched, and balanced account of the development and implementation of MM+. What that subset wanted, was a takedown article. Since you failed to deliver a damning condemnation of MM+ and by extension Tom Staggs and Bob Iger, you've earned yourself a place as supposed corporate shill.

Anyways, the point of my little soliloquy here, is to say, we aren't all lunatics.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There's a small, but vocal, subset of posters here who subscribe to 74s blog. They, in a misdirected attempt to gain favor with him, go out of their way, to be over the top in criticism of WDW, and TWDC management.

You came here at a somewhat strange time for these boards. Disney is doing a lot right in Florida recently, and with an ever decreasing amount of things to complain about, they are lashing out at things most guests would agree are actually net positives. The Boathouse being a good example. That lashing out somehow extended to you. I think, because you wrote a well researched, and balanced account of the development and implementation of MM+. What that subset wanted, was a takedown article. Since you failed to deliver a damning condemnation of MM+ and by extension Tom Staggs and Bob Iger, you've earned yourself a place as supposed corporate shill.

Anyways, the point of my little soliloquy here, is to say, we aren't all lunatics.

I think you overstate the obiesiance to @WDW1974 speaking for myself I criticize in a a over the top manner in an attempt to break thru the pixie dust induced torpor of other readers because of some distinctly UNMAGICAL experiences mostly related to Disney's new technology rollouts and the appalling fall in standards and quality at WDW especially over the last 5 years. And I really want others to see how the park and resort experience has declined over the years. Charitably the WDW experience at best is stale.

I don't follow any poster here even @WDW1974 despite the fact that I agree with him more often than not.

I tend to refer to myself as a 'Reformed Pixie Duster', I was part of the 'Save Disney' movement years ago where MDE was really starting to damage TWDC and I was one of those who welcomed Bob Iger especially after he fixed the TWDC/Pixar relationship. Also have 800 DVC timeshare points. So yes at one point I was a hardcore pixie duster, NO LONGER.

None of the recent changes have positively impacted my experience as a guest at the park, In 30 years of park going until the introduction of MM+ I never went to GR except to collect the AP's, Now with MM+ I can look forward to spending at least 4-6 hours at GR fixing MM+ 'issues' for my family on each trip, How does spending time on Tech Support Issues ENHANCE my vacation. Over the holidays AP's would not admit me and DW spent 2.5 hours at MK GR with 4 people trying to figure out why VALID admission media did not work and in the process missed an ADR at Tony's with rest of extended family on same trip, Yes that was a MAGICAL experience brought to you by MM+.

Being DVC to TWDC means I'm 'locked into' park visits, In reality many of us are using our DVC as a base in central FL Family will be down for 10 days this May, we are planning perhaps 3-4 park days and the rest elsewhere - 5 years ago those 10 days were ALL park days.

clsteve

@AustinC, that's an interesting read. The first one I've seen that takes it from the beginning to now. You're the first I've seen to bring up several key things - such as the first external acknowledgement of Partners. You had some amazing access to decision makers.

I've read the article several times, but something still isn't quite lining up for me - that budget thing, those Partners, the timeline.

You see, to echo @ParentsOf4, those Partners, who were brought in to right the ship after budget approvals, they eat billable hours like starving college kids eat free pizza. So, how can this size of a Project that goes on for 2 1/2 years longer than anticipated with a now much larger and expensive group of Partners come in under-budget?

I do hope you write a follow-up to your article because there's a key area where I think you were misdirected as to the main driver to NextGen - the interactive part. That's the icing. The cake is here, in the Patent App:

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...srchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=20130018661.PGNR.

Pay close attention to the sections [0060] -[0077] . Using FP's to keep certain guest types like off-site or single day tickets in the Park longer, while offering tighter FP windows for long-staying on-site guests so they can go back to the Resort to spend more. Both to increase Disney's per-guest spend.

[0071] Once the available inventory of experiences 18 is determined in accordance with 265, scheduling windows are retrieved at 270. The parameters of the scheduling windows retrieved may depend on the guest strategy being pursued, which in some embodiments may serve to lengthen or shorten the applicable scheduling windows depending on the guest strategy. Additionally, in some embodiments, the scheduling windows retrieved may also be based on the number of days that the guest will be visiting an experience area 22, the amount of available experience 18 inventory on the day the guest wishes to visit and experience area 22, etc. For instance, using the embodiment of FIG. 3 as an example, for a guest visiting one theme park on a single day visit, retrieving the scheduling windows in accordance with 270 may comprise the scheduling element 116 causing the schedule engine 124 to lengthen the windows of time between the selected experiences 18, spreading the experiences 18 out over the entire day. On the other hand, for a guest staying on site at the experience area 22 over multiple days, the strategy information and/or parameters may dictate that the schedule engine 124 shorten the windows of time between experiences 18 to allow the guests more flexible time to enjoy their accommodations at the experience area 22.

It also points to the Park stagnation in the interim. They saw underutilized attractions, with underutilized capacity, and guests standing in line too long at the sought after rides, and guests leaving too soon after line frustration.

NextGen was the end around to the traditional way of increasing guest spend - why build more rides with their higher yty maintenance costs when we can invest in NextGen (high up front cost, low maintenance and employee costs after) as a way proactively manage our Parks and rides capacity to lock them in and then keep off-siters in the Parks spending - or on-siters out quickly and back at the pool sipping $11 Mai-Tais, or bowling at Splittsville, or at the Spa, or golf at Magnolia. Use the capacity we have to the fullest to increase guest spend before building anything new.

There's a reason, it's hard to change FP times without system knowledge, and a reason the first offered have a longer spread of times than what's really available, a reason there are kiosks where you can only schedule that 4th FP when you are physically in that Park, and a reason for FP's for later evening events like Wishes. Unfortunately, that also meant having FP's for things like Captain EO. To the Execs, capacity is capacity. But, to a first timer, they don't know that there's a huge disparity in quality for the FP's they pick.

As a Technology article, it would seem that you would be very interested in digging into that. This is where they expect the ROI. This is also where the Partners and that huge expense occurred - those complicated business rules to present the options to accomplish their goals. Only a few have the ability to turn that into a functioning system.

As a Technology article, this is also the biggest story -where they are the first to try to manipulate human behavior in this way with technology.

Which is also their biggest risk. We pesky humans tend to not always do what's mapped out on a white board. We tend to break the rule rather than follow it. That's a story worth digging into - and it points to where they really expect to see the ROI. Don't let the flashy interactive part blind the real technology story, the real risk, and the real ROI justification.

It's all spelled out in the Patent.

(Credit to LakeTravis on the DisBoards for digging up the patent back in 12/13)

Lee

Adventurer
Ok, so here are my final thoughts.

MDE brought us nothing new. Something I think that Staggs and company (Yeah, he's taking over, he's the best shot) realizes...but one that they are unwilling, and never will admit that they made a lot of very bad decisions that if they'd spent more than 2 hours on pretty much ANY disney forum, they'd have realized was stupid.

But, they don't pay much attention to us, for the most part.

In fact, they probably actively ignore us. And, if you were in a position where your job was a lot more than just us griping about theme parks, wouldn't you? I would.

So, doesn't surprise me, nor do I think they were wrong...

Except, I think the primary issue is, Walt wanted (and for a long time the Disney organization wanted) to make it a place where even the TOP INCOME EARNERS wanted to visit.

Think back for a minute. The Beatles broke up...at Poly. Nixon made his famous dog speech at Contemporary.

DIsney was the place to be, and the place to go.

Now...it is not.

The destinations haven't changed for the "elite". The visit the same mountains to ski, the mountains have not moved. They visit the same resorts and ports they did before...and frankly, they pay for the same "elite Disney vacations" they did...what has changed?

Back then, they were spending their income. What has changed? At the time, they were supporting both popular ideas, paid or subsidized, and/or just liked Walt.

There is a difference between a "Disney" park, and it's one that Universal seems to get a lot more lately than Disney itself does.
Well done, sir.
Great series of posts.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I think you overstate the obiesiance to @WDW1974 speaking for myself I criticize in a a over the top manner in an attempt to break thru the pixie dust induced torpor of other readers because of some distinctly UNMAGICAL experiences mostly related to Disney's new technology rollouts and the appalling fall in standards and quality at WDW especially over the last 5 years. And I really want others to see how the park and resort experience has declined over the years. Charitably the WDW experience at best is stale.

I don't follow any poster here even @WDW1974 despite the fact that I agree with him more often than not.

I tend to refer to myself as a 'Reformed Pixie Duster', I was part of the 'Save Disney' movement years ago where MDE was really starting to damage TWDC and I was one of those who welcomed Bob Iger especially after he fixed the TWDC/Pixar relationship. Also have 800 DVC timeshare points. So yes at one point I was a hardcore pixie duster, NO LONGER.

None of the recent changes have positively impacted my experience as a guest at the park, In 30 years of park going until the introduction of MM+ I never went to GR except to collect the AP's, Now with MM+ I can look forward to spending at least 4-6 hours at GR fixing MM+ 'issues' for my family on each trip, How does spending time on Tech Support Issues ENHANCE my vacation. Over the holidays AP's would not admit me and DW spent 2.5 hours at MK GR with 4 people trying to figure out why VALID admission media did not work and in the process missed an ADR at Tony's with rest of extended family on same trip, Yes that was a MAGICAL experience brought to you by MM+.

Being DVC to TWDC means I'm 'locked into' park visits, In reality many of us are using our DVC as a base in central FL Family will be down for 10 days this May, we are planning perhaps 3-4 park days and the rest elsewhere - 5 years ago those 10 days were ALL park days.

Right, but you are only one person. I'm not sure there is any way to deny that the subset I described, exists. Anyways...

I don't want to get too far off topic here. @AustinC wrote an interesting article, that was well researched, well sourced, and well written. Then he even came here to discuss the content of the article. Instead of having an informative conversation about MM+. He was bombarded with accusations of being a corporate shill, of writing a puff piece in exchange for access, even of being paid by TWDC. It's completely insane.

your personal feelings about WDW aside, which are perfectly valid btw, I just wanted to get across to Austin, that not everyone here is nuts.

Nubs70

There's a small, but vocal, subset of posters here who subscribe to 74s blog. They, in a misdirected attempt to gain favor with him, go out of their way, to be over the top in criticism of WDW, and TWDC management
We are vocal about management because many of us here are managers in real life whether it be financial, operational, informational, logistical, etc.

It is from our direct life experience of witnessing successes and failures in our professional disciplines that we see dark clouds in the future of TWDC.

As managers (better leaders) we are wired to speak up rather than sit back and watch the oncoming train wreck.

Your assertion that our constructive criticism is an effort to gain favor with any single individual is sadly mistaken.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
We are vocal about management because many of us here are managers in real life whether it be financial, operational, informational, logistical, etc.

It is from our direct life experience of witnessing successes and failures in our professional disciplines that we see dark clouds in the future of TWDC.

As managers (better leaders) we are wired to speak up rather than sit back and watch the oncoming train wreck.

Your assertion that our constructive criticism is an effort to gain favor with any single individual is sadly mistaken.

Hmm

There is a lot of great unintentional comedy in this post. Since this thread should probably stick to MM+ discussion, I'll simply say this. There are plenty of "managers" and "good leaders" on the other side as well. Who don't see impending doom, and instead see improvement at WDW.

Furthermore, I didn't call you out specifically, therefore you maybe feel, maybe subconsciously, that you do follow 74, and wish to curry favor? Just a thought.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

betty rose

Hmm

There is a lot of great unintentional comedy in this post. Since this thread should probably stick to MM+ discussion, I'll simply say this. There are plenty of "managers" and "good leaders" on the other side as well. Who don't see impending doom, and instead see improvement at WDW.

Furthermore, I didn't call you out specifically, therefore you maybe feel, maybe subconsciously, that you do follow 74, and wish to curry favor? Just a thought.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
I've had many things to say about Disney both positive and negative. Does that make me a follower of 74? Heck, I don't even know who that is. I just post my own observations, and opinions. Things I have experienced good and bad including about MM+.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom