MyMagic+ article from Fast Company magazine

wannab@dis

Enjoyed the article! It's one of the few non-biased articles I've read about MM+. Most articles are either travel blog style articles talking about all the positives or some blog espousing all the faults. I've read very few articles from true journalists about MM+ that actually dug into the story and spelled out the project from start to finish with successes and failures highlighted. Finally, I appreciate the author taking the time to wade into the weeds of this forum to answer questions. It's just a shame our few vocal naysayers feel the need to attack the author for daring to break down some of the mis-information they love to spread.

Yet in numerous other reputable publications in the business press the figure is estimated to be 150-200% of the number Tom Staggs quoted.
Post links to those "numerous other reputable publications" please...

Yes, I sorta wonder why I am so important that my post was answered. But then I realize that, indeed, I am THAT important. ... maybe he was warned about me in advance. Oh wait, that would be tinfoil hat material.:D
Your ego is unbelievable. The likelihood the author knew anything about you prior to this thread is laughable. Maybe he responded because you questioned his ethics without even reading the article. Maybe he didn't care for you launching into an attack on his professionalism without a shred of evidence.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
1) This January, I made several trips to Disney World. With my MagicBand strapped on, entering and exiting my room at the Contemporary Resort is a cinch. I love leaving my hotel without worrying if I forgot my wallet, or even my phone; whether I venture to the Starbucks at the Downtown Disney shopping village or sit down for an extravagant dinner at the Grand Floridian Resort, I pay by simply flicking my wrist. At dinner one night, an elderly couple tells me they were skeptical of the MagicBand at first ("because we’re old!"), but that they have come to love its headache-free benefits.

I must say, even though I visited during a roll-out phase, I enjoyed all these same aspects. Though, I will note a few things.

a- The same existed with KTTW. I regularly visited before without anything but my ID (which is law that you carry, btw, in Florida, and a general good idea...and yeah, your Magicband isn't gonna rent you a boat at Disney, nomatter how hard you try, for example), and KTTW and a spare credit card in my pocket.

b- There are charge limits placed on the KTTW, and those limits still exist with Magicbands, even if you know the pin. It's based on the resort you are staying in and the amount of room credit Disney is willing to extend. It is NOT, and is still NOT, direct access to your credit card. That is important, for security reasons, but really changed nothing from KTTW, which was a simple sliver of plastic that you stuck in your pocket rather than a bulky piece of plastic that you wore on your wrist (while your kid's bracelets sit in your pocket).

c- For a positive, instead of a negative, they are AWESOME for water parks, though the chlorine fades the cheap plastic dramatically, removing any sort of cosmetic benefit.

2) There is no line at the main entrance to the park, where cast members and a row of polished, golden digital access points greet me, and it takes just seconds to stream through with my MagicBand. According to Disney, the MagicBand has cut turnstile transaction time by 30%. Park capacity has also increased. At the Magic Kingdom alone, Tom Staggs notes, MyMagic+ has allowed "north of 5,000 more people into the park for the same experience."

I agree. I think the new gate procedure is vastly better.

3) The creative potential of MyMagic+ is on full display at Test Track, an Epcot ride that lets visitors pretend to drive a concept vehicle through intense stress tests: swerves in bad weather, screeching halts, big bursts of speed. It’s extremely popular, often with 60- to 90-minute wait times.

a- I thought the goal was to cut wait times? "There were the endless lines for rides, food, and bathrooms; parents juggling maps, hotel keys, baby carriages, and bottles of SPF 75; and kids pulling families on long treks to try to visit every attraction." How has this helped? Not at all.

b- Personalization is silly at best, when it works, from many reports.

c- The ride really hasn't changed much, from what I've seen, though granted, it was down for refurb during my last trip.

3) I wanna take a moment to say that I applaud the author for integrity, because he really went and tried this stuff out himself, rather than just doing some interviews, and talking about it offhand. I still think this is a GREAT article, even though I'm nitpicking/commenting it to death.

4) Test Track has 197 touch-interaction points. Disney has measured the impact of effective "scene ones" on customers’ perception of waiting in line. According to Disney World SVP Jim MacPhee, "a 35-minute wait felt like a 15- to 20-minute wait."

A lot of people don't like Interactive Queues, but I personally think they are brilliant. And, yes, MBs can play a roll in them. But, they don't have to. My kid loves the interactive queue at Space Mountain and Winnie the Pooh, and on many waits, we often let the actual line pass by while she got her fill of entertainment (which I mostly equally enjoyed...though the Pooh queue does little for me, the competitive nature of the SM one does).

Point is...it has nothing to do with Next Gen, rather it has to do with offering people distractions while waiting, something that isn't new to Disney...in fact, the in line "Videos" and queue Staging were both amazing in the 80s and 90s at EPCOT (at some attractions) and HS (at even more attractions) respectively.

5) Executives point to this kind of thing to explain why Disney’s intent-to-return metrics are up, though the company won’t provide specific figures. They also say they are seeing guests spend more money while in the park. And MacPhee lets slip that guest intent to recommend, another key Disney metric, is "really high, with overall satisfaction in the 70% range."

Ok, in 2 parts. The first two, will never be really public knowledge, and of course they'll say that because that is what they stuck their careers to when asking for it. But, the latter, I'm not so sure. It really depends on how they pick and choose their data.

Part of the issue of rushing to appeal to the "younger market" whilst skipping over the "monied market" is just that. If you ask a 20 year old to spend 6 grand or more on a vacation, that's something. If you ask a middle class 30 or 40+ year old, that's something else. And if you asked a well vested 50 or 60+ year old that, it's a completely different discussion all over again.

To Disney's credit, it's a complex situation, and perhaps they made the right marketing move. Or, perhaps they just didn't want to expand capital investment in real attractions, so decided to manufacture some "virtual" experience that in reality won't make Florida any less hot, won't make CMs any more friendly, and don't really change the dynamic much at all...but after major expense which could have been spent on doing so.

(ahem...compare what Iger did for DCA vs what he did for WDW...case...in...point)

6) There are many other tangible results. The Be Our Guest restaurant has become incredibly popular.

Because it was the first new eatery at Disney in literally 10+ years. Heck, they still have venues they keep mostly shut (yes, I'm looking at you Tomorrowland Terrace and Diamond Horseshoe).

7) Kids are accessorizing their MagicBands with Frozen-themed tchotchkes, which are fast becoming a material revenue generator for the company.

And before that, they wanted pins for their lanyards. The difference is, for me, as, you know, the guy with the credit card and the bank account, I'd much rather buy my child a pin that lasts for decades, than a piece of cheap plastic that fits on something that is cheap plastic, that fades the first time she wears it to Typhoon Lagoon.

My point is, while sales may look rosey, long term value to the Guest for that merch is less so, and I suspect they'll see that inverse laffer curve come tumbling down (though, by the same right, pin trading has dropped, and I get why...) My point is, it's a fad, not proof it was the RIGHT CHOICE.

8) And with Disney’s slick PhotoPass service, photos and videos captured of guests shrieking down the Splash Mountain water ride are tied to their MagicBands and automatically uploaded to the My Disney Experience website, where they can later view and purchase prints.

Yes, integration with PhotoPass (you should update your article, it's now called Memory Maker) was extremely well done! Not all that much more convenient (you'd carry around one more plastic card or keyfob)...but the integration was brilliant. ONE aspect (one of the VERY FEW) that KTTW didn't have, but could have easily have been done using 4 cent KTTW cards and not plastic bracelets.

9) During my return monorail ride back to the hotel one cool winter night, two exhausted parents, baby carriages in tow and a tuckered-out young girl wrapped around Dad’s neck, tell me the MagicBand is a lifesaver;

And, that is part of the memory for the parent (and the bill payer). Why do I want to take my kid back? It's not for Splash, it's not for Space Mountain...

It's for those quiet moments. My most cherished moments are the ones where, on the crowded bus home, she crawled into my lap and dozed, and I carried her sleeping back to the room...to dream about another day of fun tomorrow.

But, that experience need not, and may not always, be Disney. And THAT is what they miss (unless they seriously want to attract the once a lifetime visitors). It's not a matter of finance, it's a matter of boredom. It's not that they need to constantly replace attractions, in fact, doing so is a bad move. But...well, Walt said it best...with WDW comes the blessing of size. Of course, he meant it in a slightly different manner, but there is NO REASON why the attraction count should stay stable, and NO REASON why the attraction count should in any way resemble what is offered in California (where their park is vibrant and living, while WDW is stale and...iDisney)

Anyhow, without getting too far into that...I think what you are missing is what it was like before. It was...largely the same.

Except, what you say next...this really is different. VASTLY different.

10) They couldn’t imagine going back to the old system, with all those paper tickets and FastPasses. It is indeed a "better reality than the one outside," as Disney biographer Neal Gabler put it.

Ok, first, I don't know how any of this makes it a "vastly better reality". Did the lines, the prams, and other things magically disappear? Nope. Did offensive people suddenly stop being offensive? Nope. Did you not overhear something in a line that you wish you hadn't...or in one case I experienced, a conversation that I was glad my child at the time was too young to understand? Nope.

This changed...nothing.

But, lets talk about paper fastpasses. I fail to understand why that was such a "major inconvenience"...but lets assume it was. And, I do get the argument that certain experiences, well, you want to experience (or your kids do). Like a meet and greet, and the like.

I will say this, at least as far as waterparks and AK is concerned...and to a lesser extent HS, though it isn't a concern now that the Backlot is completely gone...you get wet. And I'd rather have a paper fastpass in my pocket than a $500 smartphone I used to access my fastpasses.

Not a major concern, really, I did Ripsaw (cause they had lockers) at Uni, and got soaked, and loved it. I still wrap up my stuff for Splash (though I haven't really gotten soaked on that in years...I'm not sure if after the refurb if they toned it down due to guest complaints?)

Anyhow...

The issue isn't paper or plastic (wristbands). The system hasn't changed. You have a return window, and if you miss that window, you lose out. WIth Paper fastpasses, you had the ability (and I did this, as well as other guests) to make magic "organically"...meaning, if I was tired or my kid was tired, and we couldn't make our fastpass for Space Mountain, we, well, just looked for some other group of two who looked like they could enjoy it, and gave it to them.

The "system" didn't care, because the "system" only checked return windows printed clearly on the ticket, not a variety of other variables such as MDE usernames and iDevice statuses.

One of the best memories I have from Disneyland (who STILL uses paper, btw, those "backward thinking Californians"...and the idea was SO GOOD, they decided NOT to use it in the Flagship park...and as much as I love WDW...WDW is NOT the Flagship of Parks...anyone who thinks so is an idiot....

Anyhow, point is, one my best memories of that trip was when the friend I went with and I decided to use our Park Hopper to flip over to DCA for a bit, and someone was on their way out and randomly offered us their FP tickets for the newly opened (OMG A RIDE!) RSR.

We, of course, took them, gratefully, and it was such a wonderful little moment of interaction that DIDN'T COST DISNEY A DIME.

Regulars to Disney during the paper era can speak to this over and over again. It happened, and it happened a lot. Why? Because you CAN'T SCHEDULE MOODS AND WHIMS ON A VACATION OR PLEASURE TRIP 30+ DAYS IN ADVANCE!!! And, with doing so, you are making it more of a chore, and less of a, well, vacation...exploration, seeking out what is different.

Rather, yeah, it's a checklist. We came here, did all this stuff, now we've done it. Been there, done that...nothing left to do.

So, how EXACTLY did Disney "leadership" think this was going to increase return visits if I can schedule and do everything I think I would want to do in the first place, show up, do that, and leave? Rather than learn that it's a whole experience to explore and engage with?

Nomatter how much "I'll stick with natural methods" Jobs supports your concept. It's arrogant, and it's stupid, and I stand by it.

Ok...next snack? Cheetos?

PhotoDave219

I appreciated the article for adding more to the narrative. I have no doubt there are many, many problems with the system, but much of our insider narrative here originates from connections with the creatives, who clearly hated the project from the get-go. That doesn't mean the imagineers weren't right all along, but they had an agenda, and that gets happily spread.

We'll never know the true budget, but I have no doubt some of the hyperbole about it rests with ****ed off imagineers who didn't have their own projects approved. I would have rather the money be spent elsewhere too, but that's now in our past.

I find it funny that people are so up in arms that it didn't take a firm stance one way or another. It clearly wasn't a pure puff piece, it didn't declare the system an outright failure, but it did create purposeful conversation and let us make our own conclusions/more informed opinions.

Cheers, thanks @AustinC

Its not hyperbole.

PhotoDave219

Of course we want more people to read our story! We put a lot of work into the piece; we think it's a compelling article and narrative with (hopefully) equally compelling business and design lessons. We hope you enjoy it too. That's why I'm here.

Clearly its very well thought out and researched. Youve gotten great access from the mouse. But again, all they're doing is spending $1B (at least) on integrating things they already had (KKTW, FP, Reservations) into a Smartphone app. Disney didn't break any new ground here. They upgraded infrastructure and .... thats pretty much it. Granted, it was much needed infrastructure upgraded.

Even the part where they were trying to lure the audience from one part of the park to another? That can be traced back to Pal Mickey. Theyve been trying that for awhile too. That thing didnt work.... tho I have one.

I'm curious, what kind of ROI did they say they were looking at as well as how fast that return would come? Mostly because you would need at least $100M growth every year over the next 10 years on top of what their annual rate of return to declare that a break-even proposition.

And did they give you any idea how this project would actually grow money or grow the audience?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Ok, next chapter...jeezus this is a long article.

I'm gonna step aside from my vomit style commentary on it to say, @AustinC, this is VERY well written. I think you did a simply fantastic job of summing up a variety of competing stories into one overarching narrative, and I can't applaud your work on this more.

VERY well done, and you have new subscriber/reader/follower in me.

Even handed, well written, well researched. I mean, come on, this is so fantastic. So, sorry that I'm responding to it pretty much paragraph by paragraph, but I'm bored and I know the subject matter. Please do not take it personally.

Anyhow, moving on...

1) "The Imagineers, the R&D group, they’re supposed to be the innovative team—they’re the Walt Disney Imagineers, for Christ’s sake! And yet, for this newest innovation, they simply didn’t deliver. Well, they delivered the barest, thinnest, most minimum creative support for NGE."

This, bugs me. If the Imagineers were not supportive of the concept, for probably viable reasons, and they were ignored, I'm sure they felt shunted. That said, I strongly doubt they didn't try, rather they were given the budgetary bite in the thumb. I don't think for one minute that any Imagineer worth their salt didn't see the potential of positional recognition...I just think they are smart enough not to snort their sharpies and think imagine something that isn't operationally possible without investment.

I don't think any Imagineer worth their salt wouldn't love to see a truly interactive random interaction with a Guest at a personal level as a bad idea...but I do see why they'd have a WHOLE lot of issues with HOW this system proposed to do so, depending on how the back end funding and long term operational funding would look like.

It's a slander against a group of individuals who the "right brains" (since you brought it up) can't understand the "cross brains"...and therefore consider them "left brains" out of their own ignorance. And yes, I DO mean ignorance. Well, and hubris. I should toss that word in because it's apt.

2) MyMagic+ was always designed to be a platform to build on, but even the elements the company publicly promised in The New York Times’ announcement are still missing in action.

You won't see them anytime soon, because it was an operational Pipe Dream. And no, it's not cause of internal politics, it's because it's stupid.

3) Though Disney executives still boast, inexplicably, that MyMagic+ lets cast members wish guests a happy birthday

Wow, a button was so ineffective. Lets make an APP for that. (drinks the sizzurb)

4) the fact is that feature plainly does not exist.

Yes, it does, they still give out buttons.

5) (When I point out to Staggs that cast members don't yet fully take advantage of MyMagic+, he mentions there may be ways in the future to acknowledge a guest's birthday through the program, but also tells me, "You know what, we’ve got the buttons, people put on the buttons [that say] happy birthday, and people say happy birthday, [and] they love it.")

Staggs proves my point for me. Though, I suppose the solution isn't that Imagineers and other depts were fighting back...cause they are backwards thinking, it's rather that they don't see the future.

As I noted, the future is a disinterested CM taking a moment to glance up from their i(whatever) or through their Google Glass and wish your kid an unfelt happy birthday, and thanks for the hundreds you spend to have us do that.

What a fantastic Guest Experience.

<skuze me while I puke at the sheer ignorance that is involved in thinking this up in the first place>

6) They don’t even wear MagicBands.

This, with respect to the "extra merch opportunity" is actually an important point. Trading with a CM was/is a huge part of the waning "lanyard" culture. Hard to "trade MB charms"...and lanyards and accessories have made Disney a LOT more money than I suspect this has.

7) Disney executives are still figuring out how to talk about MyMagic+. When MacPhee takes me to the classic Dumbo the Flying Elephant ride, he says, "This, to me, is the poster child of everything MyMagic+ is about." But other than using a MagicBand at the entryway touch point, as one does at every attraction, Dumbo had nothing to do withMyMagic+ technology.

Nothing to add, spot on.

8) The space was recently renovated, but mainly to add an area where parents can sit and relax in line while their kids play on a jungle gym. Cast members hand out buzzers

Right, it feels more like waiting at a very busy Olive Garden...20 years ago...with a playground. For a simple Spinner ride.

9) (A Disney spokesperson asserts that MyMagic+ and the Next Generation Experience encompassed more than just technology, and thus that the Dumbo renovations fall under the NGE initiative.)

Smoke + A$$ = ???

10) Afterward, MacPhee acknowledges that the system doesn’t use MyMagic+. The real trick—which my hosts only share on the condition I not publish it—is quite impressive, but almost goes out of its way to avoid taking advantage of the MagicBand.

No, it's not Impressive. It's called well trained CM's doing their job and keeping up the show. Front line CMs are not stupid. They want Guests, and adore for Guests (it's part of their job satisfaction) to have a Magical experience. And NONE of that...NONE OF THAT...has anything to do with the fact I can see wait times on my iPhone.

Ok, I'm gonna take a break, because you chose a rather interesting title for your next chapter...one that stabs me (yes, stabs me) in the heart. Because it's the key, imho, to what Disney has lost in terms of how they view the Guest, how they view the Guest Experience, and where I, imho, think they need to go.

(of course, I'm a fan and a dummy who will give them money anyhow, so what do they care?)

squidward

2) There is no line at the main entrance to the park, where cast members and a row of polished, golden digital access points greet me, and it takes just seconds to stream through with my MagicBand. According to Disney, the MagicBand has cut turnstile transaction time by 30%. Park capacity has also increased. At the Magic Kingdom alone, Tom Staggs notes, MyMagic+ has allowed "north of 5,000 more people into the park for the same experience."

I'm a bit confused by this quote. A few things:

1.It may very well have changed since last summer, but wait times at the turnstiles are not much better. There are more turnstiles, but also more confusion at each one.

2.You might be acknowledging this as a bad thing and I'm just missing it, but allowing "5,000 more people into the park for the same experience" is pretty much at the very core of the problem right now, at least at the Magic Kingdom. As most anyone will tell you, wait times are longer than they have ever been. To me, bottom line, this is the straw that has broke my back in regards to MyMagic+. It centers around the extra capacity and the horrendous new FP system. What all of this has meant to me is less bang for my buck. That is why Disney has, at least until this mess is fixed (which I accept may be never) has lost me as a customer.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'm a bit confused by this quote. A few things:

1.It may very well have changed since last summer, but wait times at the turnstiles are not much better. There are more turnstiles, but also more confusion at each one.

2.You might be acknowledging this as a bad thing and I'm just missing it, but allowing "5,000 more people into the park for the same experience" is pretty much at the very core of the problem right now, at least at the Magic Kingdom. As most anyone will tell you, wait times are longer than they have ever been. To me, bottom line, this is the straw that has broke my back in regards to MyMagic+. It centers around the extra capacity and the horrendous new FP system. What all of this has meant to me is less bang for my buck. That is why Disney has, at least until this mess is fixed (which I accept may be never) has lost me as a customer.
What you quoted, is from the article, not mine.

That said, I do think when I experienced it, I preferred the far less claustrophobic feel of the new gates.

I can also see how it helps with past and future ADA requirements, and the like.

When I went to Disneyland, a few months later, I'd add...and was stopped at each park so they could snap my photo with some device, and then forced through a turnstyle...I was less impressed.

The new gates are something I think MDE has right.

And, I have no issue with guest attendance increasing...

As long as there are things for them to do. And, THAT is the core issue.

You don't combat long lines and overcrowding with plastic wristbands, you do it with expansion.

PhotoDave219

Ok, next chapter...jeezus this is a long article.

I'm gonna step aside from my vomit style commentary on it to say, @AustinC, this is VERY well written. I think you did a simply fantastic job of summing up a variety of competing stories into one overarching narrative, and I can't applaud your work on this more.

VERY well done, and you have new subscriber/reader/follower in me.

Even handed, well written, well researched. I mean, come on, this is so fantastic. So, sorry that I'm responding to it pretty much paragraph by paragraph, but I'm bored and I know the subject matter. Please do not take it personally.

Anyhow, moving on...

1) "The Imagineers, the R&D group, they’re supposed to be the innovative team—they’re the Walt Disney Imagineers, for Christ’s sake! And yet, for this newest innovation, they simply didn’t deliver. Well, they delivered the barest, thinnest, most minimum creative support for NGE."

This, bugs me. If the Imagineers were not supportive of the concept, for probably viable reasons, and they were ignored, I'm sure they felt shunted. That said, I strongly doubt they didn't try, rather they were given the budgetary bite in the thumb. I don't think for one minute that any Imagineer worth their salt didn't see the potential of positional recognition...I just think they are smart enough not to snort their sharpies and think imagine something that isn't operationally possible without investment.

I don't think any Imagineer worth their salt wouldn't love to see a truly interactive random interaction with a Guest at a personal level as a bad idea...but I do see why they'd have a WHOLE lot of issues with HOW this system proposed to do so, depending on how the back end funding and long term operational funding would look like.

It's a slander against a group of individuals who the "right brains" (since you brought it up) can't understand the "cross brains"...and therefore consider them "left brains" out of their own ignorance. And yes, I DO mean ignorance. Well, and hubris. I should toss that word in because it's apt.

2) MyMagic+ was always designed to be a platform to build on, but even the elements the company publicly promised in The New York Times’ announcement are still missing in action.

You won't see them anytime soon, because it was an operational Pipe Dream. And no, it's not cause of internal politics, it's because it's stupid.

3) Though Disney executives still boast, inexplicably, that MyMagic+ lets cast members wish guests a happy birthday

Wow, a button was so ineffective. Lets make an APP for that. (drinks the sizzurb)

4) the fact is that feature plainly does not exist.

Yes, it does, they still give out buttons.

5) (When I point out to Staggs that cast members don't yet fully take advantage of MyMagic+, he mentions there may be ways in the future to acknowledge a guest's birthday through the program, but also tells me, "You know what, we’ve got the buttons, people put on the buttons [that say] happy birthday, and people say happy birthday, [and] they love it.")

Staggs proves my point for me. Though, I suppose the solution isn't that Imagineers and other depts were fighting back...cause they are backwards thinking, it's rather that they don't see the future.

As I noted, the future is a disinterested CM taking a moment to glance up from their i(whatever) or through their Google Glass and wish your kid an unfelt happy birthday, and thanks for the hundreds you spend to have us do that.

What a fantastic Guest Experience.

<skuze me while I puke at the sheer ignorance that is involved in thinking this up in the first place>

6) They don’t even wear MagicBands.

This, with respect to the "extra merch opportunity" is actually an important point. Trading with a CM was/is a huge part of the waning "lanyard" culture. Hard to "trade MB charms"...and lanyards and accessories have made Disney a LOT more money than I suspect this has.

7) Disney executives are still figuring out how to talk about MyMagic+. When MacPhee takes me to the classic Dumbo the Flying Elephant ride, he says, "This, to me, is the poster child of everything MyMagic+ is about." But other than using a MagicBand at the entryway touch point, as one does at every attraction, Dumbo had nothing to do withMyMagic+ technology.

Nothing to add, spot on.

8) The space was recently renovated, but mainly to add an area where parents can sit and relax in line while their kids play on a jungle gym. Cast members hand out buzzers

Right, it feels more like waiting at a very busy Olive Garden...20 years ago...with a playground. For a simple Spinner ride.

9) (A Disney spokesperson asserts that MyMagic+ and the Next Generation Experience encompassed more than just technology, and thus that the Dumbo renovations fall under the NGE initiative.)

Smoke + A$$ = ???

10) Afterward, MacPhee acknowledges that the system doesn’t use MyMagic+. The real trick—which my hosts only share on the condition I not publish it—is quite impressive, but almost goes out of its way to avoid taking advantage of the MagicBand.

No, it's not Impressive. It's called well trained CM's doing their job and keeping up the show. Front line CMs are not stupid. They want Guests, and adore for Guests (it's part of their job satisfaction) to have a Magical experience. And NONE of that...NONE OF THAT...has anything to do with the fact I can see wait times on my iPhone.

Ok, I'm gonna take a break, because you chose a rather interesting title for your next chapter...one that stabs me (yes, stabs me) in the heart. Because it's the key, imho, to what Disney has lost in terms of how they view the Guest, how they view the Guest Experience, and where I, imho, think they need to go.

(of course, I'm a fan and a dummy who will give them money anyhow, so what do they care?)

You see, that bit about the Imagineers? Thats complete BS. I know that for a fact. I know the original concept came out of interactivity and that is what was originally pushed. Then they tacked on the KTTW & FP components, which is what got the most traction. Then the interactivity portions were killed. Their project was taken from them and they were pushed out the door.... but still invited to the cookouts.

PhotoDave219

Oh yeah, @AustinC ... one other Anecdotal bit of information for you.

So I worked the MLB Winter Meetings at Swan & Dolphin. This is December 2013, when they first started giving out the magic bands as room keys. (I work as as a contract photojournalist) So there was a lot of walking around, listening and playing "who the hell is that guy."

I overheard a fair amount of talk amongst the executives with MLB. To a man, nobody liked it. Wasn't their thing, and for their convention it wasn't something they would have expected. Best i heard was a nameless baseball exec talking about how their kid liked it but that was about it. They all seemed to think it was silly and I dont recall seeing any of the GMs or Managers wearing one.

Disney does a fair amount of convention business and I'm wondering how NGE is playing with them overall.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Ok, gonna step back before this chapter (I can't believe I'm only 2/3rds through this...I probably shouldn't have decided to free comment on it, but meh....)

Journey Into Imagination is EXACTLY what is missing from Disney. Innovative rides, new characters that capture adults and children. It is the EPITOME of what is wrong with their current mindset regarding WDW.

1) The Imagineers speak about the project with enthusiasm, but also—always—with caveats. "There are a million ideas, like . . . I walk through the park, and my face is integrated into movie posters," says Bruce Vaughn, the chief creative executive. "Do you really want that? Is that special the third time I see it?"

Vaughn - I'll buy you a coffee or stronger drink, you get it!

2) The group has always been wary of introducing technology for technology sake, although it is willing to experiment, such as with a short-lived interactive game developed in 2006, based on the Kim Possible cartoon series, which enabled guests to use cell phones to go on a virtual scavenger hunt of the parks.

Ok, this is aimed at @AustinC - This is another where your research is a bit...off. The "cell phones" were really local only devices, shaped like cell phones (to keep them familiar) and it was not "short lived", they just changed out the story from Kim Possible to Phineus and Ferb. On your trip, you probably experienced it, and it was one of the best things they added to World Showcase (as far as tossing in contemporary concepts to World Showcase) that they could have thought of without stomping all over the ideas and experiences of it.

But, they lost that battle, as now Frozen is taking over Norway, cause...well...cause.

3) As one MyMagic+ partner points out, with admiration for the Imagineers, "A big part of the company culture is trying to guard against dangerous change. If Disney had followed every trend in the past 60 years, it wouldn’t be Disney anymore."

No, the issue is that you have a media company led by people who think that the "parks" are for the "plebeians" telling the "parks" how they should run themselves, and ignoring the creative source of people who love and breath the magic.

I'm sorry, I'm not a fan of Rohde, but I think he has at least 20 more creative and logistical bones in his body than Staggs.

We all may hate on Eisner, and he made a lot of bad decisions, but lets be honest...he at least GOT what it meant to TRY and be Walt. In fact, he WANTED to be Walt. Iger doesn't give two flips, as long as the stock remains strong and he can vacation someplace BESIDES Disney. And, I get the feeling most of his executives feel the same.

There was a time when a Disney Vacation meant luxury. That time is waning, and Disney is too stupid to realize it.

And, if a Disney Fan with an upper middle class income can recognize that, and they see that as "winning" because I somehow am "more educated" or however they justify it to themselves, they are missing the point. The point is...you are pricing yourself out of the market. You are killing your brand, and your enticement, and yeah, maybe I should take the time and effort to spend the same (or likely less) to take the kid on different experiences...but, remember, if she grew up with yours, she'll likely turn to you first.

I highly doubt she's gonna hand down her first set of plastic wristbands.

Pfft...

4) The My Disney Experience app was buggy, digital access points would turn blue when they were supposed to turn green, hotel reservations were a mess, and guests griped that the new FastPass+ system was unintuitive and difficult to program.

Ok, I was in a latter testing phase, and while I had a few of these issues, the major issue was (and still is) the website.

5) Many of these issues have since been fixed (the company tripled the size of its customer support department)

OH...I see, how has this "saved money" through automation? Probably the unpublished early goal of this dream fart? Something that I'll pay for in my ticket price, eh?

6) One former NGE executive believes the public won’t "see Imagineering leverage the NGE platform until the next wave of attractions."

asdiohhdfkjhasi g;ljhk gasf;lkj lag h g

(can I bang on my keyboard more?)

This is one of the stupidest things I've heard. So, wait, let me get this straight, is a big blue Avatar animetronic gonna bend down and tell my kid Happy Birthday?

And, furthermore, do you not understand, or did you miss this, how unifying a ride experience can be socially? Have you just shoved your collective heads up your rears and assumed that kids and parents (even if on different groups) don't get off rides and love to talk about what they individually experienced?

Wait, this goes back to the fallacy as first stated...

I'll quote " The team created diagrams illustrating how families, seeking to maximize their time, would crisscross Cinderella Castle, the center of the park, as often as 20 times a day."

Did the author or this dummy ever visit Disney as a kid? Does he NOT REMEMBER the thrill of the rides and more importantly the social interaction of RELIVING THE THRILL with friends?

What do you think parties that split did when they ran into each other? They said "Hey, have you tried this? Or hey, have you done that?"

Jeezus...

No, the world isn't ready to just stare at their iPhones and play with video games in a line...get over it. And, frankly, they won't be. It's a fad, and you latched onto the wrong one.

The market is already correcting, with Universal offering, I dunno, new attractions and immersive experiences...but, Iger didn't get it (or his underlings didn't)...

Frankly, again, to the author, since you are well read and interviewed on this subject, you should look into that...the impact vs impact of WWOHP for Uni (which spawned massive investment) vs Disney's half arsed "MDE"...that is a truly interesting tale.

Anyhow, moving on again.

7) Imagineer Joe Rohde, who sports a tribal-style earring that weighs down his left ear, speaks eloquently about the pros and cons of MyMagic+. We meet over a model of Avatar Land, the movie-inspired Disney World extension set to open in 2017. He tells me the Imagineers are trying to hit that sweet spot where the technology stays "subconscious," because he doesn’t want to see "switching behavior"—he waves his wrist around in front of his face—"in between the human and the experience."

Yeah, this is what I thought...

Sorry, Iger, you are no Disney, and Apple and Plastic Bands are stupid.

I lost a bit of faith in what Avatarland is gonna be (though I imagine some big blue vulcan basketball player wishing me a happy birthday...)

8) I ask where MyMagic+ will influence Avatar Land, and Rohde turns my attention to the model, which is the size of three Ping-Pong tables. He swirls his finger around a tiny section. This little spot is where MyMagic+ will be put to use, in "the most intensive, interactive moments." What about the area’s two big attractions? "Less so," he adds.

Right, cause Rohde, as much as I don't like his ideas, is a smart as hell guy.

9) What excites the Imagineers about Avatar Land? The robotics prototypes they’ve built, which they think represent the next generation of animatronics. MyMagic+ is just a tool that Imagineers tell me they don’t want to force on visitors. "We don’t want to say, ‘Hey, guest, go around and tap with your MagicBand to cause something magical to happen,’ " Vaughn says. "We never want to do it just because we can."

Thank god for Vaughn, cause that's what Legoland or Six Flags would do.

You should NOT RELEGATE IMAGINEERS TO THE BACK BURNER, but that is what Disney did. Even your story said it. There is a reason why they exist. They are not stupid. They do not do it just because they are "contrary" to the bottom line.

And, while Iger, I think, is an excellent CEO, in this respect, he's severely lost. Why? Cause he doesn't give a flip about theme parks.

And, yeah, Shanghai will be amazing and large and all that...but, in reality, it won't be Disneyland, and it won't be WDW...it will be another theme park. It could be more. Tokyo Disney knows how, with DisneySEA, rather than making something mundane...but Iger is not that leader.

Next chapter....wow this is long. Again kudos to the author.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I dont view it as a puff piece whatsoever.

I view it as something that confirms & sums up certain tid-bits I was told and couldn't repeat (internal politics) and really leaves me walking away wondering "So exactly what was the point of doing this in the first place?"

Clearly it's @AustinC had a unprecedented level of access to TWDC executives, And it did expose the dysfunctional nature of TWDC which was something we all suspected. For those of us in the tech industry especially those of us who recover failed IT projects there is nothing new about how dysfunctional the IT culture is in large companies.

I call it a puff piece because the overall view of MM+ was the view the TWDC management wants to project, Nothing about how MM+ fails frequently and across multiple systems for hours or days at a time, This is when Amazon com going down for 30 seconds hits the nightly news, Yes Amazon is more important economically but TWDC arguably the leading MEDIA and Entertainment company in the US so It's IT systems should also be world class but clearly are not up to the task,

Along these lines Human interface specialists say a page should render in under 2.5 seconds for maximum usability, Disney's pages frequently take 4-10X as long.

The stuff Disney does not want you to see is still very much hidden.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not true. But again, I love how people here (many who live on a certain forum board that I am not on ) know what I am thinking.

See, I could say that you're just happy you found someone has written a story that backs up your World views, so you are happy regardless of the story's merit. But I am not in your head ... (or am I?)

But you do get that just because someone writes something doesn't automatically make it so, right? (in general, not this situation specifically).

:D - @WDW1974 you KNOW what I think!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
1) And to back up everything I said (and others said during MDE, even before rollout)...here's Staggs...

MagicBand probably won’t come to Disneyland in Anaheim, California, because restructuring costs would be too high.

Really...REALLY? It costs too much to roll it out in Cali, but it was "cheap" in WDW? The heck?

2) Staggs seems to be suggesting that the MagicBand may not be necessary in the future.

This is the same man who said it would increase Guest Spending through impulse purchases.

3) That’s hardly a sign of failure.

Yes, it is , as that is exactly what they promised. Over and over and over and over again, while the fan community (which they ignore) said it wouldn't. And, it didn't...did it.

4) Staggs is quietly making a point that’s broader and more important than the carping of employees worried about the future of their project.

Is it? Or was it just the fact the WDW needed major infrastructure investments, and the current leadership decided to waste millions on doing that, while shrouding it under "Next Gen"?

And now it's just protecting their .

5) Moving to a smartphone-based MyMagic+ infrastructure may now be more reflective of the realities of the rapidly changing technology landscape.

This entire sentence, if you've read my other posts, is complete nonsense.

6) Perhaps it would be foolish to try to keep up with the Apples and Googles of the world when it comes to wearables.

And this one, if you follow the tech world, is also complete nonsense.

7) "We help ourselves by being less precious, [like] ‘Gee, we invented this MagicBand, we’ve got to use that everywhere,’ " Staggs says. "We’ll use it everywhere it makes sense. But we don’t want to let something we think is cool and cutting edge become a legacy item that we’re trying to drag along."

Which is code for "we have patents."

8) If "serving the purpose we set out to serve," as Iger puts it

I'm not even gonna respond...I'll let Walt respond.

9) "The key is the collaboration across literally everything from food and beverage, IT folks, online folks, our industrial engineers, our merchandise folks, our core operations team, the finance organization, across all of those," Staggs tells me.

Yeah, he learned that IT isn't as stupid as he thought they were.

10) After all, he tells me, "[This was] one of the most collaborative processes that we’ve undertaken, and we tend to be pretty collaborative by nature."

Yeah, everything you say he said is pretty much contrary to everything you said before....sounds to me like it was a cluster picnic.

Ok, I'll write up a summary in a bit....but, really great article. Everyone should read it in full.

PhotoDave219

Steve Jobs said so.

Its likely that Jobs was unaware that the existing components (KTTW, FP) already existed. Those are great ideas. Bringing them to a smart phone is a necessary infrastructure upgrade thats needed in this day and age.

Perhaps he also was referring to the interactivity part of this project, that got clipped like Sonny at the Causeway. Seriously, i met someone that was totally all like Don Corleone going "Look at how they massacred my boy" in reference to that part of the project getting killed.

However, Its nothing to strut around like Mick Jagger about.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Its likely that Jobs was unaware that the existing components (KTTW, FP) already existed. Those are great ideas. Bringing them to a smart phone is a necessary infrastructure upgrade thats needed in this day and age.

Perhaps he also was referring to the interactivity part of this project, that got clipped like Sonny at the Causeway. Seriously, i met someone that was totally all like Don Corleone going "Look at how they massacred my boy" in reference to that part of the project getting killed.

However, Its nothing to strut around like Mick Jagger about.
It was a neccesary infrastructure upgrade. The bands, not so much.

In the long run, this will be a fantastic investment for WDW. And, if that is what Iger/Staggs and company intended for WDW, I tip my hat.

They WERE correct that WDW was largely lacking in that respect.

What I'm NOT sure is why they couldn't just say "Our wifi sucks and we need and App" instead of turning it into some Park interface system.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I can plan out my whole trip in advance, as long as I do it on day x for dining and day y for fastpasses....otherwise, I'm screwed.

My point, and I'm still thinking about my summary of this well written article, is that I'm not sure it brought much to the parks at all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom