My Unpopular WDW Opinion - post yours!

dreamscometrue

I have always loved DAK and been able to spend most of a day there. With the addition of Pandora, it is now tied with MK as my favourite park. (Note: Canadian spelling of favourite ;))

I like New Fantasyland, and the Tangled Restroom area.

Besides the Potter stuff, most of Universal's 2 theme parks (Volcano Bay is NOT a 3rd park) are overrated.. Fun parks to visit for a day (2 max), but the vibe I get is glorified Six Flags.

The short version: WDW >>> DL

Got flamed hard for this when I made a post about our trip to DL a couple of years ago. Admittedly, some of my metaphors about specific aspects of DL were taken more broadly than I intended (hence some of the flaming) and, based on the feedback on my post, my expectations were quite (too?) high after reading these forums for several years, but I still feel this way.

Lad

Got flamed hard for this when I made a post about our trip to DL a couple of years ago. Admittedly, some of my metaphors about specific aspects of DL were taken more broadly than I intended (hence some of the flaming) and, based on the feedback on my post, my expectations were quite (too?) high after reading these forums for several years, but I still feel this way.

I agree. Disneyland Park is a better park than Magic Kingdom but I generally prefer the other three WDW parks to DCA (yes, even Epcot and DHS in their current states) and find a visit to WDW to overall be a better experience. More to do, feels like more of a getaway, and although there is definite room for improvement in certain areas, I'm not of the mind that the things at WDW are as poor quality as a lot of others seem to think they are.

correcaminos

I agree with you on that actually. I went to both as a child and DL was more disappointing. My biggest issue is that I do not feel immersed at DL. Hearing sirens, seeing power lines from my window etc. Not cool. DL might be a better park for me than MK, but over all I like WDW better.

Meh, no need for sorries. I feel the exact opposite. I love everything about the value resorts and think the Deluxe resorts are way overrated and way overpriced.
Something for everyone for sure!

Magenta Panther

Figured it would be fun to start a thread of people posting their unpopular opinions. We all have attractions that we love, but sometimes we just can't see what others love about certain aspects of WDW. I'll go first.

I think Expedition Everest is totally lame! I don't understand why people love this ride so much. Yes, its theming is great, and the working Yeti was awesome. But beyond that, it's a boring roller coaster to me. Going backwards is sort of cool I guess, but I've always felt the ride itself has too much of a buildup before you actually get to a ROLLER COASTER type part. I don't like the stopping and starting aspect of it. Even the first time I ever went on it, my siblings were screaming about how amazing they thought it was, but I was underwhelmed. I remember we immediately went on it again, thinking maybe I had missed something, yet I still felt underwhelmed. And I'm a guy who LOVES storylines with my rides! (Heck, my screen name is after Rod Serling for crying out loud - Tower of Terror is one of the best pieces of imagineering.)

One of my best friends went on it for the first time last Labor Day, and he concurred that it is overrated and was underwhelmed. In fact, I will ride Space Mountain over Everest any day of the week! Still a better ride, even right now in questionable shape. :p

Feel free to disagree with me - that's what this thread is all about, unpopular opinions!
Your turn! What is your unpopular opinion? :)

Agree with you about Everest. Both the broken yeti and the animated scene of the yeti tearing up the tracks are cringe-worthy. Cheap and lame. All in all, Everest is just a sort-of pretty rollercoaster, but that's it.

I also agree about the Tower of Terror. It is note-perfect in terms of storytelling, atmospherics, and execution. Thank god the Tower is safe in DHS. May it ever be so.

My unpopular (with some here anyway) opinion is that no non-Disney-generated/adapted IPs should have a presence in the parks. Marvel, Star Wars, Muppets, Avatar - none of them should be in the parks. There is too much good stuff in the Disney vault that is not represented in the parks in favor of purchased IPs. Where are the Pride Lands? Where is The Jungle Book? Where is Mary Poppins? Or, how about Disney creates NEW concepts for park attractions? Would a Haunted Mansion even be built today, given current corporate attitudes towards "brands", "platforms", and merchandising? The creative spirit is dying in the Disney company when it comes to the parks IMO. The suits seem to think of the parks as merchandising opportunities, and that's pretty much it. Very sad to see. NOT what Walt intended. This corporate attitude has lessened my enthusiasm for the parks, frankly. It's hard to get excited for them anymore. I never thought that would happen. I still have hope that someday, some new announcement about attractions will get me excited again. I hope I hope...

DfromATX

Soarin' really is not great at all anymore. Wish they would change it again to something better.

I cannot stand nearly anything about the value resorts. Loud, garish theming, and no better than a motel 6. Sorry...

I like Soarin', but I admit I'm not fond of the value resorts and I totally agree about the theming.

wvdisneyfamily

Adding another one - I don't like the Polynesian. Most disappointing stay ever! Absolutely filthy room. That was pre refurb so I might give it a chance again one day.

danyoung56

Coronado Springs - least favorite Disney resort. I'll take a value over this one.

My favorite hotel in all of WDW - even over the deluxes, and I've stayed at most of them. Love the theming, love the landscaping, love the rooms laid out around the 15 acre Lago Dorado Lagoon.

My unpopular opinion - I really like FastPass. I realize my fun is on the back of others standing in those long standby lines. But in the old days, if the line was longer than 30 minutes or so, I wouldn't go. Now, with FP, I can plan on visiting even the busiest attraction during prime time. If you know how to work it, and go on the people-eating attractions when other lines are long, it can be very successful.

The Empress Lilly

Moderate resorts are overrated. Paying more than a Value for multiple bus stops, marginally upgraded rooms, and lots o' walking that everyone wants to avoid is just not my thing. Might as well pony up for Deluxe or settle for a Value.
Good points actually, all of them.

And yet, I think walking the grounds of the Caribbean and the Coronado a most pleasant experience. Some of the prettier resorts areas in all of WDW.

(Pity exactly these two stand to be woefully diminished by ill-fitting new development. Nothing good in WDW remains beyond the greedy clutches of modern management)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom