My thoughts on Harry potter and Disney's plans

coasterphil

The current plans show that Dueling Dragons is going to be re-modeled to reflect the Triwiziard Tournament from Harry Potter. Supposedly the queue is going to stay the same with the addition of a pre-show centering around the Goblet of Fire. I think it will work, but it is silly to just re-work/replace an existing ride. However, it seems like Disney has fell into doing the same thing over at Epcot.

I think the key will be how effectively they can re-create Hogsemade and all of the shops. Supposedly they will feature Harry Potter food and beverages along with unique shopping experiences. I have a feeling this is the area that will turn out to be quite lacking. My guess it will be filled with t-shirts and keychains. Perhaps it will have a shop where guests can buy wands, but I am not expecting anything above that.
If Universal was smart they'd be sure to do a great job in the merch department since Potter fans will go nuts for that stuff and that is really where the money is, not so much the ticket sales.

Spike-in-Berlin

I may be in the minority on this, but I don't see Disney doing anything new or big in the near future. I see refurbs and general maintenance type stuff getting the majority of the cash, and I honestly think that we may have many years to go before we see another true Disney style ride that we all know and love, ie something like Splash Mountain.

As the disney mountains are still the most popular rides and Adventureland definitely needs a real addition (the last big one was PotC in the 70ies!) and not just some kiddie ride like Flying Carpets (not even a B-Ticket in my eyes) or some classic attraction annihilating like the "New Management" I expect something like Fire Mountain in Adventureland.

Katherine

I have never been to Universal but when Harry Potter opens... you better bet I'm finally going to go. I love disney but I don't feel that Harry Potter=Disney. I feel like if they had won the rights that creating a land/attraction based on a book/movie that wasn't disney to begin with would be out of place. I love both HP and Disney but I never really saw the two coming together. I feel like it fits in better at Universal and I'm stoked to see what they do with it. However, I do hope WDW will add something new (something Indy? or add a new "thrill" to MK? i don't know).

Anywho, I recently started watching clips on Youtube of Universal rides and they are impressive and their coasters are probably more thrilling and intense but Walt wanted to create a place where fathers and daughters can both enjoy together and big thrills don't really fit into the vision he had (some would argue that the tea cups don't either though... haha:p). I hope to go to Universal sometime though to see for myself (I'd love to see the Dr. Seuss area, and even though AA dinosaurs kinda scare me I think the Jurassic Park area looks amazing in a lot of the pics I've seen).

I know that some may disagree, but I think that HP will bring in quite a lot of business to Universal that may not all translate positively for Disney. I know for me, I've never been to Universal, but when HP opens I'm certainly going to go. I think that this is Universal trying to dominate where Disney has before, and I think that they could possibly partially succeed. Disney, though I hate to admit it, hasn't added anything recently that has blown people's mind. Everest is a great coaster, but it's just that, a coaster (not that anyone could get me on it! :lookaroun) Soarin was already in CA and TSS simply isn't going to attract people like HP.

I think there'll be some people like me. Disney fans who'll go to Universal for HP. I certainly hope it'll be awesome. I trust them, especially that JK Rowling is working with them. I can't wait!!! :sohappy:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Here is a small collage I made of IOA several years ago showing off some of the theming:

ioa.jpg

To say Disney is automatically better themed than a place that you know nearly nothing about and never visited is perposterous. I mean IOA was built with ex-Disney Imagineers with MORE money than Disney has been investing in their new parks.

There are a lot of little details all over IOA that didn't have to be there, most people wouldn't notice them, but they're there. Like listening to the guys playing a card game right after you enter the front of the park, and the various interactive pieces in Marvel Island, the phone number in the Spiderman ride on the theater that is a REAL phone number about the theater when you call it.

KCMouse

I went to IOA two years ago in October. This was the first and only time there. We got there at about 11 in the morning and we were done in about 3 hours. Nobody was at the park. We rode the Hulk twice, Spider-man twice, and Dueling Dragons 3 times. I was totally bored by Poseidon's Adventure, I thought it was a poor man's Stitch.

I will say that there guest services were great. We bought the IOA's version of the fastpass for like $40 per person, they refunded our money and gave free admission to Universal. We were done with that park in about 2 hours as well.

To me, the theming lacked and was not cohesive at IOA. It looked like they skimped on the budget's. The Hulk and Dragons are something you can find at your neighborhood Six Flags. Just change the names to Batman and Superman and you have the ingredients for a Six Flags.

Spider-man was awesome though.:sohappy:

Apparntly I hit on a sensitve subject with what was supposed to be a innocent statement. I believe Disney would do a better job. You Universal Fans are obviously going to try and have be burned at the stake, but that is my opinion and it won't be changed until I go to the Wizarding World and am taken aback by the marvel of Universals superior themeing. Until than I will enjoy Disney.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Exactly, I don't understand why people love Everest so much. As far as I'm concerned it's a tremendous disappointment because it doesn't offer the thrills of a true coaster and doesn't offer a really great themed/story experience on the ride itself (the queue is wonderful though). The whole thing hinges on a Yeti that only works half the time, and even when it does you're only seeing it for a brief second, and I really don't understand that.
:sohappy:
I was totally bored by Poseidon's Adventure, I thought it was a poor man's Stitch.
What? :confused:
The Hulk and Dragons are something you can find at your neighborhood Six Flags. Just change the names to Batman and Superman and you have the ingredients for a Six Flags.
Yes, and I'll also find one of the greatest theme park queues around at a Six Flags park.

It's funny how no one ever mentions RNRC... like DD, it has a great queue, but after that it's an indoor coaster with some cardboard cutouts. Six Flags could pull that off too.

Skip

:sohappy:

What? :confused:

Yes, and I'll also find one of the greatest theme park queues around at a Six Flags park.

It's funny how no one ever mentions RNRC... like DD, it has a great queue, but after that it's an indoor coaster with some cardboard cutouts. Six Flags could pull that off too.

What he said! :sohappy:

(Seriously - how is Poseidon's Fury like Stitch in ANY way? The closest comparison I could come up with is they are both shows in three separate rooms...)

-Skip

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Apparntly I hit on a sensitve subject with what was supposed to be a innocent statement. I believe Disney would do a better job. You Universal Fans are obviously going to try and have be burned at the stake, but that is my opinion and it won't be changed until I go to the Wizarding World and am taken aback by the marvel of Universals superior themeing. Until than I will enjoy Disney.

Congratulations, you have qualified for your Ubber Fan pin.

Legacy

I'm not "loyal" or a "fan" of any one company.

Shoot, right now the only pass I have is for SeaWorld.

It's a situation where we, "the Universal fans," simply feel it is unfair to have an opinion against Universal if you have never been. It's the same concept behind Disney fans getting out of shape because their friends refuse to go to Disney, "because it's a kiddie-place."

It's a situation where we, "the Universal fans," simply feel it is unfair to have an opinion against Universal if you have never been. "

I can understand that and I think maybe I was a little harsh so I'll reserve judgement until I get there but all the universal hate I've heard has given me an unfair bias which I'll try to overcome just for you Legacy.

Spike-in-Berlin

It's a situation where we, "the Universal fans," simply feel it is unfair to have an opinion against Universal if you have never been. It's the same concept behind Disney fans getting out of shape because their friends refuse to go to Disney, "because it's a kiddie-place."

I don't have an opinion against Universal. I have never been there so far and I definitely will go some day, not only because of "Harry-Potter-World" but also of Twister.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I started a new thread on Diseny Secrets "Things about Disney you don't know..."

Take all the time you need on there and I'd appreciate the secrets!

I searched the Disney Secrets forum and can't find your thread. :veryconfu

Perhaps you should put a link.:shrug:

I searched the Disney Secrets forum and can't find your thread. :veryconfu

Perhaps you should put a link.:shrug:

Oh, I did it wrong. I'm still new to this! I did it on this (General Discussion) forum. It's "Things you might not know about Disney".
Sorry, didn't realize Disney Secrets had its own forum!:confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom