My thoughts on Harry potter and Disney's plans

So... because Universal has five exposed coasters (I'll be easy on you by counting Dueling Dragons twice and the two kiddie coasters) Disney is better. I see track on the Barnstormer. I've never seen a train go up a mountain so steep like on Everest... or circle back on itself in a helix... completely illogical. And... yeah... you can see the supports on the drop outside the mountain. And you can see the rafters on the inside the mountain. If you have never experienced Spiderman, Poseiden's Fury, Jurassic Park (the whole island), Dueling Dragon's queue, the Revenge of the Mummer or Men in Black: Alien Attack, then don't knock Universal's theming. You look like you have no idea what you're talking about.

I see your point, and Universal does do a good job. To say they dont do theming well is ridiculous. But if you take something like Hulk or Dueling Dragons and compare it to something like Everest, I think its very obvious which one is far better themed. I think thats why people equate some of the coasters at IOA to something like Six Flags. Not saying they have no themeing, but they seem alot closer to a regular coaster than Everest does.

Legacy

I see your point, and Universal does do a good job. To say they dont do theming well is ridiculous. But if you take something like Hulk or Dueling Dragons and compare it to something like Everest, I think its very obvious which one is far better themed. I think thats why people equate some of the coasters at IOA to something like Six Flags. Not saying they have no themeing, but they seem alot closer to a regular coaster than Everest does.

I completely understand where their logic is coming from... but to me Everest isn't that great of a ride. It's a backwards helix, a drop, a helix, a bunny hop, a yeti and turn. There is an actual story to the Hulk and Dueling Dragons... but most Disney fans don't care simply because the ride's outside. They're better rides by themselves and don't need a mountain to hide it.

I completely understand where their logic is coming from... but to me Everest isn't that great of a ride. It's a backwards helix, a drop, a helix, a bunny hop, a yeti and turn. There is an actual story to the Hulk and Dueling Dragons... but most Disney fans don't care simply because the ride's outside. They're better rides by themselves and don't need a mountain to hide it.

If you look at Everest from a pure coaster stand point (and if your a big coaster fan), yea its kinda dull as far as coasters go. Even RnR is kinda tame (except for the beginning that is). There is definitely a good story behind everest though, disney went outa there way to make it. Now RnR could use some help with a story, really dont like the Aerosmith angle hehe:)

coasterphil

Exactly, I don't understand why people love Everest so much. As far as I'm concerned it's a tremendous disappointment because it doesn't offer the thrills of a true coaster and doesn't offer a really great themed/story experience on the ride itself (the queue is wonderful though). The whole thing hinges on a Yeti that only works half the time, and even when it does you're only seeing it for a brief second, and I really don't understand that.

SWatsi

There is a story to all three of those rides. You could say that Hulk is just a quick launch and a few loops.
Nether-the-less I love the Hulk, and Duelling Dragons.. and as of my last trip Everest.

As for Universal's theming, Jurassic Park and the Lost Continent are brilliant, as are a lot of the lines, with great sets. The rides I believe have been steadily improving over the years (as they should - with the exception of The Simpson's Ride which is poor...), so there should be hope for Harry Potter.

I do worry that there won't be enough new attractions, and that they are going to re-theme too much of the Lost Continent. Is Duelling Dragons being re-themed - that I worry about because the queue is great, but not fitting for Potter I feel.

asuburbanman

The current plans show that Dueling Dragons is going to be re-modeled to reflect the Triwiziard Tournament from Harry Potter. Supposedly the queue is going to stay the same with the addition of a pre-show centering around the Goblet of Fire. I think it will work, but it is silly to just re-work/replace an existing ride. However, it seems like Disney has fell into doing the same thing over at Epcot.

I think the key will be how effectively they can re-create Hogsemade and all of the shops. Supposedly they will feature Harry Potter food and beverages along with unique shopping experiences. I have a feeling this is the area that will turn out to be quite lacking. My guess it will be filled with t-shirts and keychains. Perhaps it will have a shop where guests can buy wands, but I am not expecting anything above that.

EpcoTim

I may be in the minority on this, but I don't see Disney doing anything new or big in the near future. I see refurbs and general maintenance type stuff getting the majority of the cash, and I honestly think that we may have many years to go before we see another true Disney style ride that we all know and love, ie something like Splash Mountain.

Spike-in-Berlin

The mountain doesn't hide, the mountain is the theme.

DisneyRoxMySox

Who is to say that if Disney did win the rights to HP, that they would have built an entire themed land to HP. Perhaps they would have just made a dark ride for the studios. So it is impossible to say that Disney would have done it better than Universal, as we don't know where Disney would have gone with it.

Though I feel Disney does do a better job than Universal when it comes to theming.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom