My son made me loose some magic!!! :(

L2DAVI

Original Poster
On sunday 8/9 my 4-1/2 year old son made me want to cry.:( He told me that "MICKEY MOUSE is just a character. He's not real, he's fake." When I asked what he meant by "fake" he said "It's just a guy or girl in a costume"! I felt like crying. The Disney magic is gone as well as his "childhood" meaning santa, easter bunny, etc... Has anyone else had this happen?

Laura

On sunday 8/9 my 4-1/2 year old son made me want to cry.:( He told me that "MICKEY MOUSE is just a character. He's not real, he's fake." When I asked what he meant by "fake" he said "It's just a guy or girl in a costume"! I felt like crying. The Disney magic is gone as well as his "childhood" meaning santa, easter bunny, etc... Has anyone else had this happen?

:lookaroun

Well I'd think that MOST 4-5 year old kids would have figured out that they are just costumes. I know both my kids knew it by that age. But they still enjoy going up to the characters and hugging them and you can tell they are experiencing "childhood magical feelings" when they do so. :lookaroun

Just because you're smart enough to figure out there is no such thing as a 5 foot mouse that walks upright doesn't mean you've lost your childhood and can no longer enjoy Disney. :hammer:

Laura

Wait I think this could be interpreted in 2 ways. The other way being that he made you lose your magic because he informed you that Mickey Mouse was a person in a costume, something that you hadn't figured out up until that point. Yeah, that would be a bummer. :(

WDWmazprty

Well I'd think that MOST 4-5 year old kids would have figured out that they are just costumes. I know both my kids knew it by that age. But they still enjoy going up to the characters and hugging them and you can tell they are experiencing "childhood magical feelings" when they do so. :lookaroun

Just because you're smart enough to figure out there is no such thing as a 5 foot mouse that walks upright doesn't mean you've lost your childhood and can no longer enjoy Disney. :hammer:

Yeah, exactly. My kids know too. They also know about Santa Claus , the Easter Bunny, etc. They're kids, but they're still smart enough to be able to still have fun and appreciate the characters.

Don't worry, he'll get over it and have fun. As long as YOU still show you have fun with it, eventhough you know it's not real.

momofnine

How true, I know that and I still LOVE Disney!:lol:

Wilt Dasney

I like almost everything about Disney...with the head characters being a big exception. They're cool to see in parades or walking around, but I will never understand the appeal of going up to have a "conversation" with a mouse/dog/duck/chipmunk who can't talk back. I don't remember liking them much as a kid, either (although my mom tells me I grabbed Minnie's face to kiss her nose when I was just old enough to walk). :lol:

Anyway, I guess the moral is I enjoy Disney and still feel like a big kid in some ways, even though I know Mickey is a college sophomore with a hangover. :shrug:

jessicaj

Yes, my daughter is 7 and she surly gets it, although she has never told me. I think on some level she plays along so that I don't get upset that 'she knows'

maggiegrace1

Yeah, exactly. My kids know too. They also know about Santa Claus , the Easter Bunny, etc. They're kids, but they're still smart enough to be able to still have fun and appreciate the characters.

Don't worry, he'll get over it and have fun. As long as YOU still show you have fun with it, eventhough you know it's not real.
Know what about Santa Claus and The Easter Bunny?

lumpydj

We told DD (10) about Santa this year. It was heartbreaking! :cry: Well, she quickly connected the dots and stated that the characters in Disney weren't real either. :brick: Well, we told her that meeting the characters was like meeting the actors of movies. They are not necessarily the people they play, but they are still famous and exciting to meet. She seemed to buy it and still wanted to get their autographs and pics with them when we were there in May. :p I was so worried it was going to ruin the magic for her. Luckily, it hasn't.:sohappy:

Wilt Dasney

They're real, and they're spectacular.
Thread win. :lol:

Housewives1_468x502.jpg

(Teri Hatcher isn't real, either.) :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom