My son made me loose some magic!!! :(

disfan411

Housewives1_468x502.jpg

Is there a Teri Hatcher meet and greet in Disney? I missed that the last time I went.

toetheline29

Awww... it's kind of sad, but at the same time, no reason to believe the magic is gone. As the others have stated, they still enjoyed the characters after they figured it out.

When I was about that age, I said something to that effect to my mom, and her reaction was to tell me to not tell my younger siblings. I don't know why I said it in the first place, but I remember being greatly saddened that she had affirmed my statements (I guess I never really believed what I was saying about the characters and costumes).

And then, at some point, I forgot about this exchange, and continued to enjoy meeting the characters for years. So, don't worry; all is not lost. :wave:

Dragonrider1227

Me too. I don't remember if I "knew" when I was little and went in '90 but what's wrong with playing a little pretend? Besides, they might as well be after all the extensive training they go through to be like these characters. ;)

aeillill

This reminds me of when I was little and I didn't tell my mother for a few years I found out about Santa Claus because I didn't want to ruin it for her.

craz4disney

:animwink:I have a 4 yr old who doesnt know and a 7 year old that chooses to believe. I do not tell her any different! We try to make as much magic as possible while they are still young enough for us to enjoy it! :animwink:

Exactly! In fact, I would actually be a little concerned about a child that age not being able to tell.

happymom52003

Exactly! In fact, I would actually be a little concerned about a child that age not being able to tell.

I don't know...4 and 5 is still a bit young. If they know at that age, it is usually because they not only have been told by older friends or siblings, but also their parents have verified it for them. I taught pre kindergarten for a few years (age 4) and then taught first grade (which is ages 6 and 7) and I can tell you that the majority of the kids in first grade still believed in Santa, Mickey, etc. Think about it....first grade is THE year for the tooth fairy....and most kids believe in her at some point, even if it is short lived.

I'd have to argue with the statement that MOST 4 and 5 year olds know, based off of my experience with many children during my years of teaching. Sure, some figure it out...but definetly not most of them. Even the ones that had heard the news had a hard time believing it...it was very easy to convince them that Santa was indeed real, even if their older cousin had told them otherwise. I'd say that 7, maybe 6 is a more realistic age for kids to start figuring out (in my opinion). And by the begining of second grade, the vast majority of kids know....and the ones who still believe won't admit it!

As far as my own kids go, I have a four and a half year old who is nowhere near being able to figure it out on her own. Even if I told her, she would not believe me....lol. And my 7 year old still believes, although I am sure the days for that are numbered (but I will drag it out as long as I can!).

As far as the magic being gone, sure...there is a bit of sadness for most parents when they know kids have figured it out...but in no way does it take away from the magic! Even as an adult, when I see Mickey at WDW, I never think "Oh, this is some person in a costume"....I think "Wow! Its Mickey!!". There truly is something magical about Disney, because I NEVER feel that way when Chucke Cheese approaches me....lol.

dismedic

iIs all imagination for young and old , believe in what you want, No age limit on this its what you and they choose to believe in.

A child can tell at any age that something is amiss its part of development, how they choose to partake in it is up to them most just go on and as they get a year or two older the natural course of things take hold, DS was 7 and DD was 8 to this day she still says she new before she let us know now teenagers . No big issue its all about believing in what you want.

In some ways even today being teenagers they still have the magic in their eys with the characters .

agent86

I don't know...4 and 5 is still a bit young. If they know at that age, it is usually because they not only have been told by older friends or siblings, but also their parents have verified it for them. I taught pre kindergarten for a few years (age 4) and then taught first grade (which is ages 6 and 7) and I can tell you that the majority of the kids in first grade still believed in Santa, Mickey, etc. Think about it....first grade is THE year for the tooth fairy....and most kids believe in her at some point, even if it is short lived.

I'd have to argue with the statement that MOST 4 and 5 year olds know, based off of my experience with many children during my years of teaching. Sure, some figure it out...but definetly not most of them. Even the ones that had heard the news had a hard time believing it...it was very easy to convince them that Santa was indeed real, even if their older cousin had told them otherwise. I'd say that 7, maybe 6 is a more realistic age for kids to start figuring out (in my opinion). And by the begining of second grade, the vast majority of kids know....and the ones who still believe won't admit it!

As far as my own kids go, I have a four and a half year old who is nowhere near being able to figure it out on her own. Even if I told her, she would not believe me....lol. And my 7 year old still believes, although I am sure the days for that are numbered (but I will drag it out as long as I can!).

As far as the magic being gone, sure...there is a bit of sadness for most parents when they know kids have figured it out...but in no way does it take away from the magic! Even as an adult, when I see Mickey at WDW, I never think "Oh, this is some person in a costume"....I think "Wow! Its Mickey!!". There truly is something magical about Disney, because I NEVER feel that way when Chucke Cheese approaches me....lol.

There's a difference, though, between Santa, the Tooth Fairy, etc., versus a big mouse costume. Kids are told that Santa is a person, and what that person looks like. When kids meet Santa, it's usually at the mall or department store to get their pictures taken, and the guy in the Santa costume generally fits the description. The Tooth Fairy doesn't even have a specific "look" so that's really up to the kids' imagination of whether they want to believe she exists. It's really not all that altogether different from adults who believe in Bigfoot, ghosts or UFOs. With Mickey Mouse, though, it's different. For a child (even a very young one) not to be able to realize that's a costume, and to instead actually believe that's Mickey "in the flesh" would be cause for concern.

MrsToad71

I remember when I was that age going on 20,000 Leagues under the sea and telling my parents "Those fish aren't real, they are on wires" but I still loved the ride! Same thing for the characters- I knew they weren't real, but I still thought it was so magical and fun to get a picture with them and get their autograph.

I wouldn't let it bum you out too bad- I'm sure your son still has a blast at Disney- he's just at that age where he is starting to figure stuff out on his own. :)

durangojim

Don't worry about it. It's going to happen at some point, and the real magic of Disney is not the guys dressed up in costumes -- it's the feeling my wife and I have when were with our children at the park, going on rides together, or thinking about our trips afterwards. Basically it's all about having fun together and making great memories as a family, which I still have when my parents took me to WDW and DL as a child.

sublimesting

When I was 4 I would worry during Christmas Eve that a guy was going to break into my house. This seemed to frightening of a prospect that I decided my parents would allow no such thing. So I told my parents "There's no such thing as Santa is there?" and they said "No." I still left cookies and milk every year until I got older and left myself cookies and whiskey.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom