My Magic + details ...

KingStefan

Although I read a post on another thread that contradicted that. Don't know the veracity of either, but the other post said the intention was to get rid of paper FPs as soon as the FP+ was fully operational and all the bugs were worked out.

ASilmser

I am the one who posted that there are no plans to get rid of the regular FastPasses. I was repeating what I heard from a number of people who were on hand during our MyMagic test last week. They were the people who Disney has trained to specifically answer our questions and address our concerns. It seemed obvious that they had been given the information as part of their training. I would consider them to be a credible source, at least for the current "company line". I wouldn't be surprised if, in the future, it was phased out. But I also think that, because of privacy reasons, Disney's commitment to making all phases of the MyMagic+ program an opt-in option, and their commitment to offering FastPass as a free service to EVERYONE, that Disney will not risk the bad Press of discontinuing the regular FP option for awhile.

Although I read a post on another thread that contradicted that. Don't know the veracity of either, but the other post said the intention was to get rid of paper FPs as soon as the FP+ was fully operational and all the bugs were worked out.[/quote

Last edited:

luv

Question: has Disney said they are getting rid of regular fast pass after the FP+ debuts?
No. But I'm of the opinion that they will. It's just my own guess, though. Obviously, I think I'm right, lol. But I don't know anything. I have no real insider sources or anything.

This is just my guess, as a person.

ginnymack

Fast pass+ will make a great first impression. In theory, I will be able to go directly from airport to park with out checking in. I can enter the park at 3pm and ride TSM. When I get to my resort, I will not even need to stop at the front desk, because I will have checked in online, will be wearing my key, and will have received my room number via text.

After that...no thanks.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Fast pass+ will make a great first impression. In theory, I will be able to go directly from airport to park with out checking in. I can enter the park at 3pm and ride TSM. When I get to my resort, I will not even need to stop at the front desk, because I will have checked in online, will be wearing my key, and will have received my room number via text.

After that...no thanks.
Well, not quite in theory, and not quite without "check-in". But, close to that.

You do not need to stop by the front desk, as they have CMs with iPads to process you outside. So, think of it more like a "mobile" front desk. But the bands to not alleviate the need to "check-in"...

And no, you won't ever get your room number by text anytime soon, and that is not how the system works now...

It's a bad idea, which locks Disney into some sort of commitment. That would be a very bad idea on Disney's part, however, having someone meet you with an ambiguous iPad and "check you in" works fine.

You can, however, ease your ME check in experience, hotel check in experience, and overall experience with them now.

How do I know? I just did it Friday.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I am the one who posted that there are no plans to get rid of the regular FastPasses. I was repeating what I heard from a number of people who were on hand during our MyMagic test last week. They were the people who Disney has trained to specifically answer our questions and address our concerns. It seemed obvious that they had been given the information as part of their training. I would consider them to be a credible source, at least for the current "company line". I wouldn't be surprised if, in the future, it was phased out. But I also think that, because of privacy reasons, Disney's commitment to making all phases of the MyMagic+ program an opt-in option, and their commitment to offering FastPass as a free service to EVERYONE, that Disney will not risk the bad Press of discontinuing the regular FP option for awhile.

For a while...

The fact that none of the FP machines accept the bands (rather only the KTTW cards) is evidence that they don't care to continue the paper pass program in the long run. It is not written into Next Gen.

ASilmser

For a while...

The fact that none of the FP machines accept the bands (rather only the KTTW cards) is evidence that they don't care to continue the paper pass program in the long run. It is not written into Next Gen.
I get that…the paper FP's are obviously old-school now. However, Disney is pretty good about long transition periods for phasing out old programs/policies. Heck, aren't you still able to trade in old unused passes for those of similar value? The plan is to offer cards OR bands for now. They have to because of their privacy policy. Each type of pass will have RFID for park entry, but the card will be able to work in the old FP machines. The disadvantage to those is the inability to get them ahead of the day you enter the park AND the fact that there will now be less available because of the FP+ takers. Disney won't force you to use the bands, they'll just "make you an offer you can't refuse".

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I get that…the paper FP's are obviously old-school now. However, Disney is pretty good about long transition periods for phasing out old programs/policies. Heck, aren't you still able to trade in old unused passes for those of similar value? The plan is to offer cards OR bands for now. They have to because of their privacy policy. Each type of pass will have RFID for park entry, but the card will be able to work in the old FP machines. The disadvantage to those is the inability to get them ahead of the day you enter the park AND the fact that there will now be less available because of the FP+ takers. Disney won't force you to use the bands, they'll just "make you an offer you can't refuse".
Exactly. And, having used it a few days ago...they made me an offer I can't refuse. I like the bands and FP+....

durangojim

Does my magical work if you have already purchased tickets from Disney through their website? If I bought tickets from a secondary source and then plan to add them to my reservation when I check in Would i be eligible to get the wristband?

ParentsOf4

It's been apparent since the surprisingly bad press after the official MyMagic+ announcement in January (lots of references to Big Brother) along with an inquiry from a U.S. Congressman (now U.S. Senator) that Disney's original plans for MyMagic+ have evolved considerably.

We now are dealing with a highly fluid situation where "the facts" continue to change. Testing and feedback has been nowhere near as positive as Disney had hoped for and Disney is desperate to implement the changes necessary to make MyMagic+ as popular as possible. Disney is deathly afraid of MyMagic+ being a financial failure; Wall Street is watching.

Until MyMagic+ matures, it's likely that we will receive changing and sometimes conflicting information from Cast Members. What's true today may not be true tomorrow.

The good news to take from this is Disney is listening and is doing what it can in order to gain wider acceptance of MyMagic+. Please keep in mind that no matter what they do, there will be some aspects of MyMagic+ that some will dislike, even hate. To paraphrase, it's not possible to please all the people all the time.

The bad news is that, more and more, it's looking like Disney spent considerable resources on a system that won't be the revenue driver they once hoped for. MyMagic+ probably won't be any more popular than the system it was supposed to replace which itself always was something of a disappointment. Disney will have spent a boatload of money that could have been better spent elsewhere.

Ultimately, MyMagic+ could turn out to be yet another recent example demonstrating that corporate Disney lacks the creative leadership to provide a clear vision for Walt Disney World's future.

PolyPhan

Just received the package for our late August trip. Made dinner and fast-pass+ reservations with no problems. We were able to go in and change fast-pass+ times other than what Disney offered, to times that were suitable to us. Regarding the park hopper option, yes its true you can only reserve fast-pass + in one park per day, but it obviously won't prohibit you from visiting all the other parks. You just won't be able to fast-pass there. I mean come on..you can pick a time to go on virtually any attraction at any time you want. All you need to do is plan ahead a little. You also can reserve/change anything via your smart phone. The application was very user friendly and took less than a couple hours to complete for a ten day trip. I say bravo Walt Disney World!

dadddio

Eliminate FP and demand declines. As a result, total wait time decreases and the inexperienced WDW guest has a much more enjoyable experience. The experienced guest, well, they're going to come back again-and-again no matter what Disney does.

FP+ is not about improving guest satisfaction. Instead, as CFO Jay Rasulo said, “if we can get people to plan their vacation before they leave home, we know that we get more time with them. We get a bigger share of their wallet.”

FP+ is not being implemented for “guests”; it’s being implemented for corporate Disney.
That's true, but they're also implementing FP rules that benefit guests generally. For instance, the one FP per ride per day rule pushes down demand similarly to how youv'e concluded that eliminating FPs would. If a guest like me can no longer ride TSM four times in one day with no line taking maximum advantage of FP, a couple things will happen. First, that guest (me) will only ride that ride once. I won't ride it more than that because it isn't worth it to me to stand in a long line for a ride that Iv'e already ridden (or will soon ride) with no line. Second, since I am only using one FP instead of four, three other people will be able to get FPs for the ride. Third, those three people are unlikely to ride via the SB line for the same reason that I didn't, so that makes the SB line three people shorter. Fourth, since the four of us are riding via the FP line instead of the SB line, the company is able to manage when we ride the ride. This will tend to push down peak wait times for the ride.

dadddio

Perhaps you do not know or forgot to include a little important information about Universal that is very significant that Disney would love to add as an "enhancement" to MM minus in the future. I have not been to Uni in probably five or more years but I remember a Fast Pass at Universal was offered for sale above the cost of the ticket price. The price goes up and down based on attendance. I believe the price I saw on my long ago visit was in the neighborhood of $70 in addition to park admission the day I was there. I think that was very close to the park admission then which effectively doubled the price with the fast pass option. It also had the restriction of using it only once per attraction. I will assure you Disney has discussed this in planning MM minus as a future enhancement. Be careful what you wish for or you may see the same option at Disney in the future. I believe Uni rolls the price automatically into the price of an on property hotel and "gives" them to guests staying on property. But the price of a room at Uni probably higher than Disney. I am sure Disney would be glad to do that and increase all rack rates by the appropriate amount even if you diid not want a fast pass. I travel a lot and the majority of resort or even good non-resort hotels love to add on an extra fee over the rack rate for use of the health club or even the pool even if you do not use them. Many people do not notice the fee until check out.

I am sure someone on this site is much more familiar with Uni than I and can verfy or tell me if it is changed.
Regarding the bolded bit, how are you able to make that assurance? Do you actually have some insider information that runs contrary to everything that the company has publically stated or are you one of those that automatically believes that there is a dark underbelly to every decision that the company makes?

MadMax11

I'm concerned about this for the most of the reasons that PolyPhan, above, just dismissed. We go to WDW quite a bit. And we park hop like crazy. Rarely if ever are we in one park for any one day. I'm concerned that flexibility is limited now. I'm fine with all of the rest of it....but the idea that I can only visit one park betrays the idea of staying on property with transportation and being offered parkhopper options in the first place. I like going to Magic Kingdom in the morning and then to EPCOT later in the day...it diminishes some of the value of that for me to limit it like this.

YankeeMouse

I'm good with one park per day for FP+. Pretty easy to walk on if you go first thing in the morning. I've found the trouble is at night when FP are gone for attractions like TSM. This would help. I probably have a unique situation as have flight benefits that allow us to go last minute. Also AP holder. Also out of town, staying on the property. Using the FP+ for the second park in the evening would be great but I'm wondering if we will be squeezed out by advance FP reservations. Any way to tell if it is just us Disneyphiles who are worried about this? Will general public really take advantage of the FP+ system? I've been asked by a lot of people if you need to pay for regular FP or need to be on resort, so will this be getting out to the general public in a way that they take advantage of it and therefore, my downfall :) ?

dadddio

1. I think the Magic Bands are here to stay, and I am a fan of the concept. It was ultra-convenient to be able to have my room key, my charge card, my park passes, my meal plan/snack credits and my FastPasses all in one place. Everyone in our group unanimously agreed that this took a huge weight off of the constant pocket/purse searching that we usually do on our trips for all of the media that we have to keep track of. It was, on a small scale, one of those inventions where you don’t know how you survived before it came along, like a microwave oven, or a smartphone. If they add the photopass to the bands, then life will be pretty slick on a WDW vacation.
The official company word on who will receive the bands 'for free' is annual passholders, resort guests, and photo package purchasers. Therefore, I believe that is pretty much a certainty that the bands/RFID cards will assume the photopass cards purpose.
5. Other thoughts: This is certainly a way of making FastPasses available first to those who are staying on Disney Property for their Vacation.
Sure, they could skew the FP pool in any way that they desired to give priority to any group of guests (ie AP holders, resort guests, spendy resort guests, concierge guests, et al). That being said, they don't seem to be giving resort guests any priority in prebooking FPs over off-site guests. Off-site guests will still be able to prebook FPs 60 days out and access the FP return lines with their RFID-enabled tickets (or MagicBands, if they chose to upgrade to them).
I have also noticed, that as an Annual Passholder, I am able to STILL assign myself FastPasses for any day in the near future, and that some experiences have been added to the list of choices that were not included during our stay. Assuming this is not just a glitch in the system, this should calm the minds of those who have purchased an AP or who might be considering not purchasing one because of this. As long as you link your AP to the MyMagic+ system, you should be able to take advantage of the FastPass+ too.
There has been some talk that AP holders would be limited to prebooking FPs to something like twenty days at a time. As far as a I know, the company hasn't given guidance as to whether this restriction is true.
6. Other thoughts 2: We were told that there are no plans on phasing out the regular FastPasses in the foreseeable future. This is good for those who wish to race to the rides the old-fashioned way. The MagicBands are currently an “opt-in” option.
I'm thinking that it really depends on how you define 'foreseeable future'. My money is that once FP+ is up and running, the old paper FP kiosks will be shut down. There is simply no good reason to have both systems up and running at the same time. It would merely cause confusion and angst.
However, the FastPass+ system will definitely put a damper on the number of regular fastpasses available to the general public (look for Soarin’ to fill up by 11am). It’s Disney’s own special way of sticking it to the one or two day park guest for sure.
I think that it would certainly be a carrot to help people choose FP+, but I don't see it as a move against those who just visit the parks for a few days, since they could simply opt in to FP+.
7. Other thoughts 3: The one thing I see as being an obstacle to the “all bands, no cards” goal is at the security gates of the resorts. To deter the MK parking issue at the contemporary, the guards were asking for room keys at the gate of the resort even though we had bands. This is understandable, but it was a problem for us because we got in the habit of not having a room key readily available. It wasn’t a big deal because we knew (and were told) we might need them for back-up, but when things get up and running, it might be an issue with guests who begin to feel that they don’t need a printed card and don’t have them on them. My guess is that the guards will be asking for a driver’s license and have some sort of device for scanning bands to verify name and the resort check-in status of the guest(s).
Doesn't the Contemporary have two gates; one that is manned by security and one that simply raises when you swipe your card? It seems that they would simply put an RFID reader at the swipe gate. If you are staying at the Contemporary, the gate opens. If not, then you would have to talk to the security guard for access.
8. Other thoughts 4: This new system will let Disney know who shows up for their FP’s and who does not. I could envision Disney giving those who actually show up for their experiences a reward (like an extra fastpass or two) and (maybe) “scolding” those who do not. No more “let’s get a Fastpass just in case. . ."
According to the T&C, there are three limits regarding FPs. There is a limit that can be preselected, a limit to the number that can be held at a time, and a daily limit. Per the T&C, if you no-show a FP window, that FP would still count toward your daily limit.

Last edited:

dadddio

I'm not understanding the bolded bit. What privacy reason are you referring to? The only information that you are required to give to opt in to MM+ is your name. Certainly, a company has a right to the names of the people who are on it's property, so I am not seeing a privacy issue, at all.

dadddio

Guests who use RFID-enabled tickets instead of bands are NOT locked out of using MM+ and will be able to prebook FPs. Having a 'paper' ticket does not lock anyone out of FP+. All those guests will have to do is enter thier ticket numbers into thier electronic profile.

dadddio

Does my magical work if you have already purchased tickets from Disney through their website? If I bought tickets from a secondary source and then plan to add them to my reservation when I check in Would i be eligible to get the wristband?
MM+ will work no matter where you buy your park tickets. If you bought them from a discounter and entered them into your electronic profile, you would be able to prebook FPs and do just about anything that a MagicBand owner can do.

If you are a resort guest, regardless of whether you bought your tickets as part of a package or if you even bought your tickets directly from Disney, you should be getting a MagicBand.

Off-site, non-AP, non-photo package purchasers will not automatically receive a MagicBand. They can either access MM+ by entering their ticket number into their profile or they can choose to upgrade to a MagicBand. Either way, they will be able to get the benefits of MM+ including FP+. The only benefits that they will not have is those that come via the powered RFID of the bands. So basically, the interactive queues won't single them out and Cinderella won't know their names.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom