My live update thread!

EPCOT Explorer

It's conveyed WAY beyond the Attraction's entrance, because the SETTING of the park establishes the Studio and being the star.

If YOU get it, it did it's job. I get it. You get it. Who knows? Joe Shmoe probably got it too. Plus, It's something very invisible, but very much THERE. Even if they can't write all this stuff about it, It's still there and it's still the main focus of their day whether they know it or not, because like I said. The THEME is being carried out EVERYDAY in the experiences, entertainers, and Cast Members. Everything is there bringing the Theme to life, you just have to let it in and enjoy it.

and No, I don't think they allowed filming. I'd watch the Animal Kingdom one again though, it deals ALOT with what I've been talking about, and I'm begining to wonder why I've had to explain it so many times.
:lookaroun :lol:

I hope they get it....:shrug: But, I don't think they do. If I, a Disney fan of the highest degree, have to ASK AND ASK AND ASK, do you thing this even touches them? That's the problem.

And yeah, I'll watch again...:lol::lookaroun

EpcotServo

I hope they get it....:shrug: But, I don't think they do. If I, a Disney fan of the highest degree, have to ASK AND ASK AND ASK, do you thing this even touches them? That's the problem.

And yeah, I'll watch again...:lol::lookaroun

But each answer I give amounts to "You're overthinking it" or "looking for reality in what needs to be unreal".

It's only a problem because you THINK it is. The only reason my posts are long is because it's hard to convince you that A: The Magic Makes Sense, and B: The Magic Works.

And besides, you know you're case at this point has boiled down too "I Don't think the Guests Get It." which is of course a statement that can't be proven or disproven , and has already been established as a question that can be equally accused to EVERY Disney Park, setting, or attraction. THEREFORE, I reach the conclusion that I have proven that

A: The park hereafter referred to as STUDIOS, indeed has a theme.

B: That the park's settings and structure does carry out that Theme.

C: That every item IN the park with the exception of the item of what is referred too as "The Hat", CAN be traced back to the established theme of the park.

D: The only critical aspect in regards to theme, wither guests "Get it" or not can be equally applied to all works of Disney Theme and attractions, THEREFORE Studios is, as originally set out to prove, equal in it's commitment to theme as the other three parks.

Mike:"Well, I think I've more than addressed your Dictionary grievances..."

Crow and Tom Servo: "NO."

Mike: "Wha?"

Tom Servo: "It was more fun to Complain."

EPCOT Explorer

But each answer I give amounts to "You're overthinking it" or "looking for reality in what needs to be unreal".

It's only a problem because you THINK it is. The only reason my posts are long is because it's hard to convince you that A: The Magic Makes Sense, and B: The Magic Works.

And besides, you know you're case at this point has boiled down too "I Don't think the Guests Get It." which is of course a statement that can't be proven or disproven , and has already been established as a question that can be equally accused to EVERY Disney Park, setting, or attraction. THEREFORE, I reach the conclusion that I have proven that

A: The park hereafter referred to as STUDIOS, indeed has a theme.

B: That the park's settings and structure does carry out that Theme.

C: That every item IN the park with the exception of the item of what is referred too as "The Hat", CAN be traced back to the established theme of the park.

D: The only critical aspect in regards to theme, wither guests "Get it" or not can be equally applied to all works of Disney Theme and attractions, THEREFORE Studios is, as originally set out to prove, equal in it's commitment to theme as the other three parks.

Mike:"Well, I think I've more than addressed your Dictionary grievances..."

Crow and Tom Servo: "NO."

Mike: "Wha?"

Tom Servo: "It was more fun to Complain."

Well said...:lol: This has been fun, and I have learned something.:lol::wave:

My middle name is "Overthinking it...":lol:

Wilt Dasney

STAR TOURS
One of the tools used to help you take center stage is by quite literally putting you in the middle of it. Everyone who sat in a theater and watched X-Wings dive into that trench, just wanted to BE THERE. To FEEL THAT. And by taking down the walls and putting you in, by all appearances, a real star ship, for a few brief seconds it's not that hard to pretend you're Luke Skywalker.

TOY STORY MIDWAY MANIA
One thing that most of the attractions share in order to carry at the theme of the park, helps you feel that you're the center of the action, is by putting characters you know and love from entertainment, right next to you. You aren't just watching toys come to life, you ARE a toy. You ARE in Andy's Toybox, and you DO get to play right alongside them.
Isn't this the point of pretty much every dark ride and simulator on property? To put you right in the middle of the action? (excepting the purely educational ones, like SSE)

You don't just watch Peter Pan fight pirates, you hop in an enchanted pirate ship and soar over Neverland. You're not just on a regular safari, you're helping chase down poachers. You're not just studying automobile testing, you're becoming a human test dummy and living it firsthand. Key unifying conceit: "Something exciting is happening, and you are there."

That's why, to me, the whole "putting you in the middle of the action" feels like a cop-out as a unique theme. It's already the theme of pretty much everything at Disney World.

IMO, That's why so many Studios attractions can be put in DL and DCA without losing anything thematically. The idea of "being there" in Star Tours or ToT works just as well in any Disney park...or any genuine theme park on earth, for that matter. It's in no way unique to a park built around studios or making entertainment.

Props on a very well thought out essay here, by the way...even if I'm nitpicking the central thesis. :lol:

EpcotServo

Isn't this the point of pretty much every dark ride and simulator on property? To put you right in the middle of the action? (excepting the purely educational ones, like SSE)

You don't just watch Peter Pan fight pirates, you hop in an enchanted pirate ship and soar over Neverland. You're not just on a regular safari, you're helping chase down poachers. You're not just studying automobile testing, you're becoming a human test dummy and living it firsthand. Key unifying conceit: "Something exciting is happening, and you are there."

That's why, to me, the whole "putting you in the middle of the action" feels like a cop-out as a unique theme. It's already the theme of pretty much everything at Disney World.

IMO, That's why so many Studios attractions can be put in DL and DCA without losing anything thematically. The idea of "being there" in Star Tours or ToT works just as well in any Disney park...or any genuine theme park on earth, for that matter. It's in no way unique to a park built around studios or making entertainment.

Props on a very well thought out essay here, by the way...even if I'm nitpicking the central thesis. :lol:

Any You'd be right, but the concept is "Putting you into and on the center stage of Entertainment." From Movies, Music, to TV shows, It's putting you into the modern Entertainment action. Not just putting you in BLANK, like you stated. Entertainment is pretty far encompassing by nature, so it gets mistaken for Fill in the Blank park, which it isn't.

And about that last part, you could plop any Disney attraction anywhere, if it fits where it's going, which the Studios attractions have thus far. Most of Disneyland's attractions go to other parks, so that's really an discussion about Cloning that I'm not interested in to getting too.
:lol:

Wilt Dasney

Any You'd be right, but the concept is "Putting you into and on the center stage of Entertainment." From Movies, Music, to TV shows, It's putting you into the modern Entertainment action.
This much I agree with. Studios has become a catch-all location for anything remotely related to the world of entertainment.

But I still think the "putting you in it" part is redundant, because that's what theme parks DO by definition...establish a particular theme and then put you in it. For example, you wouldn't say the theme of Epcot is putting you in the middle of technological and cultural discoveries, even though that's precisely what it does. That's the function of the park.

Likewise, the function of the Studios might be putting you in the middle of popular entertainment, but the theme is just popular entertainment. The rest of it is just a description of what theme parks are supposed to do by their very nature. Using it as a marketing point is like a barber shop advertising that they cut hair.

(Heck, even Walt Disney said the whole concept behind Disneyland was making you feel like you had walked into a movie, so the basic idea behind the Studios is to a large extent the same one behind the oldest Disney park out there.)

EpcotServo

This much I agree with. Studios has become a catch-all location for anything remotely related to the world of entertainment.

But I still think the "putting you in it" part is redundant, because that's what theme parks DO by definition...establish a particular theme and then put you in it. For example, you wouldn't say the theme of Epcot is putting you in the middle of technological and cultural discoveries, even though that's precisely what it does. That's the function of the park.

Likewise, the function of the Studios might be putting you in the middle of popular entertainment, but the theme is just popular entertainment. The rest of it is just a description of what theme parks are supposed to do by their very nature.

(Heck, even Walt Disney said the whole concept behind Disneyland was making you feel like you had walked into a movie, so the basic idea behind the Studios is to a large extent the same one behind the oldest Disney park out there.)

Ok, all that aside that still means I've proven what I set out to prove, that Studios isn't any less of a park.

I'm not trying to make Studios look special, just trying to get people to realize it's no less of a Theme Park than any of the other three, and is just as good. Not some dumping place like they treat it.
:dazzle: :lol:

Wilt Dasney

Ok, all that aside that still means I've proven what I set out to prove, that Studios isn't any less of a park.

I'm not trying to make Studios look special, just trying to get people to realize it's no less of a Theme Park than any of the other three, and is just as good. Not some dumping place like they treat it.
:dazzle: :lol:

Fair enough. :lol:

Whether someone thinks Studios is as strong as the other parks will depend on how strong they think the theme of the place is in comparison to the others, so naturally folks will differ on that.

Personally, I think the park takes a blow because its theme is too specific and "modern" compared to the more universal and timeless ideas behind the other parks. You have to know a little something about popular culture to "get it"... whereas fantasy, technology, and nature are ideas just about anybody can relate to. But that's just how I see it. It's still a very fun park, and some of my favorite attractions are there.

Studios Fan

Personally, I think the park takes a blow because its theme is too specific and "modern" compared to the more universal and timeless ideas behind the other parks. You have to know a little something about popular culture to "get it"... whereas fantasy, technology, and nature are ideas just about anybody can relate to. But that's just how I see it. It's still a very fun park, and some of my favorite attractions are there.

Good points. I'm a big Studios fan, but I'm also a pop culture buff. I know that makes it more accessible for me than it may others.

EPCOT Explorer

Right. And that might be my problem with it.:lookaroun

Maybe heading more into the Hollywood vein of things would make it more accessible.:shrug:

Again...HAT.:fork::mad::lookaroun:lol:

EpcotServo

Fair enough. :lol:

Whether someone thinks Studios is as strong as the other parks will depend on how strong they think the theme of the place is in comparison to the others, so naturally folks will differ on that.

^Well said. For me, Pop Culture is just as important as the other three.

It matches my Pop and Folk sensibilities.

Right. And that might be my problem with it.:lookaroun

Maybe heading more into the Hollywood vein of things would make it more accessible.:shrug:

Again...HAT.:fork::mad::lookaroun:lol:

I have absolutely NO idea what you mean "Into the Hollywood vien of things" means. Absolutely none. Studios is as Hollywood as it gets. Not only is it the Hollywood that never was but always will be, it's as tapped into the real workings of a busy Hollywood studio, animation studio, recording industry, War-era Hollywood, and modern TV scene, than you can possibly get. They even put it in the annoying new name fer pete's sake.

Seriously, having soaked up driving through the real Hollywood, I don't get how it can get possibly more "Hollywood" than it is now without the above mentioned Adult Stores and Crazy people.

New quote: "Studios is for people who go enough not to pay attention to the hat".

And seriously though, I've passed 100 hours of in-park time at Studios...It's "accessible".

FigmentJedi

Servo, you need to collect your essays and stuff on your blog just for the sake of easy reference for later. My god, you're hitting nails right on the head here.

EPCOT Explorer

^Well said. For me, Pop Culture is just as important as the other three.

It matches my Pop and Folk sensibilities.

I have absolutely NO idea what you mean "Into the Hollywood vien of things" means. Absolutely none. Studios is as Hollywood as it gets. Not only is it the Hollywood that never was but always will be, it's as tapped into the real workings of a busy Hollywood studio, animation studio, recording industry, War-era Hollywood, and modern TV scene, than you can possibly get. They even put it in the annoying new name fer pete's sake.

Seriously, having soaked up driving through the real Hollywood, I don't get how it can get possibly more "Hollywood" than it is now without the above mentioned Adult Stores and Crazy people.

New quote: "Studios is for people who go enough not to pay attention to the hat".

And seriously though, I've passed 100 hours of in-park time at Studios...It's "accessible".
See below.
I feel like he means more old time, golden age of Hollywood.

Yes.:lol:

And yes, the Hat is evil.:lookaroun

American Idol wasn't bad at all actually LOL. I don't regularly watch the show but catch it every so often and having park guests perform turned it into a fun time.

Keep the updates coming!

I agree. I don't watch the show (only watched the first season) but I really liked the show in DHS. I think the idea of finding talent among vacationers is a good one :wave:

EPCOTPluto

^ I wonder if Disney knew that would happen. They seemed unprepared for it.

Heck, on the maps, "Audition Today!" are bold and smack-dab on it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom