My first Disneyland trip - thoughts and fair comparissons to Orlando

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I`ve had a lot of requests to finish my recent trip report with my thoughts about Disneyland and to make fair comparissons to Orlando. Most of you know me as a WDW veteran, but I was a well educated first timer to the Anaheim resort. I`ll concentrate on Magic Kingdoms, then other parks, then the resort as a whole, as seen through the eyes of a knowledgable but also a newbie first timer. Edit: considering how much I`ve typed and havn`t got to DCA yet, I`ll call this thread "You Asked for it, You got it!"

I was ready for a small, cramped park but found the opposite. It was smaller sure, but never felt too small or cramped. I wouldn`t go so far as to say intimate either. It still felt big. Perhaps this was due to the numerous winding paths and hidden areas as opposed to Orlandos more straight line walkways. Main St actually felt wider than Orlando, perhaps this was the reduced height of the buildings fooling me. The castle... the big joke... sure it`s small. A little too small when seen from Town Sq. But in the hub it looks right. Quaint. Magical. And it has a nice diversionary walk through. Not to say the park didn`t have its problems with size; the area around the Tea Cups can be and was most of the time a traffic nightmare. Same for Adventureland. It`s too narrow. Very much like the area around Aladdins spinner in WDW. Busy, messy and not somewhere to linger. Whilst talking about the park in general, I will say the upkeep was fantastic. I know it wasn`t like this a decade ago, but the place is a joy to look at from any angle. Clean, bright, polished. I can`t wait to see WDWs MK when the facade project is complete having seen DL. Also, we were warned about West Coast Cast Members. Not so much warned, but told to expect them to be not as magical, and on a whole that`s what we found. Don`t get me wrong, they were pleasant, profesional and polite, but the overall feel was of people doing their job day in day out. I felt I had to engage with them first. During 11 days we saw only 3 CMs in complete character - 2 at PotC load, and a Bellhop at ToT. I`m not putting DL CMs down, far from it, but there was a definate differant vibe.

Okay, onto the details. The attractions were amazing. Familiar, but different. Very much like we felt on our first DLP trip. Details, effects, smartness - all of such a high standard. I`ll try to go in some sort of order.

Main Street was a joy. Real stores. One block of Emporium. A Magic Shop that is really a Magic Shop! Nooks and Crannies. Candy store. A Cinema that is just a Cinema, not a facade selling items found elsewhere. Space not used for selling. Wow. The hub was similarly intimate, with wonderful landscapes and little paths here and there. Pixie Hollow being hidden until you stumble on it - how can a hub that is supposed to be small hide this? Shame about the AP processing center though. A waste of a nice building. Even the empty patio was screaming to be put to better use.

Into Adventureland, and right into The Tiki Room. So strange having it virtually in Main St. The size and space issue I guess but it was too close to the hub. There was no gradual theme change; Victorian and then BANG! Tropical. A cramped preshow holding area - something WDW changed for the better. The attraction was great. I was in awe, like so many times, just thinking this was the real deal. I also noted the little sub paths around the rear of the hub from Adland to Frontierland - hidden, secret paths (not really) that added to the charm. Something WDW added not that long ago as a hub bridge.

Before moving on, I`ll note something I saw everywhere in the park - there was always something to see, something to take in. The smaller size may be partly the reason, or the attraction count, but there was hardly any dead space. An attraction. A real building to enter. A store. Somewhere to eat. Everywhere you looked was eye candy. I came to call the south and west side attraction alley - from the hub there was the Tiki Room, next to Jungle Cruise, next to Indy, next to the Treehouse, next to PotC, next to the railroad, next to the HM, next to Splash, followed by Pooh. All close neighbours with no great lengths of bare wall or planting between. Amazing. This really added to the feeling there was so much to do and see, and didn`t once feel they were too close to eachother. So much so, that the path by Big Thunder Ranch and the wide walkway between Matterhorn and Alice came as a welcome relief that there was some space in the park to stretch out and slow down.

Meanwhile, back to Adland. The Jungle Cruise facade was both different and fitting. The upstairs queue area was nice to see for a change even if it wasn`t used, but there were times when the line snaked onto the outside path, something WDW wouldn`t let happen with its extended entry path. The ride was superb, the Animatronics on the whole looked less plastic and more real than what I`m used to, and the Pirranahs were a great addition. As was the Gorrila (?) crossfire and dynamite explosion. The latter was a surprise, and great plussing. I did miss the temple though; on my first ride I was surprised when the ride finished without going inside. Somethings I`d researched and forgotten about, this was an example.

Next up was Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. What a mouthful. I`ll just call it Indy. I was expecting this to be a highlight and I wasn`t dissappointed. I was surprised however at how the trees cleared to reveal a path, the FP/SB entrance and a little sign hanging on a post. So understated. Maybe it dosn`t need a large banner. Maybe anything more would intrude on the theme of the land. But it was almost like stumbling onto the attraction by mistake. Into the line, and the detail was stunning. The exterior temple, the camp, even the smallest details like the mine cars with a track that leads across the exit path and to a dock at the Jungle Cruise. So much story. So much detail. So much to see. Inside was as long a walk as I expected, but it didn`t feel like it; the different themes and chambers acted as one weenie after another, always calling you forward. Cramped caves, open walkways, large halls, the preshow projection room - all offered a different feel and kept the line feeling new and refreshing instead of mundane and more of the same. I was surprised at how the line was allowed to move through the safety video as capacity allowed. More than once we moved through the whole room without seeing the whole spiel.

Load was smaller than I expected, until I looked up. My god, the place looked so tall! So well themed. The EMVs were rougher than I expected, but the ride was stunning. There were a few dead dark areas I thought could do with some dressing or similar, but these were far fewer in number than the set pieces. The different doorway was novel, if a bit cheesy once you`d ridden a number of times, but still added variety. Effects worked so well, and constantly seemed to be plussed and tweaked; one day the first Indy AA had no smoke coming through the doors he was trying to keep shut. The following day there was smoke a plenty (our friends now call this "Holding back the World of Color"!) and the whole attraction just screamed money and massive. The fact there arn`t walls blocking your view; you can see rooms ahead where you will end up going, other EMVs, pillars instead of walls. There were a few little items I felt could be better; the smoke screen projection looked just that for example, and the rolling ball wasn`t lit aside from strobe lights and the whole effect was a bit of an anticlimax because of this. I don`t know if that`s normal, a new thing or a fault but I`ve seen it better on the web. Final thoughts? As much as I like Dinosaur it`ll never be the same again. I`m an Indy convert.

Moving on, Tarzans Treehouse was a nice diversion. Again, it was in your face - no walk up to it, the attraction was right there. Nice details and a pleasent half hour. I didn`t miss the Swiss Family theme I was used to. The attraction also helps the transition to New Orleans Square. There was more of a feel of a slow move through to different themes rather than the sudden jolt of the Hub to Adland. NOS itself was a revelation. The waterside area just felt so huge (partly for F! I know) but the scale certainly didn`t feel like being in a small park. A wonderful backdrop of the Island with multiple watercraft passing by was just sensory overload. The Twain. The Columbia (beautiful) and the Canoes. Keel Boats would make it look like an Interstate! Back into NOS, and the streets and buildings were more eye candy gone mad. So much to see. Real little stores. So many places to eat. So much to explore, to find, to stumble across. A small facade - Blue Bayou. A single door - Club 33. A small alley and a doorway - a ride exit. A small opening - the famous staircase for taking pictures on, with a beautiful "hidden" courtyard. Just an example of how much there is to see if you look for it. The only place I`ve really felt this in WDWs MK is in and around Caribbean Plaza. Except this was more. Add the best theming and detail of World Showcase (Moroccos market springs to mind, or the smaller areas of France) and you`re halfway there.

So it`s NOS. Okay... Pirates. I can`t imagine the attraction not having the bridge infront of it. It would have been so bland, so open, so bare. As it was the walkway to the door went a little way to highten the excitement of what lay ahead, but walking inside to be confronted by the flume and a row of boats was just how I thought it to be. They certainly improved this in Orlando and more so in Paris. It works to a degree, the boats act as Weenies, but knowing how the queue is elsewhere gave the feel of a prototype as opposed to the real thing. The ride however was totally different.

Walking into load, seeing Lafitte's Landing, the Bayou, the restaurant... what a vista. It works so well. Boats sailing off into the distance. Details in the darkness that pop out as you stare. Trees. Shoreline. Boats. Waves. Stunning. Onto the ride we go, and the sense of scale is apparent as you float past the Blue Bayou on the right, with the Horizon, trees and sky to the left. If this is just the scene setter the rest should be good. It just felt so big, so open. One bad comment; as you leave the Bayou, passing the Old Man (Joe?) there is a clatter of plates from the kitchen bridge above, and doors banging. When this happened it was just so bad show. But moving on, and seeing the Jolly Roger on a brick wall was surprising. Shouldn`t it be on a delicatly themed backdrop? Part of me felt it looked wrong, part of me kept saying this was the real deal, the original. Still, the pitch black drop soon moved things on. And a drop where you can get wet too! More like Paris than WDW. Speaking of versions, knwoing the WDW version and scene layout intimately and also knowing Paris very well, Anaheim Pirates was certainly a strange feeling of deja-vu. Things are different again, and all the more exciting because of it. Each version has certain scenes in very different places (or actually has the scenes) and as such they all feel very much like variations of the others as opposed to clones.

As the ride progressed, the quality of the visuals, effects, lighting and audio was amazing. TDO certainly need a kick. The smallest details were a welcome return to show quality. Canon splashes all the time. Smoke on the water. Canon wind. Gunfire smoke from pistols. Animatronics that had full motion. This isn`t meant to be a knock of Orlando, but show quality in this attraction and most of the rest of the park was top notch. Moving on, the length of ride was more and more amazing. Despite knowing the layout, experiencing it first hand for the first time was wonderful. Rounding a bend, expecting to see the exit ramp I kept finding a showscene. And another. And another. Point in case, the Grotto - it just kept going on and on and on. Leaving the burning city I didn`t expect the burning timbers before the Arsenal. The ride just kept going and going. I was both humbled and amazed, and felt it was everything I`d heard about and expected ti to be and more. A true top of the drawer E Ticket.

Phew! I hope you`re not bored yet. This is turning into a book! Let me (and you) take a break and then I`ll carry on.

cdunbar

Martin I was there in July for DL55 and I have to agree with you that NOS does have those small, intricate details similar to World Showcase. But question for you, were you able to experience Club 33?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Still with me?

Moving past the lovely landscaping of NOS northwards, I`ll stop and mention Tom Sayer Island Pirates Lair. Not having been on WDWs island for a few years now, I wasn`t really bothered with this but thought whilst I`m here we should. So we did. First, the sign - an in joke? Just literally sticking a piece of false wood over TSI? Very funny or a dig at TSI die hards. The island was a surprise - or maybe it shouldn`t have been by now. So much to see, so much to explore. Walking all over the F! stage was a kick for a geek like me, but moving around the island what I thought would be ten minutes easily went passed an hour. Kids would (and were) having a field day. Shame the fort was closed, but seeing the name gave me a kick. Fort Wilderness. So wrong, yet so fitting.

Back on the shore, Haunted Mansion was closed for HMH overlay. Sad to see, but expected. And of course having locals make up most visitors things need to be kept changing. Staring though the locked gates made me realise perhaps this wouldn`t work in Orlando with so many first timers and once a decade visitors. The building itself looked very wrong to me, being used to Orlando, and I feel I prefer the look and walk up to the east coast version. Anaheims was just there, Orlando has that build up by placing the entrance well away from the throughfare. Okay.. in Orlando you don`t enter via the front door but it still works IMHO. Anaheim dosn`t work as a Weenie from what I saw as well as WDW. But ask me again once I`ve actually ridden it.

Moving on again, finding Spalsh Mountian was almost an accident. Orlandos is such a visible weenie, calling you from most of Frontierland and even Liberty Square. Although the front scale of Chickapin Hill is impressive in Anaheim, finding it so close to the HM position wise was strange. I`m used to it standing in the open. Even though it`s still a well trafficked area, the walkway bridge over the final drop didn`t seem to clog up as much as Orlando does. Perhaps guests are more intent to ride than to watch. You don`t have the BTM crowd passing by maybe. I don`t know. Joing the line for Splash, or just walking around it towards Pooh, you get to appreciate the scale of the attraction. In Orlando the scale is all out front, as you move to the entrance most of the bulk is well hidden. Here it is clear to see if you look, although still very well themed, you realise just how big the thing is when it acts as a backdrop to Critter Country by the photo pickup area. The entrance(s) and inside line was strangely very similar to Orlando, as was the load area. As was the start of the ride, the exterior section. The logs are of course different, and offered a different feel to the attraction. My initial thought was it made the whole ride feel smaller. As did the pace, but I`ll get to that in a mo. Dropping into the interior, again things were familiar but different. Orlandos new lighting is a vast improvement. Anaheim felt dark and dingy initially. Seeing Brer Rabbit on the train above and not hopping along was strange, as was seeing other parts of the ride off to the right - a hole in the wall feeling that did offer a better sense of a large ride just like Indy did. On the whole, the attraction did feel smaller and more cramped than WDW. Maybe because it was darker. Maybe it really does have narrower show rooms. Maybe it was the speed. Yes, in Anaheim I felt the ride was too fast. The logs move faster I felt, not allowing you to see or take in everything even on successive rides. The story felt too rushed. Dropping into the laughing place things seemed to be better paced, with the overload of visuals adding to the story though even so it could be a bit slower. Another note, similar to Pirates, was show quality; Animatronics working, effects working. I dind`t mention before about the PotC barker bird; one day it was missing from the perch. No bird, no audio. The following day it was back in full working order. Bravo 3rd shift!
Back to Spalsh, and up the (jerky) hill and down again. Wet. Soaked. Around the return to the finale, and this felt just like WDW. Getting to Mr Blue Bird and Brer Rabbit, again it felt too isolated, too dark, with not enough audio compared to Orlando. Or maybe that`s just me. On the whole, a great attraction but one I feel was plussed for the better in Orlando.

Moving outside, drying off, and looking at Critter Country as a whole it may be small but feels bigger. Splash obviously takes up most room, but having the railroad pass over gave a feeling of depth. The large Hungry Bear restaurant was impresive in itself. Well themed, multi level, the ramps themselves acting as a Weenie. Having such a large capacity fast food eatery tucked away in a cul de sac was a surprise. When staffed well it was a great place to refuel. When it wasn`t it was painfully obvious.

Pooh. Well, the ride anyway. Like other attractions, my first surprise was the uncovered outside load area. I`m used to tropical Orlando or seasonal Paris. The platforms, CMs, consoles and the like all being exposed is still something I find strange. Having our friend and host Chris explain where the ride fitted into the CBJ was a great history lesson. The ride itself was a little like Orlando but plussed. Little things here and there. The larger darkroom with the flying Pooh projection for example. I`d say both versions have their merits, especially afer riding Orlandos after Anaheims and feeling the visuals had all recently been overhauled in Orlando - it looked pretty new again. For me both are as good as eachother (until I review my footage I`m sure) but for Michelle, as much a Pooh fan as I am a park fan, she prefered Anaheim.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Backtracking back through NOS, I liked the transition into Frontierland. Despite the fact one is clearly visible from the other it does work. Maybe because each has so much to see in theirselves, and the ROA acts as a common tie. Or again maybe it`s because the NOS F! plaza is so huge you don`t feel rushed from one land to the other. Frontierland in itself felt tiny compared to the other versions I know. One short main street and one main attraction. But it didn`t seem to matter. The Golden Horseshoe was a familiar haunt, even if it felt more like Paris in placement. The stores were so well themed and stocked the size of the land felt much bigger when wlaking through them. Rancho del Zocalo added so much atmosphere, even if we never managed to make it inside (I`ll go into places to eat later) and the restroom walkway that led to the Plaza Stage / Carnation hub area was another little detailed nook that was a pleasant surprise. There are so many options to move about inside the park from place to place. Maybe they are needed due to the parks size, but they added to the intimacy and actaully helped make the park feel bigger, not smaller.

Big Thundermountain - it felt strange to be able to walk around the back of it, being park-locked. Much like Space Mountain in Paris. As a ride it was great. Again, the feeling of same but different. I found that although Orlandos layout is mostly a mirror image, they both feel totally different layouts. More than once I got lost and didn`t know what was coming next. Maybe it was the theming. Maybe it was the absence of Tumbleweed. But this one felt longer, despite being over 100ft shorter than WDW. I did like the elevated load area with the queue line passing underneath. It adds so much to the theming and anticipation, seeing the cars moving all around you and above you, seeing Rainbow Ridge (ahhhh....) and the splashdown area closeup. It didn`t feel as cramped or as - for want of a better word - planned as Orlandos switchback rooms do.

The transition to Fantasyland was a bit of a jolt. I`m not sure if this can be improved, but felt walking through the castle or going via the Matterhorn was a more pleasent experience. But anyways, Fantasyland it is.

Paris may have size, Orlando is a work in progress, but by god Anaheim Fantasyland has attractions! Dark ride after dark ride. Things to see. Things to do. This was by far the most cramped area of the park, partly due to strollers, guests, but mainly due to sheer things crammed in. I can`t imagine what it was like pre 1983. We first headed to Alice in Wonderland, being new to me and all. The recent rail and support additions didn`t look too bad to a newbie, until I looked closer and saw the tarps and Chris explained what it used to be like. At least it`s a work in progress (I hope) and it was actually open. As a ride it was a pleasent C ticket. Nothing amazing, but something to ride a few times to appreciate. Not worthy of being cloned though.

The exteriors of Snow White, Toad, Pinocchio and Pan were far more like DLP and far less like WDW. Much nicer. Even though Orlando is moving away from the bare, tent style of 1971 it has a long way to go to capture the homely, cosy village feel of Anaheim. The rides themselves were great D ticket dark rides. It was nice to crash with Toad again, even on a single track. Peter Pan was impressive in showing what a little plussing here and there can do. Well lit visuals, fibre optics and no tin foil (!) can do so much. Snow White is pretty much what I know from Orlando. Pinocchio was cloned in Paris (although it`s nice to hear it all in English) but as a roster of attractions there is almost too much to take in at first. Add Tea Cups, Dumbo, the Carousel and Storybookland and this area does begin to feel a little cramped. The Canal Cruise was a welcome diversion - something I felt was there for the offering if you wanted to ride it, something tempting but it knew it wasn`t a major attraction. If that makes sense.

Moving north, there was a bit more space in the Small World corridor, but the Light Magic towers really look out of place. Or maybe it`s because I know what they are. The plaza and area to the north of the Matterhorn, around the Lake seemed a little forgotten about. Or perhaps that is because there wasn`t much to see, aside from nice landscaping and actual areas of nothing compared to everywhere else. Which brings us to it's a small world. The facade is a joy to see, the clock wonderful, and the fact it is outside is so refreshing. Very similar to Paris for me, without the covered walkways. This I think was the time I was hit the most by the uncovered, outside load and dispatch areas. It`s just so.... open. It really adds to the scale. The ride itself was as pleasant or as annoying as other verisons, depending on your opinion. I took note of the flume channel as opposed to the flooded rooms of Orlando, and there is a different feel - you do feel more on a ride here as opposed to free floating in the WDW version. Not a bad thing eitherway, just an observation. The added characters didn`t bother me. They wern`t overpowering, and are just a very small detail in a far larger picture. Indeed, there is so much to look at you can easily miss them as I did once or twice. Even when seem they don`t stand out like a sore thumb. But that`s my humble opinion as a newbie, and not someone who rode before they were added here. I will mention one great little detail, in a park so full of them I`ve probably forgotten more than I`ll mention; at night the train passing the front of the facade triggers a subtle change in lighting that chases the carriages as they pass. Such a great thing to see, and something I dare say a lot of people miss first time, as I did until Chris mentioned it. It dosn`t have to do this, the attraction wouldn`t be any lesser of one if it didn`t, but it is really a great piece of Disney show quality that just keeps making the overall experience a better one.

And on that note, the Fantasyland tent. What a waste. More like TDO than TDA. A huge facility, a potential people eater, turned into a money making makeover for a small percentage of guests. Really. In a park (and resort) not overflowing with full-on stage experiences this is a real black mark. I`ll just keep looking north and walk into Toontown.

And so we did. And wow. What a vista. It`s huge! The detail. The colours. The design. The eye candy. The not-a-temporary-tent-in-sight feel. I expected the signature ride to shout out at me, but I had to look for it. Rogger Rabbits Cartoon Spins exterior is so understated it is classy. Once you see it you can`t miss it, and you spend some time taking in the details and gags, but in an area so full of visuals it competes with stores, facades and nothings for your attention. The line is so over the top for a D/E ride tucked away in a far corner. As enjoyable and as detailed as Indy. This is a line I actually wished was busier so I could dwell on the details. It is so well themed. The attraction itself was awesome. So much to see, to take in, and so well built and planned for a minor headliner. It was great to have the feel and freedom of say Buzz Lightyear, but without IMHO a distraction of having to aim and shoot. A dark ride where you can look any which way to see things without having to concentrate on specific areas. So full of re-ridability. This would go down a storm in DHS as a marquee attraction and a people eater. It`s funny what goes around should come around (pun intended)

The rest of the land was fun to explore, If anything I wish we had spent longer in doing so. So many things to see, touch, push, and that`s just outside! Walking through Mickey's house was as fun and as time consuming as in Orlando, even then I felt I`d rushed things.

And so, moving out we pass the Fantasyland Tent waste (Grrrr) and hang a left at Alice for a classic. The Matterhorn. Finally. One of those goosebump Walt-original moments. Sure, the seating is cramped. The ride is as bumpy as hell, more painful for me than Orlandos Space Mountain, but the experience is so much fun. I`m told a snow effect on the lift hills was missing - shame - and the darkness penetrated by a few gaps and work lights felt wrong, but the downward ride(s) were so much fun. You know, it was more fun than Everest. Without bring Yetis into it. The winding tracks, so mnay curves, drops, turns. Twin tracks that split and then interweave again. Seeing other cars. Caves. Big open gaps to the outside world, followed by ice tunnels. Splashdowns that are used for the ride system but that also add show quality. Simple little show pieces that are so effective. Okay, the Snowmen are almost comical. Maybe minimal movement would add so much (or is there and I just missed it?) but for the split second you see them it didn`t really matter, as opposed to an AA that is meant to be a climatic set piece that just dosn`t work. There really shouldn`t be too many comparissons to DAKs E Ticket but I can`t help it. Everest is far longer, the Matterhorn feels longer. The inside of the mountain isn`t wasted in Anaheim. There is themeing everywhere, not large empty dark spaces with daylight showing. Each ride has its own merits but the Matterhorn was everything I expected and more, both at day and at night. It's just so damn bumpy!

Time for another break for my hands, eyes and brain, then I`ll move onto Tomorrowland, parades and shows, food, that other park next door (with a few surprise thoughts) and a feel of the resort as a whole compared to the 30 square miles of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
And so onto Tomorrowland. A curious mix of styles and times.

On first look, it feels rather empty. Walking from the hub the Orbitron is a huge, if misplaced, weenie. I can`t help feel it still belongs atop the tower for traffic flow, asthetic and theming. It has plenty of visual bells and whistles, especially at night, but get it off the hub. And whilst I`m ranting, I`ll do what probably most locals and tourists say. Get the overhead track open again. Seeing an obvious station just screams abandoned attraction. Seeing portals into nowhere says bad show. Seeing the extent of the lenght of track winding above Autopia, through the Space Mountain complex around around the carousel theatre just shouts waste. Done well this could be such an amazing experience. Let`s hope Tron Legacy does well ;) but as it stands this is on a par, if not worse than, Epcots Wonders pavilion or Imageworks.

But back to the land. The main concourse is strangely empty. Maybe its the Rod track lying unused. Maybe its the showbuilding walls with flat murals on them. Orlando certainly improved things by running the WEDWay track infront of the walls. Getting to the end of the concourse and things all go wrong for a WDW veteran. You can`t easily get around the Star Jet platform. You naturally want to drift left for Space Mountain, but are met by a raised planter/seating area and a path to the Tomorrowland Terrace. Strange! Veering right is better. EO beakons. Space Mountain looms. Innoventions is there but in the wrong park. The Carousel building is massive compared to Orlando. The upper level and ramp just scream future city. Heading north, and things get a little cramped passing the Terrace stage, Autopia entrance and masses of people lining up for Subs. Hey! Subs! Kinetics! Movement! But back to the area, and although it is busy I prefer it to the concrete wasteland of Orlando between the Astro elevators and the Space Mountain entrance. Even with the mistake of the 626 stage Orlando still feels too barren and 1970's around here. Hang on... the Autopia is quieter too! Wow! Let`s try it. The queue, bridges and paths for the attraction add far more interest than Orlandos 1971 Grand Prix version. This real does feel futuristic rather than 1980-something. The tracks are far more interesting, the fact there are different tracks is a huge plus, the offroad section is great, and there are even show items to look at. So much more like DLP and for the better. There`s even a little preshow offered too! Moving on to Finding Nemo Submarines, it is clear why WDW OPs wanted rid. They are so slow to load. A big line equals forget it. The ride itself is a cute, immerisve experience worthy of a not-too-long wait. The effects work so well, the feeling of under(real)water is a welcome return, and the ride length makes all but the longest lines feel kind of worth it. Little touches like in cabin visual effects were a surprise too. Seas with Nemo dosn't really compare, so I won`t. The underwater feeling, the real solid ride vehicles, the whole atmosphere is one of a real, large scale water ride. I`m really happy Anaheim saw it fitting and found a way to bring this attraction back and to keep it going. Even with the new friends. Epcot does win clearly in one area though; the `gulls still work. And it has a well themed queue instead of bland switchbacks.

Since we`re under the Monorail, lets take a ride. Firstly, there are too few trains. Do you know how hard it is to take a photo and having to wait what feels like an eternity? Spot the Orlando boy! Another surprise was how low the track is through the park area. You can almost touch the cars as they (very quietly) pass. We rode in the cab, and managed a round trip without getting off. Nice cabin lighting, futuristic pilot station, lovely illuminated MK VII logo in the nose, but boy are they bumpy. I`m guessing it is the tight turns and the track characteristics, but the ride is anything but smooth. Bumpy, rolling, very strange. Not bad, but compared to the MK VIs a real surprise. The views were great, offering a fast overview of the resort (and outside too) and passing from DL to DCA did bring home how close the parks are to eachother.

Anyway, back in the park. Innoventions was surprisingly interesting. I liked the format of the preshow outside but revolving, the first interior show being different depending on where you enter, then the freedom to explore. As a first timer it was interesting, but I imagine locals don`t bother with it after a while. Walking the stairs up I was amazed at the size of the building. I couldn`t help but think what Carousel shows must have been like. Seeing Project Tomorrow was the first real thought of seeing a clone from somewhere else. It seemed out of place. It also proves you don`t need a ride to have the Your Future feature work. Out on the exit balcony some great views can be had, giving the feeling of standing on the roof of Orlandos building. A quick note about show quality; during opening hours, I watched as a technician stood by Tom Morrow. Listening in, he was on his radio attempting to get one single neon light above the Animatronic lighting up at the correct time. Amazing. There were at least 2 people working on such a minor minor detail. This was partly offset by a further visit when one of the main exterior preshow screens was not working, but still had audio and the loading area was still in use. Hey ho.

Captain EO (a tribute) was strange to compare to Epcot. As you know, the motion bases are programmed different. Orlando bounces to some degree to highlight on screen effects, and it works quite well as a gimmick. In Anaheim, the thing also bounces to each music beat. Or attempts to. The end result is not pleasent. To me it was interesting to see how the enclosed theatre had been shoehorned into the original open air stage area. The lack of proper preshow area also showed the theatres origins. Watching it in an open space, with Space Mountain riders walking by, felt wrong.

Ahhh yes. Space Mountain. I`d waited 5 years for this.

A nice sign. A tall entry pylon. And then a walk past the EO preshow and a seating area... strange! Through the main entrance, and we`re still outside and very un-Space like. The upramp shows the scale of the 1977 complex, it was built and squeezed in so well. The curved ceiling with metal pannels was a nice throwback to EPCT Center 1982. The overhead, abandoned Peoplemover track was a reminder of just what a great, long attraction it could be again. And then an outside walk across the roof. This was very strange. Orlando works so much better being totally themed and inside from the moment you decide to ride. Okay, they need switchbacks somewhere and any covered building on the roof would block the Mountains sightlines from Tomorrowland (plus likely bring the whole roof down) but it was very much like choosing to ride the coaster I know and expect and ending up on a patio roof garden. Walking past - and seeing into - the closed upper Starcade was the second feeling of badshow I`d had after the Peoplemover skeleton. Such a large area screaming to be used. Speedramps collecting dust. An X-Wing just hanging there. C'mon TDA, move the X-Wing to Star Tours, either in preshow one or inside the Star Trader if it will fit. Chris rightly pointed out the two story space could well accommodate a nice D ticket ride - a 2 level Buzz could have gone in here perhaps. Food for thought, expansion in the future or something well down the list of things to do? Like the Peoplemover something with so much potential.

But anyway, onto FP/SB merge and into the Mountain finally. A nice overhead logo welcomes you and gives the feeling at last of an attraction and not a roof party. The zig zag queue corridors are a little strange; someone shrunk Orlandos line and twisted it. I believe earlier versions offered a look into the mountain. Like Paris they have been covered up, a pity. Walking out onto the load balcony and the room felt small. Even though Orlando is smaller, with lower ceilings now, it still feels open due to the 2 sides and no unload. The Explorer is crammed in here, as if they had to put one somewhere but had no lift hill space to use. It fits okay, but feels cramped. The balcony line offers a good view of load and unload, and does highten expectations. It also offers a great view of the ingenious disabled load system, where a section of track slides sideways complete with ride vehicle and occupants to allow them to load/unload at their speed and not hold up the ride. Why oh why wasn`t this added to Orlando last year? Okay, we know why and it was a big mistake to ommit it.

Finally, the airgates open after letting guests unload (a strange feeling - Orlando feels better having a separate unload) and twin seating is a welcome addition. Makes the ride feel bigger. Orlando still feels right, even a bit more edgier being single seat. Then the music kicks in. Oh wow. This is how to do it right. It works so well, adds so much. Each dip and turn is a sensory delight. To the uneducated first timer the multiple lifts are a surprise. Michelle was surprised. Are we there yet? They add to the anticipation. As does the different theme of each; confined steep corridor with in-sync show items. Long hill with some great visuals, including the great galaxy ahead of you. Only as you crest the second lift do you realise that projection is in the dome itself. And all in sync to music. I so wished Orlando had a Black hole projection at the top of its lifts. As great as Anaheims lifts are, I still like the Explorer scene of the original. It feels so much bigger, more open. It just sadly needs some TLC already. But back to Anaheim. The ride is so smooth. That`s what everyone said after 2005, but it really is. It is still fast, belly flopping in places and a rush, but not the sideways cracking or hill crest jolt of Orlando. Rear seats actually felt a lot of +G I felt, being pushed down into your seat on turns. There maybe little airtime, but as a family coaster it works. I didn`t feel the old saying of too many right turns either. Those who want to know both versions off by heart know Anaheim lacks a lot of left handers, but as an experience I didn`t feel it mattered nor took away from the ride. There is only one major dip down, something I missed from Orlando, and if anything there could be a bit more to see. As abundant as they are, the stars don`t seem quite enough - even sometimes making structural beams stand out a little too much. Galaxies, comets, meteors - more please. The Orlando show scene of passing thorugh the lift hill was sorely missed too. Something physical would add so much. Those infamous meteors from the top of C Lift perhaps? The ride was nontheless a real highlight, the brake tunnel effects very well done and such a big improvement on the 1975 red tube I was used to, even if the camera flash was a bright too much and distracted from the deceleration effect (at least it dosn`t night blind you for the rest of the ride like Orlando). Despite having so many similarities to the original, this Space Mountain is very much its own ride. Now if Orlando had combined Anaheims audio system and track smoothness with its size, layout and showscenes and plussed the visuals a little, and still added the new offboard spot fx it would have a world class indoor rollercoaster. If only huh?

Before leaving, I`ll mention the closed Star Tours. The park had 2 E tickets closed - this and Haunted Mansion - and Space closed on our final 2 days for Ghost Galaxy - but even so there still seemed too much to do, too many E Tickets to ride. If the HM and say 2 mountains were closed in Orlando there would be uproar, not to mention lack of capacity. May FLE be the beginning.

And so we`re back to the hub. And the parade. I seemed to be the only fan of Celebrate a Street Party from our friends. But it works. It dosn`t turn the whole hub into a circus stage. It is a traditional parade with show stops. And a lot of fun. The floats are different, having on board lighting for a nice change. The dancing and performances are energetic. There seems way more cast members taking part than in MISICI. And personally I prefer the msuic in Anaheim too. A quality parade. Infact, all over the park there was great entertainment, from roaming bands and streetmosphere to one big surprise - Tomorrowland Terrace at weekends. Unless you search the times and guides you would, as we did, just happen to stumble on some quality live music playing. For free. Just like that. Big stage, lots of lights, excellent audio, lots of dancing - an added bonus, an additional attraction, and one I`m glad we caught.

The biggest entertainment draw is Fasntasmic! and rightly so. The way NOS waterside transforms is amazing. The infrastructure coming out of the ground is mind boggling. The choice of viewing locations a surprise. And the traffic control is so well done I still don`t know how a park can control people like that. One way systems. Holding areas. So many Cast members with their little torches. It is chaotic at times, but setting up a viewing area for upwards of a five figure number of guests should technically be impossible on paper. Even more so when 2 shows a night are played.

The show itself... well simply put it was like seeing it for the first time again. Unless DHS has a major overhaul and rethink I can`t see myself queing for 20 minutes in Hollywood Hills and Sunset ever again, let alone an hour. Such a shame. DHS has a purpose built facility. But Anaheims production is far far better. I`ll try to explain my reasons;

The whole lighting package. The searchlights that use the sky as part of the show just make the whole thing feel huge. The new finale lighting is stunning. The synced-to-music strobes on the island and the audience strobes add so much. The projections are so clear and vibrant. And the show dosn`t depend on them. I was so immersed in the story that it was only after my first show had ended did I realise so many projection sequences from DHS were missing here. I didn`t miss them not being there. There is far more real action to see, even if the show is slightly shorter. The stage is slightly smaller and the fountains slightly less impressive than DHS but the show overall makes up for it. The Pinocchio section is charming. Flotsam and Jetsom are great. The whole Peter Pan and Columbia section is simply stunning to see. I`m still a fan of DHS Pochohontas, but Anaheim wins here. The Princess floats have so many details. As do the Monkey floats. The finale sequence is a real show stopper. The pyro is superb, and a far better effect than some of DHS' blanket shell effects. The lasers are so effective and clear too. And, I say all this without seeing Murphy. The inconsidarate Dragon took his nosedive 3 days before we arrived. Each show we saw had the alternate B plan Malificent fighting Mickey. Even so, and even knowing what we were missing, the show was amazing. Plus Mickeys elevators are still MIA for the finale, so he remains stuck ontop of the shack - in Orlando I`d say this was a major, but in Ahaheim there are so many highlights, so many plusses, that this was more a minor gripe. You can tell we were impressed with the west coast version, yes?

I should also make a passing mention about eating and drinking in the park. There were too many places!! Everywhere you went there was somewhere to eat. Something different to try. Nice or fast. And mostly without needing a reservation 6 years in advance. A definate improvement on Orlando. Even the ODV carts offered what you needed when you needed it; drinks, coffee and the like. Not obnoxious toys that just annoy nor the same thing as the last cart had which also blocked your way. And you can actually have a nice breakfast of differing styles and prices in the park without forking out for a character meet. And each place has a proper seating area to eat it too! CP and TDO take note. The Blue Bayou was beautiful, and such a great setting. More than once I got lost with the fact I was in a shed at noon and felt like I was actually waterside, outside, at night. Club 33 was an experience. I`m so glad we managed it (thanks again, Jessica) but it certainly isn`t a once a trip visit. Mainly for the price. Exclusive for sure, and this is reflected in the price - but to eat there, in such amazing and for me historical surroundings was worth the price. And to walk along the NOS balconies was a bonus.

And so we get to Magical. An amazing fireworks show. So like Fantasy in the Sky in style - a loose story, more pyro than narration. A what great pyro. So in sync to the audio it wasn`t real. Even if the whole right channel of the Main St PA failed briefly during one show. And the flying rig... it works so well. To see Tink duck and dive, turn, reverse, hover and alter speed was a sight to behold. Dumbo flying was simply enchanting, to coin a phrase. Even if Tink didn`t fly one night since - of all things - a lost Mickey balloon got its strings caught in the cables above Fantasyland! A stunning show. I can`t really compare it to Wishes since the latter is a different style of production, but for almost continuous pyro set to great music Magical is a must see. Which is why we did 6 times, 7 from NOS for a different view (plus we were sat in F!s VIP area - thanks guys ;) ) and the other nights we were somewhere else nearby watching a different show which I`ll talk about later.

So that`s it. My first trip to Disneyland Park. I`ll draw conclusions after the next chapter. Coming your way soon. If you're still with me :D

sponono88

Excellent report! Thanks for sharing all the details, always fun to hear first-trip thoughts. One very important thing though..

Epcot does win clearly in one area though; the `gulls still work.

..the seagulls finally returned last weekend ;)

1019629974_g7oqR-S.jpg

Looking forward to the rest of your report!

rodserling27

Such an informative and thorough report! Thanks so much for sharing Martin, it's great to hear about your experience. Can't wait for the final bit.

TP2000

Ladies and gentlemen, Disneyland has just converted a new fan! Welcome to the club Martin! :wave:

As the ride progressed, the quality of the visuals, effects, lighting and audio was amazing. TDO certainly need a kick. The smallest details were a welcome return to show quality. Canon splashes all the time. Smoke on the water. Canon wind. Gunfire smoke from pistols. Animatronics that had full motion. This isn`t meant to be a knock of Orlando, but show quality in this attraction and most of the rest of the park was top notch.

This astute observation about Pirates of the Caribbean sums it up. I often visit Disneyland a day or two after returning from WDW visits, and the contrast with show quality like this is most striking. The big E Tickets usually are the most obvious with it, with Disneyland effects all in working order and overloading the senses, and animatronics at Disneyland moving fluidly and with big motions and tiny details all moving at once, where WDW animatronics seem to just shudder and jerk and WDW show details go missing or work poorly.

There clearly is a difference in maintenance standards between the two properties. Not to say Disneyland is 100% perfect 100% of the time, but it's a noticeably big difference.

Great TR! So detailed, so caring, so clearly done by someone who knows their stuff. Keep it coming!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
And so the `gulls return. Told you I was impressed with DLs quality and 3rd shift ;)

Okay, back out of the park and to the Esplanade. And lets pause here. The large area between parks really needs some cosmetic work. It`s so... barren. I appreciate it is the main intersection of guest flow for the resort, has to handle large crowds, but as it stands it`s just an open, concrete, shadeless area with lightpoles. I dare say there are security issues (the Parisian version is like this for this reason) but a few more trees, planters, anything to break up the bland square boring area wouldn`t go amiss.

Whilst around here, a note about admission media. We plumped for Annual Passes. Not because we plan on returning within the year (though if we could we would) - they made the best economic sense given we would be visiting both parks multiple times, from full days to evenings, hopping, and wanting to park over a 13 day period. Surprising this was the best way to do it, at least for us. Even more of a surprise was the generous discount for APers on everything, from food to T shirts, drinks to ornaments. Sure there were a few rules, but getting money off virtually everything from a few burgers and fries to a few hundered dollars Emporium shopping spree was a god send. 20% off virtually everything in DCA? Say that again??! Returning to WDW afterwards I more than once got my AP out when buying something, only to sadly remember I was in the wrong resort. And DLs proper plastic APs are far better (and nicer) than the Orlando version.

And so, to the second gate. Being someone well aware of DCAs history, roots, concepts, execution and errors this was going to be an interesting place to see. And I was surprised in how I feel having spent 4 or 5 days on and off in the park.

Venturing in and the first feeling is one of a small park. The entry plaza felt hemmed in by the murals and the bridge. The murals didn`t catch my eye until I looked closer and saw all the details. Nice. Then I went to the bathroom and saw around the back of them the bare steel beams holding them up. You can see where the budget didn`t go. The murals could be moved elsewhere perhaps as works of art, but the style and theme of the plaza I don`t think will be missed. I was surprised at the feeling of California / Beach / sunshine I felt when entering though. Quite a nice feeling. Walking under the monorail (and past the WOC signs, more of which later) came the first strange feeling. No weenie. There was some weird, modern art metal round thing looking a bit like a forlorn sun with no waterfall. And a bit of shrubery on a hill behind it. I know.. it`s coming down. Thankfully. Not quite an entrance icon. The weird curvey planters infront of it may be groovy (man) but were not what I expected. Shame the trees in them will probably be going too. Looking left I did see a great view of a detailed Hollywood Pictures archway, some interesting details beyond it, and a Tower of Terror looming above. A great vista.

Onwards into the backlot area and I could have been at DHS. The influence is everywhere, I`d even go so far as to say it`s a copy cat. Nontheless, these building facades looked fabulous, not what I expected from a park with a past like this one. Then it fell apart slightly. The huge functional Millionare building. Empty. The square metal shed with a sign on the front that is MuppetVision. Another shed I still don`t know what was for but is a waste of space now. So what to do? Monsters Inc. What a nice, cute dark ride. Yes it was an overlay to solve a 2001 problem, but it works well. Always a walk on, and frankly I`d like to see it busier. Some nice effects and a sensible size made it a great C/D ride IMHO. Again, something that could be cloned elsewhere to easily add to park capacity. Not that I`m all for clones as you know. Infact, this type of ride did show a bigger issue with the park. It needs more of them. Mermaid is a start but won`t be enough. Give the place another 4 or 5 D ticket family inside ridethrus and another E Ticket after RSR and we`d be looking at a park worthy as a neighbour to the one next door. By D Ticket I don`t mean cheap, rather something that dosn`t need an EMV or 4000ft of track to be good. There are plenty of places to build, but I`ll touch on this properly later.

The Hyperion was getting its facade painted so Aladdin was already closed, as was the link to the Tower of Terror, hence we took the awkward route to a white knuckle ride through a kids play area. Fliks Fun Fair was cute, and the theming was of a higher standard than I expected. But seeing the TOT through oversized leaves didn`t do it for me. In passing, we thought we`d try this clone of ITTBAB. With no Tree of Life the entry was interesting, as was the reversed theatre layout (like EO) but the show was great. Everything worked! Lights, Animatronics, smoke, spiders, seat effects.... I can`t remember the last time I saw everything work at the same time in DAKs version. Again, great show.

But on to Tower. The positioning of the building seems wrong, I`m hoping when the Backlot is open you can see the front clearly as you approach, but nowhere could I find an agreeable shot of the full front of the show building. It works from out of the park, but up close I hope it was because we entered via the service area. I also couldn`t help but see the eyesore that are the staircases on the side of the Hyperion Theatre. Was the park so badly funded they couldn`t even afford a facade let alone an enclosure? It isn`t moviemaking secrets, it`s cheap. And ugly. Compared to the ornate detailing of the HTH next door, the exposed metal hotch potch is just not Disney. Tower itself is almost the same as the Parisian Clone (as it would be given WDSPs was diverted to DCA but I digress) aside from a few minor exterior details and English being the common language. Just like WDSP the ride system feels smoother but still thrilling, but just like WDSP when compared to the original there are several rather large flaws. When compared to the expansive queue and grounds of DHS, this version is a cramped, switchback laden garden of poles. Smaller budget, smaller footprint. Second, when did you cross a corridor to get in an elevator once the doors are open? Really, could they not at least have addded doors to hide the exit corridor as you load? And thirdly, due to the nature of the rides layout and 3 self contained rides in one building with 2 ride cars but one drop shaft, any illusion of an elevator is shattered when the first thing it does is move backwards. Okay... the story and effects suggest the elevator is in the 5th dimension right at the start of the ride, but even so you just know things arn`t quite right too soon, more due to physical mechanics and less thanks to story. But hey. It`s a fun ride. The mirror effect is great, and sorely missing from Orlando. But that`s all. The 5th Dimension in WDW adds so much to the attraction. As do the random drops. Adding drop profiles (and corridor doors) would go a long way to improving this attraction. Seeing the Anaheim resort was a real change when the top hortons opened, the lights on and off during the drops added to the excitement, but like a few other attractions it is only if you`ve ridden the bigger version do you realise how lite this one is. I must mention the boiler room though; fantastic. Some of the details and lighting, plus the nature of its higher ceiling felt more spooky than the original.

Edit: EEK! I almost forgot; Animation. I was told if nothing else to go and sit in the lobby. Okay I grumbled, if I must. I`m so glad I did. I walked in and stood in awe for a good few minutes. The media, the audio, the screens all showing their own things but all interacting with eachother... a real goosebump moment. I sat in the middle of the hall and videotaped for a good ten minutes, then just put the camera down and sat on a sofa and watched. And watched. I didn`t do any of the other things in there. I didn`t want to. I just wanted to watch. DHS could just put this multimedia show into an empty stage (Stage 4 anyone?) and have a winner. The annoying PA calls for Turtle Talk and the rest could be stopped, aside from that it was a real gem.

Next I`ll cross the park to an area high on landscaping but low on things to actually do.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Crossing to Condor Flats (and through the over-loud entrance hub background music) left behind the patchy theming of Hollywood Pictures. This area was so heavily themed, I had to remind myself I was looking at one attraction, one restaurant, one store and a restroom. The layer of candy was classic Disney. The runway markings. The hangers. The inside of Taste Pilots. Everything was so what I`d expect. An added bonus was the night lighting, where the walkway `runway` lights chase eachother along. This was more like it. We rode Soarin' Over California (Yay! I can use the full name!) just because we could. The far shorter inside line was a shock. I`d prefer the Epcot version if I could have just half of it. I`m glad we didn`t have to use the concrete switchbacks outside. The aviation displays inside were very interesting, better than Epcots almost interactive screens, but that`s different theming for you. I almost wish I could have looked at them longer. Same ride of course, shorter exit walk. But not nearly as long a wait. From here, either direct to Golden State due north or passing the Californian Resort to Grizzly River Run and I got the same feeling - the park has too much dead space. A challange trail? In a theme park? Where`s the D Ride?? Walking from Sunshine Plaza and not Condor Flats was even worse. Sure, the waterfall is pretty and the berm hides a showbuilding, but given all the greenery on the right, and minimal landscaping for the Bugs theatre on the left and this main throughway into the park is just bland. Imagine a wood halfway up Main St. You can`t? Neither can I. So why does DCA have one? Hopefully the entrance makeover and the Cathay Circle Theatre will partly help here. Having future expansion space is one thing, but having come from the park next door where every inch just beakons a closer look DCA was clearly a park needing attractions. Even more so for most of Pacific Wharf. Is it a food court? A sub diversion? An attraction? It has some great theming an immersion, but I didn`t come 8000 miles to see bakers working or tortillas being made. No disrespect to those who work here, but it`s a theme park not a factory. Moving swiftly on so I don`t dwell on this too long was the Blue Sky Cellar. Leaving more dubious theme park use behind it, finally WDI and TDA realised some people - not everyone - want to know what is happening. And the place was popular. Even watching the films available on the web there was standing room only. Okay, it is a part commercial to say we`re making our mistakes right, come back in a year or so, but it was a nice gesture.

The attraction holding the parks (un?)official mascott (like most of the park, DCA is confused about itself) stands land locked. Grizzly River Run has some elaborate theming and landscaping on its west side around load. It really looks great. The ride itself was a lot of fun too. As opposed to Kalis up, right, down, twist and unload this one felt more detailed, with more to see, 2 (!) drops and plenty of elevation changes. Given a choice we both would go for this one.

Spike-in-Berlin

Go on Martin. Absolutely fascinating to read so far and makes me wish I could finally visit the original Disney park in the near future already. And it is really a shame, that TDO lets the park, that was originally planned by Walt to become the Super-Disneyland, actually fall behind it's predecessor.

Krack

I could read stories of people discovering Disneyland for the first time over and over again. This is just how I felt in 2004 when I walked into the park for the first time in 25 years.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
And so, to what is for now the back of the park. Paradise Pier for both Michelle and I was the surprising jewel in the crown of the park. I can`t think how it would have been without the TLC, the plussing and no TSMM but today it is a pleasure to look at and to visit.

Daytime and especially at dusk or night the view from the north looking south is spectacular. Multi level walkways. Water. Multiple rollercoaster cars. Spinning rides. The whole vista acts as one giant weenie. This area is also where I felt most surprised with the parks design and details. I liked it. I marvelled at it. The ramped bridge up to Aerials, in itself a two story waterside building entered from the upper level. The curving ramp down to Screamin', with the coaster not only part in the water but passing under the walkway. The intricate layout of the coaster itself. The Fun Wheel sitting in and anchored below the lake. The SS Swings jutting out into the water in all their multi levelled, newly and richly themed glory. This was no cheap area. Even the link to Pacific Wharf with its bridges and piers was elaborate. If only the original themeing budget hd been matched by an attraction budget and roster the park may have faired far better in its early years, even under its flawed overall theme. Speaking of the theme, it didn`t bother us too much as tourists. Eisner was famously told a park about California would never sell to Californians and they were right. But as people from out of state (and country) it wasn`t a problem. A curious choice maybe, but it added to our trip, even making us feel maybe more Californian than just being in CA. Strange huh?

Walking around the lake the new Bay Park look nice, but as I thought they could have been better designed for their primary nightly function. More on this later. Mermaid was coming along well, even if there seemed to be little space between load/unload and the walkway. I fear the line for this D Ticket will be less theme and more switchback as compared to Orlandos version. I`m thankful the walls are down mostly around here; seeing the web pics earlier this year and this part of the park would have been really depressing with walls and corridors everywhere plus so many attractions down for retheming. Pass more empty (now walled) space and a fun diversion; Mullholland Madness. The retheme could be interesting, as it was we found it a quick C ticket that probably shouldn`t be in a Disney Park, but given the lack of attractions we almost accepted it as belonging. More walls around south of Madness, and past the Maliboomer, closed and already off the maps. Again, probably a fun ride elsewhere but not here. But wait. They`re going to replace it with a.... park?? Somewhere to relax surrounded by a rollercoaster??? How long will that last before a store is added instead? One day it was roped, the next it was walled. This park just oozes walls. In a way it is so good to see so much work and money being invested at once, but at the same time as I said it will need more than an Omnimover and RSR to get anywhere near next door. Even so, the walls kept appearing overnight. The whole open arae and little buildings south of TTBAB were walled up before we had a chance to look around. No warning (no web access too) but bang! The following day some great signs for Carsland were inplace on a never ending wall with diggers and workmen already at work behind it. The Sunshine Plaza sun thing also went behind a wall overnight. This is a park I`d be very interested in revisiting in a few years. Even without the yet-to-be started later phases being open.

Anyways, onwards we go. The fun wheel looked just that, but sadly Michelle couldn`t bring herself to do it. TSMM was closed our whole trip - had it been open then PP, indeed the whole park, would have had a little more appeal than it already had. The real surprise was California Screamin'. What a great ride!!

It looked good - a horizontal launch, steep climbs, a loop, dives - but the queue area was more bland switchbacks. The view of load was nice and being a duel load the cross bridge (and extravagance of 2 elevators) added to the excitement crossing the track. Seated, and off we go. What a rush. Still Disney, but only just. The front cars afforded a great view with a bit of a coaster feel. The rear really offer airtime and G Forces. As surprising as Rock n Rollercoaster can be to a first time rider I`d imagine. The track layout and ride length were great, and the onboard audio added to the theme and the atmosphere (we both laughed during our first ride when the second lift had the music go from metal to theme park carnival). This was our new favourite coaster. One we could ride time and time again and enjoy as much each time. And we did.

harveyt0206

Wow!! I've only made it half way through your report but I am completely entranced. So much insight and detail. Thank you for taking the time to put all this information into such a wonderful report. Looking forward to reading the rest. :wave:

sponono88

Awesome so far.. Good to hear your thoughts on DCA and the ongoing evolution the park.

I'm not sure I agree about the lack of rides at the park - there are 4 total rides coming in the pipeline, along with new trolleys... For a second gate, it has already passed other parks as far as attraction count. Not bad for a park that isn't even 10yrs old yet. Shame you missed Aladdin though!

And finally someone who "gets" Paradise Pier! :D

Question.. Since you didn't mention these in your DL post - did you get to experience Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln? The Disneyland Railroad (Primeval World diorama)?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
So, I`m no longer a DCA newbie. As someone who visited WDSP 3 months after opening I didn`t expect so much theming, such a vast layout, the details of Paradise Pier. Heck, WDSP - which opened months after DCA - only had one water fountain. Not even a pond, let alone a lake. DCA is a very nice looking park today. It is a work in progress, and needs far more doing to it. Mermaid will help. Cars Land is vast when seen from above and RSR will be a hit. But it still needs plussing. Parks today can`t afford to have 50 years to grow. They need a solid staple of attractions from day one. DCA may just be turned around in time. Even so, it certainly wasn`t a half day park for us. Nor a one day. That being the case, the park works as-is. It was built as a second gate and is successful as that. But given the dermographic of guests there needs to be far more for locals and regulars to do. The park was never as full as Disneyland. Walkways were empty. Lines were light. Well, at least until each evening.....

Before World of Color I`ll touch on the Pixar Play Parade, since it`s heading in modified form to DHS. It is no worse than BPB in terms of theme. And rememebr I like BPB. A lot. It is a traditional parade. Quite fun. And wet. And this may be a downfall; a lot of guests in DCA just watched it. But in Orlando, with so many people using cameras there may be a huge line at Guest Relations after each show unless the water effects are curtailed. One or two took me by surprise. My camera wore a few napkins for our second viewing. Warnings on park guides arn`t enough. DHS is gonna be a wetter place at 3pm and the majority of guests there need warning or protection.

Speaking of water.....

I`ll cut to the chase. World of Color is a stunner. Simple. The poor park mustn't know what hits it each night when a Fantasmic! sized crowd descends. Sure, it is still opening season but the show is becoming a victim of its own success. There is a definate front and back. And the back offers such a lesser show to the front. The park viewing area needs serious remodelling. Loose the overhead arches. Sacrifice some of the planters for more terraces. It may need daytime dressing to avoid looking too barren but right now the show needs it. Allow more people in. As it stands the system now dosn`t work. Thankfully I knew the system. I saw so many dissappointed guests, foreigners who have travelled great distances and paid full rack admission prices, being told they can`t see this wonderful new night time show because it is full and they didn`t know the system. Should such a show even have a system? Fantasmic! dosn`t, though it may have had at the start. ROE dosn`t. Wishes and Magical dosn`t. The stampede at rope drop is worthy of a new E Ride on opening day. Walk, don`t run. Yeah right. Minutes after rope drop and there is already a line. And I`m not slow. Having got the golden (or yellow, as was our case each time) tickets the walk back towards Soarin' showed a line already snaking back to that attraction. And it was less than 10 minutes after park opening! We plumped for the cheapest food package the third night and it wasn`t bad. $13 if I recall with AP discount gave enough food to fill us up, a $3 soda, a nice bag and a ticket. We still had to face the second charge when the viewing areas opened though. And they can be chaos. Poor CMs trying to shout instructions with no loudspeakers. Custodians from all over the park and beyond doing their best to control people determinded to get a spot no matter what. Poor guests who have been sat on the PP bridge near Aerials for an hour only to be moved when told it`s actually a VIP area. One night when we couldn`t get tickets we actually avoided the park rather than watch from the back. The system is a mess. And its a shame since the show is amazing.

The preshow was added and was well needed. Claiming a space 75 minutes before showtime can be so boring. I got so used to watching the sun set over the lake, watching the moon rise though the fun wheel, that anything mildly diverting was welcome. Then the lights drop, the music comes up and the show begins. Depending on your view and the wind some of the projections work okay to amazing. The fountains, the movements, the colours are so impressive. The lasers are a treat. The things they do with water jets - painting trails of laser and light in the sky, creating archways from nothing... I was in awe. Truely state of the art. Some of the rear screen effects were mindblowing (there are 2 projection areas - a front screen, think a Fantasmic! screen, and a series of rear screens which make up a `wall` that curves around the rear and sides of the lake) - the Old Mill multiplane effect and Pochohontas forest moved in such a way it looked 3D. The wilderbeast stampede from The Lion King was similar. The beasts caught the screens and the fountains, appearing from nowhere all over the lake - and all in thin air. You know all about the show by now so I won`t dwell on it. There are problems that will be addressed soon - the dome projections in the lake no longer work since they arn`t as waterproof as thought, and the central platform can not be submerged during the day at present, affording a close if slightly ugly view of all the tech. I`ll sum it up by taking a kid in his early teens next to us during a show as example. He was moaning before showtime he didn`t want to see a boring water show. He wanted to do Screamin' and Tower. The show began and he went quiet. He cheered during the Buzz/Zurg laser fight. He shouted `no` very loudly when Mufasa died and `you can't do that`. He clapped all through the finale and cheered at the end. That is the effect of the show. So what if there isn`t a detailed story? It is what it is, nothing more than promised - a state of the art nightime show of highlights from Disneys past and present. It has an intro, a history section, fun, baddies, villains and a death, a happy ending and a finale. There. It has a storyline. Fantasy in the Sky had less and was successful. This show is so too. If not even more so.

So there you have it. I went into DCA with open eyes, but aware of the parks history. I came out having spent more time than I thought I would enjoying some great theming, fun attractions and one amazing show. Hopefully the future is bright. Just don`t waste money chaning the name.

When I`m more awake I`ll look at the resort as a whole, with what comparissons can be made to WDW and more DLP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom