My first Disneyland trip - thoughts and fair comparissons to Orlando

Horizonsfan

Great, and much appreciated, report Martin.

Your thoughts on DL very much mirror what I thought about it when I visited DL in 2004. A starkly different experience that is just as enjoyable, in a few ways more so.

LordHelmut

Having been so fortunate....

I've been a fairly regular visitor to both coasts on travel over the past 5 years. I've actually been to both parks within a couple weeks time. I heartily concur with the assessment.

Food - Hands down to Orlando, much more variety & folks that actually care that you're eating at the parks/resorts. Last trip out, I was actually told at town hall after making in inquiry about allergy menus "You *can* just go out on Harbor Blvd, there are a lot of restaurants out there"

Resorts - Rates are much better in Orlando, as well as availability for Disney properties. However you can manage to snag a decent hotel pretty much year round within walking distance in Anaheim.

CMs - I've definitely seen those that were just 'in it for their day job', the difference has been when I have been traveling solo or with my youngest daughter. With the daughter along.... folks have gone the extra mile @ DL just like WDW.

(and what the heck is the deal with the slow as molasses Princess meet & greet tent thing....)

All things being equal... I'm planning to start making the trip to Cali to see how the holidays are handled & to see rides that are for the most part kept in better form than WDW for a couple of years.

(Yes, I've had the extreme weird feeling when you walk into one area of WDW or DL and look for something that is on the other coast. e.g. can't figure out why the entrance for Indy isn't where it's supposed to be.... or looking for a DHS attraction in DCA....)

Nicole220

Such detail! I've been to Disneyland more times than I could possibly count and I'd never be able to talk about it like you do. :lol:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Very good trip reports (as expected ;) )

Regarding the Haunted Mansion, I did get to ride the updated version, and to me, the ride itself is nearly the same as WDW with some minor differences, but nothing huge. (And there will probably be people to disagree with me).

Then ironically, I found lots of subtle effects in the Tokyo version of the ride we don't get here, like the pages turning on an open book in the library scene and a small ghost picture in a frame, where the ghost actually comes out toward you in the "doors" area.

For your experience in DL, I agree about the exterior of the building just seeming to not fit the mood but I also recall that Walt personally wanted that mansion to look very nice and not look haunted or abandoned :shrug:

Wilt Dasney

For your experience in DL, I agree about the exterior of the building just seeming to not fit the mood but I also recall that Walt personally wanted that mansion to look very nice and not look haunted or abandoned :shrug:

I've read the same. Apparently people at WED turned in designs of a more rickety, overgrown mansion and got voted down. Walt's quote was something like "We'll take care of the outside, and the ghosts will take care of the inside."

I'm split on this. I like the DL exterior for sentimental reasons knowing it was the first, and because I enjoy the NOS theming more than LS in general, but I have to concede that the MK exterior sets the mood more effectively, both in appearance and placement.

TP2000

I've read the same. Apparently people at WED turned in designs of a more rickety, overgrown mansion and got voted down. Walt's quote was something like "We'll take care of the outside, and the ghosts will take care of the inside."

I'm split on this. I like the DL exterior for sentimental reasons knowing it was the first, and because I enjoy the NOS theming more than LS in general, but I have to concede that the MK exterior sets the mood more effectively, both in appearance and placement.

The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland is a fascinating one, as the house was built in the winter of 1962 when the attraction was still planned to be an elaborate walking tour, with the only "ride" being the trip down in the elevator stretching room to get you down to the tour level beyond the berm.

Disneyland Haunted Mansion 1962, Seven Years Before Opening
Dec62.jpg

The whole thing was put on hold in early '63 to work on the World's Fair pavilions, and they never got around to getting back to it until the late 1960's a few years after Walt had died. By then they had invented the Omnimover and the attraction concept changed dramatically from a walk-through once the Walt Disney World project was well underway.

You have to wonder what Disneyland's version would have looked like had they not had that false start back in '62, but instead had waited until the late 60's when both the Disneyland and WDW versions were in actual production???

Disneyland Haunted Mansion 2010, Non-Holiday Version
haunted-mansion.jpg

MarkTwain

I think the Haunted Mansion is one thing that could be considered to be universally better in the Magic Kingdom. The two rides are pretty similar in terms of show scenes, but the Magic Kingdom's has more upgraded effects, and it seems to me better pacing as well. The stretching room effect is also more convincing; you can see the wallpaper unrolling from the wall a little bit in the Disneyland version, which kind of gives the effect away. And much of what you ride through in WDW's ride is part of the queue in Disneyland, which is kind of weird (although perhaps a nod to the more traditional walk-through haunted house).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
Strangely, the HM being closed was the one attraction I was least worried about being closed. It would have been nice to experience it, to see the entrance differences and the railroad tunnel corridor, but Paris is the same as Anaheim in this respect so I didn`t feel too cheated. The differences between the US versions are so minimal overall. They were infact built at the same time and WDWs was put in storage until 1970. I'd have prefered to have seen HMH but maybe next time. I`d have been more concerned if say PotC, Indy or Space had been down the whole visit.

I also had a chance to see the wider resort, albeit briefly. DTD seemed quite nice, a good selection of shops vs restaurants. Some of the stors were debatable in their offerings, but since they are 3rd party they are I think better than an empty shop. The experience seemed easier than DTDs sprawl, and very similar but a fuller experience than DLP. After the parks closed there was a very nice atmosphere with families still strolling around, House of Blues raising the roof and live music in several places. I do pity the Grand Californian guests though who look out over the noise. The biggest surprise was the Disneyland Hotel. Yes, it`s an original (kind of) but it shows. Walking through the grounds, even ignoring the walls, and I was hit by how stark and brutal it is. The cladding of the towers seems to be making 3 office blocks look like 3 different office blocks. If anything the old roof sign and outside elevator would have added a bit of whimsy to the complex. When I told Michelle it was a hotel she laughed. Okay, staying there may be very different but it was no Newport Bay or Polynesian.

The resort being in an urban area didn`t bother me. Despite being used to the isolation of Orlando or Paris, I guess I knew what to expect. If anything, I was impressed in how everything was squeezed in, and how the outside world rarely intruded. I saw more low flying light aircraft overhead than I saw or heard anything of the outside world. Sure, you can see over the berm on Screamin' but so what? Even on the Matterhorn the view of the real world wasn`t a problem. If anything, it felt it was supposed to be this way since it was Disneyland. Strange. I did miss the no-stopping drive in from the interstate to the parking lot; leaving I-5 north and hitting 4 sets of signals was a drag sometimes but hey. At least they built the flyover where they could. Using Mickey and Friends was a better experience that I expected. Sometimes the coned layout to parking was a bit long-winded but things kept moving, the walk was no worse than say the far end of the MK lot to the tram or walking at DAKs lot, the escalators were plentiful too. One nice touch; the few times any particular escalator was down for maintainence they always had the right direction in use on the remaining one at the right time of day. I must also mention the parking trams. So plentiful. So amazingly quiet. Going back to the MK the day after DL we were deafened again by them. And even at park close, with the WOC masses flooding out, there were plenty of trams waiting. Any delays were caused by simply loading up people - there always seemed to be 2 or 3 empty trams always waiting behind ready to drive forward. Very well done. You don`t get that at the T&TC.

Landscaping around DTD, the parking areas and the internal roads was beautiful. It really did feel you had left the outside world behind. I`m not so sure about the clearly visible backstage areas from the tram route - as interested as I was to see it it really needs to be better hidden. Chain link and shrubs don`t really work when seen from a tram. The tram route itself felt a little convoluted, but I guess this is an example of the confines of the site.

I`m used to and quite like Uni Orlandos parking structures and moving walkways, Mickey and Friends seemed a litle more homely than the huge layout of Unis. Both were built for the same reason. Now if Anaheim gets its peoplemover or moving sidewalks instead of trams it will truely feel like an intergrated resort.

A few comments I forgot to make; we were shocked to find after World of Color the park wanted you to go home!! Unlike the shopping mall of Orlandos Main St or Mousegear, not a singal store was open in DCA after the show. The company must be throwing away thousands by not having the stores open as guests leave, and it was very strange but welcome sight. It seemed, just for once, it wasn`t just about the money. Of cousre, World of Disney is opposite the tram stop and was open but even so.

We did ride the railroad. We did look puzzled at the sideways seating but found it favourable. The dioramas were very nice, especially for the history buff in me. And we did do Great Moments with Mr Lincoln. The display area and preshow footage was a treat; the Steve Martin trilogy captivated Michelle and myself. The show itself was very nice, but as someone who knows Epcots AmAd and MKs HOP very well it was all so familiar, more so the audio. Almost too familiar. But I`m glad the park actually saw fit to have this attraction open again, I`m still a litle shocked it is in Town Square in a prime retail location. Maybe I`ve become too cynical with how Orlandos Main St has become.

And so I think that is it. Unless there any questions? I went to Disneyland expecting a lot and virtually all my expectations were exceeded. I think I can actually say this; if we didn`t have so many friends in Orlando, if next fall wasn`t WDWs 40th anniversary, and if there was only the MK in Orlando I feel sure we`d be heading back to Anaheim next year. We enjoyed it so much, despite travelling 16000 miles over 9 flights and 2 lots of 8 time zones.

We`ll certainly be back.

Mukta

Reading your whole trip report this morning warmed my heart. While I love WDW as a vacation destination, DL is my home. I have visited that park since I was a tot and as an AP holder and local, I visit weekly.
The little details mean so much to me and DL is full of them.
I blow a kiss to the light above the firehouse every night and thank Walt for what he has done. (I like to pretend he still lives up in that apartment) I feel his presence in each detail. I don't feel him as much in WDW.
Did you see the Pixie Hollow nighttime light show?
Did you get all 3 options for the opening room of Indy? (wealth, youth/beauty and psychic powers)
Where did you stay?

The next time you visit, I hope you get to see Remember. . . It is truly a spectacular fireworks show.
Of course, Xmas time is also quite lovely. IASW is amazing during that time.

BrerFrog

I will be honest and say that I only read the first part (I will read the rest when my boss goes to lunch), but I have got to say your initial report really made me feel like going to DL. I want to ride Indy so badly.

Martin,

Great report! As someone who has never been to DL but always wanted to go, you did an amazing job of comparing it to everything I know and WDW and making me want to take the time to get out there sooner rather than later.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Martin,

Fodor's called; they have your "Travel Writer" contract drawn up and awaiting your signature....

Wonderful report. I can't wait to go out there myself in a few years. :sohappy:

sponono88

Edit: EEK! I almost forgot; Animation. I was told if nothing else to go and sit in the lobby. Okay I grumbled, if I must. I`m so glad I did. I walked in and stood in awe for a good few minutes. The media, the audio, the screens all showing their own things but all interacting with eachother... a real goosebump moment. I sat in the middle of the hall and videotaped for a good ten minutes, then just put the camera down and sat on a sofa and watched. And watched. I didn`t do any of the other things in there. I didn`t want to. I just wanted to watch. DHS could just put this multimedia show into an empty stage (Stage 4 anyone?) and have a winner. The annoying PA calls for Turtle Talk and the rest could be stopped, aside from that it was a real gem.

Glad you enjoyed Animation! A real hidden gem for DCA :) As for the PA calls, yes they can be a bit annoying.. but they weren't the from the beginning. Relatively recent addition in an effort to get people to visit the other exhibits. Most confused guests would just stay in the lobby and didn't realize they were different shows/walkthroughs available. Nevertheless, the lobby is still amazing.

And re: Mr.Lincoln - Yes, I was curious to hear your thoughts because the attraction does borrow music from the American Adventure. I think it fits pretty well. Before the 50th the Lincoln show was very different - it relied on binaural audio and was quite a change from the show Walt originally designed.

Wilt Dasney

Glad you enjoyed Animation! A real hidden gem for DCA :) As for the PA calls, yes they can be a bit annoying.. but they weren't the from the beginning. Relatively recent addition in an effort to get people to visit the other exhibits. Most confused guests would just stay in the lobby and didn't realize they were different shows/walkthroughs available. Nevertheless.. the lobby is still amazing.

The Animation lobby is one example of something (maybe the only thing?) DCA has over DL in my view...the newer park has more of those relatively quiet, out-of-the-way places where you can have a seat and relax in a pleasant surrounding. As Martin pointed out, DL is packed to the gills with exciting details and fun things to see, but that can be a two-edged sword because those details attract so many people and leave so little room to just catch your breath.

ttalovebug

Fantastic report, especially regarding the details. Really makes it easy to visualize for someone like myself who has never been. Reading this really makes me anxious to go to DLR one of these days. Hearing all the glowing reports from Cali really makes me sad for our parks here in FL, though. If only they were taken care of as well as DLR is.

Thanks again for the report! :wave:

mcjaco

Very nice recap, Martin.

I've been to WDW/MK almost ten times more often than DLR, but I still find myself enjoying each equally. Both have so many subtle differences that make each park enjoyable. I'm glad to see you're now a Indy convert too! :animwink:

I agree with almost every one of your insights in to DL. Tomorrow land has a much more futuristic feel too it, almost an enclosed stark reality feeling (whereas I feel Orlando's is a bit too open in areas), but there's so much bad show going on, it really kills the theming. And yes, move the Orbiter!

NOS is by far my favorite area along with Adventureland. I just love those two areas, and find myself sitting on a bench eating "meats on a stick" and people watching.

My first visit to DCA was in 2007. I found it to be a hodge podge of themed areas, but still really enjoyed it, and didn't understand the extereme hatred that park garners. I thought it was pretty good, and the theming in a few areas was on par with much of DAK. Lots of visual candy, just not a whole lot of substance. Totally agree on entrance plaza. That sun thing, is an abomination!

devoy1701

I agree with most of your observations about the resort. When we were planning our December 2009 trip, the feedback we were getting from everyone was "you're going to be bored" "you're going to be so disappointed" "why would you want to go out there when you have Disney World an HOUR away!?"

We were only able to spend 6 full days and nights out there, and we probably could have used another 6 days and nights to see everything we wanted to see (and this was BEFORE WoC opened!) We ended up spending just as much time in DCA as we did DL, yet we didn't find time to ride Soarin', TSMM, or ITTBAB. Over at DL we didn't get to ride the train, Star Tours, Splash, Jungle Cruise, or Fantasmic, and was only able to ride the Matterhorn, Small World, and Indy once. You always here from everyone that DCA is a one day park and DL is a 2 or 3 day park, but we forgot that one of the things we like to do MOST with the WDW parks is to take the time to just walk around, snap picture, people watch, listen to the back ground music, and explore all of the eye candy. There is just so much to look at in Disneyland and it always seemed like there was a new walkway or nook that needed to be explored! We were also very glad to see the detail as opposed to the wide open concrete terraces that WDW seems to favor. And the outdoor loading queues are a pleasant experience to those of us used to the hot, humid, and suddenly rainy WDW weather.

What a fantastic experience being a first timer in Disneyland is! And it's going to be an even more exciting return trip with the addition of Little Mermaid, Carsland, WoC, and hopefully the PeopleMover!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom