News Muppet Vision 3D operating under reduced hours

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
No, It is when Waldo says to Bean to "lets burn rubber" and morphs wheels to his body it makes a skidding noise which would have triggered a fog machine to look like the effect is 4D..

Ahh... I don't recall seeing a fog effect during that part in all the times I've seen the show, but it could have happened many, many years ago and I've just forgotten.

Jon81uk

One thing that bugs me about this.......Why couldn't they have just done this to the Magic Eye theater than Muppet*Vision? You can litterally watch all three shorts and have your own Disney-Pixar FIlm Festival...

What do you mean done this? The film festival already closes at 7pm along with a lot of other Future World attractions.
and its the same logic in both parks, Future World is quieter after 7pm as people move to World Showcase for dinner and to watch Illuminations.
The Grand Avenue side of Hollywood studios is quieter in the evening as people get dinner and move to watch Fantasmic or the fireworks show.

Also the film festival is relatively new, yes many people have seen the short films at the cinema, but watching them with 3D glasses on a big screen will always be a better experience than unofficial YouTube videos.
I'd seen Muppet Vision six times or more after going to Disney parks for 15 years. Each of the short films I had seen once (before the film it came out with), and now once in Epcot. So for me it was still a newer experience to see the shorts again than it is to see Muppet Vision again (not that I don't love a salute to all nations but mostly America).

Last edited:

junglecruise93

Just an update - was there this past weekend (Sunday, Oct 28) and our showing of MV3D was packed - I would guess house was at 3/4 capacity (of course the park itself was full as well). Great show - hate to see it reduced.

geekza

I'd seen Muppet Vision six times or more after going to Disney parks for 15 years. Each of the short films I had seen once (before the film it came out with), and now once in Epcot. So for me it was still a newer experience to see the shorts again than it is to see Muppet Vision again (not that I don't love a salute to all nations but mostly America).
While it's true that most folks will have only seen these shorts once in 3D, the theater used to show films that could only be experienced in the parks. Plus, they were filmed with large-format film cameras and, at least in the case of Magic Journeys, at a higher framerate than standard film projection, giving a clarity and impact that is still not possible in all but the most modern of cinemas in fairly large cities.

Digital has a lot of benefits, but it's a shame that film has developed a false reputation of being somehow inferior to digital. Film formats like real IMAX, 70mm, and Showscan provided image quality that makes current digital techniques look terrible. That isn't to say that digital technology hasn't continued to improve, but it has a long way to go before it reaches the height of what film could do going back to the 1970's and before. Heck, Cinerama from the 1950's is still probably the most amazing viewing experience I've ever had. Three cameras; a giant, curved screen; high-fidelity, multi-channel sound. I got to see some Cinerama films at a revival in the 1990's and was blown away.

I digress. The point is that the theater in Imagination used to be an attraction that offered an experience that could only be seen at WDW. Now, it's a place that shows only marginally-better-quality presentations of shorts that people can watch at home on their Blu-ray players. It's another example of current Disney management aiming for the middle instead of reaching for new heights.

Jon81uk

It's another example of current Disney management aiming for the middle instead of reaching for new heights.

and while that is true, I also assume this attraction is "temporary" and once they work out what is happening to the rest of the Imagination pavilion hopefully the show will get swapped out alongside the ride. But Captain EO and Honey I shrunk the audience were dated so a change was needed, just hopefully the whole pavilion gets changed out ASAP.

Cmdr_Crimson

What do you mean done this? The film festival already closes at 7pm along with a lot of other Future World attractions..
Everytime I have gone I hardly see anyone going in..It has lesser crowds than Philharmagic and Muppet*Vision..they should open it at 12pm. And IMO this should not be a Fastpass+ Option for this...

Last edited:

geekza

and while that is true, I also assume this attraction is "temporary" and once they work out what is happening to the rest of the Imagination pavilion hopefully the show will get swapped out alongside the ride. But Captain EO and Honey I shrunk the audience were dated so a change was needed, just hopefully the whole pavilion gets changed out ASAP.
Amen to that.

HiJe

Muppets moving to Epcot along with MuppetLab?

This gave me an idea. Would the Muppets be out of place taking over the Imagination Pavilion? Turn the ride into the Muppet lab with Figment becoming a new Muppet friend? Combine the 2, Muppets with Figment and Imagination, into 1? Or morph it into a Muppets in Space ride that kind of Tongue-in-cheek mocks GoTG and Mission: Space?

Cmdr_Crimson

This gave me an idea. Would the Muppets be out of place taking over the Imagination Pavilion? Turn the ride into the Muppet lab with Figment becoming a new Muppet friend? Combine the 2, Muppets with Figment and Imagination, into 1? Or morph it into a Muppets in Space ride that kind of Tongue-in-cheek mocks GoTG and Mission: Space?
What makes this even "weirder" is the current voice of Figment is Dave Goelz..The voice of Gonzo...

Last edited:

geekza

I don't know. As much as I love the Muppets, I long for some sort of return to sincerity in attractions. I'm tired of post-modern snark. Today, more than ever, we need things that give us hope and positivity, especially in places like WDW. That's why the old Disney movies and TV shows hold up. EPCOT Center was all about, "Hey! Look what we did and what we'll be able to accomplish when we put our minds and talents towards achieving progress." I know that they're abandoning Future World in general, but it sure would be nice. What am I saying? Whatever goes there will have no purpose other than to satisfy an itch to see familiar IP whilst providing a momentary thrill that will be forgotten as soon as it's over. Artistry and purpose have no place at Disney any longer except as a means to boost quarterly profits.

HiJe

What makes this even "weirder" is the current voice of Figment is Dave Golez..The voice of Gonzo...

So it's settled then. Somebody get Iger on the phone and lets get this done. I smell profit from the movie and merchandise potential and I know Bobby will be down for that.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
WDW doesn't know how to handle this franchise unfortunately. No upgrades to the theatre show in DHS, random presence in Epcot and a newish show in Liberty square in MK. Honestly the best fit would be if they invested where it currently is, in DHS.

HiJe

I don't know. As much as I love the Muppets, I long for some sort of return to sincerity in attractions. I'm tired of post-modern snark. Today, more than ever, we need things that give us hope and positivity, especially in places like WDW. That's why the old Disney movies and TV shows hold up. EPCOT Center was all about, "Hey! Look what we did and what we'll be able to accomplish when we put our minds and talents towards achieving progress." I know that they're abandoning Future World in general, but it sure would be nice. What am I saying? Whatever goes there will have no purpose other than to satisfy an itch to see familiar IP whilst providing a momentary thrill that will be forgotten as soon as it's over. Artistry and purpose have no place at Disney any longer except as a means to boost quarterly profits.

I couldn't agree more. The original ideas and concept of a bright hopeful future is what made me fall in love with the place 30 years ago. I recently visited 2 months ago for the first time 8 years and, although I still love the place and will continue to go, was a little miffed by all of the IP being pushed everywhere. Attractions like Carousel of Progress would be laughed out of the planning meeting nowadays. For the last few years, I have used all things Disney as my escape from the problems of the real world and hope that some originality to rides returns at some point .

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom