Mulch Sweat & Shears end of run?

wannabeBelle

8th is their 11th anniversary and the 10th is their final day :-(.
Yes I know, but I am almost positive Jim's last day is the 8th as well. Can anyone confirm? Also I'll drop him a note to be sure, so anyone who wants to stop by to catch the band with him, can plan for that!! Marie

wdwtopten

I've got to admit that I'm constantly fascinated by how much fandom certain entertainment groups get at WDW. I have nothing against the likes of MS&S or Off Kilter, etc and would be entertained enough if I came upon them and they were playing. And I get that some people are more or less interested in certain types of entertainment.

But these are cover bands. They don't -- as far as I can tell -- do anything particularly special that hundreds, if not thousands, of bands do every day throughout the US. The location being in WDW might be neat, but they seem pretty replaceable to me. I just don't get the woe that occurs when certain entertainment is replaced and I certainly don't think Disney is evil for changing the entertainment periodically -- heck, they should probably do it more frequently.

I'm 100% behind the point of disliking when entertainment is cut without a replacement. We'll see what happens here with DHS, though I've got to think some sort of replacement will occur given the state of the park. Disney should be criticized for decreasing overall entertainment offerings when it occurs. But I just can't get worked up over any individual act being gone. YMMV.

As of the past few years, WDW doesn't really have a great track record as it relates to taking entertainment away and then replacing it with entertainment of the same quality. So I think most people are just skeptical that A) WDW will replace MSS at all B) If they do replace MSS it will be of worthwhile quality.

Additionally, it is just downright strange that WDW would take entertainment offerings out of DHS at this point.

asianway

Original Poster
I've got to admit that I'm constantly fascinated by how much fandom certain entertainment groups get at WDW. I have nothing against the likes of MS&S or Off Kilter, etc and would be entertained enough if I came upon them and they were playing. And I get that some people are more or less interested in certain types of entertainment.

But these are cover bands. They don't -- as far as I can tell -- do anything particularly special that hundreds, if not thousands, of bands do every day throughout the US. The location being in WDW might be neat, but they seem pretty replaceable to me. I just don't get the woe that occurs when certain entertainment is replaced and I certainly don't think Disney is evil for changing the entertainment periodically -- heck, they should probably do it more frequently.

I'm 100% behind the point of disliking when entertainment is cut without a replacement. We'll see what happens here with DHS, though I've got to think some sort of replacement will occur given the state of the park. Disney should be criticized for decreasing overall entertainment offerings when it occurs. But I just can't get worked up over any individual act being gone. YMMV.
@PhotoDave219 has said in other threads, no one is bigger than the show.

It wouldn't surprise me if more frequent turnover of acts is the way of the future since social media has allowed these bands to get their own brand followings on fb and the like. That would eliminate the outrage when acts turnover and cya for entertainment mgmt

wannabeBelle

@PhotoDave219 has said in other threads, no one is bigger than the show.

It wouldn't surprise me if more frequent turnover of acts is the way of the future since social media has allowed these bands to get their own brand followings on fb and the like. That would eliminate the outrage when acts turnover and cya for entertainment mgmt
Not really. Off Kilter I know has gone on to do festivals and shows both individually and together as Off Kilter around the country. Mulch typically doesn't play together outside of Disney so that is not an option. Also as Disney put together Mulch, the name is theirs and if the band wants to play outside of Disney, another name would have to be used such as possibly Los Lawn Boys. Marie

wannabeBelle

Jim, Friend of Morris Mulch normally, responded to my message. Morris was not originally scheduled to work on the last day due to scheduling and other commitments. He is trying to split the day, so he can be there for at least some of the shows. He will let me know as soon as things get all finalized so I can pass along the information. Marie

Last edited:

dstrawn9889

Jim, the current gentleman who plays Morris Mulch normally, responded to my message. He was not originally scheduled to work on the last day due to scheduling and other commitments. He is trying to split the day, so he can be there for at least some of the shows. He will let me know as soon as things get all finalized so I can pass along the information. Marie
'friend of' morris mulch

disneypearl

Jim, Friend of Morris Mulch normally, responded to my message. Morris was not originally scheduled to work on the last day due to scheduling and other commitments. He is trying to split the day, so he can be there for at least some of the shows. He will let me know as soon as things get all finalized so I can pass along the information. Marie

I really wish I could be there. Sadly, I won't be able to see them play again. I hope they get a great crowd for their final performances. It would be nice if Disney gave them all new roles, even if it has to be individually.

doctornick

As of the past few years, WDW doesn't really have a great track record as it relates to taking entertainment away and then replacing it with entertainment of the same quality.

Opinion, though, as "quality" is a very eye of the beholder thing. I remember all the angst with the Epcot cuts a year ago... and they ended up replacing the four removed acts with four different acts. Now, people might not like the replacement acts (I already hear the typing of the inevitable lumberjacks response) but not all entertainment appeals to all people. It's not unreasonable for Disney to replace acts periodically with different ones, especially ones that are more unique and distinct and might appeal to a variety of guests.

I don't really like the lumberjacks either, but thought the other new additions to Epcot looked quite interested and, if anything, were more in theme with the ambiance of Epcot. Personally, I'm not all that fond of the idea of a cover band -- the likes of which can be seen at bars virtually anywhere in this country -- being a key entertainment component in a Disney park. Maybe at DTD, but inside the parks, I would like to think there would be more unique options. YMMV.

wannabeBelle

Keep in mind that being a cover band was what they were told to do!!! Im sure the band has input as to what they are going to play but as far as originals, I dont think that was an option. Now outside of Disney, I know several of the guys either created or work in other bands where they do have more of a say so on what they play including originals. One of the bands that incorporates the members or subs of Mulch is Megaphone. Check that out here for some really good hard rock: For something a bit lighter the regular keyboard player was doing some stuff for a while. Here is one of my favorites: I know all of them do work with other bands as well, but I dont keep track of all of them. You cant always judge a book by it's cover or cover songs in this case. Enjoy the great music! Marie

wannabeBelle

This is an open invitation to all y'all. I'll be at the last Mulch show(s) on October 10, Find me and I'd be delighted to buy you a beverage of your choice, for you to enjoy during the show.
Hi Len, You got it!!!! I dont even need the beverage, just your excellent company is great!!! Also if you can talk among your people and see if anyone can do video to share out with the rest of the fans who couldnt make it down, that would be wonderful!! Marie

lentesta

Premium Member
Hi Len, You got it!!!! I dont even need the beverage, just your excellent company is great!!! Also if you can talk among your people and see if anyone can do video to share out with the rest of the fans who couldnt make it down, that would be wonderful!! Marie

Wooo! Looking forward to it.

A couple of folks have agreed to Periscope it. I'll get you the details & have extra batteries on hand.

wannabeBelle

That is great about the Periscope. Also I spoke to Martin Smith. If we can get regular Video and audio from the soundboard he will do one of his wonderful edits for that as well. This is shaping up to be one heck of a party. Also for everyone's FYI. I have heard that the last show at 4:30pm will be held at the Center Stage area and not on Streets of America. I havent gotten official confirmation on that as of yet, but it seems reasonable. Marie

rael ramone

Not really. Off Kilter I know has gone on to do festivals and shows both individually and together as Off Kilter around the country. Mulch typically doesn't play together outside of Disney so that is not an option. Also as Disney put together Mulch, the name is theirs and if the band wants to play outside of Disney, another name would have to be used such as possibly Los Lawn Boys. Marie

I think the point is that, in the future - new acts being added to the parks won't last long enough to generate fans.

lentesta

Premium Member
That is great about the Periscope. Also I spoke to Martin Smith. If we can get regular Video and audio from the soundboard he will do one of his wonderful edits for that as well. This is shaping up to be one heck of a party. Also for everyone's FYI. I have heard that the last show at 4:30pm will be held at the Center Stage area and not on Streets of America. I havent gotten official confirmation on that as of yet, but it seems reasonable. Marie

I'm 99% sure the last show is at the center stage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom