Mulch Sweat & Shears end of run?

LL2WDW

Why get rid of Mulch now? Well if you haven't noticed Disney has been on a mission the last two years to get rid of Union entertainment acts and bring in third party contractors.

Shows definitely close, no doubt about that. But over the past two years (just off the top of my head): Frozen Sing-along (AEA actors), Rivers of Light (AEA dancers), new Villains show (AEA actors and dancers), new Star Wars offerings (not AEA, but union), Hocus Pocus (AEA singers and dancers), new Star Wars show (AEA actors), Frozen castle lighting (AEA actors). That's just what I remember by reading these boards, or a very quick glance at their auditions website.

It may seem like they are closing union roles, but that's selective interpretation. Plenty of new opportunities are available.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Shows definitely close, no doubt about that. But over the past two years (just off the top of my head): Frozen Sing-along (AEA actors), Rivers of Light (AEA dancers), new Villains show (AEA actors and dancers), new Star Wars offerings (not AEA, but union), Hocus Pocus (AEA singers and dancers), new Star Wars show (AEA actors), Frozen castle lighting (AEA actors). That's just what I remember by reading these boards, or a very quick glance at their auditions website.

It may seem like they are closing union roles, but that's selective interpretation. Plenty of new opportunities are available.
It doesn't change the fact that Disney is removing things left and right. Most of the shows you mentioned are either seasonal or have yet to open.

lentesta

Premium Member
And one more comment: Anyone know the significance of October 10? Seems a little odd to continue them just a smidge past the start of the fiscal year. Is that date related to a contract with the band? Is that when they'll start to demo the backstage area where their truck, etc is held? Is some new entertainment coming that doesn't start until after the 10th which is why they're keeping them until then (Launch Bay? Villains show? Something else entirely?)?

I believe Mulch's 11-year anniversary is October 8. Disney may have agreed to the extra days to get them to that point.

I'm sad to see them go. Some very talented musicians. Going to try to see one of the last shows.

asianway

Original Poster

I agree-I think it's more a matter of they never really fit the theme(other than being part of the hodgepodge DHS became). They really wouldn't fit post-refurb

wannabeBelle

Agreed Asianway, so let's get the refurb done or very close to that, THEN remove them!!! Not with an idea that is 5 years down the road!! Marie

mm52200

Agreed Asianway, so let's get the refurb done or very close to that, THEN remove them!!! Not with an idea that is 5 years down the road!! Marie
Let's also not forget about the parade and Disney Channel Rocks show, two major entertainment offerings at DHS that were closed in 2013 in anticipation of the "rumored Star Wars Land/expansion" at the time. Neither of those offerings have been replaced still to this day. Now MSS has been cut, along with the loss of many character meet and greets. Entertainment should be ADDED at a time like this, not cut.

wannabeBelle

Let's also not forget about the parade and Disney Channel Rocks show, two major entertainment offerings at DHS that were closed in 2013 in anticipation of the "rumored Star Wars Land/expansion" at the time. Neither of those offerings have been replaced still to this day. Now MSS has been cut, along with the loss of many character meet and greets. Entertainment should be ADDED at a time like this, not cut.
Where is the LOVE button when you need it???? Marie

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
And in the process of building things left and right.

^This.
Disney is not "building things left and right", they're spreading these projects across ridiculous lengths of time.

Last edited:

ChesterKiwi

Good riddance. Every time I have gone the frontman has been a total jerk to my family members and acted totally pretentious.

They did do Lit's "My Own Worst Enemy" justice back in December of '13, I'll give them that. But I will not miss them.

Would love to have the guitarist's PRS Custom 24 though. :p

Next Big Thing

I have to wonder if they'll be brought back for July 4th and NYE still. They've been playing the accompanying music live to the fireworks for I don't know how many years now.

don guy

Wow it's a sad day in mudsville that such a great band is going to get cut in the shuffle we always made it a point to see one or more shows every time we were there we loved the crowd interaction that they had and for all that didn't like them no one made you stop to watch them so keep walking and go see your frozen show

NowInc

The band themselves were pretty much told 4 hours before the official announcement. It was a very sad situation, conducted by a higher up that the band had never even seen before reading off a pre-written speech about them not being needed anymore.

They are not going to be relocated...they will all have to re-apply for jobs at Disney if they wish to go somewhere else (there ARE other entertainment offerings on property with openings currently). Whats being said here is true, that the truck storage area was the FINAL factor in this decision (toy story land), however they have been on the chopping block longer than many realize. It had run its course and wasn't drawing the crowds that typically make management happy. That would be the reason its not being simply "relocated".

Some of the band members are the nicest people you could ever meet, and although this is horrible..I have confidence they will all find a better gig at other places (just not with one another :x) .

NearTheEars

I enjoyed the band, especially when they would take the stage for special events, like that Monsters University summer series, and their performance on the first Villains night made the traffic and crowds worth while.

I did favor the male lead lineup, but both were always entertaining. We will have to get over to see them one last time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom