MSN Disney Article

wvdisneyfamily

lol @ the people who say the man has a troubled life because he doesn't like Disney World.

I don't think everyone is saying that he's troubled because he doesn't enjoy WDW. Many of the posters seem to feel that this person should not put WDW and the people that enjoy it down because he didn't really like it.

majortom1981

hmm

I know this is a wdw fansite but why is it the whole site must bash somebody who found problems with wdw or didnt like their most recent visit?

To me it seems like wdw is going completely away from Walts vision for the place. The more this happens I feel the world will start losing its popularity.

Remember if yoou dont let anybody criticize the parks they wont get anybetter because then management wont know what they need to fix.

jakeman

Jakester, I think you may have missed the point. As I said after that post, I was using Nazi Germany to make a point about the other poster's misuse of logic, not comparing Nazi Germany to Disney. Pointing out that you can't logically justify something by saying, "Millions of people approve of it."
My apologies for misinterpreting your statement. However, comparing most anything to Nazi Germany is the equivalent of swatting a fly with a Buick. Sure it may get the job done, but the issue of swatting the fly is eclipse by the fact you used a Buick.

Again, sorry I misinterpreted you.

JDM

Wow.
After the first two posts, I could predict how this thread was going to turn out. But, I have to say, many of you outdid yourselves! My personal favorite: "Critical thinking is a waste of time." Again: Wow. That's just such an awesome statement. Congratulations. You should be proud.

I read the ENTIRE article. I agree with some of it and disagree with some. But, isn't the "Anti-Disney Manifesto" that it is portrayed to be. And while I agree that it was written from a somewhat pre-ordained cynical perspective, it is also true that it contains not only some hard truths about Disney, but some very positive statements as well.

Disney emphasizes merchandising and marketing to an extreme level: Hard to argue (credibly, anyway) that it's not true.

Disney is focused on the "illusion" of reality, rather than reality itself: Absolutely true. But even he implied that's not always a bad thing.

Disney visitors can be unpleasant, trashy, obnoxious slobs: Yep! But, he never said they cornered the market.

Spaceship Earth is a bit of a snooze: Sorry, but he's right about that. But hey, not everything is a "E" ticket, nor should it be.

EPCOT is focused more on education and environmental preaching than it is on entertainment: Again, not an inherently bad thing, and I DID enjoy the park. But if the park's history didn't bear that statement out, you wouldn't see fewer "World Of Wonders" and more "Test Tracks". They (Disney folks)seem to recognize what he's talking about. (Personally, I'm okay with the expensive margaritas, but I agree Donald has nothing to do with Mexico.)

But, let's remember some other things he said:
He liked Everest
He liked Small World
He thought Tower of Terror was well done.
He is fully appreciative of the engineering and detail work.
He recognizes that the experience is truly magical for many and doesn't criticize them for it.
His so-called criticism about Africa was amusing, but also a compliment to Disney.

In short, I think he really does "get it". It's just not his cup of tea. He seems pretty accepting of that--UNLIKE many of those on these boards. His tolerance seems far greater than that of many people here.

Sorry for the critical thinking.:lookaroun

Lee

Adventurer
My personal favorite: "Critical thinking is a waste of time." Again: Wow. That's just such an awesome statement. Congratulations. You should be proud.
That wasn't my statement exactly, but I wouldn't mind amending it.
"Critical thinking is a waste of my time."

It's just not my "cup of tea."

:D

Timmay

In short, I think he really does "get it". It's just not his cup of tea. He seems pretty accepting of that--UNLIKE many of those on these boards. His tolerance seems far greater than that of many people here.

Sorry for the critical thinking.:lookaroun

Right on the money...and in the long run, what he thinks or believes about WDW has ZERO affect on me at all. It will not change a single opinion or vacation I take at WDW.

yankspy

That wasn't my statement exactly, but I wouldn't mind amending it.
"Critical thinking is a waste of my time."

It's just not my "cup of tea."

:D

So I guess people like Plato,Aristotle,Newton,Descartes,Einstein,Jefferson,etc.. are a waste of your time?:)

Ilovewishes

To be controversial, I have to agree with the quote "But if you've ever actually been outside America, this nod to the rest of the world is mostly just insulting" to an extent.

I'm British and the UK part of the World Showcase is just so unrealistic! Apparently, it is supposed to be Britain as was in the Victorian times (or so a CM told me) but if so, how come the UK is the only one designed that way???:shrug:

Lee

Adventurer
So I guess people like Plato,Aristotle,Newton,Descartes,Einstein,Jefferson,etc.. are a waste of your time?:)

No, no...that's taking it too far. Nice brains on those guys.

My distaste is for the modern, pretentious, "I'm smarter than you and if you disagree with me then you are obviously a moron" type of thinking.

When I read about a trip to WDW, I want to know:
-Did you like it?
-Why or why not?

I have no interest in hearing about how you didn't like it because of it's heavy reliance on post modern urban consumerist myopia...or some such.

As I've said, it's okay if folks like that kind of thing. I just happen to not. :shrug:

Eyorefan

To be controversial, I have to agree with the quote "But if you've ever actually been outside America, this nod to the rest of the world is mostly just insulting" to an extent.

I'm British and the UK part of the World Showcase is just so unrealistic! Apparently, it is supposed to be Britain as was in the Victorian times (or so a CM told me) but if so, how come the UK is the only one designed that way???:shrug:

I always thought America was made to look like sometime around 1776. Aren't all the CMs in the countries dressed in "traditional" clothing?

Besides, I don't think anyone takes the World Showcase as a model for what those countries are really like. I'm American and have never traveled outside of the US, and no I don't expect to go to England and find nothing but tutor style buildings and Beatles tribute bands. I don't take my trips to EPCOT as a good alternative to being a world traveler. If I could afford to travel to all of those counties I would.

yankspy

:wave:
No, no...that's taking it too far. Nice brains on those guys.

My distaste is for the modern, pretentious, "I'm smarter than you and if you disagree with me then you are obviously a moron" type of thinking.

When I read about a trip to WDW, I want to know:
-Did you like it?
-Why or why not?

I have no interest in hearing about how you didn't like it because of it's heavy reliance on post modern urban consumerist myopia...or some such.

As I've said, it's okay if folks like that kind of thing. I just happen to not. :shrug:

Okay, perhaps a misunderstanding. I have to say, as a budding academic I often tire of people who use words just to prove that they read the Oxford English Dictionary. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom