MSN Disney Article

disnyfan89

Well, at least it was a well written article which had a few valid points here oans there but for the most part focused far to much on the negative and did not present a well balanced argument. There were also some comments in said article that felt unneeded and somewhat offensive. Also, for someone who did not enjoy his trip, he had an awful lot of well researched and intuitive knowledge about the history and design of Disney World. Not to mention the history and philosophy of Walt Disney himself.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
He seems to know so little about WDW that he should be ashedm to be a professional travel writer. Not that he couldn't be a professional and still not know, but that he wrote an article on WDW without bothering to research or learn anyhing about it first.

He read books like Vinyl Leaves. Like that actually relates to how the park operates on a daily basis and how people visit it? Not at all. Worse, he thinks it does.

disnyfan89

He seems to know so little about WDW that he should be ashedm to be a professional travel writer. Not that he couldn't be a professional and still not know, but that he wrote an article on WDW without bothering to research or learn anyhing about it first.

He read books like Vinyl Leaves. Like that actually relates to how the park operates on a daily basis and how people visit it? Not at all. Worse, he thinks it does.
Im sorry I have to disagree. He made several mentions of terms and other books (such as The Imagineer's Feild Guide.) He also knew a good amount of history when it came to Walt Disney. He either knew this information in advance or he did a lot of research before or after his trip. After all, how many people know that It's A Small World was a ballad and then played faster for the ride?

LordHelmut

The write of the article is one of the inspirations for the movie Idiocracy

He could have just shorted the article to several quotes....

'you're a 'tard' cause you know stuff.... and you like epcot'

'this is boring'

'I *am* a tool, and I want everyone to know it'

I am always stunned at the total lack of perspective when folks write these articles... it is almost as if they are forced to take the trip & write something.

I don't expect fanboy articles, but geeze.... Sadly, he gets none of the concept. Probably hates kids, dogs and apple pie too.....

Lee

Adventurer
My number one rule for happiness:
Ignore anyone who frequently uses following words or phrases like the following:

-pedestrianism
-population dynamic
-New Urbanist
-techno-utopian
-Disneyist dogma
-utopianism
-totalitarian

People of that sort are to be ignored or, at most, laughed at. Don't belive me? Try reading "Vinyl Leaves". You'll toss the book across the room inside of an hour.

Critics and overly critical thinkers...don't like 'em.:mad:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Ignore anyone who frequently uses following words or phrases like the following:

-pedestrianism
-population dynamic
-New Urbanist
-techno-utopian
-Disneyist dogma
-utopianism
-totalitarian

People of that sort are to be ignored or, at most, laughed at. Don't belive me? Try reading "Vinyl Leaves". You'll toss the book across the room inside of an hour.

You said what i was trying to say better! Vinyl Leaves is ridiculous.

Wilt Dasney

I enjoyed Vinyl Leaves, although it's been years since I read it. :shrug: The author definitely took an overanalytical eye, but Disney does lend itself to some of that, and I got the sense the VL writer respected and enjoyed what Disney was about while he was picking it apart, something that can't be said for most of what the Slate author wrote.

DisneyAnole

-pedestrianism
-population dynamic
-New Urbanist
-techno-utopian
-Disneyist dogma
-utopianism
-totalitarian

Why are you so critical of critical thinking? Academics have a specific vocabulary they use to discuss ideas. It's really no different than Disney fans who use their own lingo and acronyms.

I realize it's not popular to suggest that WDW can be analyzed in academic terms, but it seems close-minded to reject such analysis out of hand.

dandaman

Why are you so critical of critical thinking? Academics have a specific vocabulary they use to discuss ideas.

Yeah... confusion.

I hate writers that use words you would never use in normal conversation.

Unless they teach me new words, in which case it's a learning experience. But alas, as a teenager I'm programmed to hate education. :lookaroun

fyn

While I'm not going to say for certain this was the case, I feel comfortable assuming the following:

- The writer's kids wanted to go to Disney World
- The writer, being a writer, needs money to live, so he proposes writing an article to be able to write the trip off as a business expense.
- If you've ever read Slate, the magazine this was published in, you already know he's not going to give a raving and glowing "I had fun at Walt Disney World" article. Slate's readership wouldn't be interested, because its expected.

jakeman

...3. 100,000 people can be wrong. Look at Nazi Germany. You can't use numbers of people to justify an argument. That's the ad populum logical fallacy...

As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Can we please refrain from referencing the Nazi's for any sort of analogy on a Walt Disney World fan site?

There is nothing at Disney that could be an apt analogy to Nazi Germany, and to attempt to do so is not only a disgrace to Disney but also downplays the horrible nature of that regime.

With that said, I don't think there is anything wrong with overanalyzing the parks or the company, as long as you acknowledge that you are doing that to a theme park.

Please correct me if I am wrong, Lee, but I think what you are trying to say is that being critical of something as trivial as a theme park is a waste of critical thinking.

bugsbunny

Mickey Mouse has been identified as one of the most recognizable objects in the world. So I have to imagine Disney did something right to get there and something right to make WDW the most traveled vacation spot in the world.

But this article clearly states that when it comes to WDW you either get it or you don't. The author certianly doesn't. Actually, he basically seems as a stick in the mud where nothing makes him happy when it comes to stimulating his senses or his mind. Clearly, only things he deems important or stimulating meet the criteria. Obviously, a control freak who must only feels comfortable when able to dictate all aspsect of the enjoyment. Good luck with that. ;)

wvdisneyfamily

I can only think of one reply to that article.
You just don't get it, do you? :veryconfu
Two articles have been written lately that really anger and insult me. I really think those two authors are trying to imply that those who could find happiness and pleasure in something as "trivial" as WDW are just sad little people without the sophistication to grasp the real world issues of our society.
Some people have adopted this idea that people who enjoy life are shallow. Anyone who goes to WDW, buys a big screen TV, drives a car for fun rather than an excellent MPG rating, goes to a sporting event, or simply walks down the street and window shops is a waste of human flesh. I see it everyday on TV. There are people that choose to stare down at those of us who truly embrace life and enjoy it. It's like we're committing some inexcusable crime by trying to capture the fun and pleasures that life should be abundant in. They argue that people who spend money on things like vacations and material objects are selfish and should be using their means to do better for the world. That's simply not true. Just because I enjoy life and go to WDW doesn't mean that I don't care about the problems of this world. I frequently pray that the best leaders will be elected; I donate to and work with the charities and organizations I believe are trying to make a difference in the world.
Just because some people find ways to escape from the problems of the world doesn't mean they don't care and that they don't try to make a difference. It also doesn't give someone else the right to pass judgement on them. My heart breaks and my eyes cry over the injustices that consume the world just the same as those that call themselves too wordly and wise to enjoy a simple pleasure like WDW.

::steps off soapbox::

DisneyAnole

As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.

Can we please refrain from referencing the Nazi's for any sort of analogy on a Walt Disney World fan site?

There is nothing at Disney that could be an apt analogy to Nazi Germany, and to attempt to do so is not only a disgrace to Disney but also downplays the horrible nature of that regime.

With that said, I don't think there is anything wrong with overanalyzing the parks or the company, as long as you acknowledge that you are doing that to a theme park.

Please correct me if I am wrong, Lee, but I think what you are trying to say is that being critical of something as trivial as a theme park is a waste of critical thinking.

Jakester, I think you may have missed the point. As I said after that post, I was using Nazi Germany to make a point about the other poster's misuse of logic, not comparing Nazi Germany to Disney. Pointing out that you can't logically justify something by saying, "Millions of people approve of it."

Lee

Adventurer
Why are you so critical of critical thinking? Academics have a specific vocabulary they use to discuss ideas. It's really no different than Disney fans who use their own lingo and acronyms.

It ain't the words...it's the ideas.
It's probably just me, but I am a strict believer in fun for fun's sake. Not everything needs to be over-analyzed or subjected to critical thinking which usually results in only making the observer feel superior those he is observing.

All too often the end result is the barely concealed sense of "Boy, look at all these silly, uneducated people. They are actually having fun visiting a simulated version of a real country! How quaint. Don't they realize they are being manipulated by the designers and brainwashed into thinking that this is as good as the real thing! Wow, they must not understand the concept of futurism-utopianism as it relates to post-modern consumerism. Poor, sad little people."

Makes me nauseous.

jakeman said:
No, not really.
What I'm trying to say is that critical thinking in general is a waste of thinking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom