MSEP to Return to WDW for 50th Celebration?

TTA94

Well, if MSEP really is coming back 🙄, better then continue the nighttime parade drought I guess, why not just debut it next year? Or is it really necessary to have this be a 50th only offering? The new HEA 50th version will be the highlight anyway.

CJR

Well, if MSEP really is coming back 🙄, better then continue the nighttime parade drought I guess, why not just debut it next year? Or is it really necessary to have this be a 50th only offering? The new HEA 50th version will be the highlight anyway.

Exactly. MK isn't having real problems drawing crowds, it's the other three. While I would love a new parade, I would rather there be no parade than have MSEP shipped out of California. HEA is doing its job.

It wouldn't be the worst news ever for them to say "We're not getting a parade for the 50th, but we've ordered a new magical parade and it will be coming not too long after that." I think almost everyone would be OK with that. We're OK waiting and getting what's better long term.

Bocabear

you sound like you work for Disney....Yes! by all means, please raise the prices and we won't complain that there is no longer a night parade...continue to remove attractions too! There is a film show being played on the castle!...lol

Brad Bishop

OMG that old thing! PLEASE No! I would gladly accept Spectromagic, but we all know it was destroyed and disposed of...
A world class creative entertainment company that is uber successful, cannot design and turn around a new light parade in 10 or 12 years... That is pretty sad.

I'm a BIG fan of MSEP. That being said - it's run its course and should just be shelved. Bringing it back, to me at least, is just more, "We're out of ideas." (and...shhhh.. maybe a little desperate)

That being said, they did do one parade in the last 10 years which I thought was pretty fantastic but only about 85% of the way there (it seemed unfinished and the music would just stop playing, wait, and then start a new loop - really weird). Still, I thought it was a good parade (fix the freaking music, though). Paint the Night.

To me, they should expand on that for a nighttime parade and just let MSEP die.

...I also understand that many people don't like PtN, though. Is PtN even still around?

jrhwdw

So from what i have been told, and have posted elsewhere in relation to this topic -

Team Anaheim swore up and down that Orlando would 'never again' get to borrow the MSEP for a future run due to WDW's poor treatment and lack of maintenance of the Parade units.
WDW ran the Parade for a few years a while back, and maintenance to the units was the bare minimum.
When the units were returned to Disneyland in CA a couple of years ago for it's prior 'finale run', their condition was appallingly bad.
So bad, that a few MSEP units had to be permanently retired right then and there and have never been seen since.
Thus why the Parade was so short in length these last two runs at the Park.

Flash forward to today, with concerns about 'Galaxy's Edge' not being the attendence driver as expected, and other issues.
Management has been in a panic and there have been some desperation moves happening over the last few months in an attempt to attract Guests back in droves.
Re-running the MSEP this Summer at DLR was one such move.

Well now, it appears that because of internal issues within the Parks division and a desire to prevent a certain high ranking Company leader's job from being forfeited, there has been talk about sending the MSEP back to Florida for WDW's 50th....despite TDA's protesting to keep it 'home' and safe.
Mr.Chapek is apparently insisting, to enable WDW to play the 'retro' card and attract Guests during the Anniversary promotion.
TDO has promised to take better care of the Parade this time around, but TDA has no real say since Chapek has ordered this to happen.
It's his job that's on the line apparently, and this is a attempt to 'save face'.

I have been told that the Parade is being repaired and 'patched up' after this Summer's run at Disneyland Park in preparation for shipping to Florida.
Some of the smaller elements have been said to already be on Property, but i've yet to see confirmation of this.
Once all of the Parade units get to Florida, i was told it will remain there and run until the end of the 50th celebration and then 'that's it'.
The Parade will then be officially retired, and elements will be sent back to CA to be archived.

Now. whether or not that all does indeed happen...we shall see.
Things are ALWAYS changing when it comes to stuff like this.
One minute, it's fact and it's happening - the next minute, things have changed and it's not.
So only time will tell.
I thought it would be good to get this out there now, since i am as surprised as anyone to learn this considering what i was told about Anaheim's disgust in the MSEP's treatment in Florida.
But with all the drama going on internally, it should'nt surprise me considering the crazier stuff that Disney has done in recent years.

I personally would rather the Parade stay 'home' in CA, and that is coming from a huge fan of this Parade who lives on the East Coast. ( not a fan of the current soundtrack, however...blecchh. 70s soundtrack, please....).
WDW should have instead invested in a ALL NEW nighttime light parade as i've stated before, and it's a shame they didn't feel a need to do so.

-
^ Intresting stuff! Looking back on the 2017 MSEP on YT, The only float that wasn't there was Pinocchio's float. So, he walked/danced in front of the PI Face float with the Donkey Boys. I don't get why Pinocchio's float took such a beating from WDW-DL It looked just as good as the others on MK's closing night. Every thing else made it onto DL's Main Street,(No Tink's Balloon but the Float was there) Even Pixie Trail was in tact! Were the floats falling apart on the inside?? Because It looks(to me)to be in the same shape as 2016, 2017, 2019...

1 thing I thought of today is..What's 2022???.. MSEP's 50th!! Most would agree(me included if it wasn't a big Birthday for WDW and we were in different parade times...)that it should be DL for that. But since it's WDW's 50th, plus the fact that MSEP really came from EWP at WDW, MK would do well with it I think.

It's nice to see if the quoted post is true, that Chapek does Think/Care about a Night Parade at MK, not just SWGE, TRON, GOTG and Harm.

Would LOVE to see a confirmation if part of MSEP is at MK's Backstage! If it's spotted during Marathon Weekend THAT would be Something!!!

jrhwdw

you sound like you work for Disney....Yes! by all means, please raise the prices and we won't complain that there is no longer a night parade...continue to remove attractions too! There is a film show being played on the castle!...lol
HEA is more than a film show, So are the Party Pyro.

HOWEVER It wouldn't Hurt MK to install TDL's OUAT Pyro Package for MK's OUAT! That can only help OUAT if it sticks around!

CJR

If you were talking about me, no I don't.

What I'm saying is that instead of shipping out MSEP from Disneyland to us for the 50th, using the justification that they "can't build a new parade in time", I'm ok with them not having a parade for a bit longer, while they build a new parade in the time it takes to build one, how ever long it is.

Then, when it's ready, we'd have a new parade instead of MSEP running down the streets for two more decades. I'm patient if it's done right. I'd sacrifice the 50th if it meant we got it by year 51 or 52, personally speaking.

Figments Friend

Does Paint The Night still exist?

Yes.
It's in Anaheim, shelved in storage, as it is more expensive to operate payroll wise then MSEP.
Thus why you keep seeing the MSEP trotted out instead of the newer Parade offering.
Cost to operate.

PTN also needed to be shelved for a period of time to allow costume repairs and maintenance of the float units.
It ran pretty much non-stop for like 15 months or so during Disneyland's Diamond Anniversary a few years back.
They used it for a short time over at DCA post-Anniversary, but since then it's been in storage.
-

techgeek

Disney could have a brand new nighttime parade up and running by the 50th, they just may choose not to.

This talk of how it takes multiple years to develop and stage a parade completely baffles me. The original MSEP at Disneyland was developed in months. Following the success of WDW's Electrical Water Pageant in October of 1971, the 'land' version was green-lit and ran the next summer - June 1972.

This is also a company that in the late 90's staged a new parade at MGM Studios every 2 years, themed to a current animation release.

A parade isn't a new land. It shouldn't have a 5 year development cycle. It's completely inexcusable and an embarrassment that the worldwide leader in themed entertainment can't even manage a new night parade for a milestone celebration.

jrhwdw

This talk of how it takes multiple years to develop and stage a parade completely baffles me. The original MSEP at Disneyland was developed in months. Following the success of WDW's Electrical Water Pageant in October of 1971, the 'land' version was green-lit and ran the next summer - June 1972.

This is also a company that in the late 90's staged a new parade at MGM Studios every 2 years, themed to a current animation release.

A parade isn't a new land. It shouldn't have a 5 year development cycle. It's completely inexcusable and an embarrassment that the worldwide leader in themed entertainment can't even manage a new night parade for a milestone celebration.
OR 1 right now!

Goofyernmost

Hell, it can be developed in a day, not well, but developed! How long does it take to physically build? Those floats require far more detail than a show building or show sets. They are covered with tens of thousands of lights, all strategically placed, to become a virtual piece of art many times over for each float. The lights have to be programmed almost individually to get the desired affect. That is why it can take that long.

How do we know how long the original took to develop and build. Walt had many incarnations of what kind of park he wanted and the original was nothing like what actually happened. That could have been in development for years and even after it was built quickly and refined over the years. Everything including that parade was very primitive in the beginning. We have only seen the more advanced version of any of them. My guess is that it was on the drawing board long before the park was built.

I don't know why they haven't managed to do a new one. Perhaps, they just don't want to and figure if a parade remains missing long enough the public has a very short memory and will soon forget it ever existed to begin with. I think they want to stick to the Castle projection show and fireworks and let the night parade rest in piece just keeping the daytime one. When the projection show dies off, it will be replaced by a new parade or something completely different.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom