MSEP, MK Perimeter fireworks, heading to WDW this summer - Summer Nightastic

WDW1974

Why did I know what the typical reaction would be?

I am drowning in fanboi foam.

It's very tough to put my thoughts down because my initial reaction is that what has been announced is very good news.

I love the MSEP. Don't care much for Spectro.

I love MMM, which I have been told is the show that's coming (and which some Spirit has suggested would be a great replacement for the syrupy Wishes) and don't feel the love of moppets singing in Wishes.

I love ToT and anything done to plus it can only be a good thing.

DAK is such an amazing park and expanding its hours in the gross summer months is only a good thing.

So, yeah, that's all good.

BUT ... and you knew there would be one, right? ... is the fact these kinds of things can be overplayed.

TDO hasn't changed, largely.

And let's look at the reality of what is happening and take the emotion and pxie dust away.

MSEP is an old parade ... very old ... it was tweaked slightly last year at DCA for its Summer Nightastic campaign. It already has made one return well over a decade ago. This isn't the same as a new parade at all. Check out both TDL and UNI-Japan to see what you can do with night parades.

MMM is a GREAT pyro show. While I never paid for the hard-ticket party it came with, I saw the show multiple times and it really is great. So much better than Wishes. And, for most folks, this might as well be new. I'll even give them that one. Great move, albeit copying what DL has been doing.

ToT is one of Disney's best attractions in FLA. It's also easily (and inexpensively) reprogrammed. Nice to see, but nothing that hasn't already been done at least four times since 1994.

Extending DAK's hours is terrific. Hopefully, they'll reconsider Rivers of Light now. It's a sin that most guests never see the place at night with the incredible atmosphere and lighting package.

So ... if all that's good then what's the problem?

Simple.

The positive aspects will inevitably be blown way out of proportion by a fanboi crowd that largely is bored with WDW, yet won't say it. They'll rally that this is some kind of legit way of combating the WWoHP, which it isn't.

I have only skimmed the thread (because as expected there are already a crapload of posts) but I've already seen the 'tude.

It's not that these aren't positive moves because I believe they are. It's just they are very late ... and they don't compare to major additions and such.

When you see the smallest Disney resort in the world put on major new seasonal events all the time (Chinese New Year's right now), it puts into perspective what Disney is or isn't doing in O-Town.

I'm more interested in what aspects of NEXTGEN are being released and whether they are giving tours of the lab.

Anyway, flame away bois!

WDW1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmagic
I'm not one of these Disney site owners with a massive ego - so I'll happily admit I'm wrong come June if it isn't MM&M.

:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

I wonder who that might be?

Me too. Who could he be speaking of?

Expo_Seeker40

*hold 1970s plastic orange bird* there's nothing to flame....the only thing I'm personally interested in seeing is the MSEP....it's not like we're getting a new fireworks show.....and if they do a new stage show and afternoon parade for the 40th.....well......great and *yawn* because they've done that with other celebrations too.....and you sure and heck know the mirror castle float will still be around because all TDO has to do is slap a new banner on the float.

TDO wants it's fanboys and sweatshirtmoms to stay very close to the vacation kingdom this summer....Mouse have mercy is they head over to harry potter....I expect a plethora of summer nightastic merch and retro main street usa merch......the new toad figure coming out for me is just a hint of things to keep fanboys and sweatshirters happy in 2011 when legoland opens to attract people back down to cypress gardens.

Exprcoofto

Why did I know what the typical reaction would be?

I am drowning in fanboi foam.

It's very tough to put my thoughts down because my initial reaction is that what has been announced is very good news.

I love the MSEP. Don't care much for Spectro.

I love MMM, which I have been told is the show that's coming (and which some Spirit has suggested would be a great replacement for the syrupy Wishes) and don't feel the love of moppets singing in Wishes.

I love ToT and anything done to plus it can only be a good thing.

DAK is such an amazing park and expanding its hours in the gross summer months is only a good thing.

So, yeah, that's all good.

BUT ... and you knew there would be one, right? ... is the fact these kinds of things can be overplayed.

TDO hasn't changed, largely.

And let's look at the reality of what is happening and take the emotion and pxie dust away.

MSEP is an old parade ... very old ... it was tweaked slightly last year at DCA for its Summer Nightastic campaign. It already has made one return well over a decade ago. This isn't the same as a new parade at all. Check out both TDL and UNI-Japan to see what you can do with night parades.

MMM is a GREAT pyro show. While I never paid for the hard-ticket party it came with, I saw the show multiple times and it really is great. So much better than Wishes. And, for most folks, this might as well be new. I'll even give them that one. Great move, albeit copying what DL has been doing.

ToT is one of Disney's best attractions in FLA. It's also easily (and inexpensively) reprogrammed. Nice to see, but nothing that hasn't already been done at least four times since 1994.

Extending DAK's hours is terrific. Hopefully, they'll reconsider Rivers of Light now. It's a sin that most guests never see the place at night with the incredible atmosphere and lighting package.

So ... if all that's good then what's the problem?

Simple.

The positive aspects will inevitably be blown way out of proportion by a fanboi crowd that largely is bored with WDW, yet won't say it. They'll rally that this is some kind of legit way of combating the WWoHP, which it isn't.

I have only skimmed the thread (because as expected there are already a crapload of posts) but I've already seen the 'tude.

It's not that these aren't positive moves because I believe they are. It's just they are very late ... and they don't compare to major additions and such.

When you see the smallest Disney resort in the world put on major new seasonal events all the time (Chinese New Year's right now), it puts into perspective what Disney is or isn't doing in O-Town.

I'm more interested in what aspects of NEXTGEN are being released and whether they are giving tours of the lab.

Anyway, flame away bois!

There isn't really anything to flame about. Your post was dead on.

tirian

Anyway, flame away bois!

Your entire post is true, but I pulled out these four parts because they also support my view.

No, Nightastic is not a strong way to combat Harry Potter, and it's something that should have happened years ago. Normal (non-fanboy) Guests won't see this as competition to Potter World. But it's still great to see that Disney is spending unnecessary money to do an unnecessary promotion at their cash cow. As several of us have said, this is how WDW was for over twenty years; it's the latest generation of fans that don't know better. Even though I don't believe TDO has changed its MO, I'm happy to see that somebody in some level of leadership decided WDW needed an old-fashioned seasonal enhancement.

WDW1974

I hope the MSEP stays longer than just summertime. I wouldn't mind seeing this become a "temporary" addition for a few years.

I don't. And I LOVE MSEP.

Disney isn't supposed to be about nostalgia for old attractions and parades.

Is it really that tough to create something new and exciting?

On another subject, I wonder what this means for Anaheim.

The 55th Anniversary parade was supposedly killed, MSEP was rumored to be headed over there. Clearly, that isn't happening.

Is the 55th largely going to be WoC at DCA (which is nine, not 55)?

sponono88

These are things they SHOULD be doing. I don't know if we're used to being treated badly that once they announce something, anything, we freak out and say TDO is spending tons of money.

I'm not asking for Beastly Kingdome here, nor am I demanding Horizons 2.0, a new JII, or whatever else was rumored. But statements like mickeysaver and others have been posting are confusing to me. We're getting an already developed fireworks show, some new effects in a ride that's been easily updated, some longer park hours in the summer (which always happens), and an updated parade that bounces park to park.

TDO didn't descend from the heavens, giving us life, water, and admission. They gave us what they should have been doing all along.

But maybe I'm just cranky from seeing DLR get all this new "stuff" under less pomp and circumstance.

I can't say I agree with you completely. Nightastic is a great summer event and there's a lot to be excited for. However, I'm not too sure about the lineup they have planned so far. With the RoE tag no longer in the mix, the lineup seems a bit weak compared to the new stuff DL received last year.

All in all this should be a very popular event for WDW, MSEP will be great. Here's hoping they announce more things at a later date, like the blog said. For those who don't know about Summer Nightastic, it is a summer promo that ran at DL last year. Here is the thread from last year, from the DL section of WDWMagic: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=433048

I don't. And I LOVE MSEP.

Disney isn't supposed to be about nostalgia for old attractions and parades.

Is it really that tough to create something new and exciting?

On another subject, I wonder what this means for Anaheim.

The 55th Anniversary parade was supposedly killed, MSEP was rumored to be headed over there. Clearly, that isn't happening.

Is the 55th largely going to be WoC at DCA (which is nine, not 55)?

Good question. With this year being DL's 55th b-day, it's weird that nothing has been announced yet. I guess the main focus for the resort will fall entirely on the opening of World of Color.

Animaniac93-98

I'm hoping MM&M (if returning) will stay beyond the Nightastic run and that the increase to AK park hours will be permanent.

And if they want this fanboi* to stop thinking about Potter, making the 2 new additions to MSEP new versions of the TRON and Return to Oz segments will do it!

*Don't really wear the sweatshirts anymore. They don't fit me and I don't want to get new ones.

WDW1974

Your entire post is true, but I pulled out these four parts because they also support my view.

Take all the support you want!:)

No, Nightastic is not a strong way to combat Harry Potter, and it's something that should have happened years ago. Normal (non-fanboy) Guests won't see this as competition to Potter World. But it's still great to see that Disney is spending unnecessary money to do an unnecessary promotion at their cash cow. As several of us have said, this is how WDW was for over twenty years; it's the latest generation of fans that don't know better. Even though I don't believe TDO has changed its MO, I'm happy to see that somebody in some level of leadership decided WDW needed an old-fashioned seasonal enhancement.

The question is how unnecessary is the capital being spent?

I don't for a second believe Disney isn't very concerned about Potter. And while I don't believe this is any sort of real response (hell, I don't believe the F-land project is, but still very glad it is happening), TDO isn't run by the smartest of folks. And nothing beats Disney marketing (watching the $99 FLA resident commercial as I type this!) ... so I believe there are some people at high levels that actually think such small scale things will convince people to stay away.

'Course UNI has done nothing to show they can actually market their product widely to the masses unlike The Mouse ... the Super Bowl spot for Potter was underwhelming to say the least. They have the product, but seem incapable of marketing it. While Disney's product has been Walmarted for years, but the Mouse has marketing down to a science (just wait for those magical RFID bracelets!)

Lee

Adventurer
Obviously this is just a counter to Harry Potter at Universal.
:ROFLOL:
Hahahahhahahahhahaha....*gasp*...hahahahahahaha........no.:rolleyes:

This will in no way counter Potter. All this will be nice for the WDW guests, but it really won't generate many extra turnstile clicks. (Hmmmm...kinda like the Fantasyland expansion....)

New fireworks. Cool. Never seen the MMM fireworks, so that's something to look forward to, I guess.
MSEP? Seen it so many times it's hard to get overly excited.
ToT? Yes, please. Very welcome and very overdue.
Night at AK? About time.

WDW1974

They told us in our video interview, the fireworks will be a completely new show which has yet to have been titled. :wave:

That's a bit worrisome. Who is 'they'?

I had heard what Steve had (albeit as a possibility, not a 'happening').

I'd hate to think they're going to just throw out a cheaper show because MMM really is spectacular.

mpaul32001

That's a bit worrisome. Who is 'they'?

I had heard what Steve had (albeit as a possibility, not a 'happening').

I'd hate to think they're going to just throw out a cheaper show because MMM really is spectacular.

Her name was Carrie. No idea what her role is, but she was the go to woman for Summer Nightastic questions.

IlikeDW

We're getting a new fireworks show, an updated old parade, longer park hours (we needed a press conference for this), and an update to an attraction that's so easy to update they've done it 4 times before without closing it.

This is underwhelming.

Take your ball and go home

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom