Mrs. Potts' Cupboard gets new 'Fantasy Forest' look with thatched roof and more

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Sorry the clock tower is gone (big fan of clock towers), but, hey, Irish person here--big fan of thatched roofs!!!

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I'm in a weird place with this. I like the thatching. What I'm not a huge fan of is the sort of cartoony look it has going on. The roof angles are going every which way and that bothers me. Maybe it is just a matter of personal taste, but things that aren't perpendicular often annoy me. :shrug:

HMF

200px-TikiRoom.JPG

I am sorry but this is too good to ignore.
http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/2008/03/no-one-approaches-our-classic.html

FullJr

This does not quite look right now. But maybe later. I personally like my roofs like that in adventure land. One of the main reasons it does not look right yet, is lack of this type of theming in this one area, hopefully to come with the FLE. I hope they will change to a different name, doesn't look right with ms. potts having a thatched roof. I hope she will be able to open a better shop in the BatB area opening in the FLE.

BrerFrog

It looks pretty awesome, but I don't know which looks is my favorite.

Does that mean all the other FL facades will be refurbished to look like that, or at least the ones that are more distant from the Castle Walls?

jtizzle1023

i like it... still not 100% on the expansion... well i mean i love the idea but not thrilled on the worlds greatest meet-n-greet :ROFLOL:

hazelrah

I like the look individually, though to be honest it's more because the building now has a rounded, friendlier shape without the clock tower. I do think it looks very out of placed sandwiched between the medieval Pooh facade and the Bavarian facade of the Friar's Nook.

EPCOT Explorer

I like the look individually, though to be honest it's more because the building now has a rounded, friendlier shape without the clock tower. I do think it looks very out of placed sandwiched between the medieval Pooh facade and the Bavarian facade of the Friar's Nook.

Strong evidence for Pooh changing, I guess. :D

NewfieFan

I'm in a weird place with this. I like the thatching. What I'm not a huge fan of is the sort of cartoony look it has going on. The roof angles are going every which way and that bothers me. Maybe it is just a matter of personal taste, but things that aren't perpendicular often annoy me. :shrug:

I kind of like cartoony! I think this will be more magical, whimsical, an area that could convince you (when it's all finished, of course)!

jt04

Definitely. And there will be a dividing line with the new castle walls to help that areas transition. I still think 20K was thrown in way back when and the current FLE plan is much closer to the original plan for the MK.

Someone was supposed to ask Imagineering at the D23 convention but I guess they chickened out.

Hobnail Boot

That's what I'm thinking. The Pooh stories are from the UK, and this new roof reminds me the thatched roof on a building in the UK at Epcot (sorry, I forget the name of the place). Maybe they're trying to have a better transition between attractions in the new FL.

Personally, I like it and I don't. I like that it looks new and refreshed and it reminds me of a facade near Alice at DL, but it's an abrupt change from the Friar's. Hopefully whatever they do in the future to Pooh changes this.

Next Big Thing

I love the thatched roof look, but I don't like that in that picture, on the right corner you can still see tile. It that tile section part Mrs. Potts and they haven't done? It is just bothering me in that picture one side is thatched and the other is not.

voodoo321

The louvered vents? That's the first thing I noticed. They ruin the theme, no matter if the thatch looks better or not. That is the problem and I'm very surprised that no one else has pointed it out.

TP2000

I just don't like thatched things. :shrug:

It's a British thing, and it themes well with British stories and places. Disneyland's Fantasyland has a British themed miniland with the Alice In Wonderland, Mad Tea Party and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride attractions all clustered around each other, with several thatched structures. I think it works.

The operator booth for the Mad Tea Party (teacups) ride has a thatched roof.
teacupsmadteaparty_wb.jpg

As well as the adjacent Mad Hatter hat shop.
2342890010039775224S500x500Q85.jpg

But the real question is... Mrs. Potts is in France in Beauty and the Beast. Do they have thatched roofs in France like they do in Britain? I've always thought of thatched roofs as a typically rural British design element. But maybe that's only because it's used frequently in Disneyland's British miniland area in Fantasyland? :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom