Mrs. Potts' Cupboard gets new 'Fantasy Forest' look with thatched roof and more

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

EPCOT Explorer

It's a British thing, and it themes well with British stories and places. Disneyland's Fantasyland has a British themed miniland with the Alice In Wonderland, Mad Tea Party and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride attractions all clustered around each other, with several thatched structures. I think it works.

The operator booth for the Mad Tea Party (teacups) ride has a thatched roof.
teacupsmadteaparty_wb.jpg

As well as the adjacent Mad Hatter hat shop.
2342890010039775224S500x500Q85.jpg

But the real question is... Mrs. Potts is in France in Beauty and the Beast. Do they have thatched roofs in France like they do in Britain? I've always thought of thatched roofs as a typically rural British design element. But maybe that's only because it's used frequently in Disneyland's British miniland area in Fantasyland? :confused:

I don't know why, but that looks much better. :lol: :shrug:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
It's probably because those roofs are angled properly to show off the thatching. While I am a fan of a thatched roof, the Mrs. Potts roof was not designed to show it off at its best, so it kinda looks like a toupee that was plopped down on a tiled roof. :lol:

MousDad

Okay, Tiggerish, thanks for making me realize why I don't like it. I was having trouble putting my finger on it, but I realize now why. It's not a uniform design for the whole building. You have the bavarian/town bottom with the English/rural top, and it just does not work for me. Looks forced.

EPCOT Explorer

It's probably because those roofs are angled properly to show off the thatching. While I am a fan of a thatched roof, the Mrs. Potts roof was not designed to show it off at its best, so it kinda looks like a toupee that was plopped down on a tiled roof. :lol:

Ahhhh....:lol: I see it too, now.

herc

So will the name be changed to something else since the Beauty and the Beast "area" is not around there?
It is next to the Pooh attraction and seems to be on the other side of the castle wall and across from either Cinderella's Chateau or Aurora's area.

MadHatterJr

I'm fine with it if it fits with the new design elements... but I don't like the air conditioning vent looking window thing they have there. Could have done better with that.

Jason Prefers Curtains

meganw1985

Thatched roofs must just be a matter of taste. I love them!!! :lol:I think it really adds a lot more whimsy, and fantasy, to the buildings. Regular roofs are just...regular. I do see how it kind of sticks out and doesn't match now though...hopefully they will do some changing to other areas. It reminds me of very....Snow White-ish or something....maybe Sleeping Beauty...not sure. Love it!

If it does get a re-naming, I hope that it is something Snow White related since little Miss White and her 7 little friends kinda got screwed over with the expansion. Maybe something like, Dwarves Mine Snack Shack or something silly like that. (Yes I realive how cheesy that sounds lol)

benji

The roof looks like something that should of been put into Adventureland or Animal Kingdom. It seems weird now but when Fantasyland is complete I'm sure it will all make sense.

NASAMan

I like it. Softer and more magical. Though a clock tower is almost always better than no clock tower, in this case it's nice.

New look is great! Will loom nice in FF.

I also noticed the click tower is gone. Always looked awkward.

Sorry the clock tower is gone (big fan of clock towers), but, hey, Irish person here--big fan of thatched roofs!!!

Yeah, it was the first thing I noticed, but then I remembered you are still within sight distance (and hearing distance) of the clock tower at Pinocchio's Village Haus.

Pooh should be re-themed, as the plans (which will probably be change many times) show a new queue that extends out to where the photo kiosk is located across from the Teacups.
NewPooh.jpg

I do think we will point back to this as the first of the new Fantasy Forest. Inside the 'castle wall' will be brick and mortar, outside will be wood and thatch. So huzzah for Mrs. Potts! Bring us more!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I do think we will point back to this as the first of the new Fantasy Forest. Inside the 'castle wall' will be brick and mortar, outside will be wood and thatch. So huzzah for Mrs. Potts! Bring us more!

I think you're exactly right about this. :wave:

EPCOT Explorer

Yeah, it was the first thing I noticed, but then I remembered you are still within sight distance (and hearing distance) of the clock tower at Pinocchio's Village Haus.

Pooh should be re-themed, as the plans (which will probably be change many times) show a new queue that extends out to where the photo kiosk is located across from the Teacups.
NewPooh.jpg

I wish the track would come out that far for some kinetics.

techiegsy

I like thatch but not this thatch, as others have said the building was not designed for it an consequently it looks odd, if they change the front it may be OK?

Yay, kinetics, although its not so much that area that I feel is lacking at the moment...

TP2000

It works well for the Pooh ride at Disneyland. Many times I've heard people walk past the covered bridge leading to the Pooh queue, and then they see the beehives gliding around on the outdoor track, and they say "OH! It's a ride! Let's go on that." :rolleyes:

Outdoor track portion at Disneyland's Winnie The Pooh ride
14-Winnie-the-Pooh-ride.jpg

You could do some themed coverings to protect it from the rain and climate in Florida.

Next Big Thing

It works well for the Pooh ride at Disneyland. Many times I've heard people walk past the covered bridge leading to the Pooh queue, and then they see the beehives gliding around on the outdoor track, and they say "OH! It's a ride! Let's go on that." :rolleyes:

You could do some themed coverings to protect it from the rain and climate in Florida.
From everything i've heard about it, that ride is terrible and ours is way better.

EPCOT Explorer

^ Is there a big difference?

Exactly where I got the idea from! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom