Most outrageous price?

Nemo14

We bring our own Brita bottles for water (a suggestion I got from the forums!), but I really don't think the prices are that outrageous. Drinks and popcorn cost more at our local movie theater, and it's not nearly the fun!

Yellow Shoes

This has been said before, so I can't take credit for the thought.

It's not so much that the prices are high compared to sports venues, other amusement parks, etc. If I decide to go to a baseball game (our Royals lost their 100th game last night!!), it is for an evening. I can eat at home, take a bag of Tootsie Rolls in with me, and be fine for the night.

Trips to WDW are more than half a day for most of us. While $40 for 4 burger & fry meals or $100 for a sit down is OK once, it gets outrageous by the 3rd or 4th day. It's not so much the prices as it is the cumulative effect of them.

On the other hand, I tend to think of it as Monopoly money when I'm in WDW--easy come; easy go.

But the prices of clothing are totally outrageous for quality that is so-so.

tink68

Pins

Hi! New to this site also and love it! I have to agree with the too high price on the pins. My daughter and I last year bought some and I am sure I will be buying some more in Oct. when I go back, but would love it if they would drop the price just a little.
P.S. I would love that PEPSI too and would gladly pay!

Thrawn

Account Suspended
tink68 said:
Hi! New to this site also and love it! I have to agree with the too high price on the pins. My daughter and I last year bought some and I am sure I will be buying some more in Oct. when I go back, but would love it if they would drop the price just a little.
P.S. I would love that PEPSI too and would gladly pay!

They won't be bringing Pepsi in, as they get all the Coke for free.

And welcome. :wave:

coln84

Yellow Shoes said:
This has been said before, so I can't take credit for the thought.

It's not so much that the prices are high compared to sports venues, other amusement parks, etc. If I decide to go to a baseball game (our Royals lost their 100th game last night!!), it is for an evening. I can eat at home, take a bag of Tootsie Rolls in with me, and be fine for the night.

Trips to WDW are more than half a day for most of us. While $40 for 4 burger & fry meals or $100 for a sit down is OK once, it gets outrageous by the 3rd or 4th day. It's not so much the prices as it is the cumulative effect of them.

On the other hand, I tend to think of it as Monopoly money when I'm in WDW--easy come; easy go.

But the prices of clothing are totally outrageous for quality that is so-so.

The food at disney is more expensive than places around it, if you rented a car, then go right outside property (in all directions) and you'll find several restuarants and grocery stores.

As for the merchandise, there are a few stores in the factory outlet malls that have older merchandise at much more reasonable prices. Or you can do what I do and go with a cast member and tons of cash. Thier discount really adds up.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Jekyll Baker said:
The great thing is though, there are PLENTY of water fountains around the parks that offer FREE water, and most of them have cold water. I refuse to buy bottled water anywhere.
AMEN to that! im a germaphob and ill suck some free water down before spending $2 a bottle. there are somethings that i cut back on so there is more money for other things......... beer. lol

Thrawn said:
They won't be bringing Pepsi in, as they get all the Coke for free.
good...... pepsi is terrible (in my humble taste buds opinion)

drjny

Thrawn said:
The most outrageous price for anything during a WDW vacation is, of course, the price of Disney's Magical Express. Free? Unbelievable!

Post 1500.

In an economic sense, the price is not free since the time it takes to get to your resort and the time to wait for your luggage costs money.

PigletIsMyCat

A couple of thoughts:

Just because Disney gets things in 'bulk discounts' doesn't mean they pass the savings on to us. They pay less and make more, ie: BUSINESS.

Ergh, I agree with Thrawn, Disney water tastes like cat ______ :hurl: DH and I GLADLY pay $2.50 for water at WDW.

And the priciest thing in WDW (IMHO) is....beer. DH likes a cold one now and again and last year at AKL it was $5.50 for a beer and they wouldn't let him buy more than one at a time. Of course, we didn't know they sold beer in the gift shop, or liquor for that matter. That would have made it a much more interesting vaca lol...
Er, someone said something about packing beer.... and bringing it with you.... is this really allowed by the airlines? And where do I pack it?

Loretta

PigletIsMyCat said:
A couple of thoughts:

Just because Disney gets things in 'bulk discounts' doesn't mean they pass the savings on to us. They pay less and make more, ie: BUSINESS.

Ergh, I agree with Thrawn, Disney water tastes like cat ______ :hurl: DH and I GLADLY pay $2.50 for water at WDW.

And the priciest thing in WDW (IMHO) is....beer. DH likes a cold one now and again and last year at AKL it was $5.50 for a beer and they wouldn't let him buy more than one at a time. Of course, we didn't know they sold beer in the gift shop, or liquor for that matter. That would have made it a much more interesting vaca lol...
Er, someone said something about packing beer.... and bringing it with you.... is this really allowed by the airlines? And where do I pack it?
Yes, we've been bringing our own water for awhile now, but last year we started taking beer also. My husband only drinks one can a day so I buy 6 cans of the 16oz.. As I said before I but them in zip lock bags and then pack them in one of our luggage. We check all our bags, and they did open it, but nothing was said. We have a friend that is a flight attentant and she said as long as it's checked in and not carried on there will no trouble. Saved us a lot of money. Now I wish I could get those Mississippi Mud Slides in a can. :slurp:

Loretta

PigletIsMyCat

Ahh, I think they sell little four pack bottles of Mudslides at liquor store... I also know they sell mudslide mix by the bottle (TGI Friday's mix), just add your own liquor. And they are not bad, although I'm a wuss and I add extra chocolate syrup too :slurp:

Loretta

PigletIsMyCat said:
Ahh, I think they sell little four pack bottles of Mudslides at liquor store... I also know they sell mudslide mix by the bottle (TGI Friday's mix), just add your own liquor. And they are not bad, although I'm a wuss and I add extra chocolate syrup too :slurp:
I've tried that premixed mudslide in a bottle. Taste nothing like the mudslide you get in the lounge at POR. If you ever get there try one, expensive, but soooo worth it. Maybe it's the Mississippi part that's different. I think theirs are made with Baileys Cream. 8 more days and you'll find me in that lounge, very happy. :D

Loretta

listentotheland

i'd have to say without a doubt the most outrageous price is the new food court in the land, seasons. while there in june, for a sandwich, that wasnt even on real bread and it was something like 12 bucks. not only was the sandwich like chewing on a leather boot, it had no taste either. the old food court was so much better, though it might not have been as eye pleasing as the open air market feel they have now, the food and selection was deffinitly better.

i have to agree with previous posters, i think that im caparison to other forms of entertainment we go out looking for, disney is on par or cheaper then others, in terms of f&b. i use to be able to bbudget myself $35 a day for food at wdw. with my taste getting more expensive and infaltion, $40 still fills me up with some to spare everyday. ive used these prices since 2000 and i dont think that is so terrribly bad either.

Craig & Lisa

PigletIsMyCat said:
A couple of thoughts:

the britta travel bottle gets rid of the taste and smell instantly, plus that little filter can process almost 50 gallons of water, you can get them in any grocery store. been using our for a few years now, we change the filter before we leave and it lasts the whole trip

rhampson

Outrageous?

Any time I read a thread like this, I wonder how many of the posters have traveled abroad? I make around 1-2 trips of 7-14 days each, every year. $2.50 (equivalent currency exchange) usually buys a can of Pepsi or Coke that is smaller than a US 12 oz can. You have to buy the water you drink with your meal. A 1-liter bottle of water (sparkling or still) can run $7.50 or more. Gasoline cost is usually well over $6/gallon. A meal for 4 at a "good" restaurant will usually run $100-150, and portion sizes will be less than you would get at a typical diner in the States. I usually try to go to a market and buy sandwiches. Ham and cheese on a baguette seems to be universal, and costs about $4-5 if you buy in a store instead of a deli, lunch counter or restaurant.

The best example is England and Scotland, my usual destination. Prices that I have encountered are usually the same as in the U.S. except that they are in Pounds Sterling instead of Dollars. When you consider that the exchange for my last two trips (April and August) was $1.85-1.95 to 1 pound, you're easily paying double the Disney price.

Even in the U.S. it can be expensive -- check out Hawaii some time.

Dr.Rob

Rinxman

Pins are kind of expensive for what they are. $6.75 and $8.75 or something like that. It probably costs Disney like $2 to make each one.

inafog

Rinxman said:
Pins are kind of expensive for what they are. $6.75 and $8.75 or something like that. It probably costs Disney like $2 to make each one.

Also, the backs seem to fall off them all the time. On this last trip, I found two pins that someone had lost. One was a Mickey pin; my DD kept saying there was a hidden Mickey on her stroller wheel. When I finally looked down, there it was, stuck in the wheel. I also found one with Stitch on it one night at Epcot--walking along, kicked it and it jangled. I didn't find any owners but I turned them in. Though I doubt if anyone claimed them.

Solace17

PigletIsMyCat said:
DH and I GLADLY pay $2.50 for water at WDW.

Ever since I visited the DISboards and saw D in front of many other letters (H, D, S, etc.), I keep wondering what the heck it means. I'm assuming that DH means Disney Husband, DD Disney Daughter, etc. Am I right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom