Most Exciting Disneyland Attractions for Intellectuals

ParkPeeker

I think I've escaped this Poe's-law-of-a-thread's hold on my confused mind now, G dammt op
I thought this thread was going to be a joke but then I read the list and I realize it’s not. In all seriousness, I have many thoughts on the Pizza Planet terrace in the Space Mountain complex. You may get there before me but I’ll try to come back and write something up a little later.

.... nvm

180º

Very well, I’ll explain now.

The Space Mountain complex is an example of one of the first Disneyland expansions post-WDW. Another example is Country Bear Jamboree/Hungry Bear. Both are a little out of place in Disneyland, as they were built really large to handle big crowds easily. The result is, IMO, pretty successful. Space Mountain is a crazy busy attraction but the complex around it is pretty peaceful at most times of the day. It and Hungry Bear are far and away the best, if not the only places, where you can sit in peace for a while without feeling rushed, and they offer some interesting scenery. I love Space Mountain’s multiple levels with the Magic Eye queue, entrance ramp, Space Mountain queue walkway rising gradually and dotted with planters. On the other sides are dramatic, steel-clad 60° angled walls. It’s weirdly un-Disneyland in scale but it turns something potentially chaotic onto something very aesthetically pleasing. (For the record, I’m also not one of the people complaining about Star Wars’ large scale. I think it feels great. I just think Star Wars takes up too much land.)

Last edited:

socalifornian

Me: Looks at the spelling...

Then goes digging for a gif of Steve Martin laughing hysterically at a newspaper in Roxanne...

Comes up empty. Decides to describe gif rather than use an inferior option. Says to self, “I gotta learn how to make my own gifs!”
This?
0E925694-B429-42B0-BD91-B7A06A5232EF.gif

ParkPeeker

Very well, I’ll explain now.

The Space Mountain complex is an example of one of the first Disneyland expansions post-WDW. Another example is Country Bear Jamboree/Hungry Bear. Both are a little out of place in Disneyland, as they were built really large to handle big crowds easily. The result is, IMO, pretty successful. Space Mountain is a crazy busy attraction but the complex around it is pretty peaceful at most times of the day. It and Hungry Bear are far and away the best, of not the only places, where you can sit in peace for a while without feeling rushed, and they offer some interesting scenery. I love Space Mountain’s multiple levels with the Magic Eye queue, entrance ramp, Space Mountain queue walkway rising gradually and dotted with planters. On the other sides are dramatic, steel-clad 60° angled walls. It’s weirdly un-Disneyland in scale but it turns something potentially chaotic onto something very aesthetically pleasing. (For the record, I’m also not one of the people complaining about Star Wars’ large scale. I think it feels great. I just think Star Wars takes up too much land.)
I didn't doubt the genuineness of your post, it just made me reconsider op's whole thread again. I've been switching back and forth. But I've come to a conclusion that op is mostly serious and partly joking throughout (or maybe partly half-joking 🤔)

Anyways thanks for that explanation, it was wonderfull!

TROR

Original Poster
I didn't doubt the genuineness of your post, it just made me reconsider op's whole thread again. I've been switching back and forth. But I've come to a conclusion that op is mostly serious and partly joking throughout (or maybe partly half-joking 🤔)

Anyways thanks for that explanation, it was wonderfull!

This is my posting style in general.

planodisney

I have a hard time believing someone who finds museums and documentaries boring to be intellectual. If someone’s a thrill seeker, that means they get enjoyment from physical, not mental, activity.

It’s one of the struggles of posting on my phone.
But not every intellectual enjoys the same kind of museums and documentaries.
Many of the most intelligent/intellectual people I know consider even going to a theme park in the first place superficial entertainment.
I enjoy traveling and seeing North America, the world, but I also LOVE theme parks. But when I’m there, it’s not my intellectual side I’m looking to stimulate.
My next door neighbors, he’s a psychiatrist and she’s an accountant, are extremely intelligent, intellectual, well read......... They will NEVER go to
Disney. The thought of it makes them cringe. So we’ve offered to take their kids with us who are friends with our kids.
Anyway, great topic!!! 👍

Figments Friend

Great spots intellectuals go to escape the crowds, or when they want to relax at Disneyland Park and have some space all to themselves -

Main Street Cinema.

Upper level of the Main Street Train Station ( obviously NOT during parades / firework times! )

Any of the Disneyland Railroad trains ( last car, middle area, extreme left seat for maximum peace )

The 'back porch' at the Palm Parlor on Main Street.

Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough handicapped access room ( sit in a royal throne! )

Upper deck of the Mark Twain riverboat, inside seating area. ( comfy padded seats! )

Sailing Ship Columbia, lower deck with period quarters display.

Tom Sawyer Island, walking paths towards back as well as seats located near Maleficent's 'dragon pit'.

Hungry Bear Resturant upper level, extreme back balcony seating area. ( beautiful views of the RoA and TSI )

Enchanted Tiki Room / pre-show Enchanted Garden. ( Dole Whip a must to enhance experience )

New Orleans Square - low wall in landscaped area to the right of Train Station. ( between station and the Haunted Mansion )

Le Salon Nouveau at Club 33. ( exquisite ambiance and relaxation, for the true intellectual )

Space Mountain complex seating area at the Attractions' exit.

Toontown 'Park' area around the Roger Rabbit water fountain. ( avoid 'Toon Park' as its a toddler crash area )

Tarzan's Treehouse before Park Closing ( great views of the Park..especially at sunset ).

Indiana Jones Adventure exit tunnel / exit area ( even has a drinking fountain handy! )

Pathway that runs between Story Book Canel Boats and the Fantasyland Theater.

Standing by the large 'volcanic' rock structures almost opposite to where the entrance is to the Submarine Voyage.

Small tables located by windows in tucked away corners of Pinocchio's Village Haus....er, I mean Red Rose Tavern.

Tomorrowland Monorail Station, upper level platform overlooking the Subs.

:)

-

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Lincoln is such a bore. Last time I was in there, I was with 10 other people. If they put in a gift shop in that place I wouldn't blink....finally a reason to go back in fact. (Hope I don't get TROR's blood level up to high ;)).

I'm with you. I can't imagine anyone besides the most passionate Disney fan going to a Disney theme park in this day and age to watch a robotic President Lincoln deliver a speech. The Lincoln show is at least 20 years past its prime.

TROR

Original Poster
I'm with you. I can't imagine anyone besides the most passionate Disney fan going to a Disney theme park in this day and age to watch a robotic President Lincoln deliver a speech. The Lincoln show is at least 20 years past its prime.
I’m not a passionate Disney fan, I’m a passionate American historian. But anyone who lives in the United States should love that show.

ParkPeeker

consider even going to a theme park in the first place superficial entertainment.
I enjoy traveling and seeing North America, the world, but I also LOVE theme parks. But when I’m there, it’s not my intellectual side I’m looking to stimulate.
My next door neighbors, he’s a psychiatrist and she’s an accountant, are extremely intelligent, intellectual, well read......... They will NEVER go to
Disney.
Damn. I feel like traveling and theme parks aren't too different, you don't ever have to think too much to get enjoyment from them in the moment. Disney is superficial in how it's built, but the feelings one gets from being there, I don't think are. I classify stimulation and having that good feeling in the moment as more natural.

To me, the more mentally involved a form of entertainment is, the more 'superficial.' Not that enjoying something that involves you heavily using your mind is a bad thing. Just that I feel it's far more removed or abstracted from natural enjoyment than having fun at Disney is.

PB Watermelon

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride is a contemplation on the meaning of existence and the possibility of a vengeful God.

Oh, wait....sorry...that's enduring a line for anything related to Frozen.

TROR

Original Poster
*are not

(Hey, if you want to play on the intellectual thread...)

😉

Disney is so highbrow. I often have a hard time deciding between Haunted Mansion or the opera.
Reminder that Walt Disney made Fantasia with the intention of it being an event people would go dressed up to the theater just as if it were an opera. We need to bring that mentality to Disneyland; no more shorts and tees, only full suits and gowns.

TROR

Original Poster
Most of the intellectual or thinking attractions are at WDW, that being said I agree with Mr Lincoln and main St USA ,
Intellectual attractions at WDW? Besides Hall of Presidents and Americans Adventure, what’s really left?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom