Most Annoying Cliche

Maria

barnum42 said:
I like your way of thinking ;) :lol:

hehe... I guess only non native English speakers think that way - lol
Same goes with "a*hole". Instead of getting offended, I would laugh if someone said that to me in my language! It would be a very childish insult. haha ;)

Woody13

Maria said:
hehe... I guess only non native English speakers think that way - lol
Same goes with "a*hole". Instead of getting offended, I would laugh if someone said that to me in my language! It would be a very childish insult. haha ;)
However, there is not really a direct translation available. It's a cultural difference.

*Note to self, forget all those offensive Spanish cuss words.*

DDuckFan130

Woody13 said:
However, there is not really a direct translation available. It's a cultural difference.

*Note to self, forget all those offensive Spanish cuss words.*
Why would you want to forget them :lol:? Cuss words are so much more fun in español :lookaroun. Especially when you get into different countries. My family is mostly Nicaraguan but I have some Cuban family and some cuss words for them are not cuss words for us and vice versa. You can be stepping on people's toes and not know it :lol:.

Foolish Mortal

Wait till next year - I'm a Philly sports fan, it's been 20 years since we had a parade. Multiply 4 sports teams by 20 years and i've had enough of "wait till next year".

Guess what ?? - What, you've grown another appendage ? You were the "other" Kennedy gunmen ? This could be a billion answer's. This question shouldn't be used unless preceded by "speaking of which"

Last call - Say's who ?? O.k, it's not a cliche but I still hate hearing it. :cry:

stranger

DDuckFan130 said:
Why would you want to forget them :lol:? Cuss words are so much more fun in español :lookaroun. Especially when you get into different countries. My family is mostly Nicaraguan but I have some Cuban family and some cuss words for them are not cuss words for us and vice versa. You can be stepping on people's toes and not know it :lol:.

Or you can be saying something completely dirty and not even realize it. Done it a lot. For instance, concha in Mexico is a certain kind of dessert bread (pan dulce) or a seashell. Talk to someone from Argentina, it's something completely different :lol: (British version of - Barnum, you should get it :lol: )

DDuckFan130

stranger said:
Or you can be saying something completely dirty and not even realize it. Done it a lot. For instance, concha in Mexico is a certain kind of dessert bread (pan dulce) or a seashell. Talk to someone from Argentina, it's something completely different :lol: (British version of - Barnum, you should get it :lol: )
Exactly! Concha I know it as a seashell and as one of my grandmother's nicknames :lol: (her name is Concepcion). I've heard "conchale" as a "Dammit" kind of thing.

Carajo isn't a bad word for us, but my mom told me it's a bad word for Cubans and I think...Mexicans...I'm not sure though. Maybe you and Maria can confirm that for me :lol: and if it is, sorry :lol:.

End thread drift :rolleyes:.

Maria

Yes, 'carajo' is a bad word here. Concha isn´t, but it is in Cuba and Argentina, same thing with 'papaya' in Cuba and 'cajeta' (dulce de leche) in Argentina. ;)

stranger

Maria said:
Yes, 'carajo' is a bad word here. Concha isn´t, but it is in Cuba and Argentina, same thing with 'papaya' in Cuba and 'cajeta' (dulce de leche) in Argentina. ;)

I found a dictionary for some of these terms. It's very educational :lol:

Edit: link not working

stranger

TAC said:
Or, "Who's my babies daddies?"

That just reminded me of Fox's new reality show, "Who's your daddy." An adopted girl has to figure out which man (out of 8 contestants) is her biological father. If she picks her real father, she wins $100,000...if she chooses incorrectly she receives nothing. :rolleyes: What will Fox think of next? :hammer:

cherrynegra

stranger said:
What will Fox think of next? :hammer:

I think a better question is What haven't they thought of next? Every time I think they couldn't possibly get any lower, they wind up surprising me.
:lol:

WDWKat26

barnum42 said:
Touch Base - Used by annoying A-hole sales people.

OMIGOD My Guidance Counselor in 8th grade used this phrase like it was going out of style. She would constantly go "We'll touch base" and I would be like "What base?" I never got it hehe

LoriMistress

Static-X said:
I was just letting some woman who just HAD to take a picture of ToT from under the covered queue that the line was moving. Her, her meathead boyfriend, his twin brother and his g/f all told me to shut up. :confused: I tried being civil with all 4 of them, but they wouldn't let up. I was wearing a Metallica T-shirt at the time and when they were going up the ramp on the side of the building, they were looking for me. again :veryconfu Here is what the meatheads said "You like Metallica. Lets us know how tough you are." Apparantly they have never been in a pit at a rock concert before :D I have had my ______ kicked in a pit but held my own when I am properly motivated. :D :D "We'll meet you outside." We already were outside... Then inside, I just had to have a preshow with these rags. "Hope you like your job at Wal*Mart." What the hell??? 1 I dont work at Wal*Mart and never will. But what the hell did that have to do with anything?????? :veryconfu :veryconfu They were on the 4th train before me. I was just waiting to see if they were gonna be true to their words (another cliche?) or would they be full of hot air after I got off. They weren't around after that. I told one of the CM's at the loading station about it, because it spilled over there. He understood and let me ride up front. :sohappy: Was an interesting day. After that, I was a volunteer at the backlot tour on the ship with some soldiers home from Iraq. Both were caught in a suicide bomb. Told them I think they are heros and thanked them for putting their lives on the line. So the whole backlot (besides seeing the Flight of the Navigator ship RUINED!!!!!!!!!) balanced the whole episode at RnRC. :sohappy:
They were just mad because they were Dave Mustang fans. :king:

LoriMistress

It's not really a cliche, but I get extremely annoyed when people will use a word incorrectly. And I'm not talking about something minor like using the context then instead of than. These are people who take the meaning of the word and use it in a completely different context onto itself. I'll use several examples to prove my point:

literally: Sports announcers does this constantly. "He literally ripped his arms off!" Or when someone is telling a story and they use the word incorrectly," I was hanging out with Derek at Logan's Bar. Derek had a couple of beers and was doing this dance to the song Play That Funky Music White Boy and it was so funny that I literally peed my pants!" And when you ask what they did with their wet pants from when they ed themselves, the person acts shocks and says, "No,l I didn't really ________ my pants, I literally ed my pants, man."

I find it annoying when people talk in third person. I'm sure most of you would agree with me if I had this ego complex by writing on a daily basis:

Lori went WDW before. Lori went to WDW during her Honeymoon last year. Lori misses WDW and she wishes that she can go again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom