Most Annoying Cliche

speck76

Tramp said:
...also, the misuse of the word, "HERO," drives me nuts. If everyone is a hero, being a hero has no value. Can we no longer recognize the difference between the “ordinary” and the “extraordinary,” the sine qua non of heroism? :veryconfu

No kidding....people die and they are immediately heros.......no.....they are unfortunate, but unless they died doing something heroic, they are not heros.

castlecake2.0

I have a friend in scholl who moved up here from the states, and she constanly says 'shut up' but not to mean stop talking, but instead of saying cool or wicked. Its the most annoying thing ever, shes the only person I know that does it.

Also when people refer to thimgs as 'sick' meaning cool or neat. when i was in elementry school 'sick' meant gross or disgusting but apparently not anymore.

however i have to agree the worst is "my bad" :fork: :fork: its called 'sorry'

ty :king:

tigger248

I hate when people misuse the word "who". Like at my old job at Six Flags. I worked in season pass processing where tube upgrades were an option. So, I'd ask "Would you like a tube upgrade?" and I would often get a response like "A who?" No, it's not who, it's what. "Who" refers to a person, "what" refers to an object like an inner tube.

I also worked with a guy last summer who overused "definitely", which in turn rubbed off on me. Or, the people I've worked with who would refer to a large amount of something as being "8 or 80 million". I've found myself using both of those phrases/words too often. I'm also guilty of misusing the word "like". I'm getting better, but I think it's still there. It's funny because for years I never realized I did it until someone pointed it out. Now that I'm aware of it, it annoys the crap out of me because I'm trying to stop.

Captain Hank

What about when newscasters are interviewing sports players either before (either team) or after (the losing team) the game? They all say the same thing! It's always something to the effect of "We've gotta keep our heads in the game," with a few uses of the word "perservere" thrown in for good measure (< another cliche I don't like). Also, any phrase that comes out of a sportscaster's mouth makes me hate my life.

I also have a personal vendetta against the phrase "Make it a great day, or not, the choice is yours." This was said every morning of my middle school life by the principal during the morning announcements. Sometimes bad things happen beyond our control and it isn't a "great day," so how have we made a choice?

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
speck76 said:
followed right by "born again virgin"

Can't say I've ever heard that one. "Born again" I hear constantly as I'm from a religious family and all. Does "born again virigin" have religious roots as well? :confused:

Kadee

I agree with most of these. However, there is one BIG one that drives me nuts every time I hear it. My dad has started saying this along with most people here in Alabama. ...... When someone is telling you something or describing something, they will follow with, "You know what I'm sayin'?" OF COURSE I know what you are saying!!! I speak ENGLISH, too, don't I????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And they don't just say it once; it is after EVERY sentence!

speck76

Dizknee_Phreek said:
Can't say I've ever heard that one. "Born again" I hear constantly as I'm from a religious family and all. Does "born again virigin" have religious roots as well? :confused:

A "born again virgin" is someone who whores around for a long time and then decides to take on celibacy.

Typically, they become very vocal against whoring around.....kind of a "do as I do now (but don't look at my past" thing.

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
speck76 said:
A "born again virgin" is someone who whores around for a long time and then decides to take on celibacy.

Typically, they become very vocal against whoring around.....kind of a "do as I do now (but don't look at my past" thing.

Oooohhh, ok. Thanks for the explination. Someone saying that would probably get on my nerves as well.

I just thought of another one. I don't think I've posted this one before...if I have, forgive me. I hear this one constantly now (thanks to the friggin Blue Comedy Tour), and last night I saw it on the back of a pick-up truck - "Git 'er dun." I hate that saying with every fiber of my being!! :fork:

speck76

Dizknee_Phreek said:
I just thought of another one. I don't think I've posted this one before...if I have, forgive me. I hear this one constantly now (thanks to the friggin Blue Comedy Tour), and last night I saw it on the back of a pick-up truck - "Git 'er dun." I hate that saying with every fiber of my being!! :fork:

Me too....

TAC

hcwalker16 said:
What about when newscasters are interviewing sports players either before (either team) or after (the losing team) the game? They all say the same thing! It's always something to the effect of "We've gotta keep our heads in the game," with a few uses of the word "perservere" thrown in for good measure (< another cliche I don't like). Also, any phrase that comes out of a sportscaster's mouth makes me hate my life.

Remember about 10 years ago, the then coach of the NY Jets, Rich Kotite (sp?) said after one Jets loss: "They (the players) left it in the locker room."

[Errrr...what did they leave in the locker room?]

Or anter another loss, when it was raining during the game, "I couldn't read my play sheet (apparently it got smeared during the game)."

[Errr..isn't that why most coaches use a mylar sheet, with a wax pencil?]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom