News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Empty spot containing a significant portion of the total enclosed park. They've rectified it with a dynamic water feature that also will be used for whatever shows will be held at night. Moving the obligatory fountain out into the lake instead of the prior location of the middle of the walkway was good. Echo lake is just a puddle.

Complain all you want, but you're not going to see "Stargate with Tacos" going away anytime soon.

UNCgolf

Empty spot containing a significant portion of the total enclosed park. They've rectified it with a dynamic water feature that also will be used for whatever shows will be held at night. Moving the obligatory fountain out into the lake instead of the prior location of the middle of the walkway was good. Echo lake is just a puddle.

Complain all you want, but you're not going to see "Stargate with Tacos" going away anytime soon.

You're describing why Harmonious is such a disaster. It could be the greatest night time show in history and it would still be a net negative for the park because of how much it screws up the lake.

Also, EPCOT has a ton of unutilized attraction space as-is. Why do you think it would be different if the lake didn't exist? If they won't even use the empty space they already have, why in the world would it be a good idea to add a bunch more of it?

And I assume you are also advocating for the destruction of the Rivers of America at Magic Kingdom? That's also wasted space that takes up a significant portion of the park without any attractions unless you're claiming the steamboat is an attraction -- but in that case there are boats you can ride across the EPCOT lake, so it also has an attraction.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I know it wasn't an alcove; you missed my point.

I said they could have changed it and made it look like an alcove without putting the door on it. That would look better than it does with the door; the door attracts attention.
I think it actually was an alcove, or rather the exterior manifestation of one. More than a fireplace (it has no chimney), it reminded me of the outside of a mihrab, or prayer niche, as seen on the exterior of this mosque in the Moroccan town of Essaouira:

mosque_Jbala.jpg

It's a shame they had to modify it, but understandable in light of people's puerile responses to it.

UNCgolf

I think it actually was an alcove, or rather the exterior manifestation of one. More than a fireplace (it has no chimney), it reminded me of the outside of a mihrab, or prayer niche, as seen on the exterior of this mosque in the Moroccan town of Essaouira:

mosque_Jbala.jpg

It's a shame they had to modify it, but understandable in light of people's puerile responses to it.

That's what I thought too, but everyone described it as a fireplace/chimney, so I just assumed that's what it was supposed to be.

I don't have any problem with them modifying it -- it just would have been easy to modify while leaving it mostly as is. Just change the top of it. Sticking a door in the middle was not a good solution.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
You're describing why Harmonious is such a disaster. It could be the greatest night time show in history and it would still be a net negative for the park because of how much it screws up the lake.

Also, EPCOT has a ton of unutilized attraction space as-is. Why do you think it would be different if the lake didn't exist? If they won't even use the empty space they already have, why in the world would it be a good idea to add a bunch more of it?

And I assume you are also advocating for the destruction of the Rivers of America at Magic Kingdom? That's also wasted space that takes up a significant portion of the park without any attractions. You can claim the steamboat is an attraction, but in that case, there are also boats you can ride across the EPCOT lake, so it also has an attraction.

We can agree to disagree. Preserving forced perspective sightlines vs utility. Feel free to purchase sufficient shares of Disney for them to consider your esthetics in their design decisions.

UNCgolf

We can agree to disagree. Preserving force perspective sightlines vs utility. Fell free to purchase sufficient shares of Disney for them to consider your esthetics in their design decisions.

It's not really about the sightlines. Those matter, but it's more about the presence of a nice water feature in general. There's a reason so many people flock to lakes and the ocean. Bodies of water have a big overall effect on any area.

As for the part about Disney stock -- that's irrelevant. If that was the point, the whole forum should be closed because there'd be nothing to discuss. Everything they are doing is because they think it will make more money and thus be better for the corporation. That doesn't mean it's good for guests or an actual improvement to the parks.

LittleBuford

That's what I thought too, but everyone described it as a fireplace/chimney, so I just assumed that's what it was supposed to be.

I don't have any problem with them modifying it -- it just would have been easy to modify while leaving it mostly as is. Just change the top of it. Sticking a door in the middle was not a good solution.
I agree they could have gone for a less extreme modification, along the following lines perhaps:

sidi_yacoub_mosque_5_500.jpg

On the other hand, they probably wanted to move away from anything that resembled the old shape, and I personally don't mind the door.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It's not really about the sightlines. Those matter, but it's more about the presence of a nice water feature in general. There's a reason so many people flock to lakes and the ocean. Bodies of water have a big overall effect on any area.

As for the part about Disney stock -- that's irrelevant. If that was the point, the whole forum should be closed because there'd be nothing to discuss. Everything they are doing is because they think it will make more money and thus be better for the corporation. That doesn't mean it's good for guests or an actual improvement to the parks.

I would beg to differ, IMHO there's plenty to discuss without questioning their facility design changes. Most of the goodwill that keeps people coming back is due to the diverse offerings, excellent cast members, and climate. If the hill you want to die on is underserved, then so be it, there are other venues.

UNCgolf

I agree they could have gone for a less extreme modification, along the following lines perhaps:

sidi_yacoub_mosque_5_500.jpg

On the other hand, they probably wanted to move away from anything that resembled the old shape, and I personally don't mind the door.

I think the door looks out of place (as I've said), but it's an incredibly minor issue overall. Nothing to worry about.

Sir_Cliff

Regardless of the controversial new door, must say that Morocco has always been my favourite pavilion in terms of theming. I feel like it is always showcased in Imagineering books, so I hope there is some respect for the work done there as Disney takes control.

Not sure quite why they have had such trouble with their food offerings considering how good Moroccan food is. Must say, though, that I have never been able to convince people I have been travelling with to choose this pavilion for a meal.

I would beg to differ, IMHO there's plenty to discuss without questioning their facility design changes. Most of the goodwill that keeps people coming back is due to the diverse offerings, excellent cast members, and climate. If the hill you want to die on is underserved, then so be it, there are other venues.

I'm sorry, but the themed environment (or what you creatively, dismissively call "facility design") is a HUGE part of why people visit WDW.

World Showcase Lagoon is popular largely because of the unique themed environment. If Disney messes up that environment with shortsighted facility design changes™️, then that's worth discussing on this board.

JohnD

I think the door looks out of place (as I've said), but it's an incredibly minor issue overall. Nothing to worry about.

Right. I've been in the Morocco pavilion numerous times and I never once noticed the, um, architectural feature on that wall. I hardly ever went back there except for one time I dined in Restaurant Marrakesh for a Candlelight Processional ticket. So, do we really think most people are going to get riled up by a non-descript door that most will never notice or if they do hardly register?

Bocabear

What exactly is a "Relaxation Station"? There used to be benches and seating I am not quite getting what this is... Free water and shoulder massages? Cool towels? What?

The Empress Lilly

I don't understand why they put a fake small door in. I think it looks more out of place than if it was just an alcove.
I always assumed it was a buttress. A visual clue to the period and building method of the structure.

The door itself looks fine, perhaps even good. Its robust arch could retain its function as buttressing support. But just around the corner is the actual entrance door, only five feet away or thereabouts. Plus there is no corresponding door inside, reducing the feature to an outdoor broomstick cabinet.4edfa8097cf533fe.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom