News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Really, really disappointing and embarrassing: the Arabic on and above the spice cart is backwards and unconnected. The word written on the wall as ت ا ي ر ط ع should be عطریات. My Arabic isn't good enough to be certain of this, but even the meaning seems off: as far as I know, عطریات means "perfumes" rather than "spices".

To @marni1971 and our other insiders, is there a way of bringing this to the attention of someone who can do something about it? I'd write to Disney's usual customer service email, but I'm not sure how far I'll get that way.

الحيوانات الصغيرة مغطاة بالصلصة العشوائية بالعنب وبذور الحشائش.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not familiar with this. Can you shed some light?
On the refurb of BoardWalk pool, they spelled "keister" wrong. They had to change it when it was pointed out to them...

1621545004471.png

1621545025163.png

Disone

It's because the centerpiece tower of Morocco a replica of an Islamic prayer tower, and lighting it would be against Islamic tenets.

I don't think Disney would choose to go against that just because they now operate the pavilion.
Sincerely thank you for this explanation which is slightly different and in my opinion better than prior ones I have read.

Previously I've been told that they could not like the Moroccan Pavilion because of Moroccan culture. But I've met enough Moroccans in my time here in Florida to determine that there is no Moroccan culture that says you can't put lights on a building. But the specific tower that was more interesting detail I had not previously read until just now. That is much more interesting and makes much more sense. I wonder if they could trim the rest of the pavion but not the tower.

Of course if they did that the average guest would probably think the tower is just out and Disney needs to fix the power to it.

LittleBuford

Really, really disappointing and embarrassing: the Arabic on and above the spice cart is backwards and unconnected. The word written on the wall as ت ا ي ر ط ع should be عطریات. My Arabic isn't good enough to be certain of this, but even the meaning seems off: as far as I know, عطریات means "perfumes" rather than "spices".

To @marni1971 and our other insiders, is there a way of bringing this to the attention of someone who can do something about it? I'd write to Disney's usual customer service email, but I'm not sure how far I'll get that way.
Something else that’s bothering me is that this is computer-font Arabic (which is how the error happened in the first place), unlike the older signage at the pavilion, which was clearly custom-designed by people accomplished in calligraphy:

o_1afhkjukdn9noms1jqo2khktne.jpg

tangier-traders-clothing-and-leatherwork-gift-shop-entrance-logo-sign-in-morocco-pavilion-epcot-world-showcase-disney-world-635x370.jpeg

True, one wouldn’t expect a spice cart to have calligraphic inscriptions, but they could at least have gone for a handwritten style rather than something that looks like it was mistyped on Microsoft Word!

LittleBuford

I would imagine someone did some research on how to spell it? I don't know...are there different dialects, like in Italian?
Someone probably did my kind of research and called it a day!
I somehow missed the second part of @dreday3's earlier post. The problem isn't with the translation or spelling; the words are correct, but their letters are written in reverse order!

Arabic does indeed have a number dialects that sometimes diverge so much at the spoken level that Arabs from different countries can't understand each other. The Moroccan dialect is unintelligible to someone from Egypt, for example. There is a standard formal register (called Modern Standard Arabic) that is shared across the Arab world and used in formal and written contexts, though things like shop signs often reflect local usages.

Fun fact: Maltese is a dialect of Arabic, and the only one that has been standardised into a language in its own right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom