News Morocco Pavilion redevelopment

James Alucobond

Can we not just let Moroccan culture speak for itself without such silly gimmicks? No-one is suggesting that Italy needs this sort of nonsense.
… Aren’t they? People want Pinocchio or Luca for Italy, Snow White or Rapunzel for Germany, Mulan for China, etc. Unless you mean that the suggestions for Morocco are particularly ill-suited to it, which I agree with, but that’s mostly a function of there being no culturally Moroccan stories in the Disney canon. Personally, I think putting an oil lamp shop at the back of the bazaar that leads to an enhanced M&G with Genie + Aladdin / Jasmine would be least disruptive since they’re already meeting elsewhere in the pavilion anyway.

Bocabear

Can we not just let Moroccan culture speak for itself without such silly gimmicks? No-one is suggesting that Italy needs this sort of nonsense.
Italy could use some sort of nonsense... or anything over just another restaurant... I like Via Napoli...It could sure use an attraction...or something other than a small shop and a couple restaurants... Given the source material, it's not a very compelling pavilion... So...I would love to see them add something to give it a little more dimension other than Pizza , Wine and Pasta...
Yes if they actually had a compelling show of the Moroccan Culture, it could speak for itself, but it appears mute....so it needs something to explain the culture. Last time I was there, the only thing open was the Passholder lounge and the waterside eatery. The Bazaar or what was left of it was closed and blocked off....there was a small display of a desert dunebuggy and that was it....so...no explanations of the Moroccan Culture...

michmousefan

I understand the challenges in making it happen, but World Showcase needs some sort of a middle eastern pavilion so the Aladdin M&G can be in a pavilion that makes more sense, not shoehorned in one that is approximately 2,500+ miles from the fictional setting of Agrabah.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I understand the challenges in making it happen, but World Showcase needs some sort of a middle eastern pavilion so the Aladdin M&G can be in a pavilion that makes more sense, not shoehorned in one that is approximately 2,500+ miles from the fictional setting of Agrabah.
So, where on a real map is Agrabah?

Bocabear

according to Google:
Agrabah is a fictional city in the Disney animated film Aladdin (1992) and the live-action remake (2019) that serves as the film's central location. The city is described as being near the Jordan River and in a place where "caravan camels roam", which suggests it's in North Africa, such as Morocco or Algeria. Agrabah is also based on classical Baghdad and represents a wider Islamicate culture, with its architecture inspired by Arabic-Islamic styles.
So technically they could say it was Morocco...
Can we push the restaurant back and put the flying Carpets from Adventureland there and restore the original look to Adventureland?

michmousefan

Well, yeah... "classical Baghdad" is probably like 3,000 miles from Morocco. And the live action movie was shot in Jordan (and studios in London). I'm sure the location of the live-action film's setting was purposefully ambiguous to avoid the point I was trying to make.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Probably more info than anybody wants, but:
Oh, well, if it's somewhere in the Middle East or Southeast Asia, then we can narrow it down to this...

1721325540653.png

Bocabear

I don't get the fascination with Aladdin being Asian. His father is Ali Baba...not the Chinese website. The story is from the Levant.

Either way, we need a Moroccan story from Disney to help us add a ride, if IP is required.
A pixar film based on the life of young Freddie Mercury?

LittleBuford

I don't get the fascination with Aladdin being Asian. His father is Ali Baba...not the Chinese website. The story is from the Levant.
The original Middle Eastern story is set in China, though there is nothing obviously Chinese about the characters (who all bear Arabic names) or the world they inhabit. Rather than being a serious ethnic claim, Aladdin’s Chineseness was a way of signalling that his story was taking place in an exotic faraway land. Disney opted (sensibly, I think) to match the story’s cultural frame of reference and set it in the Middle East instead, but British pantomime performances still go with the Chinese setting of the original source material.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom