More Service Dogs Than Usual?

scarletsfire

Timekeeper - I agree with pretty much everything you've said. There are several reasons that there has likely been a rise in the number of service animals. Not only has it been found that dogs can be used for other things outside of vision impairments but there's also more training agencies. Where several years ago there was only a handful of "guide dog" training agencies in the US, now there's typically an agency in or within reasonable distance of each state that trains service animals (not just dogs for blind). It's also been discovered that various dogs have differing abilities to aid their human partner in a needed fashion. Often smaller dogs are used for hearing or seizure dogs where larger more sturdy breed are used for mobility issues, so dog types and sizes may vary.

I strongly agree with your comment about proper identification. Any dog that is a service dog is HIGHLY TRAINED! Not only is it trained but, the dog and their human partner typically have to go through a training program together. When my husband got his Leader Dog ("guide dog"), he had to go to the training center and train with the dog for a month. Upon completion of their training together he received a card, similar to what one might consider a school ID with a picture of both him and his Leader Dog, that certified that they had completed training. He also has a packet of papers that we travel with as proof that he is a service animal and are regularly requested at hotels. Granted the paperwork is a pain to keep up with, but a certifiable ID would be like keeping up with your license. We gladly present the ID if requested and, may gripe about but, are willing to return to the car to retrieve the paperwork if needed. It lets people know we aren't trying to pull the wool over their eyes. They instantly change their attitude towards us b/c so many have tried to deceive them before. We have no problems helping to weed out the asinine impostures.

For those curious - Leader Dogs are service dogs for the blind that are trained at the Leader Dogs for the Blind facility in Michigan. The facility is completely non-profit and sponsored largely by Loins Club and private donations. To learn more about Leader Dogs you can check out http://www.leaderdog.org/ or you can find information on other service dog agencies and those closest to you at http://www.workinglikedogs.com/service-dog-resources/service-dog-training-programs-ne/

luv

I have been noticing more dogs. The people holding the leashes are obviously not blind, and the dog is behind them often. I thought maybe people were beginning to train the dogs and that is how it started. But these dogs didn't appear to be being trained at all. They were just like any other dog.

I also thought that people might just be bringing pets with little vests. I really hope that is NOT the case.

danpam1024

I think it is a combination of a couple of things. The definition of a service dog has expanded past your typical seeing eye dog and it has become incredibly easy to get darn near any dog classified as a service animal opening up the possibility for the family pet to be able to brought everywhere.
Yep- minimal to NO regulations- you can slap a vest on fido and bring him anywhere for your "anxiety". Like everything else people have found a way to abuse the system for selfish reasons:mad:

Sully83

There was a thread about this not too long ago, and if I recall it got somewhat heated. You are correct though, that CM's cannot ask what the animal is for or require you to provide any proof. Yes, this does mean that people can cheat the system if they really wanted to. You would just hope that this wouldn't really be the case, but like GAC cards there will always be some people who use the system to their advantage.

Maybe some of you are better with training your dogs then I am, but I would never get away with this if I were to cheat the system. My one year old golden kody would be up on mickey licking him in the face, or politly asking the little kid next to him for a taste of their mickey bar.

Sans Souci

I was at Chefs de France last August and we were sitting at the banquette along the back the restaurant and I noticed the woman at the next table had a Yorkie sitting next to her. It wasn't on the floor, it was on the seat, (without a barrier between the dog's bottom and the seat, I might add). It kept putting its paws on the table and sniffing at their food. The waiter even brought out a plate of veggies for it. I understand some people need these dogs, but they belong on the floors in restaurants. I would think that violates some sort of health code, but I guess a cute dog gets the blind eye.

Nemo14

Maybe some of you are better with training your dogs then I am, but I would never get away with this if I were to cheat the system. My one year old golden kody would be up on mickey licking him in the face, or politly asking the little kid next to him for a taste of their mickey bar.

Our golden's name was Kody too - great dog!

jakeman

Far_Side_Seeing_eye_dog_comic_strip.jpg

draybook

I don't either, but it is hard to deny that some people are overly attached to their pets.

Yeah, this is what I meant. Why would someone want to just bring their regular pet for no reason? They don't give you access to unlimited fastpasses and the only "doggy bags" you'll get at any of the table service restaurants are meant for humans.

Sully83

Our golden's name was Kody too - great dog!

He is the 4th golden that we have had. Its funny all four of them had different personalities with different quirks, different attitudes, but I have not met a breed that every member that I have met has just a complete love and affection towards their master like they do. The 1st three were great dog and he is a great dog

ULPO46

So what alot of you are saying here is that people are bringing in dogs like Rich Manhattan moms are paying disabled tour guides to cut in line? Give me a break guys. Service dogs come in all shapes and sizes and I don't think employees are that stupid to allow someone to bring a non service dog that is not even in training into the park. I highly doubt that. For heavens sake I have my own service dog. I am not blind but i have a heart condition and she is trained to help me and carry my injections to stable my heart in an emergency. Yet another example of the different guide dogs. But please if you see a non service dog like a Yorkie in a park I would have to see a picture in order to believe it. Till then I have a high doubt that Cast members would seriously allow you to bring a dog in to the park. Whats next pepper spray and cats?

Nemo14

He is the 4th golden that we have had. Its funny all four of them had different personalities with different quirks, different attitudes, but I have not met a breed that every member that I have met has just a complete love and affection towards their master like they do. The 1st three were great dog and he is a great dog

Ours was actually a female, but had the name when we adopted her. She never really believed that she was a a dog - she thought she was one of us. She literally lived to please us. We lost her 3 years ago, and we still miss her dearly, but no more dogs for us.

ULPO46

Doesn't Disney offer a free day in the Kennel for pet owners? Why would anyone in their right mind want to bring a non service animal into the park knowing that you cant cut lines and can't put your dog in the ride?

Goofyernmost

So what alot of you are saying here is that people are bringing in dogs like Rich Manhattan moms are paying disabled tour guides to cut in line? Give me a break guys. Service dogs come in all shapes and sizes and I don't think employees are that stupid to allow someone to bring a non service dog that is not even in training into the park. I highly doubt that. For heavens sake I have my own service dog. I am not blind but i have a heart condition and she is trained to help me and carry my injections to stable my heart in an emergency. Yet another example of the different guide dogs. But please if you see a non service dog like a Yorkie in a park I would have to see a picture in order to believe it. Till then I have a high doubt that Cast members would seriously allow you to bring a dog in to the park. Whats next pepper spray and cats?
So it wasn't enough to say it once but you had to repeat it a second time. All because you don't believe that they would follow the law and HAVE to allow them in the park when all they can ask is "If the dog is a service dog or a pet". (and we all know what that response will be) and "what service is the dog supposed to provide" (we all know that they will have an answer for that as well). So if the person wants to play the system all they have to do is be able to lie. Since they are perfectly willing to abuse a system and lie to get an animal in with them, then it isn't a big stretch to think that they would lie about those two answers as well.o_O

ULPO46

Sure they will lie but Disney isn't that gullible. Unless you have a guide dog or wait until a guide dog enters the theme park you have to read their website. Also the owner of such animal must notify staff in advance to be given a clearance card. The details can be read on the Walt Disney World Resort website page " Coming to Disney with Disabilities". Their rules are the accommodate the animal. People can't abuse the system.

Nemo14

Sure they will lie but Disney isn't that gullible. Unless you have a guide dog or wait until a guide dog enters the theme park you have to read their website. Also the owner of such animal must notify staff in advance to be given a clearance card. The details can be read on the Walt Disney World Resort website page " Coming to Disney with Disabilities". Their rules are the accommodate the animal. People can't abuse the system.

but they do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom