More Service Dogs Than Usual?

ULPO46

I don't want to be arguementive but by the amount of dogs how many? 1-5 or 5+ that you see in just one disney park?

ULPO46

DTD
Thats Downtown Disney. There is a difference between Downtown Disney and an actual park. The ones in the park are actual Disabled persons. DTD are locals who take strolls in DTD because if you have ever been to Lake or downtown Orlando there is not as much to do there with Fido than going to DTD. OK. Now that makes sense why there are more dogs and dogs in strollers. You never clarified that. Because I don't think a cast member at a park entrance is stupid enough knowing the rules to allow a dog in a stroller enter the MK or any other of the parks and water parks. Downtown Disney is a totally different story all together. You can bring any type of dog there. I used to walk my dog there and She behaves well and will not go to the bathroom while in downtown disney. But i understand your point. Not lake Eola so there are no doggie bags.

Nemo14

DTD
Thats Downtown Disney. There is a difference between Downtown Disney and an actual park. The ones in the park are actual Disabled persons. DTD are locals who take strolls in DTD because if you have ever been to Lake or downtown Orlando there is not as much to do there with Fido than going to DTD. OK. Now that makes sense why there are more dogs and dogs in strollers. You never clarified that. Because I don't think a cast member at a park entrance is stupid enough knowing the rules to allow a dog in a stroller enter the MK or any other of the parks and water parks. Downtown Disney is a totally different story all together. You can bring any type of dog there. I used to walk my dog there and She behaves well and will not go to the bathroom while in downtown disney. But i understand your point. Not lake Eola so there are no doggie bags.

but the others we saw were in MK - at least a dozen.

ULPO46

but the others we saw were in MK - at least a dozen.
yeah but not in a stroller right. The dogs were well behaved and had someone who looked like they had a condition or were people who were breaking the system? Sorry if I sounded weird earlier its just i had a hard time believeing that dogs in strollers were allowed in the parks.

Sully83

I'm not sure why you're being so argumentative about this. All we're saying is that there are more dogs seen in the parks now than in the past, and it's more than likely a case of people taking advantage of the system.

I do believe that some people take advantage of this, I just don't think its such a great number that some people on here feel it is. I honestly think that there are more definitions of what are service animals nowadays and because of that more people are rightfully allowed them now then in the past. I notice more service animals everywhere I go, its not a disney or theme park exclusive thing. I am sure some people abuse this, but that happens in everyday life so I think this thread is getting a little nuts and off the original track because honestly there is nothing we can do anyway if there are some abusing it. Also for the people abusing it, its kind of stupid because you can not even take the dog on most attractions, and a caveat to that is the dog can not be left unattended or with a CM so i don't even see the advantage of this anyway for the abusers out there because unless you have someone to watch the dog you can't just ride the most popular attractions

Nemo14

yeah but not in a stroller right. The dogs were well behaved and had someone who looked like they had a condition or were people who were breaking the system? Sorry if I sounded weird earlier its just i had a hard time believeing that dogs in strollers were allowed in the parks.

no, not in a stroller that I noticed anyway. But a few in "purses", and two or 3 that I would actually beleive were service animals.

ULPO46

I do believe that some people take advantage of this, I just don't think its such a great number that some people on here feel it is. I honestly think that there are more definitions of what are service animals nowadays and because of that more people are rightfully allowed them now then in the past. I notice more service animals everywhere I go, its not a disney or theme park exclusive thing. I am sure some people abuse this, but that happens in everyday life so I think this thread is getting a little nuts and off the original track because honestly there is nothing we can do anyway if there are some abusing it. Also for the people abusing it, its kind of stupid because you can not even take the dog on most attractions, and a caveat to that is the dog can not be left unattended or with a CM so i don't even see the advantage of this anyway for the abusers out there because unless you have someone to watch the dog you can't just ride the most popular attractions
I agree with you. From seizure dogs to heart condition dogs which i do own one for my heart condition, they are now a part of our lives. IT should not bother anyone like seeing a poor kid who walks crunched and can't talk. It is a hell lot better than seeing Robots guiding people around. They are living, hardworking animals who help people like me and other disabled and injured persons with their daily lives. Lara has helped save me twice by giving me my injections when my blood pressure went to high.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Downtown Disney is a totally different story all together. You can bring any type of dog there. I used to walk my dog there and She behaves well and will not go to the bathroom while in downtown disney. But i understand your point. Not lake Eola so there are no doggie bags.

I'm pretty sure there are signs up at DTD saying that dogs aren't permitted, except for service dogs. Maybe I imagined it.

Nemo14

I'm pretty sure there are signs up at DTD saying that dogs aren't permitted, except for service dogs. Maybe I imagined it.

We had never seen dogs there until this year, but in all honesty, we don't hang out there very often.

It cracked me up to see dogs in a stroller though.

Prince-1

Sounded weird earlier....???

disneypearl

Maybe some of you are better with training your dogs then I am, but I would never get away with this if I were to cheat the system. My one year old golden kody would be up on mickey licking him in the face, or politly asking the little kid next to him for a taste of their mickey bar.
I have a one year old golden retriever too. She would behave the same way as yours and I would also have to add that she would have to meet and make friends with everyone there, even if the park was full to capacity. Nope, she wouldn't fool anyone. Good thing I would never try pass her off as a service dog.

WDWSDH

I have a one year old golden retriever too. She would behave the same way as yours and I would also have to add that she would have to meet and make friends with everyone there, even if the park was full to capacity. Nope, she wouldn't fool anyone. Good thing I would never try pass her off as a service dog.

Okay, well I see this thread has run its course, but I think it brings up some valid points for anyone involved with service dogs. I'm planning my first "real" trip to WDW and other parks this winter with my husband and my service dog. Granted, service dog laws continue to change, but I wanted to add my two cents. I have a fully trained, PTSD service dog that is a 5.9 lb. Maltese/Yorkie. Her picture is my profile picture. We don't get a lot of people outspokenly questioning us anymore because she is awesome in public with me and I do have her wear her vest that includes badges calling her a "PTSD dog", for my own convenience. It's a big trigger not to be taken seriously, but she is legit and has been trained professionally. I get that there are people who pass their pets off as service dogs and without much hesitation, I will admit the woman in the park with the dog in the stroller most likely was "faking it." However, it is not NECESSARILY true, as your dog only has to be in a position in which he/she can provide you the service he/she was trained to do, and besides that, all dogs, especially little ones, are going to need breaks off their feet if they're spending a full day (or days) somewhere like WDW. It would be perfectly legit and legal for her to put the dog in a stroller to give it a rest for a little while. However, I personally try to avoid much of thing kind of thing because of the backlash you can get and I don't like being disbelieved. Although I just have to say, I might bring my dog "sling" for times like later in the night during parade/firework times when Ella might be trampled over, to get her off the ground. It wraps around my torso, and is kind of like a baby Bjorn. Hey, it may look funny, but it keeps her safe for a few minutes and all within my legal rights. Just wanted to bump this up with some new thoughts. Thanks.

POLY LOVER

They are finding that dogs can be useful for more than just blind assistance.
So that could be why you are seeing more dogs. There are many different types of service dogs.

Minnie1986

I agree it is a cute picture but I was under the impression that service animals were not supposed to be touched or distracted while working.
It depends on the disability in question. I have a disability and when I get a dog will have him or her registered. Nonetheless, the qualification does not apply to me.

EOD K9

I read a news report of at least 1 case which is now/was in the courts where a lady passed her small dog as a support animal and she let him out of his travel cage on a plane..and the dog bit a flight attendent and a passinger. Now a small dog isn't likely to have caused a bad injury...but you all can see the point.

AKK
I haven't read through this entire thread, but as a working dog handler I will comment on this one, and comment along the way. I have seen a Boston Terrier fear bite someone and it appeared as if he was cut with a razor blade. The cut/bite started at his lip and was three inches up his cheek. It required 17 stitches.

Tonka's Skipper

I haven't read through this entire thread, but as a working dog handler I will comment on this one, and comment along the way. I have seen a Boston Terrier fear bite someone and it appeared as if he was cut with a razor blade. The cut/bite started at his lip and was three inches up his cheek. It required 17 stitches.

I totally agree............Still not as bad as large dog and my point was that even if a small dog and not LIKELY to cause a serious injury.

AKK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom