More Service Dogs Than Usual?

ULPO46

but they do.
Service Animal Relief Area

Guests with disabilities can experience many attractions and Disney destinations with their working animal companion.
service-animals-01.jpg
Rules Regarding Your 4-Legged Friend

Trained service animals are welcome in most locations throughout the Walt Disney World Resort. We ask, however, that you please observe the following:
  • All service animals must remain on a leash or in a harness at all times.
  • On attractions with an alternate entrance, Guests with service animals should follow the same attractions entrance procedures as described for Guests using wheelchairs in the Guide for Guests with Disabilities.
  • Please note that Walt Disney World Resort Cast Members are not permitted to care for or take control of service animals at any time.
  • Other Guests: remember, service animals such as guide dogs are working when they visit Walt Disney World Resort. Always ask before you pet or distract any service animal.
service-animals-02.jpg
Disney Destinations Allowing Service Animals

Guests with service animals should check with a host for attraction and boarding information at select attractions. These include:
Magic Kingdom Park
Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
Stitch’s Great Escape

Epcot
Spaceship Earth
Innoventions – Certain Attractions
Captain EO

Disney’s Hollywood Studios
The Great Movie Ride
Toy Story Midway Mania

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park
It’s Tough To Be A Bug!
Kilimanjaro Safaris
The aviary area of Pangani Forest Explorations Trail
The aviary area of Maharajah Jungle Trek

Other Disney Destinations
service-animals-03.jpg
Attractions Not Allowing Service Animals

Due to the nature of the experience, service animals are not permitted on certain attractions. These include:
Magic Kingdom Park
Splash Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Peter Pan’s Flight
Space Mountain

Epcot
Mission: SPACE
Test Track
Soarin’
Sum of All Thrills

Rock ’n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Star Tours – The Adventure Continues

Affection Section at Rafiki’s Planet Watch
Kali River Rapids
Expedition Everest
Primeval Whirl
DINOSAUR - Legend of the Forbidden Mountain®

A member of the party must remain with the animal at all times.
service-animals-04.jpg
Designated Relief Areas for Service Animals

All theme parks and Resort hotels allow Guests to use backstage areas for service animal relief. A Cast Member must accompany you to the designated area. You can also consult the Guide for Guests with Disabilities for specific information.
Relief areas include:
Magic Kingdom Park
  • Backstage behind the gate next to Tony’s Town Square Restaurant
  • Backstage behind the gate next to Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Backstage behind the parade gate near Splash Mountain
  • Backstage to the left of Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress
Epcot
  • Main Entrance
  • Backstage behind the gate to the left of the Universe of Energy in Future World East
  • Backstage behind the gate to the right of Imagination! in Future World West
  • Backstage behind the gate to the left of the Stave Church in Norway
  • Backstage behind the gate to the left of Germany
  • Backstage behind the gate to the left of Morocco
  • International Gateway behind the World Traveler
  • Main Entrance
  • Backstage gate near Star Tours
  • Backstage to the left of the Courthouse (Tri-City Square)
  • Backstage gate near Toy Story Mania!
    Backstage near the restrooms at Animation Courtyard Backstage behind the Theater of the Stars
  • Main Entrance
  • Backstage behind the gates near Restaurantosaurus
  • Backstage behind the gates near Kilimanjaro Safaris
  • Next to Creature Comforts at the entrance to First Aid
  • Backstage behind the gates to the right of Conservation Station
  • Backstage behind the gates near Maharajah Jungle Trek
Walt Disney World Resort Hotels
  • Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge: Along the perimeter of the disability/30 minute parking lot
  • Disney’s BoardWalk Resort and Villas: Grassy area behind the valet lot, near the tennis courts on the Villa side
  • Disney’s Contemporary Resort: Grassy area at the South Beach
  • Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground: Near loops 300, 1600, 1700, 1800 and 1900
  • Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa: Behind building 5 (Sago Cay)
  • Disney’s Old Key West Resort: Grassy area as you turn into building 23-26 and building 36-40
  • Disney’s Polynesian Resort: Grassy area on the outer perimeters of the resort building and parking lots
  • Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa: On Broadway between the Congress Park bus stop and street
  • Disney’s Wilderness Lodge Resort and Villas
    • Lodge: Past the pool area on the grassy area across from the beach
    • Villas: Grassy area to the left of the "recreation fork" across from the beach
  • Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club Resorts and Villas
    • Beach & Villas: The grassy area outside of the Beach Club by room 1501
    • Yacht: The grassy area just past the Admiral pool

Goofyernmost

Cool, I guess, but what does any of that have to do with what we were talking about. We already know that Disney is more than willing to help anyone with an actual disability. We are talking about people who do not have a disability but claim that they do in order to bring their dog in with them. Why they would want to is beyond me, but many do.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
any further info can be found at the web-link i gave you guys and calling the 407 Disney number.

No one's disputing the information, rather discussing if there are more service dogs in the parks now then there was in the past. Granted, someone bumped an 18-moth old thread, so I would wager there probably are more of them.....

Skippy's Pal

I don't think that anyone in this thread raised any issues with legitimate service dogs accompanying guests to WDW. I started this thread to inquire as to whether others have noticed the increased frequency of (what we assume to be) service dogs at WDW, or whether it was just my perception.

If 100 guests at EPCOT required that service dogs accompany them in the parks, fine. Just as if 100 guests at EPCOT required the use of ECVs, fine. But, the systems that are in place to justifiably assist those in need are often abused by others. For example, everyone here knows that sometimes fully able-bodied young adults rent ECVs at EPCOT to "race around the world" or otherwise engage in horseplay. This is particularly common among locals who - ironically - work in related entertainment park industries and visit the parks often.

Because the process of bringing a dog into the park is even easier than renting an ECV, this honor system is quite vulnerable to abuse. We would all hope that this kind of abuse does not become so commonplace (in all public areas, not just the WDW parks) that the process for those having a legitimate need for a service dog becomes any more difficult or burdensome.

:)

Yes, this. Part of the problem - and I didn't spot this term yet in the thread - is what has become a squishy line between "service animal" and "companion animal." In July 2012 the Department of Transportation issued a directive that airlines MUST let passengers fly with PIGS if they are needed for "emotional support." It's probably a wonder that Porky (apart from having been a Warner Brothers property) hasn't shown up at WDW yet. I am awe of, and have total respect for, true service animals and the amazing things they can do and the training they have been through. And all of that is undercut by selfish, me-generation people trying to game the system with their purse-puppies and "companion" pets.

ULPO46

I understand what is going on. But I don't think it is that bad. Just like the Manhattan Mom thing its been going on for a while. But Disney is not that stupid. That is what i wanted to say. Not that they look at medical files. But when someone is disabled they ask for medical info to allow the dog in as well as so that if someone dies in the park they do understand that there are warning signs posted on "extreme rides" so that Disney doesn't get sued. Don't forget thats all part of the $$$. But yes I understand that all of you have your points but since I have not personally seen a Yorkie around I will find it hard to believe that Disney is allowing small dogs. Service dogs maybe there is a small abuse but I don't think it's that big of a problem. Disabled people have as much of a right to bring their service dogs to help them enjoy what is rightfully an American Right of Passage and enjoyment. Sorry if anyone thought me stupid but I respect just as disney will respect and allow people to bring in ONLY SERVICE DOGS.

ULPO46

This is part of the problem.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=dog vest service vest dog cape dog coat service dog

Anyone with a CC can get a service animal vest. With a $30 purchase Rover instantly becomes a service animal.
Yes You can buy that on eBay but the trouble is that more often than not if a cast member notices that you are alone or with a huge group of a family then they will probably have to ask you for the License of Dog Training. Which sadly yes does exists in both the State of Florida and the United States Department of Agriculture requires it to make sure your training establishment is Legit.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes You can buy that on eBay but the trouble is that more often than not if a cast member notices that you are alone or with a huge group of a family then they will probably have to ask you for the License of Dog Training. Which sadly yes does exists in both the State of Florida and the United States Department of Agriculture requires it to make sure your training establishment is Legit.
It would not surprise me if the next time that happens, it will be the first. Very few will ask unless there is a problem simply for the fear of being sued.

The Mom

Premium Member
any further info can be found at the web-link i gave you guys and calling the 407 Disney number.

No where in those links does it say that a guest must provide proof that the animal accompanying them is a bona-fide, trained service animal. That's the topic being discussed.

Currently, if a guest says Fido is a service dog, a CM has to let it enter.

Nemo14

No where in those links does it say that a guest must provide proof that the animal accompanying them is a bona-fide, trained service animal. That's the topic being discussed.

How dare you bring logic into this?

ULPO46

True most of the time but it depends who you get. Like the security guys at the checkpoints. For example I like to see how good they actually check bags. I know that at mid day there are so many people in the line waiting for checks that they will just move the stick around and see nothing. I check that with putting a swiss at the bottom. What i am trying to say is yes you will probably have no problem but if you get the right person and your Dog is not a people person and gets rowdy. Eye brows will be raised.

The Mom

Premium Member
Eyebrows may be raised, but according to the ADA they can only ask 2 questions previously mentioned. A CM cannot demand proof of training or medical documentation without violating the ADA. They can ask you to leave if the animal is posing a clear danger to others due to misbehavior.

The OP was not talking about unruly animals, but animals in general.

ULPO46

Eyebrows may be raised, but according to the ADA they can only ask 2 questions previously mentioned. A CM cannot demand proof of training or medical documentation without violating the ADA.
Sure the ADA is there but how many times have we heard that Cast members at Disney, Universal, and Seaworld have violated those rules and laws? Plus if you guys continue reading on the rules and terms, its not like the dog can go everywhere. The person who owns or is renting the dog must abide and take care of the thing. I don't think some pet owner is going to miss out on riding the tower of terror because they need to stay behind with Fido. Thats what i am trying to say. Are people faking it or at least give the people with Special needs peace and finally they are expressing themselves and trying to be normal by visiting Disney world for heavens sake. This is one of the dumbest feeds I have ever seen on here.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
The service animal relief areas have been moved to on stage locations in most parks now. That could very well be an indication that there has been an increase in service animal traffic.

Nemo14

I'm not sure why you're being so argumentative about this. All we're saying is that there are more dogs seen in the parks now than in the past, and it's more than likely a case of people taking advantage of the system.

ULPO46

The service animal relief areas have been moved to on stage locations in most parks now. That could very well be an indication that there has been an increase in service animal traffic.
Also the population of people who want to go to Disney and who can do it is becoming larger no matter religion, gender, creed, nationality, or disability. Just because we see a dog we should not freak out. They are trying to have just as much fun as we are.

The Mom

Premium Member
I'm not sure why you're being so argumentative about this. All we're saying is that there are more dogs seen in the parks now than in the past, and it's more than likely a case of people taking advantage of the system.

And if the choice is between riding ToT or having the family dog with them, they choose the dog. ;) Or leave the "service" animal with someone else in their party while they ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom