More Service Dogs Than Usual?

Animaniac93-98

I don't either, but it is hard to deny that some people are overly attached to their pets.

There are many points in this thread I could quote to start a point, but I'll use this one (sorry @Master Yoda).

Dogs, cats and other pets are not toys or fashion accessories. They are real animals that need shelter, protection and care - which includes discipline and cleaning up after them. There is a certain level of responsibility to owning one, and that also involves respecting others' personal and/or private space.

Real service animals are trained to provide a service to their owner and behave themselves in public. There's a reason why you're average suburban/urban dog is NOT allowed inside Disney theme parks, or other examples of private property.

I have no issue with trained service animals in Disney theme parks, provided they respect Disney's rules (in particular, the use of designated relief areas. Just like the smoking areas, there's a reason they exist).

As you may have noticed, I have little tolerance for people who insist on bringing their pet anywhere, just because they feel they can (and not for any particular, legitimate reason like being a dog that helps people see or cope with PTSD). The parks are crowded enough as is and bringing in an animal to whom others may be allergic to, afraid of, or simply don't want to step into their mess, is very selfish. Cheating the system also puts real service animal owners at risk as any one incident (say, a guest being bitten by an untrained dog) would be enough for Disney to restric access for them and make it a bigger pain for true service animal owners to take them into the parks.

Certainly, some people have...strange obesssions with their pets. I doubt every dog's ideal day of fun involves being dressed up and dragged around outside all day in 90 degree heat with little rest or water. Again, this goes back to point #1 - they are living animals, and not just play things. If they do not provide a legitimate service, please respect them and other WDW guests and leave them in the care of a relative or kennel instead.

[/rant]

wdwjmp239

I don't think every dog you see is a service dog, but if the owners keep their dogs in check and clean up after them, then I have no issue with it. I saw a gentleman standing in line at "It's A Small World" holding onto a Havanese (small, white dogs - very cute - my mom has one) and I asked if I could pet the dog. He smiled and said, "Please do." Then, he proceeded to tell me about 9/11 and how he was one of the first responders in the World Trade Center attacks and he uses the dog to calm himself down (anxiety/panic attacks). My heart went out him and I shook his hand thanking him for his service. You just don't know the story behind why people bring their dogs with them into the parks. But, this story was a great one and I'm glad I had a chance to shake the hand of one of New York's Finest (NYC Police Officer). :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom