More Service Dogs Than Usual?

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Sweet picture but this brings concerns for the children who meet Pluto following this greeting. Some people are extremely allergic to animal dander. Just sayin'....

This issue is directly related to PhilharMagician's question about service animals staying in hotel rooms. The standard mousekeeping clean between guests is not sufficient to eliminate animal "leftovers" that could cause aggravated reactions in those with allergies. :(

Pioneer Hall

And this is the problem. Any animal can become a service animal. Spy rings in a Cracker Jack box are no big deal until you can walk right into the CIA with one.:lol:

Perhaps at some point in the future, if this does truly become a problem then there will be actual certification and notes of requirement from a doctor. I could see a system similar to disabled parking spaces, where you need a tag in order to park in a marked spot. Sure, that system still sees its fair share of abuse, but it is a lot better than if it were on the honor system. If it gets to a point where people start seeing dogs everywhere that claim to be service animals, then I could ultimately see legislation to make it more legitimate. Then I could see service dogs having to wear a special tag on their collars that would designate them as a certified service animal. This would protect companies such as Disney from ever having to question an animal. If it has a tag, then it could come in...no tag then it has to be put in a kennel.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
All good points, DisneyInsider.

It does seem odd to me that it would be easier for me to bring a non-service dog into a theme park (that could bite, set off allergies, or otherwise be generally distracting) than it would be for me to park a few rows closer to the entrance.

There will probably need to be an "incident" such as a dog attack by a pet (that is revealed to not be a legitimate service dog) to be in the news before these suggested formalities are implemented.

We've seen other honor systems that, after sufficient abuse, subsequently required stricter regulation, e.g. finger scanners to enforce the nontransferability of park tickets.

Pioneer Hall

All good points, DisneyInsider.

It does seem odd to me that it would be easier for me to bring a non-service dog into a theme park (that could bite, set off allergies, or otherwise be generally distracting) than it would be for me to park a few rows closer to the entrance.

There will probably need to be an "incident" such as a dog attack by a pet (that is revealed to not be a legitimate service dog) to be in the news before these suggested formalities are implemented.

We've seen other honor systems that, after sufficient abuse, subsequently required stricter regulation, e.g. finger scanners to enforce the nontransferability of park tickets.

If it does indeed become a problem though, it would be coming from much more than just an increase in dogs at WDW. Change would come only if you saw a large increase in the number of dogs and hotel, movie theaters, malls, etc. As of right now, I don't see a stark overall increase in the number of service animals (or those claiming to be so) where anyone is going to spend the time or money to strictly legislate it.

Clever Name

What constitutes a service animal is defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Even though some states may have certification programs in place for service animals, they are unenforceable because the ADA takes precedence. The US Justice Department has already rejected the notion for any additional certification, training, licensing, vest requirements, ID’s and other such nonsense.

http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm :wave:

Timekeeper

Original Poster
What constitutes a service animal is defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Even though some states may have certification programs in place for service animals, they are unenforceable because the ADA takes precedence. The US Justice Department has already rejected the notion for any additional certification, training, licensing, vest requirements, ID’s and other such nonsense.

And yet the document that you provided the link to correctly defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. Thus, this is a required factor, but when proof of this factor may not be required, then the purpose of this factor is completely frustrated. Most of us are used to getting some kind of certification upon completion of training, whether it's a driver's license, SCUBA license, CPR, or even clown college. Heck, the last time I was in one of the cars in the Indy Speedway at the Magic Kingdom, a CM gave me a "driver's license." It's not a completely alien notion to receive some form of documentation when one completes training. Things change, and the US DOJ isn't exactly in favorable light in today's political climate.

Moreover, I wouldn't consider some form of service animal identification to be "nonsense." Is the signage on cars that designate "Student Driver" nonsense? Or how about the Make A Wish Foundation or Give Kids the World shirts/hats/buttons that families wear to the theme parks, are those nonsense too? :brick:

The nature of a person's disability may be "private," but the status of "disabled" is not, so long as the person makes it known by virtue of the fact that applicable parking tags are required for respective parking areas, the status of an animal as a service dog and not a pet must be disclosed, etc. People can be more helpful of disabled persons (e.g. by not interfering with the service animal) if they know that the animal is a service animal. In a theme park, an adult would likely assume that the dog is a service dog, but it's not always easy to tell elsewhere. Some disabled persons understand this, and voluntarily identify their dog as a service dog.

Edit:

Most blind/vision impaired individuals use a "blind cane" that is distinguished by it's red and white configuration. In fact, if you google images search "blind cane," almost all of the results return the same color configuration. Why not use any other colors? This is to alert others as to the nature of the cane, and in turn the individual's disability. Obviously, a blind person would have no preference for the esthetics of red and white. But it helps for others to know.

images

AEfx

I was shocked myself on our last visit. A yellow lab we saw one day with a family was completely nuts and trying to what seemed get away for the leash holder. Now I typically see service dogs with the short leash or handle directly off of the collar, this dog had one of those retractable leash's and it appeared that they were having problems keeping it under control. The owners unfortunately were not concerned that the dog was pushing into people and jumped up on one passer by.:brick: To me it looked like the family dog was @ WDW having fun and was by no means a truely trained service dog. If it was then the trainer should be fired!

That was NOT a trained service animal.

On my most recent trip (Oct 21-28), I actually commented to my husband that I was seeing an increase in the number of service animals in the park. At both WDW and at Universal, I saw several service dogs accompanying people in the parks. All of them were very well behaved, and wore bright colored identification vests, and harnesses.

There was even one on the bus back to the resort one evening, and it was completely out of the way, laying down under the seat of its owner. Honestly, it took me a moment to figure out where the dog had gone, it was so well behaved.

I have heard of some individuals using smaller breed dogs as service animals for those with seizure disorders. The dogs are trained to recognize the early warning signs of an oncoming seizure, and alert their owners to the danger. Not saying that all of the small dogs were there for that reason, but it is one possible explanation.

GenerationX

On our last trip to the World, we ran into a service dog while waiting for Muppetvision. We got to talking to him, and you could swear he was a poster here. He went on and on about the proliferation of strollers running over his paws, the drop in quality of leftovers as a result of the DDP, and the lack of Rowlf-centric merchandise. I was thinking, wow, someone got up on the wrong side of the kennel this morning.

Club Cooloholic

Never had an issue with seeing too many service dogs. As for dander on Pluto, give me break. Should Pluto be scrubbed down between every child touching him, for fear the child may have some remnant of peanut butter on them and thus the next child might be allergic.
Have we run low on things to gripe about?

miles1

On my most recent trip (Oct 21-28), I actually commented to my husband that I was seeing an increase in the number of service animals in the park. At both WDW and at Universal, I saw several service dogs accompanying people in the parks. QUOTE]

I'm thinking that one would probably see more service dogs in the parks during the cooler months (now) than in the summer months when the pavement is scorching hot and the temperatures are unhealthy for a large dog to be walking the park. November to March are probably the only times its feasible for someone needing a service dog to bring one to the park.

AEfx

Never had an issue with seeing too many service dogs. As for dander on Pluto, give me break. Should Pluto be scrubbed down between every child touching him, for fear the child may have some remnant of peanut butter on them and thus the next child might be allergic.
Have we run low on things to gripe about?

LOL I'd be right on top of that one - as much as I am not a dog person, a little dog dander is much preferable to all the kid snot and germs I am sure he is COVERED with. ;)

Tonka's Skipper

With all due respect to your opinion....but...

My sis in law(she is legally blind and has a grand seeing eye dog) recieved a survey from her help group regarding a national campagain that is going to request/push for changes to the service/support animal part of the ADA.

She strongly feels that the animals do need training and certification to be a service or support animal. Reqiuring the paperwork and developing 1 approved marking system for the animal vests, to be sold only to people with certifed owners and no one can just pop online and get a service/support vest for thier animals/pets.

My understanding is that there has been a increase in pet animals being passed as service/support animals and there have been some people injured because a pet is rarely trained and able to handle the situations of large crowds.........meeting many unknown people or situations.

I saw 1 lady get bit in DTD, the dogs owner annouced to the dseciurty and the police/ medics called in that the dog was a support animal but he had no paperwork showing the dogs abilities and the dog was barking and snarlling at anyone near. Somehow I doubt(IMO) he was a support dog.

I read a news report of at least 1 case which is now/was in the courts where a lady passed her small dog as a support animal and she let him out of his travel cage on a plane..and the dog bit a flight attendent and a passinger. Now a small dog isn't likely to have caused a bad injury...but you all can see the point.

I totally agree changes need to be made or the system of service /support animals for people who really need it, will break down in time

AKK

Wyatts_Mommy

Service dogs

Service dogs are not only used as seeing eye dogs anymore. My husband is an Iraq veteran and he is in the process of getting a service dog for PSTD, a spinal injury and a traumatic brain injury. If you looked at him you would probably never know how severe his injuries truely are. More and more soldiers are returning from overseas with both mental and physical injuries.
If service dogs allow a person to be able to enjoy their visit to WDW then let them be.
I think peopple dont fully understand how well-trained and well-behaved a service dog really is.
These service dogs are sooo invaluable to their partner that I wish everyone could experience for just one day what the person goes through without their dog so that they could better understand.

fillerup

Service dogs are not only used as seeing eye dogs anymore. My husband is an Iraq veteran and he is in the process of getting a service dog for PSTD, a spinal injury and a traumatic brain injury. If you looked at him you would probably never know how severe his injuries truely are. More and more soldiers are returning from overseas with both mental and physical injuries.
If service dogs allow a person to be able to enjoy their visit to WDW then let them be.
I think peopple dont fully understand how well-trained and well-behaved a service dog really is.
These service dogs are sooo invaluable to their partner that I wish everyone could experience for just one day what the person goes through without their dog so that they could better understand.

God bless your husband and we all wish for him a successful recovery.

I see service animals almost every time I'm at Disney these days. They are well behaved, well trained animals and I think it's entirely appropriate that they are there if they make someone's life a little easier.

Not to mention it provides a nice opening to have a conversation with a total stranger.

Timekeeper

Original Poster

I don't think that anyone in this thread raised any issues with legitimate service dogs accompanying guests to WDW. I started this thread to inquire as to whether others have noticed the increased frequency of (what we assume to be) service dogs at WDW, or whether it was just my perception.

If 100 guests at EPCOT required that service dogs accompany them in the parks, fine. Just as if 100 guests at EPCOT required the use of ECVs, fine. But, the systems that are in place to justifiably assist those in need are often abused by others. For example, everyone here knows that sometimes fully able-bodied young adults rent ECVs at EPCOT to "race around the world" or otherwise engage in horseplay. This is particularly common among locals who - ironically - work in related entertainment park industries and visit the parks often.

Because the process of bringing a dog into the park is even easier than renting an ECV, this honor system is quite vulnerable to abuse. We would all hope that this kind of abuse does not become so commonplace (in all public areas, not just the WDW parks) that the process for those having a legitimate need for a service dog becomes any more difficult or burdensome.

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom