More Service Dogs Than Usual?

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Is it just me, or are more guests bringing service dogs into the WDW parks nowadays than before?

I used to be able to visit two or three parks in one day and never see a single dog, but lately it's not uncommon for me to come across a few dogs in a single park. And sometimes the dogs are of smaller breeds and do not display any information identifying them as a service dogs. This could confuse other guests, who are not familiar with the wide range of service dogs, as to WDW's pet policy.

But assuming that all guest dogs in the WDW parks are legitimate service dogs, I wonder why it is that we're seeing more of them lately :shrug:

disney.jpg

Pioneer Hall

Is it just me, or are more guests bringing service dogs into the WDW parks nowadays than before?

I used to be able to visit two or three parks in one day and never see a single dog, but lately it's not uncommon for me to come across a few dogs in a single park. And sometimes the dogs are of smaller breeds and do not display any information identifying them as a service dogs. This could confuse other guests, who are not familiar with the wide range of service dogs, as to WDW's pet policy.

But assuming that all guest dogs in the WDW parks are legitimate service dogs, I wonder why it is that we're seeing more of them lately :shrug:

disney.jpg

Don't know for sure, but maybe dogs are being seen as viable options for more medical conditions than they have in the past?

Timekeeper

Original Poster
I think it is a combination of a couple of things. The definition of a service dog has expanded past your typical seeing eye dog and it has become incredibly easy to get darn near any dog classified as a service animal opening up the possibility for the family pet to be able to brought everywhere.

True; dogs are even being used to treat PTSD.

Also, last I checked, CMs are trained to only inquire as to whether a guest's dog is a service dog, and are not supposed to make any additional inquiries, such as the nature of the guest's disability, or the purpose of the dog, etc. So, this creates an honor system for the guests, and therefore virtually any guest can bring in any pet dog, even if it's not a "licensed" service dog.

Pioneer Hall

True; dogs are even being used to treat PTSD.

Also, last I checked, CMs are trained to only inquire as to whether a guest's dog is a service dog, and are not supposed to make any additional inquiries, such as the nature of the guest's disability, or the purpose of the dog, etc. So, this creates an honor system for the guests, and therefore virtually any guest can bring in any pet dog, even if it's not a "licensed" service dog.

There was a thread about this not too long ago, and if I recall it got somewhat heated. You are correct though, that CM's cannot ask what the animal is for or require you to provide any proof. Yes, this does mean that people can cheat the system if they really wanted to. You would just hope that this wouldn't really be the case, but like GAC cards there will always be some people who use the system to their advantage.

Disney_Belle

When we were in WDW a couple of weeks ago we saw a set of two service dogs getting on the trams, walking around the parks. I believe they were actually in training though. There were two women walking them, 1 per dog, with treat pouches talking to them and rewarding as if they were training them.

PhilharMagician

I was shocked myself on our last visit. A yellow lab we saw one day with a family was completely nuts and trying to what seemed get away for the leash holder. Now I typically see service dogs with the short leash or handle directly off of the collar, this dog had one of those retractable leash's and it appeared that they were having problems keeping it under control. The owners unfortunately were not concerned that the dog was pushing into people and jumped up on one passer by.:brick: To me it looked like the family dog was @ WDW having fun and was by no means a truely trained service dog. If it was then the trainer should be fired!

We also saw many small dogs being carried in arms and bags. Typically a few times a day we would see these small rodent size dogs. :confused: I guess I just do not understand. Maybe on my next trip I will bring my service cat with me.:rolleyes:

I did not see any seeing eye dog/service dogs during my trip. What reasons do people have to bring these animals into the parks as service dogs?

I am all for the need and use of a service animal, but it really appears that it is becoming a family vacation that now includes the family pet. Some sense of control will need to happen or someone will show up with their service rotty and it will not be good.

I imagine the next surprise will be a nice giant doggy dump on MSUSA. :shrug:

Timekeeper

Original Poster
We also saw many small dogs being carried in arms and bags. Typically a few times a day we would see these small rodent size dogs. :confused: I guess I just do not understand. Maybe on my next trip I will bring my service cat with me.:rolleyes:

I am all for the need and use of a service animal, but it really appears that it is becoming a family vacation that now includes the family pet. Some sense of control will need to happen or someone will show up with their service rotty and it will not be good.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one noticing this.

I think that all of us support the use of legitimate service dogs by disabled persons. But so long as the system remains that of an honor system, there will always be a few bad apples who will take advantage of it rather than pay the kennel fee; just as some people will lie to the parking booth attendant about dropping off/picking up a guest rather than pay the parking fee. :(

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I was shocked myself on our last visit. A yellow lab we saw one day with a family was completely nuts and trying to what seemed get away for the leash holder. Now I typically see service dogs with the short leash or handle directly off of the collar, this dog had one of those retractable leash's and it appeared that they were having problems keeping it under control. The owners unfortunately were not concerned that the dog was pushing into people and jumped up on one passer by.:brick: To me it looked like the family dog was @ WDW having fun and was by no means a truely trained service dog. If it was then the trainer should be fired!

I did not see any seeing eye dog/service dogs during my trip. What reasons do people have to bring these animals into the parks as service dogs?

I imagine the next surprise will be a nice giant doggy dump on MSUSA. :shrug:
Because a select few are completely selfish, see their dog as a member of the family and have found a way to game the system and bring their dog everywhere. Eventually it is going to make things harder on those who truly need these animals and are actually obeying the rules.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
Just stumbled upon the site:

http://www.freemypaws.com/?gclid=CKP51YLSp6wCFYbrKgodFl244Q

I dont want to advertise for these people but they have kits to certify your pet as a service animal. I didn't know it was so easy.

As the woman states in the introductory video, there is no "official" licensing or registration of service dogs. Thus, their little "certification kits" are no different from "official spy rings" found in Cracker Jack boxes. :brick:

Kudos to them for finding a way to make money.:hurl:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
As the woman states in the introductory video, there is no "official" licensing or registration of service dogs. Thus, their little "certification kits" are no different from "official spy rings" found in Cracker Jack boxes. :brick:

Kudos to them for finding a way to make money.:hurl:
And this is the problem. Any animal can become a service animal. Spy rings in a Cracker Jack box are no big deal until you can walk right into the CIA with one.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom