More Entertainment Cutbacks

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
Source please.:rolleyes::D

B.O.? :brick:

**looking around trying to find recession - economic growth by 3.3%..No thats not it - Jobless claims dropping the past two weeks..No that not it - I'll keep looking. If I find it I'll let you know** :hammer:

RogueHabit

Haven't seen this posted yet, but there was a huge round of recent cutbacks in entertainment throughout the parks. Here's the full list (so far) by park with their last day, including some previously announced cuts.

Studios
High School Musical 2 - 9/13/08 (being replaced with HSM3 in Oct)

Sad news all around :(

Not sure you can count this one as it wasn't cut really. It was taken out to make way for the HSM3 show. The cast have to learn all the new songs, etc during the 6 week break...

The rest are sad though.

RogueHabit

B.O.? :brick:

**looking around trying to find recession - economic growth by 3.3%..No thats not it - Jobless claims dropping the past two weeks..No that not it - I'll keep looking. If I find it I'll let you know** :hammer:
Well, if you can't find it, we have one in the UK that you're welcome to.....:ROFLOL:

wannabeBelle

Calm down, everybody!

The various Main Street Citizens and DHS Streetmosphere characters are still making appearances at their respective parks. He's just choosing not to list them and their appearance times, for some reason.

If you want Steve Soares to go back to posting them on his site, the best thing for you to do would be to e-mail him and request that he do it.

If you'd like to e mail Steve that is fine, he is a very nice gentleman and I am sure would respond, however he posts the information he is given. Im sure he didnt just eliminate the information, especially as I know he is aware of at least some of these cutbacks. Belle

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
Really? You sure about that?

Yes. The numbers you saw yesterday were for the whole month of August. Two days ago they had announced that the claims for the last two weeks had dropped. The main reason for the bounce up in August is the same it is every year...college students going back to school. In six to eight weeks when the college students unemployment benefits run out and stores start hiring for the holiday season the numbers will go the other way.

Now we will return you back to your regularly scheduled thread.....

I would seriously hope that Disney has something up it's sleeve, besides cost cutting, with the cuts. I hope it means something new and wonderful is on it's way.

RiversideBunny

Put me in the strange column if you want to but I really don't know who any of those are. Been to WDW many times, of course.
Maybe we just don't stop and watch those types of shows or characters.

I think that if you see WDW cancelling any performances of Hoop-Dee-Do, one of the main signature shows, then you can definitely say that attendance is down. It's a key indicator.

:)

Ausdaddy

Yes. The numbers you saw yesterday were for the whole month of August. Two days ago they had announced that the claims for the last two weeks had dropped. The main reason for the bounce up in August is the same it is every year...college students going back to school. In six to eight weeks when the college students unemployment benefits run out and stores start hiring for the holiday season the numbers will go the other way.

Now we will return you back to your regularly scheduled thread.....

I would seriously hope that Disney has something up it's sleeve, besides cost cutting, with the cuts. I hope it means something new and wonderful is on it's way.

I don't agree with your assessment, but I agree that we should get back on topic. :wave:

Put me in the strange column if you want to but I really don't know who any of those are. Been to WDW many times, of course.

I think that if you see WDW cancelling any performances of Hoop-Dee-Do, one of the main signature shows, then you can definitely say that attendance is down. It's a key indicator.

You're not alone! I have no clue and intend to remain blissfully unaware.......:lookaroun

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member

Don't even joke about cutting Hoop-Dee-Do. :eek: I love this show!

To any Disney bean counter who even thinks about it...:fork::fork: I will fight to the death to defend my favorite corny jokes. :lol:

shoppingnut

We take the time to stop to talk to the people on main street it's really fun and only takes about 2 mins to do so, but it is so unique. We love talking to the councilman, mayor, smokey and the gossip ladies. When I was there with my nephew he had on a Georgetown shirt and the councilman told him it was very nice that his name was George and they named a town after him. He thought it was fun to stop for a few minutes.

They would never start cutbacks with the signature shows, they will cut back everything else that they think the average guest won't notice. So by the time they would get to cutting back on a signature show like the hoop-de-doo, attendance would be way way down already, we'd probably see AP room rate offers like they had in 2001-2003. They clearly are already preparing themselves, fantamic being reduced to two nights a week in January and now these.

RiversideBunny

Don't even joke about cutting Hoop-Dee-Do. :eek: I love this show!

To any Disney bean counter who even thinks about it...:fork::fork: I will fight to the death to defend my favorite corny jokes. :lol:

When we were there in November of 2001 they had cut out one of the performances of Hoop-Dee-Do, the late one I think.
They didn't cut out the whole show.

DABIGCHEEZ

Haven't seen this posted yet, but there was a huge round of recent cutbacks in entertainment throughout the parks. Here's the full list (so far) by park with their last day, including some previously announced cuts.

Magic Kingdom
MS Family Fun Day Parade - 9/27/08 (previously announced)
Woody's Cowboy Camp - 9/27/08 (previously announced)

Epcot
Spelmanns Gledje (Norway) - 8/30/08
OrisiRisi (Outpost) - 8/30/08

Studios
High School Musical 2 - 9/13/08 (being replaced with HSM3 in Oct)
Four for a Dollar - 9/20/08 (previously announced)

Animal Kingdom
Wes Palm - 8/30/08
Karuka Acrobats - 8/30/08
Inka Sikuri - 8/30/08
Pocahontas and her Forest Friends - 9/27/08 (previously announced)

Sad news all around :(

In all the years I have been going... I don't know who WES PALM is/does. Someone help please. The other acts I don't know them by name but I can figure out who they are and have seen their shows/acts and enjoyed them. Same my be true for this WES PALM... anyone care to enlighten me? Thanks.

Hopefully just seasonal cutbacks as mentioned....if not very sad. Along with info/rumor? in another thread about Disney charging for Fastpass, makes the decision to skip 09 trip even more likely. We only use fast pass a few times each trip but so not really a big deal. If these entertainment/fastpass statement are permenant and true... it is more of the idea that Disney is A) charging for something that was free and B) providing less entertainment(Fantasmic,characters doing M&Gs, and now these acts being cut) while charging guests more. Sticking it to your guests and more so repeat guests can backfire!!!

Somehow I think the magicians that create the "Magic" at WDW aren't trying too hard to make it actually disappear!!!

shoppingnut

Wes Palm is the palm tree outside the ticket gates at AK, he roams around and talks to guests, just like Push the garbage pail in MK's tomorrow land.

Brian Noble

Pay more? Get less?!! Plus, attendance has remained strong? I don't get it.
You've already answered the conundrum yourself. If people keep coming without this stuff, it's Disney's job as a profit-seeking company to get rid of it.

Attendance is declining and will continue to decline.
Evidence? The most recent quarterlies claimed that attendance was stable. Public companies get in big trouble for lying in their quarterly reports.

fosse76

Yes. The numbers you saw yesterday were for the whole month of August.

Over half a million jobs were lost this year alone. Almost every job industry was affected. I don't know what fantasy world you live in, but that doesn't mean the economy is good OR growing. The 3.3% growth was money spent by consumers as a result of the stimulus checks and HIGHER prices.

Two days ago they had announced that the claims for the last two weeks had dropped.

If you are talking about unemployment claims, you should NEVER use those as a determination of job growth (which clearly there wasn't any). You can only collect for certain amount of time, and once that time has concluded the government no longer counts you as unemployed. So if 5% of claimants were dropped (and assuming no more additional claims were filed), a report would say a 5% drop in claims...with the inference that those people found employment.

The main reason for the bounce up in August is the same it is every year...college students going back to school. In six to eight weeks when the college students unemployment benefits run out and stores start hiring for the holiday season the numbers will go the other way.

As I said above, the 3.3% increase is due MOSTLY to the stimulus checks AND higher prices. People who are gainfully employed are still spending money...but they are now paying more for everything. Business owners today don't seem to believe in the laws of supply in demand. Instead of lowering prices when demand is low, they raise prices hoping to offset the selling of less. It's a greedy world we live in. And it's our own doing.

Lucky

Out of 38 posts above I don't see any mention of the biggest cut announced: Fantasmic dropping to twice per week in a few months.

If park attendance has dropped much from last year or the year before, it's not by enough for me to tell any difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom