More darkrides needed!!! ANyone agree?

Erika

So the real challenge is getting on all seven dark rides in Disneyland, and only one of them has Fastpass. It can't be done in 90 minutes, but it could be done in a day. :lol:

Peter Pan's Flight
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Pinnochio's Daring Journey
Alice In Wonderland
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin (FASTPASS Available)
The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh

Getting to all of those in a day takes planning. Peter Pan has the longest line, followed by Alice, then Mr. Toad, and then Roger Rabbit Standby. Snow White, Pinnochio and Pooh generally have the shortest lines of 10 minutes or less on all but the busiest days. It also helps if you are a major dark ride fan. And all of this recent talk of a desire for more dark rides in WDW has surprised me, so maybe there is an audience for a few new dark rides in Florida.

:lol: Oooooooh, that does take some working out!!! That's actually really good to know, because I hope to make it to DL within the next year or so. Thanks!

CThaddeus

While we're at it, I'd like to place my vote to bring back the dark rides of EPCOT - Horizons, World of Motion, and the original version of Journey Into Imagination.

NewfieFan

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who says that ...

The Tommorrowland Indy Speedway is staying put, but Pooh's Playful Spot is slated to be replaced with a dark ride which will tie into Ariel's Grotto. Look for it in 2009.

Scott
Isn't Pooh's Playful Spot going down for refub? Now I know it's only going down for a few days so it's probably just a spit 'n polish but would Disney be doing this if they're going to tear it down soon!?! Just a question!:veryconfu And to put myself at risk here - I like Pooh's Playful Spot! Yeah, I know the majority of you do not and think it's a waste of space but it's so great for kids and (more importantly:) ) tired parents. I already posted a thread about how I like PPS and think these open play areas are important elements in all the 4 parks. But back to the original thread - yes, we need more dark rides. Just build 'em around PPS - don't tear it down!!!:animwink:

Nicole220

:lol: Oooooooh, that does take some working out!!! That's actually really good to know, because I hope to make it to DL within the next year or so. Thanks!
Another thing that might be helpful to you is that Roger Rabbit's fastpass is on a different system than all the other rides at DL. So you can have a fastpass for Roger Rabbit and one for Space at the same time. The same works for Grizzly River Rapids at DCA, it's on its own system.

Does this make sense?

Erika

Another thing that might be helpful to you is that Rodger Rabbit's fastpass is on a different system than all the other rides at DL. So you can have a fastpass for Rodger Rabbit and one for Space at the same time. The same works for Grizzly River Rapids at DCA, it's on its own system.

Does this make sense?

Verrrry interesting! Thank you!

As the time gets closer I will be spending lots of time in the DL forum. But it's all still pretty up in the air at the moment.

imagineer boy

Yes, I agree FL needs more dark rides, especially compared to DL's Fantaseyland which has Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinoccio, Alice, and Mr. Toad. But if you're going to build more, build it in the 20k lagoon. The Pooh playground is just a waste of space. Maybe they could build somthing original, like a dark ride based off of Mary Poppins which has the potential to be the most amazing dark ride ever.

I don't think they should get rid of the speedway. Retheme it! Have it change to "Cosmic Highway" with futuristic theming and electric cars.

CThaddeus

Isn't Pooh's Playful Spot going down for refub? Now I know it's only going down for a few days so it's probably just a spit 'n polish but would Disney be doing this if they're going to tear it down soon!?! Just a question!:veryconfu And to put myself at risk here - I like Pooh's Playful Spot! Yeah, I know the majority of you do not and think it's a waste of space but it's so great for kids and (more importantly:) ) tired parents. I already posted a thread about how I like PPS and think these open play areas are important elements in all the 4 parks. But back to the original thread - yes, we need more dark rides. Just build 'em around PPS - don't tear it down!!!:animwink:

The main problem I have with Pooh's Playful Spot is that it REALLY wasn't necessary. Just a few steps to the left is Ariel's Grotto, which has a playground for kids. Also, just a few steps to its right is Toontown, which has Toontown Park, Donald's Boat, etc. I find it kind of lame that they have as many dark rides in Fantasyland as they have playlands (I consider Toontown a part of Fantasyland, even though they call it its own Land). If they really thought they needed more play areas, they should have expanded Ariel's Grotto a bit, or even Toontown. PPS just strikes me as the ultimate in laziness and cheapness on Disney's part. They're wasting a ton of prime space with something that wasn't needed.

NewfieFan

The main problem I have with Pooh's Playful Spot is that it REALLY wasn't necessary. Just a few steps to the left is Ariel's Grotto, which has a playground for kids. Also, just a few steps to its right is Toontown, which has Toontown Park, Donald's Boat, etc. I find it kind of lame that they have as many dark rides in Fantasyland as they have playlands (I consider Toontown a part of Fantasyland, even though they call it its own Land). If they really thought they needed more play areas, they should have expanded Ariel's Grotto a bit, or even Toontown. PPS just strikes me as the ultimate in laziness and cheapness on Disney's part. They're wasting a ton of prime space with something that wasn't needed.
ohhhh, I love a good discussion!!!:animwink: Well first of all, Toontown park was under a tarp when I was there and Ariel's Grotto and Donald's Boat are very limited play areas where you get wet. Now I agree with you that they could expand AG or TP but they haven't. My question to you would be do you have small kids? I can totally understand why someone without young children (or none at all) would find this area a bit of a bore (or a waste of space as you put it). But lets look at it from my point of view for a second shall we... You're in the MK with two children, a 3 year old and a 16 month old (who by the way is strapped in a stroller for a good chuck of the day). You're tired, you're hot and so are your darling children. You come across PPS, your 3 year old runs and laughs while playing with other children and your 16 month old is set free to strech her legs for a moment (she squeals with delight). You find a lovely bench (which they have alot of in PPS) and sit down while your children have some "free play time". Frankly I thought the place was heavenly! I agree that the MK needs another ride (a dark ride) sometime in the near future. But while I have kids (at least small kids) I don't think you're going to convince me that PPS is a waste of space. I just like that cute little playground too much!
OK, your turn - GO!:wave:

Greenlawler

I have always said there needs to be a dark ride that captures elements of a lot of the unrefrenced Disney films. There are plenty of referals in the parks to movies like Aladin, Alice, Little Mermiad, Lion King etc...

A ride featuring scenes from Robin Hood, Rescuers, Black Cauldron, Treasure Planet, Atlantis, and others would be awesome especialy if it were done like the dark ride element in Splash Mountain using video and animatronics. This could be done either with sorcerer Mickey, or Merlin or even a Kingdom Hearts type scenario. With the villans trying to change the endings to these movies.

CThaddeus

ohhhh, I love a good discussion!!!:animwink: Well first of all, Toontown park was under a tarp when I was there and Ariel's Grotto and Donald's Boat are very limited play areas where you get wet. Now I agree with you that they could expand AG or TP but they haven't. My question to you would be do you have small kids? I can totally understand why someone without young children (or none at all) would find this area a bit of a bore (or a waste of space as you put it). But lets look at it from my point of view for a second shall we... You're in the MK with two children, a 3 year old and a 16 month old (who by the way is strapped in a stroller for a good chuck of the day). You're tired, you're hot and so are your darling children. You come across PPS, your 3 year old runs and laughs while playing with other children and your 16 month old is set free to strech her legs for a moment (she squeals with delight). You find a lovely bench (which they have alot of in PPS) and sit down while your children have some "free play time". Frankly I thought the place was heavenly! I agree that the MK needs another ride (a dark ride) sometime in the near future. But while I have kids (at least small kids) I don't think you're going to convince me that PPS is a waste of space. I just like that cute little playground too much!
OK, your turn - GO!:wave:

First, no, I don't have any kids. I'm a big enough kid already.
Second, I have gone with kids - ages 6 and 9. Neither one cared much for PPS, saying there wasn't much to do (I agree. Too much space devoted to so little to play on). They were much more into Toontown, which admittedly wasn't going through a rehab at the time.
Third, the Magic Kingdom already has the best possible place in the world for all of the things you've mentioned you like about PPS - Tom Sawyer Island. It has benches galore, shade, caves, a fort, and tons of running space. And, it, too, is not that far away from Fantasyland. PPS can't hold a candle to this beautiful place. Perhaps your children are a little young yet to be set free on the Island, but again, that's why there's Toontown and its Park.
Fourth, it doesn't really match Walt's criteria of what he wanted the Parks to be about - a place where a daddy could take his two daughters and have a little fun, too. Not just a place where he would have to sit on a bench. PPS has nothing for a parent, teen, or older child to do besides sit on the old bench or chase down the kids.
Fifth, I don't expect to change your opinion. I'm just stating mine. To me, it truly is a waste of prime real estate in a Park that should have more family-style attractions. How many adults/teens without small children are going to bother with PPS? While they might visit Dumbo, The Carousel, Tom Sawyer's Island, or even Toontown (as I do), they'll probably never even want to enter PPS. That's a huge chunk of people visiting the Park who have zero interest in it. Again, an expansion of one of the two neighboring playgrounds that already existed makes more sense to me than to create yet another one. Don't three playgrounds in a row seem a bit like overkill?
In the meantime, please enjoy PPS. I wish I had some use for it, but there's nothing there for this big kid to do...except wish it were something else.

landauh

I 100% agree! Bringon the Dark Rides!!! Even when I was a little kid I was never a big fan of the Indy speedway. What does that have to do with tomorrowland anyway?

A little history will explain why IS is in TL.

When DL opened in 1955 there were three Autopias: A Mini version (had a track like IS) in FL next to Storybookland. A Junior version between FL and TL and the main version (no track, just curbs) in TL. TL was built to represent the current (1955) version of the future (1984) and super highways were still considered something for the future.

When WDW opened only the Mini (soon to go away) and fullscale versions were left in DL (the Highway of the future was now the Monorail). MK was designed on a similar footprint as DL and therefore IS was put in TL.

History lesson over.

NewfieFan

"Third, the Magic Kingdom already has the best possible place in the world for all of the things you've mentioned you like about PPS - Tom Sawyer Island. It has benches galore, shade, caves, a fort, and tons of running space. And, it, too, is not that far away from Fantasyland. PPS can't hold a candle to this beautiful place. Perhaps your children are a little young yet to be set free on the Island, but again, that's why there's Toontown and its Park."

Yeah, my kids are too young to be set free on TSI but I'm sure in a few years I'll be singing it's praises.

"Fourth, it doesn't really match Walt's criteria of what he wanted the Parks to be about - a place where a daddy could take his two daughters and have a little fun, too. Not just a place where he would have to sit on a bench. PPS has nothing for a parent, teen, or older child to do besides sit on the old bench or chase down the kids."

Yes I agree with you here. I know PPS doesn't interest anyone else besides for young kids and parents. And yes I said parents - sitting on a bence is not just sitting on an old bence when you're watching your children have fun.

"Fifth, I don't expect to change your opinion. I'm just stating mine. To me, it truly is a waste of prime real estate in a Park that should have more family-style attractions. How many adults/teens without small children are going to bother with PPS? While they might visit Dumbo, The Carousel, Tom Sawyer's Island, or even Toontown (as I do), they'll probably never even want to enter PPS. That's a huge chunk of people visiting the Park who have zero interest in it. Again, an expansion of one of the two neighboring playgrounds that already existed makes more sense to me than to create yet another one. Don't three playgrounds in a row seem a bit like overkill?"

I know you don't expect to change my opinion, I was just saying that you or anybody else wasn't going to change my mind on PPS right now. Not everything in the parks is going to appeal to every age group all the time. Now that being said Disney has alot of attractions/shows that do entertain everyone from a child right up to an old folk. And this is what makes Disney, well Disney, it's what makes it special. You're preaching to the converted here, I'd love to see more family style attractions as well! PPS is what it is, a playground designed for young children. They have other attractions/shows that only appeal to certain age groups. The Playhouse Disney Show is only intended for preschoolers in MGM (or should I say DHS).

Yes, maybe three playgrounds is too much. Maybe if they expend the park in Toontown I'll let you tear down my PPS!:animwink:

Now back to the original point of this thread... what was it again... oh yeah, more dark rides. Bring 'em on just don't build them on PPS (small joke, relax)!:ROFLOL:

PeoplemoverTTA

They have other attractions/shows that only appeal to certain age groups. The Playhouse Disney Show is only intended for preschoolers in MGM (or should I say DHS).

[My bolding] I understand both sides to this, but I think the word "appeal" is key. Playhouse Disney appeals to preschoolers; however, anyone can enjoy it (such as myself...I'm a 26-year old female who does not have kids).

PPS can only be enjoyed by a certain age group. It's not that it appeals just to them, it is that literally, no one but small children can enjoy it. Tom Sawyer Island, Toontown....these are all places some may consider geared toward children, but still, everyone can enjoy those places. PPS excludes many guests, as CThaddeus stated.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled program...just thought I'd chime in a bit. :wave:

JimboJones123

Yes, I agree FL needs more dark rides, especially compared to DL's Fantaseyland which has Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinoccio, Alice, and Mr. Toad. But if you're going to build more, build it in the 20k lagoon. The Pooh playground is just a waste of space. Maybe they could build somthing original, like a dark ride based off of Mary Poppins which has the potential to be the most amazing dark ride ever.

I don't think they should get rid of the speedway. Retheme it! Have it change to "Cosmic Highway" with futuristic theming and electric cars.
DL is more to blame than anything else to why WDW doesn't get the dark rides. When WDW has come up with a smash dark ride, Pooh/Buzz, DL has jumped right on board and picked up both.

Only problem is that at DL there is an oversaturation of dark rides. Because of this the demand for dark rides at DL is very low. They don't see anywhere near the waits at DL as WDW for these rides. But DL has more that 2x the number of attractions.

But because the buzz for new Dark Rides at DL has fallen flat and not as popular as their WDW counterparts, it is becoming more and more the company view that Dark Rides aren't as "hip" as they once were.

Monsters Inc. at DCA may be one of the last traditional Dark Rides we see. It again isn't as popular as management expected, but then again, how many Dark Ride experiences are within a few football fields of eachother at the DLR?

Epcot used to be filled with Dark Rides, but they failed. Were some good rides? Yes! Better than ones left behind? Yes agian! But they also found that diversification lead to better balance through the park. Because you can still find a half dozen traditional Dark Rides easily on property, I don't think you will see the simple Dark Ride return again. Thus evident in the Toy Story Mania. Nemo may be the closest that WDW sees again to a new Dark Ride. So don't get your hopes up for the Little Mermaid Ride to come. It may just be too dated before it ever gets started.

twasbrillig

the dark rides are amazing. I still sorely miss mr. toad's wild ride and horizons at epcot, which was infinitely better than mission: space that came after it.

jt04

SE to be new Horizons?

the dark rides are amazing. I still sorely miss mr. toad's wild ride and horizons at epcot, which was infinitely better than mission: space that came after it.

Mission:Space is infinitely better than Horizons, literally. There was never a wait any more for Horizons after it's technology became so stale. Soarin is an update on the best part of Horizons and SE will make up for the ending of the original Horizons (I think). Although I wouldn't mind if they removed the Energy stuff and put a new state of the art version of Horizons in that building. Sort of a Horizons II if you will. The new SE might be Horizons II though. We have to wait and see when it reopens. It will be interesting.

twasbrillig

" The new SE might be Horizons II though. We have to wait and see when it reopens. It will be interesting."

soo are they actually changing SE, or is it just a refurbishment? I love SE as it is...I must admit, I am a bit conservative when it comes to the Disney parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom