More darkrides needed!!! ANyone agree?

Vernonpush

Well, if they moved the Indy Speedway to DHS with a Cars overlay (electric of course, Disney is going green and put it in the Backlot Tour space (behind Pixar Place) then that would be a good thing. The "children driving cars" can be found in any Amusement Park in America (Six Flags), but having them stopped in Catastrophe Canyon as they they drive their Car (the Movie), would be priceless. They could also snap your picture as you're experiencing Catastrophe Canyon and sell it to you at the end of the ride. :lol: :shrug:
That would free up alot of land in the MK for some great dark rides.
Of course the transition between Toon Town and Tomorrowland would be hard to fill (too bad they already did Stitch's Great Mistake).

Mikieboy84

I actually like the speedway (although i prefer to refer to it as the Grand Prix raceway, same as I like to call the TTA the WEDway peoplemover)

However, I am in full agreement that there are not enough dark rides. Toontown should DEFINITELY have one featuring Mickey, Donald, Huey Dewey Louie, etc.

And if anything shoud go it's the meet and greet area where 20,000 leagues used to be, but honestly with all that property there has to be a way to add dark rides without removing anything.

My votes for dark rides:

Sleeping Beauty (of course)
Cinderella
Alice
Pinocchio
and maybe a Villain Dark Ride!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
And now............
/.../
LET THERE BE LIGHT!!!:D
That was one cool dark ride!:sohappy:

I actually like the speedway (although i prefer to refer to it as the Grand Prix raceway, same as I like to call the TTA the WEDway peoplemover)

However, I am in full agreement that there are not enough dark rides. Toontown should DEFINITELY have one featuring Mickey, Donald, Huey Dewey Louie, etc.

And if anything shoud go it's the meet and greet area where 20,000 leagues used to be, but honestly with all that property there has to be a way to add dark rides without removing anything.

My votes for dark rides:

Sleeping Beauty (of course)
Cinderella
Alice
Pinocchio
and maybe a Villain Dark Ride!
Let's not forget Mary Poppins. :wave:

yeti

.....but Toontown is lacking as well.....

What "Toontown" really lacks is the overall theme of its Disneyland (suposedly) duplicate. Disneyland's was themed as an actual town for toons, being loosely based on Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, whereas WDW's Toontown fair is just the tacky remnants of the former "Mickey's Birthdayland". Even though they have no intention of doing this, it would be great if they could MAYBE give this terribly-themed circus a makeover. Or MAYBE the Tomorrowland Indy Waste-of-space could partially become a Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin? God, I love that ride. :rolleyes:

Other than that, Alice in Wonderland would be great.

TP2000

As someone who grew up going to Disneyland, that was one of the first things I noticed on my first trip to WDW's Magic Kingdom.... where are all the dark rides? My first visit to WDW was pre-internet age and I really didn't know what to expect. It was very surprising to see how different Fantasyland was in Florida, and how few rides there were there in that land that I consider the heart of Disneyland.

Disneyland has seven dark rides; Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Snow White, Pinnochio, Alice In Wonderland, Roger Rabbit, and Winnie The Pooh. Then right next door at DCA is Monsters Inc., for a total of eight dark rides at the Disneyland Resort.

Magic Kingdom only has three; Peter Pan, Snow White and Pooh. And none of the other WDW parks have classic Walt Disney style dark rides to offer either. There's just those three in all of the sprawling WDW property. What's up with that?:confused:

But then you look at the other Disneyland style parks around the world and its the same way, sometimes even less. Tokyo Disneyland has three dark rides; Peter Pan, Pinnochio and Snow White. (Tokyo's Pooh ride is an amazing E Ticket type experience, and couldn't be considered a mere dark ride.) Paris has three dark rides too; Peter Pan, Pinnochio and Snow White. And poor Hong Kong only has one dark ride; Winnie The Pooh.

So overall, looking at this globally and not just the typical Disneyland Vs. WDW thing, perhaps its best to just think of Disneyland USA as a weird aberration when it comes to its eight excellent dark rides?

Although it is odd that they haven't tried to add at least one or two more dark rides for Florida, and Tokyo too. Although after my last two visits to WDW, it would likely be best if they just tried to spiff up the dark rides they already have. Snow White was very cheesy and run down, and Peter Pan had clearly seen better days and was stuck in the 1970's. The amazing part about Tokyo Disneyland's dark rides was that they were 1982 remakes of the 1971 WDW versions of the rides. Tokyo was also stuck in the 1970's, but their maintenance and upkeep was top-notch and nothing looked decayed or neglected; it was just a time warp back to 1971 in perfect condition. So that proves that maintenance and TLC is possible, if you really want to offer that to your customers and you think they are worth it. Tokyo Disneyland clearly thinks their customers are worth that.

If they just updated the WDW technology with the Disneyland-versions of fiber optics and digital sound and lots of TLC, the old dark rides that WDW does have could look a whole lot better. Plus, an extra dark ride or two somewhere on that sprawling WDW complex would likely entertain a lot of visitors each day.

Since1976

Dark rides are the bread and butter of WDW. The more the better!

WDW has spoiled me to the degree that whenever I go to an amusement park for the first time, I check to see if they have any dark rides. Of course, most don't.

Scooter

The speedway is as much as a classic for WDW as Small World is.
There's always a long wait to ride it.
Some of you are thinking like adults.
Try to picture it through a childs eyes and you might think differantly.

Sometimes I just stand and watch the expressions on the childrens faces when they're riding in these cars and it's just magical. All the parents lined up with their cameras taking pictures of their kiddies is adorable as well.

While I would update this attraction and make it more eco friendly, I say leave it for future genrations to enjoy and build your dark rides somewhere else.

Mikieboy84

The speedway is as much as a classic for WDW as Small World is.
There's always a long wait to ride it.
Some of you are thinking like adults.
Try to picture it through a childs eyes and you might think differantly.

Sometimes I just stand and watch the expressions on the childrens faces when they're riding in these cars and it's just magical. All the parents lined up with their cameras taking pictures of their kiddies is adorable as well.

While I would update this attraction and make it more eco friendly, I say leave it for future genrations to enjoy and build your dark rides somewhere else.

Gotta admit i agree. Im all for LOTS more dark rides but I think the speedway is classic as well.

sublimesting

Original Poster
OK, seems like alot of people like the speedway. I personally have never seen it being crowded (altough I appear to be wrong) and as such thought it took up alot of space and made alot of pollution. It seemed, to me, to be an ideal location for more dark rides as it borders Fantasyland and Toontown.

MrToad1

I 100% agree! Bringon the Dark Rides!!! Even when I was a little kid I was never a big fan of the Indy speedway. What does that have to do with tomorrowland anyway?

Scott M

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who says that ...

The Tommorrowland Indy Speedway is staying put, but Pooh's Playful Spot is slated to be replaced with a dark ride which will tie into Ariel's Grotto. Look for it in 2009.

Scott

sublimesting

Original Poster
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who says that ...

The Tommorrowland Indy Speedway is staying put, but Pooh's Playful Spot is slated to be replaced with a dark ride which will tie into Ariel's Grotto. Look for it in 2009.

Scott
I wish, but doubt they'd do a Little Mermaid darkride since they did the show at MGM. Disney really wastes areas and money with stupid stuff.

Erika

I think a lot of people do consider the Speedway a classic and would hate to see it go.

Personally, I was never a big fan. IMO dark rides are the bread & butter of the Magic Kingdom and I'd bypass every other ride in the park to get them all in!

TP2000

IMO dark rides are the bread & butter of the Magic Kingdom and I'd bypass every other ride in the park to get them all in!

There's only three (3) dark rides at the Magic Kingdom, and two (2) have Fastpass. As long as you are going to be in the park for more than 90 minutes or so, how could it ever be a struggle to get them all in? :confused:

Mikieboy84

Scott

That would be a dream, I never understood why they didn't do that in the forst place it was the perfect setup with the lagoon (aside from the leaks etc...)

Enigma

Account Suspended
I wish, but doubt they'd do a Little Mermaid darkride since they did the show at MGM. Disney really wastes areas and money with stupid stuff.

Actually a Little Mermaid attraction IS slated for Magic Kingdom. It will be a clone of the ride that is soon to be announced for DCA in california. Al Lutz has some more info on it in his latest update.

Dragonrider1227

I'll take Alice and Pinnochio over the Tommorowland Indy Speedway. I mean, I rode it once, I enjoyed it, but I have no real desire to ride it again

Erika

There's only three (3) dark rides at the Magic Kingdom, and two (2) have Fastpass. As long as you are going to be in the park for more than 90 minutes or so, how could it ever be a struggle to get them all in? :confused:

If I only had a half hour? :shrug:

It's really not that dire a situation; I am just making the point that they are at the top of my list. :lol: You put a lot more thought into my post than I did :D

TP2000

If I only had a half hour? :shrug:

It's really not that dire a situation; I am just making the point that they are at the top of my list. :lol: You put a lot more thought into my post than I did :D

So the real challenge is getting on all seven dark rides in Disneyland, and only one of them has Fastpass. It can't be done in 90 minutes, but it could be done in a day. :lol:

Peter Pan's Flight
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Pinnochio's Daring Journey
Alice In Wonderland
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin (FASTPASS Available)
The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh

Getting to all of those in a day takes planning. Peter Pan has the longest line, followed by Alice, then Mr. Toad, and then Roger Rabbit Standby. Snow White, Pinnochio and Pooh generally have the shortest lines of 10 minutes or less on all but the busiest days. It also helps if you are a major dark ride fan. And all of this recent talk of a desire for more dark rides in WDW has surprised me, so maybe there is an audience for a few new dark rides in Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom