More closures confirmed for Disney's Hollywood Studios

note2001

We also know a refurbished Pizza Planet will be opening by the end of the year so they aren't going to remove that building even if Muppets closed. Star Tours (if it stays Star Tours) is going to be separated from SWL at DL but they didn't have much choice there.

Maybe they'll change up Star Tours so it will drop us off at SWL, Harry Potter style. :) (j/k, would be fun though.)

Tony the Tigger

Right, no one pays $100 for DHS, typically. But that doesn't make it okay for us to be charged "full price" for a ticket or park hopper, still. I'd hope you realize those prices are based on entrance to each of the four parks, including a fully-functioning DHS. If the park is operating FAR below typical operating capacity and attraction offering, then I don't get why ticket prices should be the same. A diminished experience at DHS means a diminished experience at all other parks as guests flee the "quarter day" DHS and head to another park, namely MK.

I get that this construction will EVENTUALLY improve the DHS experience, but it doesn't change the fact that it MAJORLY impacts guests right now.

It's frustrating. It seems to convey, if not disdain, then at least disregard for guest experience. I want it to be different, but I fear those days are gone. Hopefully I'm wrong?

I don't disagree that discounting ticket prices would be reasonable. Maybe they'll run some extra good specials in the meantime.

Ralphlaw

Studios was never a complete day park for us, but looking at today's wait times shows that the park hasn't reached a level of irrelevance: One hour waits for Star Tours, Rock and Roller, and Tower of Terror. 2 hours for Midway mania. Fantasmic is still a great night-time show, and the new Star Wars fireworks (which will only get better) keep people around into the evening even longer. Meanwhile, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Indy, Muppet, Movie Ride, and the other walk through attractions can keep you busy.

No, it doesn't have the number of second level attractions like Magic Kingdom (Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, Winnie the Pooh, Jungle Cruise), and it doesn't have the sheer size, food and walking areas like Epcot, but it's certainly on a par in many ways with Animal Kingdom. Similarly, AK is in building-new-attraction mode as well. Coincidence?

Face it, Studios was always kind of a hodgepodge anyway, with attractions slapped hither and yon. Earful tower was invisible through much of the park, and the long walk to Lights Motor Action a real pain if you're hauling younger kids or the temp is north of 90 degrees. There's also bottle necks for traffic all over, (like by Star Tours). It's getting improvements, and that takes time. No magic wand can be waved to tear down and rebuild the place overnight. The analysis is that the park needed improvements, and now it's doing them. In the meantime, it's still an amazing place with long waits for 4 of the headline attractions, and lots of other stuff to do. Let's think about what wonders are coming, which is the key to surviving any remodeling project. It's fun to speculate what exactly will happen, and it's healthy to be nostalgic about what's disappearing. But constant negativity from some in the boards is truly tiring and makes me think that some people are just in a constant state of belly-aching about everything in their lives. Hopefully I'm wrong about that last bit.

*Q*

Star Tours (if it stays Star Tours) is going to be separated from SWL at DL but they didn't have much choice there.

Do we know that for sure? I've wondered if they might relocate it. I think it'd be relatively easy to move the simulators. I don't think the attraction has a terribly large footprint, and maybe it'd even allow them to add a couple more simulators for capacity. Build a whole new experience around it, with new ridefilm segments that matches the spaceport that's part of Star Wars Land, etc. Maybe do the Hogwarts Express trick where you get on in one place (in Disneyland) and get off in another (Star Wars planet). Then that also open up that plot for something new in Tomorrowland.

ToTBellHop

Do we know that for sure? I've wondered if they might relocate it. I think it'd be relatively easy to move the simulators. I don't think the attraction has a terribly large footprint, and maybe it'd even allow them to add a couple more simulators for capacity. Build a whole new experience around it, with new ridefilm segments that matches the spaceport that's part of Star Wars Land, etc. Maybe do the Hogwarts Express trick where you get on in one place (in Disneyland) and get off in another (Star Wars planet). Then that also open up that plot for something new in Tomorrowland.
The plan originally wasn't to move it. Who knows now...

raven

On topic. Got'cha...

I just realized they're going to scrap the LMA stands. :bawling: I have so many memories from them (backaches, overheating, freezing) Someone please tell me they're moving them to Disney Springs.

(j/k) ;)
No but I have a feeling Earful tower is headed that way. Stands would be good for ROL construction at DAK.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
They raised their own bar on level of service. Can't help it if guests expect that now.

International guests, guests who are going on their first trip, guests who are on vacation from outside of the state. There's more to WDW guests than locals. Even with Hopper Passes you are still paying more money than any other theme park in the world.

My point is, and I will say it again, they have forgone "show" and the usual Disney magic at DHS. It's quite evident to a lot of people on these boards and inside the park. Current Star Wars offerings could be gathered to one side of the park, construction of both Toy Story & Star Wars didn't have to happen at the exact same time.

The major rides are what most guests look for, LMA and BLT were the two in that area that close with BLT having closed about a year ago. The rest is a QS dining, a playground and shops with the SoA being a path to them.

Placing walls up and removing the attraction and dining locations from the map will give the average guest the impression that there is construction in those areas, that doesn't diminish service.

BTW, I am not local but always understand construction and closures are necessary for the upgrades so badly needed. I will greatly miss the Spectacle of Lights, they have been a part of my family for close to 30 years from Little Rock to Orlando.

Ransom

Sorry to see the Writers Stop closing - could always get a very quick snack there and there was never a wait line that amounted to anything.

Since we don't have official word that Writers Stop is closing, I'm holding out hope that it won't be. Specifically, that they'll open up the backstage area between Pixar Place and Writers Stop so that neither location becomes a dead end during construction (and so that Writers Stop stays open).

Disneydreamer23

my DH loves LMA he will be sad , My daughter loves Monsters Inc and Playground she will be sad. Looks like this will be an in and out park next time since there is 3 things my 2 year old can do. :(

jessfriends

Since we don't have official word that Writers Stop is closing, I'm holding out hope that it won't be. Specifically, that they'll open up the backstage area between Pixar Place and Writers Stop so that neither location becomes a dead end during construction (and so that Writers Stop stays open).

According to the news announcement on the homepage it's closing.

"Disney announced earlier today that Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show will be closing on April 2 2016, and now more closures are confirmed.

Scheduled to close with the Stunt Show on April 2 2016 are:

• Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure playground
  • Monsters Inc. character meet and greet
  • Writer's Stop
  • Watto's Grotto
  • Studio Catering Co.
The 130ft Earfell Tower, which served as the parks original icon, will also be removed as part of the work on the back of the park."

Next Big Thing

That's really not a ton of closures. Meet and greets can easily be relocated and I'm under the impression the Monsters meet will reopen elsewhere (but don't quote me on that). The Cars meet shouldn't be hard to put somewhere else too. Phineas and Ferb aren't even on TV anymore, do we really need a meet and greet for them? It was rarely, if ever, busy. A loss of a play area is no big deal, nothing went on usually in the Premiere Theater, the Sunset Showcase area has already replaced that, I don't know what you're talking about with Al's Toy Barn, didn't that close years ago? The Backlot has been closed for a while too and I don't think it's really that much of a loss, the SoA just confused and disappointed most guests other than the holiday period. LMA is the only real loss here and I'm sure it will be worth it for the new lands.

What would you rather they did? Closed nothing and just continued as normal? Build Toy Story Land before they start Star Wars? We'd be waiting about 10 years for Star Wars if they did that.
They have new land to put M&G's on where the Dance Part is back behind RNRC. Much like when Cars M&G was next to Premiere Theatre, they could easily relocate to over there or put the Monsters inc M&G there.

ULPO46

What's funny about this whole thing is that I was talking about this back before the official announcement came out. It was the only logical way they could build these massive two lands. The thing that bothers me the most is at this point why did they have to swallow up half of the park to accomplish this goal. I understand an entire land but half the park is starting to push it. Even if LCA was not the most popular show out there, it was a big people swallower. Don't get me wrong I love Star Wars but the plans so far for what Disney wants to build don't have me thrilled. My problem is that we could have built everything without taking so much space. I get that things like the water tower are there really only for show or props but at this point it's becoming as if eventually even the very same Hollywood themed entrance will leave. Disney has become so cheap that they are building a new theme park out of one that was already there and will charge customers full price to visit a construction site. I don't want to sound like a party pooper but as an employee it makes me furious because I always think about what my guest would think not how much money I can hook out of your wallet.

Jon81uk

What's funny about this whole thing is that I was talking about this back before the official announcement came out. It was the only logical way they could build these massive two lands. The thing that bothers me the most is at this point why did they have to swallow up half of the park to accomplish this goal. I understand an entire land but half the park is starting to push it. Even if LCA was not the most popular show out there, it was a big people swallower. Don't get me wrong I love Star Wars but the plans so far for what Disney wants to build don't have me thrilled. My problem is that we could have built everything without taking so much space. I get that things like the water tower are there really only for show or props but at this point it's becoming as if eventually even the very same Hollywood themed entrance will leave. Disney has become so cheap that they are building a new theme park out of one that was already there and will charge customers full price to visit a construction site. I don't want to sound like a party pooper but as an employee it makes me furious because I always think about what my guest would think not how much money I can hook out of your wallet.

They are not closing half the park! One large show is closing, a ride has already closed and a playground and two QS food places are closing.
Yes a lot of space will be closing, but no-one went to SoA just to walk, they were all heading to a specific attraction!

FigmentForver96

There is nothing cheap about what they are doing to Hollywood Studios. When they are done they might as well have built another park.

raven

Disney has become so cheap that they are building a new theme park out of one that was already there and will charge customers full price to visit a construction site. I don't want to sound like a party pooper but as an employee it makes me furious because I always think about what my guest would think not how much money I can hook out of your wallet.
I've heard this from many CM's so you aren't the only one who is saddened by it.

There is nothing cheap about what they are doing to Hollywood Studios. When they are done they might as well have built another park.

I think that it the point. Instead of taking away like they always do, they actually need to build more. Walt called it "plussing" but all that they've been doing now is replacing.

If they could've built a new park then why don't they?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom