More closures confirmed for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Tony the Tigger

But does it need to happen all at once? Building Star Wars AND Toy Story at the same time, slicing the parks offerings down to a few hours of entertainment while still charging $100 per person?

Good things to come down the road? Yes. But at the expense of ****ing off the guests who are visiting the park now? I don't understand.

What percentage of guests pay $100 to get into Hollywood studios versus what percentage of guests have park hoppers or annual passes and so Hollywood studios as a park is just part of the package?

Ignohippo

But does it need to happen all at once? Building Star Wars AND Toy Story at the same time, slicing the parks offerings down to a few hours of entertainment while still charging $100 per person?

Good things to come down the road? Yes. But at the expense of ****ing off the guests who are visiting the park now? I don't understand.

I agree, but Toy Story Land is basically being built on land backstage (besides the Backlot Tour, which needed to be replaced 10 years ago), so that's no loss.

Star Wars should have happened a year ago and we all know why that is being fasttracked.

The closing of LMA and SoA is the thing that removes an enormous chunk of the park and the thing, at least from what I understood of the changes, that makes absolutely no sense. IMO, keeping these areas open while TS and SW are being built is a must if they want to charge full price.

Unless Star Wars is going to be built back where LMA and SoA were (which isn't at all what I know to be true, but these closings have me seriously wondering), you are looking at the potential of more than half the park closed in a year:
- Backlot
- LMA
- SoA
- Premiere Theater
- Studio Catering Co
- Al's Toy Barn
- HISTK Play Area
- Monsters, P&F, Cars meet & greets

Then, if my source(s) are correct:
- Frozen Ever After
- Indy Stunt Show
- Backlot Catering
- Hollywood & Vine
- 50s Prime Time
- Little Mermaid

Oh, and don't be surprised if the ABC Commicery is closed as well.

And at some point, Toy Story Midway Mania is going to have to close for a few months, in order to adapt the queue to the new track and entrance.

So, there could easily be a time where the only attractions open are:
- Star Tours (which I could see being open throughout the entire construction, since the only changes will be to the facade)
- Launch Bay
- Playhouse Disney
- RnR Coaster
- Tower Of Terror
- Muppets (sounds to me like they are quickly making this a mini-land in order to be some kind of a draw while everything else is closed)

And the only restaurants would be:
- Sci-fi
- Muppets (Pizza Planet)
- Mama Melrose
- Brown Derby
- the Sunset outdoor court

OUCH!! Would they really do that?! I guess they did it at DCA, so....

Jon81uk

the closing of LMA and SoA is the thing that removes an enormous chunk of the park and the thing, at least from what I understood of the changes, that makes absolutely no sense. IMO, keeping these areas open while TS and SW are being built is a must if they want to charge full price.

But closing SoA only removes two attractions, LMA and HISTKMSA. The streets themselves are only an attraction for two months of the year when Osborne lights were on. It's not like Universal Hollywood where you are going through actual sets where Back to Future, Dracula and countless other films were recorded and still are. I expect losing SoA is not an issue to 90% of guests, more people will miss the HISTK playground.

Ignohippo

But closing SoA only removes two attractions, LMA and HISTKMSA. The streets themselves are only an attraction for two months of the year when Osborne lights were on. It's not like Universal Hollywood where you are going through actual sets where Back to Future, Dracula and countless other films were recorded and still are. I expect losing SoA is not an issue to 90% of guests, more people will miss the HISTK playground.

Considering what a huge amount of the park it includes, I think it's a much bigger deal than you believe. You're talking about the entire back half of the park being closed now.

Jon81uk

Considering what a huge amount of the park it includes, I think it's a much bigger deal than you believe. You're talking about the entire back half of the park being closed now.
But only two attractions are closing. The main issue will be that Muppets and Toy Story Mania are dead ends, making getting in and out of those two spaces harder. So the park might feel more crowded in parts due to access issues, but I don't think that many people actually spent that much time wandering round the streets without being on their way to another attraction.

wdrive

Unless Star Wars is going to be built back where LMA and SoA were (which isn't at all what I know to be true, but these closings have me seriously wondering), you are looking at the potential of more than half the park closed in a year:
- Backlot
- LMA
- SoA
- Premiere Theater
- Studio Catering Co
- Al's Toy Barn
- HISTK Play Area
- Monsters, P&F, Cars meet & greets

That's really not a ton of closures. Meet and greets can easily be relocated and I'm under the impression the Monsters meet will reopen elsewhere (but don't quote me on that). The Cars meet shouldn't be hard to put somewhere else too. Phineas and Ferb aren't even on TV anymore, do we really need a meet and greet for them? It was rarely, if ever, busy. A loss of a play area is no big deal, nothing went on usually in the Premiere Theater, the Sunset Showcase area has already replaced that, I don't know what you're talking about with Al's Toy Barn, didn't that close years ago? The Backlot has been closed for a while too and I don't think it's really that much of a loss, the SoA just confused and disappointed most guests other than the holiday period. LMA is the only real loss here and I'm sure it will be worth it for the new lands.

What would you rather they did? Closed nothing and just continued as normal? Build Toy Story Land before they start Star Wars? We'd be waiting about 10 years for Star Wars if they did that.

Last edited:

raven

I disagree. It's not reasonable to expect that standard with such level of construction underway.

They raised their own bar on level of service. Can't help it if guests expect that now.

What percentage of guests pay $100 to get into Hollywood studios versus what percentage of guests have park hoppers or annual passes and so Hollywood studios as a park is just part of the package?

International guests, guests who are going on their first trip, guests who are on vacation from outside of the state. There's more to WDW guests than locals. Even with Hopper Passes you are still paying more money than any other theme park in the world.

My point is, and I will say it again, they have forgone "show" and the usual Disney magic at DHS. It's quite evident to a lot of people on these boards and inside the park. Current Star Wars offerings could be gathered to one side of the park, construction of both Toy Story & Star Wars didn't have to happen at the exact same time.

The Empress Lilly

They raised their own bar on level of service. Can't help it if guests expect that now.

International guests, guests who are going on their first trip, guests who are on vacation from outside of the state. There's more to WDW guests than locals. Even with Hopper Passes you are still paying more money than any other theme park in the world.

My point is, and I will say it again, they have forgone "show" and the usual Disney magic at DHS. It's quite evident to a lot of people on these boards and inside the park. Current Star Wars offerings could be gathered to one side of the park, construction of both Toy Story & Star Wars didn't have to happen at the exact same time.
Totally. And three of the four parks are so underbuild that a few closures leave them pointless half day exercises, and so overcrowded it leads to deadlock. WDW (well the unsupecting guest) is paying the price for twenty years of neglect.

Tony the Tigger

"

Star Wars didn't have to happen at the exact same time.

I'm sorry but that sounds a little spoiled brat-ish to me.

And as others have just said, it would take much longer to do them separately. They made the choice to have more disruption for a shorter period of time to have a greater overall result sooner.

My only question - and it's because I genuinely don't know - is why close things, especially easy-to-close-quickly things like M&G's, so much sooner than it seems necessary? Unless they have to close them for pre-construction work like measurements, plans, etc.

Jon81uk

International guests, guests who are going on their first trip, guests who are on vacation from outside of the state
I'm paying £300 (approx $450) for two weeks worth of theme park and waterpark entry including hopping (and free memory maker) on the UK tickets. Over our two week trip I will spend 7-8 days in Disney parks (including waterparks).
I don't think any international guest would pay for the $100 ticket on the gate, the vast majority will have tickets as part of a package with a room stay.
As far as I've read, most people actually paying for the $100 1-day ticket are FL residents who just drove up for the day. At most of those people go to the MK. I really don't think that many people are paying for 1-day DHS tickets.

raven

And as others have just said, it would take much longer to do them separately. They made the choice to have more disruption for a shorter period of time to have a greater overall result sooner.
Recent history will prove that Disney does nothing in a short period of time. These things should've taken place a long time ago.

WDWVolFan

Soooooooo all this makes sense, but without the Hat, and now without the Tower...what is MGM's icon? The stage in front of the Chinese Theater?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom