More closures confirmed for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Next Big Thing

Yes, I am the only one on this entire board that cares about any such thing Take a glance at some of the other threads.
This response makes little sense. What is this "any such thing" that you are talking about? And I don't need to look at other threads (although I look at most threads). Looking at this one I get a sense from most members that they don't support you.

raven

This response makes little sense. What is this "any such thing" that you are talking about? And I don't need to look at other threads (although I look at most threads). Looking at this one I get a sense from most members that they don't support you.
Bullying? That's what you are resorting to now? Nice.

Next Big Thing

So that's a non-answer then? Just going to quote the very post I questioned how you could consider it bullying and not even give a reason why?

The fact of the matter is, i'm not bullying anyone. I'm stating my opinion as I see it. DHS will be better for this project and if you disagree that's your opinion. I'll respect that it's your opinion, but opinion's are meant to be challenged. You can't grow as a person without having your thoughts and ideas challenged. And we never stop growing as individuals.

ToTBellHop

Building something new to an area that was already used for an attraction isn't "adding." Maybe you can grasp your brain around that. The fact is that they still have to take out a guest area to build another one. That is replacing. Park footprint or not, it's still the same land.

The post I replied to was trying to say they should add brand new areas and attractions while keeping the other ones.

Disney has nearly doubled its available rooms in the past 10 years and parks are seeing an all time record attendances year 'round so the parks are more crowded than ever yet they are exactly the same size as when they were built. Until they actually "expand" they are going to have the same problems over and over again. Hate to say it but maybe they need to take a look at Universal's plans. Yes, they've replaced some areas but there is lots being built on new land. And they have a minuscule land plot compared to Disney.
How about when they build a new ride on the parking lot and another behind Star Tours, actually expanding the park boundaries? I see what you are saying elsewhere, although they are expanding the guest area with TSL and Phase 4 (if that happens).

wdwgreek

Let's not get into a semantics fights! Let's all be friends! Agree to disagree over the semantics of what constitutes an expansion? For me its increasing capacity or replacing old attractions in a coherent way centered around a common theme. Your definition seeks expansion as building onto something old by building something new. It precludes rebuilding from your definition. Semantics. You say tomato and I saw Tamata .

ToTBellHop

Let's not get into a semantics fights! Let's all be friends! Agree to disagree over the semantics of what constitutes an expansion? For me its increasing capacity or replacing old attractions in a coherent way centered around a common theme. Your definition seeks expansion as building onto something old by building something new. It precludes rebuilding from your definition. Semantics. You say tomato and I saw Tamata .
Indeed. What if we just all call it an Extreme Makeover? Whatever we want to call it, he park should be amazing in four years.

Next Big Thing

Exactly, that's the biggest thing is that capacity is increasing and RIDES are increasing. From 6 to *at least* 9.

The only ride lost was BLT and it had gone downhill so much it was time for it to go anyway.

raven

So that's a non-answer then? Just going to quote the very post I questioned how you could consider it bullying and not even give a reason why?

The fact of the matter is, i'm not bullying anyone. I'm stating my opinion as I see it. DHS will be better for this project and if you disagree that's your opinion. I'll respect that it's your opinion, but opinion's are meant to be challenged. You can't grow as a person without having your thoughts and ideas challenged. And we never stop growing as individuals.

You stated that most members don't support me. That is a statement meant to harm my character. How is that not bullying? This is what you've resorted to to try and get your point across.

wdwgreek

King Kong? New Water Park? New Hotels? All on newly developed land.
Although one could argue that Disney has already expanded via four theme parks, two water parks, how many hotels, and a shopping district. The name of the game is upkeep and redoing and pulsing what they have now first and looking to keep building latter. For example if they built a fifth gate, without first addressing the crippling problems at DHS, stuck in the early 90, and Epcot which is floundering as a shawdow of its former self, I would say that is a travesty. Look at Dragon ally vs Jaws, that replacing something with a large foot print but small capacity, with a number of new "attractions." Universal is what only 30 years old and already is having to plus every area to keep them relevant, (the huge risk with IP based lands). Disney has expanded in my view to a saturation point and unless they can take care of what they have, I'd rather "expansions" at the current parks instead of another half day park, that will have an identity crisis ten years down the line, that they'll try to fix with band-aids and then have to rehaul the whole park. A la DCA or DHS

ToTBellHop

You stated that most members don't support me. That is a statement meant to harm my character. How is that not bullying? This is what you've resorted to to try and get your point across.
I have actually seen several other members state a view similar to your own. And I actually think a rational person would agree that it would've been desirable to remove less for all that is new. But, that doesn't seem to be the way of Disney. They have a view that X-number of attractions ought to be on offer at a specific park so new can just replace old. Imagine if they had that view toward DL its first few decades...you'd be left with MK instead of a park with like 40 rides out in Cali (i.e. Let's just replace Toad with Alice instead of building Alice on top of Toad).

Next Big Thing

I am done talking to you on this. I really don't care to continue a conversation with someone who is going to try and gain sympathy by making false (and frankly slightly hilarious) accusations.

Have a good day.

raven

Although one could argue that Disney has already expanded via four theme parks, two water parks, how many hotels, and a shopping district. The name of the game is upkeep and redoing and pulsing what they have now first and looking to keep building latter. For example if they built a fifth gate, without first addressing the crippling problems at DHS, stuck in the early 90, and Epcot which is floundering as a shawdow of its former self, I would say that is a travesty. Look at Dragon ally vs Jaws, that replacing something with a large foot print but small capacity, with a number of new "attractions." Universal is what only 30 years old and already is having to plus every area to keep them relevant, (the huge risk with IP based lands). Disney has expanded in my view to a saturation point and unless they can take care of what they have, I'd rather "expansions" at the current parks instead of another half day park, that will have an identity crisis ten years down the line, that they'll try to fix with band-aids and then have to rehaul the whole park. A la DCA or DHS
Agreed. All of the parks need some TLC in a big way, not just band aids. I'm glad they are finally realizing the capacity situation and are addressing that. But also, the continual building of those DVC rooms just keeps saturating the parks with more and more guests. They really need to do something big to make a big difference.

wdwgreek

Agreed. All of the parks need some TLC in a big way, not just band aids. I'm glad they are finally realizing the capacity situation and are addressing that. But also, the continual building of those DVC rooms just keeps saturating the parks with more and more guests. They really need to do something big to make a big difference.
I would argue that expanding/ revamping camp minie Mickey into Avatarland will add a huge boost of capacity, the Disney spring changes are a way of better and more efficiently utilizing downtown Disney, The DHs changes are going to be huge to recognize how a park can handle 13 million guests a year more effectively, Soaring' is getting a third theater to address the hugewait times. Hopefully an Epcot project and a frontier land project is on its way soon. But as is I think these projects are big changes. Five years ago their was little to no park. Building activity now its everywhere.

raven

I would argue that expanding/ revamping camp minie Mickey into Avatarland will add a huge boost of capacity, the Disney spring changes are a way of better and more efficiently utilizing downtown Disney, The DHs changes are going to be huge to recognize how a park can handle 13 million guests a year more effectively, Soaring' is getting a third theater to address the hugewait times. Hopefully an Epcot project and a frontier land project is on its way soon. But as is I think these projects are big changes. Five years ago their was little to no park. Building activity now its everywhere.
Yep. I'm excited for the new construction none the less and know it will only better the guest experience in time.

Any attraction they build in WDW needs to have better flow and guest-per-hour capacity simply due to the amount of people that go there. It's too bad that Frozen Ever After is going to be the same GPH as Maelstrom (from what I've gathered) and the interest in Frozen is going to make that place a mad house. But attraction could be modified to allow better guest flow. They are doing this with Soarin' and TSM and even added another row to the Safari at DAK several years back. Now if they can just swap out those pirate ships at Peter Pan for a 2-row ship I'd be a happy camper. :)

pmaljr

Those areas of the park that are getting "demo-ed" are ghost towns at night and, quite frankly, creepy. This will be 100% better even if I don't like what they eventually do with all the space. At least I won't feel like I need security back there during Magic Hours, because that's what that whole area has simply become, a dark alley at night, and a sun factory during the day.

amjt660

Just my 2 cents on this one.
I believe that DHS will be "expanding" in 2 ways.
1) Expanding the footprint of the on stage area of the park
2) Increasing the capacity to handle the volume of guests who visit the park

As a manufacturing engineer we often use the words expansion / capacity increase to describe the ability for a site to produce more product. In the case of DHS the increase here will be a higher capacity of customers by expanding the footprint and re-purposing areas to attract and service more guests per day.

Either way you slice it DHS will be better in the long run.
However in the short term I would be hesitate to pay full price to go to a park in the anticipated condition that is being discussed.

Max

wdwgreek

Just my 2 cents on this one.
I believe that DHS will be "expanding" in 2 ways.
1) Expanding the footprint of the on stage area of the park
2) Increasing the capacity to handle the volume of guests who visit the park

As a manufacturing engineer we often use the words expansion / capacity increase to describe the ability for a site to produce more product. In the case of DHS the increase here will be a higher capacity of customers by expanding the footprint and re-purposing areas to attract and service more guests per day.

Either way you slice it DHS will be better in the long run.
However in the short term I would be hesitate to pay full price to go to a park in the anticipated condition that is being discussed.

Max
AMEN! Thank you very much, this is my line of thinking. Its interesting to hear an industry perspective on it. Thank you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom