More closures confirmed for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Next Big Thing

I expect it to be "Disney."

They've set their own high standards that now expect (their own fault) and obviously can't live up to them anymore.
I get what you mean, but for about a decade, they completely ignored pretty much all of WDW, with DHS and Future World taking the biggest hurt from that and there's no excuse for that.

Now that they dug themselves into this hole, they have to dig out. It's not going to be easy or pretty, but at least it's finally happening.

raven

I get what you mean, but for about a decade, they completely ignored pretty much all of WDW, with DHS and Future World taking the biggest hurt from that.

Now that they dug themselves into this hole, they have to dig out. It's not going to be easy or pretty, but at least it's finally happening.
But does it need to happen all at once? Building Star Wars AND Toy Story at the same time, slicing the parks offerings down to a few hours of entertainment while still charging $100 per person?

Good things to come down the road? Yes. But at the expense of ing off the guests who are visiting the park now? I don't understand.

Next Big Thing

But does it need to happen all at once? Building Star Wars AND Toy Story at the same time, slicing the parks offerings down to a few hours of entertainment while still charging $100 per person?

Good things to come down the road? Yes. But at the expense of ****ing off the guests who are visiting the park now? I don't understand.
This is where I challenge you though.... what have they honestly taken away? They took away the Backlot Tour, which was begging to go anyway and on it's death bed for years and LMA, a show that got down to 2 showings per day. Most guests won't even realize it's gone and will be more upset about the HISTK playground being removed.

And to answer your question: yeah, it sorta does need to happen at once or this will drag on forever.

raven

This is where I challenge you though.... what have they honestly taken away? They took away the Backlot Tour, which was begging to go anyway and on it's death bed for years and LMA, a show that got down to 2 showings per day. Most guests won't even realize it's gone and will be more upset about the HISTK playground being removed.

And to answer your question: yeah, it sorta does need to happen at once or this will drag on forever.

That's the problem. It WILL drag on forever. Once those open they will just close something else. That's the Disney Cycle. And when will it actually open? When was Avatar announced? Year and years. Universal makes fun of their construction time in their Bill & Ted's show during Halloween even. Other parks can add a ride in a year, not Disney.

The biggest take away is the guest-roam space. DHS is going to be one crowded nightmare for the next several years due to all this construction.

Next Big Thing

That's the problem. It WILL drag on forever. Once those open they will just close something else. That's the Disney Cycle. And when will it actually open? When was Avatar announced? Year and years. Universal makes fun of their construction time in their Bill & Ted's show during Halloween even. Other parks can add a ride in a year, not Disney.

The biggest take away is the guest-roam space. DHS is going to be one crowded nightmare for the next several years due to all this construction.
Avatar was announced in 2011. Construction didn't start until 2014 as it was a pre-mature announcement - meaning there was little to no R&D done at the time of announcement.

And yes Universal adds fairly quick, but it's because they are playing from behind. They HAVE TO. Disney doesn't and they know it. That's what led them into the problem they're currently dealing with.

raven

Avatar was announced in 2011. Construction didn't start until 2014 as it was a pre-mature announcement.

And yes Universal adds fairly quick, but it's because they are playing from behind. They HAVE TO. Disney doesn't and they know it. That's what led them into the problem they're currently dealing with.
Disney just takes long with everything. The MK hub redevelopment is basically an open park concept but they spent 2 years on it.

Next Big Thing

Disney just takes long with everything. The MK hub redevelopment is basically an open park concept but they spent 2 years on it.
Yes, they do take a long time, I will give you that. But they take a long time on purpose. When it's time to get the job done and crank up the heat, it can happen and i've seen it happen.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things turn out construction-wise the next few years. There's nothing us complaining about it will do. SWL is a high-profile project, so I have some confidence they'll want their crap together in a timely manner (by the time Episode 9 hits theaters preferably).

raven

Yes, they do take a long time, I will give you that. But they take a long time on purpose. When it's time to get the job done and crank up the heat, it can happen and i've seen it happen.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how things turn out construction-wise the next few years. There's nothing us complaining about it will do. SWL is a high-profile project, so I have some confidence they'll want their crap together in a timely manner (by the time Episode 9 hits theaters preferably).
Disneyland was built in a year. Empire State Building took 18 months.

Seems technology has slowed things down in the future.

The problem is that BVC is paid by the hour, not when the project is complete. Now I understand laws prevent that from happening but you can sure bet if it would, Rome would've been built in a day.

Next Big Thing

Seems technology has slowed things down in the future.

The problem is that BVC is paid by the hour, not when the project is complete. Now I understand laws prevent that from happening but you can sure bet if it would, Rome would've been built in a day.
Disneyland was built on an empty slate, no hurdles to get around like DHS currently has. And DHS has A LOT of hurdles.

Not excusing however long it may take, but it's two totally different things.

ElvisMickey

But completely across the park from the actual Star Wars area? Couldn't they use one of the many empty buildings over there? Odd to see Storm Troopers walking around the courtyard in front of Playhouse Disney and Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Also, Jedi Training meets outside of 50's Prime Time?

Just reinforces my statements about the park being an Identity Crisis park.

I don't mind the fact that the Launch Bay is in the old animation building but what's kind of lazy is that they still have a Disney animation soundtrack playing just outside of the Launch Bay. Yes, I understand that it IS the Animation Coutyard, but storm troopers patrolling the area while Jiminy Cricket sings "Give A Little Whistle" is kind of weird lol. And on a side note, DHS still had Christmas music playing yesterday. Seriously?

Goofyque'

This is always a great quote, but doubt if people would be satisfied today with merry go rounds, and Jungle cruise being the highlights of the park. I remember riding the ponies/burros in the first three years. Safety concerns and lawsuits did not impact the building of a park like it is today. Disneyland is far beyond now what was built in a year.

discos

I agree, if they don't do it all at once, the park wouldn't be complete until 2030! DHS needs all the aid it can get, and quick!

jt04

It seems to me Iger has fixed every division except one. I imagine the only word on his mind is, "next".

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I don't mind the fact that the Launch Bay is in the old animation building but what's kind of lazy is that they still have a Disney animation soundtrack playing just outside of the Launch Bay. Yes, I understand that it IS the Animation Coutyard, but storm troopers patrolling the area while Jiminy Cricket sings "Give A Little Whistle" is kind of weird lol. And on a side note, DHS still had Christmas music playing yesterday. Seriously?

Details require management which gives a damn, Which at WDW they will only start to give a damn when the gate clicks decrease.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom