More closures confirmed for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm befuddled. Completely befuddled.

It was my understanding the parking lot improvements would be done by the time TSL opened. LMA and SoA would be retained until TSL was done (late 2018 - early 2019) for capacity and would then be closed.

Work was to begin on TSL within the next 3-6 months as was the backstage work of SWL (new attraction would be going where the parade building is and out into the parking lot) and then Indy would close toward the end of this year to make way for the second new attraction. The rest of Echo Lake wouldn't close until late next year (50s, H & V, Frozen) since much of that work would be purely cosmetic.

Phase 3 was still supposedly years off. From what I understood, Osborne was closing because they wouldn't have the parking next year, or the year after, to handle the capacity.

I don't know why they would need LMA and SoA for staging. They did all of the work for the FL expansion with very little to no staging area, and right in the middle of the park from what I remember. They could easily do the TSL staging right on the land where it's being built. There's plenty of land back there for staging. Staging for SW would be more difficult, but I would have thought the area where Cars and P & F were would have been enough.

I can't believe the plans for SWL have changed so drastically that they've moved to a whole new area of the park. I also can't imagine that they'd put a new SW Land somewhat disconnected and separate from Star Tours.

Idk. Either Phase 3 has been not only greenlit, but also fast tracked, or they're closing LMA to simply cut costs and the rest of the area might as well go down too.

The whole thing is incredibly strange.

It's not P&R needs to pick up the slack for ESPN, This is just a budget cut expect more closures with no construction to follow.

chrisps

I am going to miss lights motors action stunt show it was a good stunt show and I am said that it is closing in April of this year I thought that Indy would be closing before Lights motors stunt show Indy has been there for a long time and needs to go sorry to say that alot of people are not going to that show anymore when I was there in 2013 there was no wait for the Indy stunt show but lights motors action stunt show had alot of people going to see it. I have a question for you Martin with Lights Motors action closing on April 2nd does that mean that you will have a HD Tribute video to this show before April before the show closes for good? I am happy that a star wars land is getting built at the Studios park and a Toy Story land is getting bult it will be a new family fun place for families with little kids. I have also herd somewhere on the Internet this week that the Star wars fireworks show will be getting fires that shoot up on the roof the great movie ride and projections will be added to the buildings like the Disneyland Forever show at the Disneyland resort does anyone know if this is going to happen this year or anytime soon? I have enjoyed the movie Star Wars the Force Awakens I saw it last on the 1st day of 2016 but they did not have any adds or anything to say about Star Wars land at Disney's Hollywood Studios I have also herd on the Intent that Star wars land is going to open in 2018 and Toy Story land is going to open next year is that true or are we looking sometime around 2020 when Disney world 50th anniversary happens we still have 3 more star wars movies to go yet the Star wars movie this year is not a movie after the force awakens last year episode 8 is coming out in may of next year and 2 more episodes are coming after next year so do you think that Star wars land will open before the last episode comes out and with a new Toy story movie coming out in 2018 do you think that Toy story land will be finished before the movie comes out in 2018? Star wars episode 8 comes out on the 26th of May of next year so maybe Star wars land will open in 2018 or 2019 is that possible to happen?

Ignohippo

I am going to miss lights motors action stunt show it was a good stunt show and I am said that it is closing in April of this year I thought that Indy would be closing before Lights motors stunt show Indy has been there for a long time and needs to go sorry to say that alot of people are not going to that show anymore when I was there in 2013 there was no wait for the Indy stunt show but lights motors action stunt show had alot of people going to see it. I have a question for you Martin with Lights Motors action closing on April 2nd does that mean that you will have a HD Tribute video to this show before April before the show closes for good? I am happy that a star wars land is getting built at the Studios park and a Toy Story land is getting bult it will be a new family fun place for families with little kids. I have also herd somewhere on the Internet this week that the Star wars fireworks show will be getting fires that shoot up on the roof the great movie ride and projections will be added to the buildings like the Disneyland Forever show at the Disneyland resort does anyone know if this is going to happen this year or anytime soon? I have enjoyed the movie Star Wars the Force Awakens I saw it last on the 1st day of 2016 but they did not have any adds or anything to say about Star Wars land at Disney's Hollywood Studios I have also herd on the Intent that Star wars land is going to open in 2018 and Toy Story land is going to open next year is that true or are we looking sometime around 2020 when Disney world 50th anniversary happens we still have 3 more star wars movies to go yet the Star wars movie this year is not a movie after the force awakens last year episode 8 is coming out in may of next year and 2 more episodes are coming after next year so do you think that Star wars land will open before the last episode comes out and with a new Toy story movie coming out in 2018 do you think that Toy story land will be finished before the movie comes out in 2018? Star wars episode 8 comes out on the 26th of May of next year so maybe Star wars land will open in 2018 or 2019 is that possible to happen?

Wow.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My point was that they are likely realizing they underestimated the scope of all things Star Wars and are expanding the project accordingly. Sort of a HW to DS reimagining. Just a guess but I do know they never expected TFA to get anywhere near a billion dollars domestic. This is not a one time fluke BTW.

As I said, management is cluless. Kylon Ren could have turned out to be Jar Jar and this movie still would have done a billion.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yes, but they have much more land to do it. Plenty of staging area as they demo the backlot and I would think enough staging where the meet and greets used to be for SW.

With the parking, you actually have three construction zones.

I agree, if they clear out everything that was mentioned to be closing today, LMA, Premier Theater, Backlot and Cat Canyon, that is way more staging are then is really needed.

KaliSplash

really hate to see Writers go. Was a great place to grab some really good cookies/brownies, etc as a snack. Also hate Lights Motors Action is leaving so soon. While is doesn't have the iconic background of Indy, it was a good attraction. I really do wonder how people will visit this park as half of it shuts down. Makes no sense to go unless you have a parkhopper and can drop by for a few hours.

But hopefully, the "investment" of these closures will lead to greater things in the next few years. The potential is certainly there!

Unplugged

I'll admit I'm beginning to question what I've been told, which is that SWL is going on Indy and behind.

It could be SOA is seen as pointless until it can be used as a through fair between Muppetvision and TSL. If what I'm told holds true it could also be the clearest signal yet of a phase 3 eventually on the LMA site.

Thanks @marni1971 for the insight! Having read the hints of a phase 3, I started wondering if they were pulling a last minute switch-a-roo on us or as you indicated, a larger long term staging area. I recall the map a few months back showing changes to the back roads for the construction traffic, so this makes sense. It seems like this would end up having walls going from Sci-Fi Dine-In, down to the Muppet Theater, and everything else around it being a dust bowl.

I have to say, I've hated seeing so many things closing and falling deeper into the void this past year, having only heard the high level announcements. I've heard our astronauts say "When things are really bad and you think they can't get any worse, they will." But seeing actual permits filed and formal closure announcements from Disney, I'm excited to see the walls start going up and existing structures start coming down. I'd certainly pay the $49.95 for the "Behind the Walls Tour" at DHS, the Mickey-eared Hard Hat photo op, and the cupcake in a mini "contractor" lunch box.

I'll be down there the 1st week of June. So while I plan on skipping DHS, I may wander over there purely to grab some photos and share if the state at that point needs updating here. Gotta pay it forward!

jt04

As I said, management is cluless. Kylon Ren could have turned out to be Jar Jar and this movie still would have done a billion.

No. While TFA does not have the strongest storyline, its success is not due to nostalgia. It had to check all the boxes similar to the original Star Trek movie. However, it has also created a great foundation with new characters to build around. Going forward they will have more freedom to take risks. If they succeed in creating movies of the quality of Empire Strikes Back, then the future of the franchise is limitless including at the box office. IMO.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I need a stiff shot after reading that. Yikes

Anyway, what an exciting news day for the fandom. Lots more questions than answers it seems and I, personally, am very interested to see how this unravels over the next few months and years.

I do believe you have hit the right word 'unravels'. We may be watching the creation of the NEXT River Country. Yes I'm being excessively negative but all these closures in light of what's happening at Disney's primary cash cow I don't believe are unrelated because Iger will do absolutely ANYTHING to keep the stock price high.

Tony the Tigger

No. While TFA does not have the strongest storyline, its success is not due to nostalgia. It had to check all the boxes similar to the original Star Trek movie. However, it has also created a great foundation with new characters to build around. Going forward they will have more freedom to take risks. If they succeed in creating movies of the quality of Empire Strikes Back, then the future of the franchise is limitless including at the box office. IMO.

I agree. As someone who saw episode IV in the theaters when I was a kid and has always been a huge fan (even though I,II,III were "meh") my first thoughts when I read the original SWL announcements was, "PLEASE don't focus too much on the new movies to promote them, give the best ones their due." Now it doesn't matter. All the same. Desert planet = desert planet. C3PO=C3PO. Instantly like the new characters and the strong backing of the original 3. I'm presuming a stronger Luke storyline in ep 8 which will be just as satisfying. I'll go with theming from the new movie just as well as from IV, V, VI. Little nods to the other three are ok, too LOL. Just little nods for the sake of history.

Im starting to think that Indy stays and star wars land begins just after Indy. Where it once changed from stage to backlot will not change from Hollywood to SW. It will begin in the Star Tours "courtyard" and extend down SOA with the new attractions taking up the land that LMA is currently using. TSL is pushed behind Midway and takes the former production buildings, One Mans Dream, Little Mermaid, etc. It makes the most sense to me. Indy stays, Muppets stay, Frozen stays, all current restaurants stay with the exception of SCC, and the park gains a large amount of new attractions without sacrificing that many current ones. I used an online land calculator and it all works out in terms of promised acres.

peter11435

I do believe you have hit the right word 'unravels'. We may be watching the creation of the NEXT River Country. Yes I'm being excessively negative but all these closures in light of what's happening at Disney's primary cash cow I don't believe are unrelated because Iger will do absolutely ANYTHING to keep the stock price high.
You really don't need to do this in every thread.

Magenta Panther

really hate to see Writers go. Was a great place to grab some really good cookies/brownies, etc as a snack. Also hate Lights Motors Action is leaving so soon. While is doesn't have the iconic background of Indy, it was a good attraction. I really do wonder how people will visit this park as half of it shuts down. Makes no sense to go unless you have a parkhopper and can drop by for a few hours.

But hopefully, the "investment" of these closures will lead to greater things in the next few years. The potential is certainly there!

I feel the same about Writer's - it didn't have the best coffee, but it was a great place to sit down and cool off and browse some books (it's where I bought Bob Thomas' excellent Walt Disney biography). But who needs books when you can have Wookiees? :p

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom