More closures confirmed for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Unplugged

I understand the removal of the west side of the back stage area, earful, and the southern part of Pixar place to get the Toy Story area under way with ample space for staging of materials. But closing SoA (TBD) and the announcement of the LMA closure, that is a LOT being removed at the Southern end of the park when construction was stated as East & West sides. Are the insiders here 100% sure Star Wars isn't going on the Sourthern most (LMA) area?

I'm curious as well, if a parking garage is going in to make room for CM's & SWL, shouldn't we see some of those current parking areas closed around the same time? If they don't get the garages under way, their entire effort for SWL will seriously hampered if SWL is indeed going in the Indy vicinity.

Slowjack

... that is a LOT being removed at the Southern end of the park when construction was stated as East & West sides. Are the insiders here 100% sure Star Wars isn't going on the Sourthern most (LMA) area?
It is strange that LMA would be going away so soon. If the Muppets were also going, I'd almost think the problem was that the construction for Star Wars would just make guest access to LMA nearly impossible. But since it appears the Muppets are safe, it's hard to picture how whatever they will be doing in the next few years would necessitate closing LMA. Which suggests it could just be money--save the cost of running LMA as a small offset against ongoing construction costs?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Are the insiders here 100% sure Star Wars isn't going on the Sourthern most (LMA) area?

I'm curious as well, if a parking garage is going in to make room for CM's & SWL, shouldn't we see some of those current parking areas closed around the same time?.
I'll admit I'm beginning to question what I've been told, which is that SWL is going on Indy and behind.

However, today's news does point to a staging area for TSPL. And potentially space for SWL staging, since the latter will be constrained by open parking lots and an open park with not much room for anything apart from actual construction. The recent permits seem to suggest SWL construction access from this area too. LMA has been under threat for two years now. This could be the final reason to close it. TSPL won't leave a huge amount of spare room for staging without using the Cat Canyon / LMA area. Something had to give.

I'll be very surprised if the parking lots of today haven't begun to change by this summer. First with guests parking where television is and CMs displaced mainly to Epcot, whilst the first garage is built on music. Then I expect guests to use the music garage whilst the second garage is built on film. With both garages in use I'd then expect television to close to be taken mainly inside the berm. Stage will continue to be used for preferred and overflow parking until it is realigned with the new access layout. CMs long term will have a new facility, possibly across World Drive or south of the existing main DHS entrance road. Even so, remember realistically the new parking and access layout only needs to be ready for SWL which is around 3 years away.

It could be SOA is seen as pointless until it can be used as a through fair between Muppetvision and TSL. If what I'm told holds true it could also be the clearest signal yet of a phase 3 eventually on the LMA site.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I'll admit I'm beginning to question what I've been told, which is that SWL is going on Indy and behind.

However, today's news does point to a staging area for TSPL. And potentially space for SWL staging, since the latter will be constrained by open parking lots and an open park with not much room for anything apart from actual construction. The recent permits seem to suggest SWL construction access from this area too. LMA has been under threat for two years now. This could be the final reason to close it.

I'll be very surprised if the parking lots of today haven't begun to change by this summer. First with guests parking where television is and CMs displaced mainly to Epcot, whilst the first garage is built on music. Then I expect guests to use the music garage whilst the second garage is built on film. With both garages in use I'd then expect television to close to be taken mainly inside the berm. Stage will continue to be used for preferred and overflow parking until it is realigned with the new access layout. CMs long term will have a new facility, possibly across World Drive or south of the existing main entrance road.

It could be SOA is seen as pointless until it can be used as a through fair between Muppetvision and TSL. If what I'm told holds true it could also be the clearest signal yet of a phase 3 eventually on the LMA site.

Exciting...yet strangely unsettling...

YodaMan

This seems to late for closures. I hope plenty of work is going on outside the park walls..

Agreed. Looking at the big picture, if LMA is being used for staging and needs to be demo'd and isn't closed until April, how soon can they really get started on TSL? Hopefully in the mean time they work on the other side of World Drive. Would be a great time to get started on the Firework Launch Site and maybe even the CM garage being mentioned above. Then construction crews don't have to clear out for firework fallout every night and cast can be moved out of the Television lot so guest garages can begin being worked on as well.

Jeff456

Wow, with this and Lights Motors Action there really will be very little left! At one time this was probably my favourite park, but now it is definitely my least favourite!
I am sure in the long run it will all be worth it though!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom