More closures confirmed for Disney's Hollywood Studios

ToTBellHop

Because the Muppet area is the only part of SOA that isn't closing, does this sort of confirm that it will remain here for the long term?
It confirms that it will stay for the near term. Long term plans can change, but at present, it stays and gets dining. It wouldn't be terribly hard to rip all that out in three years for Phase 3 if the Muppets tank.

Animaniac93-98

It wasn't anything major, but I'll miss Writer's Stop. It had a good selection of Disey media (books, Blu-rays etc) at prices not really any higher than a place like Barnes and Noble. The coffee shop food and drink was also a good alternative to burgers 'n fires, though Starbucks obviously fills that gap now.

It is however, the kind of thing that could be put in Disney Springs.

WDWBryan

Odd that the Writer's Stop would close since it's right next to sci-fi and can even be accessed from sci-fi

I wonder if commissary lane will be one way in and out, that would probably be a night mare or maybe just a really small path connecting to star tours

djkidkaz

We need someone to post an aerial photo with the confirmed closed areas.

I'm also curious when Disney will announce the rest of the changes to the park? I think your average guest can accept all the closures more openly if they were to give them the whole story. Make people aware of the new lands, the name change and all the other components that will go into the relaunch of this park. I don't think your average guest knows this park is being rebuilt and rebranded.

One last thing, I'm really curious what will be the third new land of this park? With all these additions, the park is leaning HEAVILY towards a male-centric park. Yeah TSL is kind of unisex but I still think it skews towards boys. There really is nothing attraction wise that would be skewed towards a female audience. I wonder if there are plans to add something more girly to the park? Personally I feel like phase 3 is either going to be Carsland which is a proven money maker or something super heroes. I know all about the Uni deal but I just don't see Disney not shelling out the cash to get that property back and be able to use it at WDW.

I also find it strange that Universal completely gutted Hulk only to completely rebuild it. I've never heard of that being done before at any theme park.

SpaceMountain77

I, too, find it strange that the Writer's Stop is closing. Although it is listed as being part of the Streets of America, the exterior of the building continues the theming of Commissary Lane. Moreover, I have always viewed the Lane as a continuous Disney Dining Plan, with a quick service (ABC Commissary), table service (Sci-Fi Dine-In), and snack location (Writer's Stop).

It is also worth noting that the Writer's Stop is accessible to Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater as they share a common hallway and restroom access.

This closure does make me wonder about the fate of Sci-Fi Dine-In.

dreamscometrue

As I understood it back in October 2015, 2016 would be the year of prep and and starting infrastructure construction.
Thanks for posting.

If that's the case, after 1 year of prep and infrastructure work, can a land like TSL be created in a year? Less? More? (Disclaimer: I know nothing about construction :))

SirLink

Thanks for posting.

If that's the case, after I year of prep and infrastructure work, can a land like TSL be created in a year? Less? More? (Disclaimer: I know nothing about construction :))

It depends on if the plan has changed - last time I checked a combo of Burbank and WDW Ops were worried that if they built TSL the demand for the land would outstip parking and would be a nightmare to manage guests in this park. But to your question for Disney 18-24 months depends how quick they want to do this...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Agreed. Looking at the big picture, if LMA is being used for staging and needs to be demo'd and isn't closed until April, how soon can they really get started on TSL? Hopefully in the mean time they work on the other side of World Drive. Would be a great time to get started on the Firework Launch Site and maybe even the CM garage being mentioned above. Then construction crews don't have to clear out for firework fallout every night and cast can be moved out of the Television lot so guest garages can begin being worked on as well.

A permit was already filed for the land clearing for the Fireworks, so that should be starting shortly if it hasn't already. Permits have also been filed for back of house work for the TSL side. They could easily spend from now until April do relocations and demolition on the TSL side without needing any additional staging areas. There have not been South Florida Water Management District permits for a CM garage on the other side of World Drive yet, so if this is going to happen, it's at least a couple months away from starting at a minimum.

Ignohippo

It depends on if the plan has changed - last time I checked a combo of Burbank and WDW Ops were worried that if they built TSL the demand for the land would outstip parking and would be a nightmare to manage guests in this park. But to your question for Disney 18-24 months depends how quick they want to do this...

I'm befuddled. Completely befuddled.

It was my understanding the parking lot improvements would be done by the time TSL opened. LMA and SoA would be retained until TSL was done (late 2018 - early 2019) for capacity and would then be closed.

Work was to begin on TSL within the next 3-6 months as was the backstage work of SWL (new attraction would be going where the parade building is and out into the parking lot) and then Indy would close toward the end of this year to make way for the second new attraction. The rest of Echo Lake wouldn't close until late next year (50s, H & V, Frozen) since much of that work would be purely cosmetic.

Phase 3 was still supposedly years off. From what I understood, Osborne was closing because they wouldn't have the parking next year, or the year after, to handle the capacity.

I don't know why they would need LMA and SoA for staging. They did all of the work for the FL expansion with very little to no staging area, and right in the middle of the park from what I remember. They could easily do the TSL staging right on the land where it's being built. There's plenty of land back there for staging. Staging for SW would be more difficult, but I would have thought the area where Cars and P & F were would have been enough.

I can't believe the plans for SWL have changed so drastically that they've moved to a whole new area of the park. I also can't imagine that they'd put a new SW Land somewhat disconnected and separate from Star Tours.

Idk. Either Phase 3 has been not only greenlit, but also fast tracked, or they're closing LMA to simply cut costs and the rest of the area might as well go down too.

The whole thing is incredibly strange.

djkidkaz

A permit was already filed for the land clearing for the Fireworks, so that should be starting shortly if it hasn't already. Permits have also been filed for back of house work for the TSL side. They could easily spend from now until April do relocations and demolition on the TSL side without needing any additional staging areas. There have not been South Florida Water Management District permits for a CM garage on the other side of World Drive yet, so if this is going to happen, it's at least a couple months away from starting at a minimum.

Wait, they are building a garage on the other side of World drive? And then a pedestrian bridge that would drop cast members off behind toy story land? I thought the fireworks were going across world drive?

djkidkaz

I'm befuddled. Completely befuddled.

It was my understanding the parking lot improvements would be done by the time TSL opened. LMA and SoA would be retained until TSL was done (late 2018 - early 2019) for capacity and would then be closed.

Work was to begin on TSL within the next 3-6 months as was the backstage work of SWL (new attraction would be going where the parade building is and out into the parking lot) and then Indy would close toward the end of this year to make way for the second new attraction. The rest of Echo Lake wouldn't close until late next year (50s, H & V, Frozen) since much of that work would be purely cosmetic.

Phase 3 was still supposedly years off. From what I understood, Osborne was closing because they wouldn't have the parking next year, or the year after, to handle the capacity.

I don't know why they would need LMA and SoA for staging. They did all of the work for the FL expansion with very little to no staging area, and right in the middle of the park from what I remember. They could easily do the TSL staging right on the land where it's being built. There's plenty of land back there for staging. Staging for SW would be more difficult, but I would have thought the area where Cars and P & F were would have been enough.

I can't believe the plans for SWL have changed so drastically that they've moved to a whole new area of the park. I also can't imagine that they'd put a new SW Land somewhat disconnected and separate from Star Tours.

Idk. Either Phase 3 has been not only greenlit, but also fast tracked, or they're closing LMA to simply cut costs and the rest of the area might as well go down too.

The whole thing is incredibly strange.

I feel like if they were going to greenlight a phase 3 and start construction we would know what is going there. Also the difference between this and new fantasyland is they are building two simultaneous lands at studios which means double the crew and vehicles.

jt04

If they needed to wait for Force Awakens numbers to get motivated to fix DHS then management is even more clueless then we knew.

My point was that they are likely realizing they underestimated the scope of all things Star Wars and are expanding the project accordingly. Sort of a HW to DS reimagining. Just a guess but I do know they never expected TFA to get anywhere near a billion dollars domestic. This is not a one time fluke BTW.

Ignohippo

I feel like if they were going to greenlight a phase 3 and start construction we would know what is going there. Also the difference between this and new fantasyland is they are building two simultaneous lands at studios which means double the crew and vehicles.

Yes, but they have much more land to do it. Plenty of staging area as they demo the backlot and I would think enough staging where the meet and greets used to be for SW.

With the parking, you actually have three construction zones.

MickeyWiki

We need someone to post an aerial photo with the confirmed closed areas.

I'm also curious when Disney will announce the rest of the changes to the park? I think your average guest can accept all the closures more openly if they were to give them the whole story. Make people aware of the new lands, the name change and all the other components that will go into the relaunch of this park. I don't think your average guest knows this park is being rebuilt and rebranded.

One last thing, I'm really curious what will be the third new land of this park? With all these additions, the park is leaning HEAVILY towards a male-centric park. Yeah TSL is kind of unisex but I still think it skews towards boys. There really is nothing attraction wise that would be skewed towards a female audience. I wonder if there are plans to add something more girly to the park? Personally I feel like phase 3 is either going to be Carsland which is a proven money maker or something super heroes. I know all about the Uni deal but I just don't see Disney not shelling out the cash to get that property back and be able to use it at WDW.

I also find it strange that Universal completely gutted Hulk only to completely rebuild it. I've never heard of that being done before at any theme park.
Saw this on Twitter earlier, it's not exact but here's the general area

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 358

ToTBellHop

Yes, but they have much more land to do it. Plenty of staging area as they demo the backlot and I would think enough staging where the meet and greets used to be for SW.

With the parking, you actually have three construction zones.
Well I know Ops was also deeply concerned over the idea of running a construction site theme park for five years, so maybe phase 3 has indeed been greenlit. It's certainly possible. If so, wonder what they went with. Of the three options I heard, my vote was certainly for one over the other two but my vote doesn't count here lol. Will be exciting to see if 2016 brings an announcement.

Given that phase three connects TSL to SWL, it certainly would be easier from a park operations standpoint to get it up and running ASAP.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom