More booze at Disneyland

SSG

Homer Simpson Life GIF

mickEblu

Anyone who thinks that Disney won’t be selling alcohol all over the park in the next few years isn’t paying attention and/ or fooling themselves. They re just rolling this out in phases. Baby steps. The next time they need a little bump in revenue we’ll see alcoholic beverages being served at Bengal BBQ and other counter service spots. Everybody always wants to think that things will suddenly stop changing just because it’s reached the limit of the what they’ll tolerate. What will stop them from selling more alcohol when they can just point to DCA and say “see everything is ok.” They’ve proven that they don’t care about the Disneyland mystique or even know what that is. Now they ll suddenly stop at only serving alcohol at table service restaurants? Why?

wdrive

Anyone who thinks that Disney won’t be selling alcohol all over the park in the next few years isn’t paying attention and/ or fooling themselves. They re just rolling this out in phases. Baby steps. The next time they need a little bump in revenue we’ll see alcoholic beverages being served at Bengal BBQ and other counter service spots. Everybody always wants to think that things will suddenly stop changing just because it’s reached the limit of the what they’ll tolerate. What will stop them from selling more alcohol when they can just point to DCA and say “see everything is ok.” They’ve proven that they don’t care about the Disneyland mystique or even know what that is. Now they ll suddenly stop at only serving alcohol at table service restaurants? Why?

Personally, I wouldn’t mind this. Again how many drunken people do you see in DCA? How many people drink in DCA/Downtown Disney/Anywhere else and head on over to Disneyland after? I’d quite enjoy sitting with a beer by the New Orleans Square waterfront on an evening truth be told.

mickEblu

Personally, I wouldn’t mind this. Again how many drunken people do you see in DCA? How many people drink in DCA/Downtown Disney/Anywhere else and head on over to Disneyland after? I’d quite enjoy sitting with a beer by the New Orleans Square waterfront on an evening truth be told.

I wasn’t even getting into whether I think it’s an issue or not. Just pointing out that it’s most likely not stopping at table restaurants.

I’m of the opinion that adding more alcohol to Disneyland at table service restaurants won’t impact guest experience negatively. There’s certainly more of a risk of that happening but I’ve never really encountered any belligerent people at DCA. My issue is more with the Disneyland brand/ mystique continually being diminished. I’d like for it to stay that special escape from the real world. Politics, fairies with mustaches and artificial turf for the sake of virtue signaling/ Penny pinching don’t make Disneyland feel like a special place or an escape to me. Adding alcohol to all the table service restaurants (and most likely the rest of the park at some point) is another indication to me that Disneyland is trending away from being that unique place.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

There is no evidence that we're going full Universal on the booze except in some of your own heads and projections.

Also, Disneyland Paris has had alcohol for like twenty years and still hasn't gotten to that point, even in a culture/continent where there's much less of a taboo associated with alcohol.

So I ask again: where is the proof that this is the inevitable way in which the parks will march? Not just feelings. 100% objective evidence only, please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Californian Elitist

There is no evidence that we're going full Universal on the booze except in some of your own heads and projections.

Also, Disneyland Paris has had alcohol for like twenty years and still hasn't gotten to that point, even in a culture where there's much less of a taboo associated with alcohol.

So I ask again: where is the proof that this is the inevitable way in which the parks will march? Not just feelings. 100% objective evidence only, please.
There is no proof and that doesn’t matter. The simple fact that alcohol is served in Disneyland is enough to be a problem and no longer makes it a special and different place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Castle Cake Apologist

There is no proof and that doesn’t matter. The simple fact that alcohol is served in Disneyland is enough to be a problem and no longer makes it a special and different place.

Don't forget the fact that anybody who finds themselves sipping a white zin over lunch at Carnation Café is automatically a total drunk who needs to find an AA meeting immediately!

Mickey's Pal

Good. No problem with this whatsoever. Adults should be able to have a drink with their meals. As long as it is just confined to the location they are dinning at and not allowed to walk around the park with it, I have no issues with it.

Parteecia

... "Serving booze at the Disneyland table service restaurants breaks with an alcohol prohibition instituted by Walt Disney — who worried about attracting the wrong crowd who frequented seedy seaside amusement parks in the 1940s and ‘50s.

“ 'No liquor, no beer, nothing,' Walt Disney told the Saturday Evening Post about Disneyland in 1956. 'Because that brings in a rowdy element. That brings people that we don’t want.' ”

BuddyThomas

... "Serving booze at the Disneyland table service restaurants breaks with an alcohol prohibition instituted by Walt Disney — who worried about attracting the wrong crowd who frequented seedy seaside amusement parks in the 1940s and ‘50s.

“ 'No liquor, no beer, nothing,' Walt Disney told the Saturday Evening Post about Disneyland in 1956. 'Because that brings in a rowdy element. That brings people that we don’t want.' ”

Californian Elitist

I love how the OC Register talks about Disneyland going “against Walt Disney’s wishes,” by serving alcohol and the “crumbling” of the original rule, but fails to list numerous, or even one, event where guests got belligerently drunk and got rowdy, all while acknowledging that DCA has been serving alcohol for over 20 years and alcohol was introduced in Disneyland years ago.

TrainsOfDisney

I love how the OC Register talks about Disneyland going “against Walt Disney’s wishes,” by serving alcohol and the “crumbling” of the original rule, but fails to list numerous, or even one, event where guests got belligerently drunk and got rowdy, all while acknowledging that DCA has been serving alcohol for over 20 years and alcohol was introduced in Disneyland years ago.
I’m sure there have been times when alcohol has caused an issue on Disneyland property and the OC Register probably forgot that galaxies edge was even back there, just like many guests! (Ohhhh!!!! Take that Kylo!).

As far as the actual announcement… it’s still one little change from something that set Disneyland apart from the rest of the world. But table service isn’t going to make any major change. I kinda get blue bayou… carnation cafe seems like an odd choice though. Oh well…. I’ll be over at Plaza with my salmon anyways haha.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom