More booze at Disneyland

DLR92

Too bad Disneyland can't be left as the one place in the world where adults can't get sloshed. It isn't a family place anymore.

Having to deal with my mom alcoholism, it didn’t stem from drinking. Drinking help shield her demons of her childhood in Korea and her depression with marriage and dealing with custom still foreign to her.

Californian Elitist

I've come home from work and poured myself a glass of wine to destress, maybe that's how some people feel within the parks. Wanting a drink to relax does not mean you need to go to AA or have a drinking problem.
When I was in grad school, every Friday after work/classes, my roommate and I would go and get dinner, hit up a liquor store to get wine, do our weekly grocery shopping, then come home. We’d pour ourselves a glass of that cheap wine, make a snack, and put on a movie. That weekly ritual was very relaxing and nice after a week’s worth of hours and hours of lectures and work.

Neither of us are alcoholics and we both got our degrees on time.

wdrive

The only Disney park I’ve seen poor guest behaviour due to alcohol is Epcot, but it’s almost promoted to drink there.

I don’t see many people getting out of control drunk on some probable over priced, weak cocktails at a couple table service restaurants in Disneyland.

Have drunken guests ever really been a problem in DCA? Where you can buy alcohol from walk up counter services

DLR92

The only Disney park I’ve seen poor guest behaviour due to alcohol is Epcot, but it’s almost promoted to drink there.

I don’t see many people getting out of control drunk on some probable over priced, weak cocktails at a couple table service restaurants in Disneyland.

Have drunken guests ever really been a problem in DCA? Where you can buy alcohol from walk up counter services
I never dealt with a drunk guest at DCA. Downtown Disney…might have seen some
People tipsy like. 😂

Parteecia

The worst drunk I've dealt with in the parks was while I was working parade guest control in the '70s.

I don't like walk-around alcohol because I magically attract spillage, especially at sporting events. I do not enjoy smelling like beer.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I will say that I'm okay if alcohol is served only at table service restaurants with a drink limit and the drinks can't be carried out of the establishment.

If Disneyland started selling alcohol on carts or at quick service restaurants, or in other words, if people were walking around or in lines with alcohol in their hand, then I'd probably stop going there altogether. Not because I'm against alcohol or drinking, but because Disneyland to me has always been a magical place I grew up going to where I can get away from purely "adult" things and feel like a kid again. I wouldn't feel like a kid again if I smelled beer while in line for Peter Pan, but that's just me.

I tolerate it at DCA because.....well....it's not Disneyland, and it started out to be a more adult oriented park. I've never seen drunkenness at DCA, but I have been in line with loud-mouths that were clearly buzzed. More annoying than actually being a problem.

I know Disney (or any of you) wouldn't be hurt any any if I stopped going, so it would only be for my personal convictions, not because I'm trying to "stick it" to anything or anyone, nor would I judge anyone who still wanted to go or who sees nothing wrong with alcohol being openly served at the park outside of table service. Just a personal choice that affects me and me alone.

Newtwo

Hopefully this leads to more "live entertainment" at the parks

Violent-brawl-breaks-out-at-Disneylands-Toontown-in-front-of-children_1562603674040_7487073_ver1.0_2560_1440.jpg

smooch

I’m enthusiastically in favor of selling alcohol at Disneyland, but I’ll admit I have seen truly ridiculous behavior in World Showcase. Never at DCA, though. Sincere question — I wonder why? There’s something happening in Epcot that makes guests think they’re at a frat party.
I mean Disney has essentially turned EPCOT into their drinking park, they sell so much alcohol in each country and when you sell passes to "eat around the world" and there are drinks at each of those spots it only makes sense people would create a drinking equivalent. I think it's because the World Showcase is so large and is something you're supposed to stroll around and wander and enjoy, which probably sounds more fun to drink and do than drink and wait in lines for rides / etc. at the other parks. I feel like any time I hear of wildly intoxicated guests at Disney Parks they almost always end up coming out of EPCOT.

PiratesMansion

I think it should also be noted that there's a distinction between alcohol that you can consume freely and walk around the park with, and alcohol that's limited to meals at table service restaurants.

This announcement is clearly indicating the latter, but many are interpreting the news as if this is the former, and that DL is about to turn into Orlando's HHN with a booze cart around every corner.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

If Disneyland started selling alcohol on carts or at quick service restaurants, or in other words, if people were walking around or in lines with alcohol in their hand, then I'd probably stop going there altogether. Not because I'm against alcohol or drinking, but because Disneyland to me has always been a magical place I grew up going to where I can get away from purely "adult" things and feel like a kid again. I wouldn't feel like a kid again if I smelled beer while in line for Peter Pan, but that's just me.

I agree with this; I’d fiercely oppose letting guests walk around Disneyland with alcohol. Would tangibly make the park less wholesome.

Fortunately I don’t see a slippery slope here; beer carts are not an inevitability simply because table service restaurants now offer some alcoholic beverages. In fact, Disney probably realizes that taking different approaches to the availability of alcohol at DL/DCA will help maintain DCA’s appeal for many adults.

Vegas Disney Fan

There is not an influx of drunks in the parks now that BB and Oga's allow alcohol.

This won't result in that either.

As an AP, who enjoys a cocktail or 2 at the parks, I completely forgot Oga even existed and that BB sells alcoholic drinks now. We always end up at DCA, DTD, one of the hotels, or if we’re lucky (and have certain friends in the parks) Club 33 or 1901 when we want a cocktail.

BB offering drinks didn’t change the park at all, adding drinks to a couple more sit downs won’t either.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I mean Disney has essentially turned EPCOT into their drinking park, they sell so much alcohol in each country and when you sell passes to "eat around the world" and there are drinks at each of those spots it only makes sense people would create a drinking equivalent. I think it's because the World Showcase is so large and is something you're supposed to stroll around and wander and enjoy, which probably sounds more fun to drink and do than drink and wait in lines for rides / etc. at the other parks. I feel like any time I hear of wildly intoxicated guests at Disney Parks they almost always end up coming out of EPCOT.

I think you’ve nailed it. I hadn’t really given consideration to the geography/nature of WS contributing to some guests’ excessive drinking (along, of course, with Disney’s subtle and sometimes not-so-subtle encouragement via the food festivals).

Bums me out though that guests interpret WS’s invitation to “stroll around and wander/explore” as a call to get hammered. Not buzzed or tipsy or privately drunk, but like loud and disorderly.

Glad DCA has some solid attractions.

build_it

I’m in the group that hopes they keep it with the sit down food establishments. I have no issue that folks would like a drink or two with dinner. Have at it, but not my thing.
I do think open carry and carts at Disneyland would be a mistake. My least favorite part of visiting Epcot is the spilled beer that stinks up the park. (Beer is just gross 🤣)
Having said all that, this seems like a reasonable change.

CaptinEO

When I go to MK, I can’t have an alcoholic drink, whether or not I’d like one. When I go to the other 3 parks I am free to drink or not. I don’t really like the emphasis on the phrase “need a drink”. I don’t need a drink to enjoy the parks, I’m on vacation and would like a drink. I don’t see why my drink is your problem. It’s not like second hand smoke
What! They've had alcohol there for years.

MagicHappens1971

What! They've had alcohol there for years.

I meant outside of TSRs.

BuddyThomas

When I go to MK, I can’t have an alcoholic drink, whether or not I’d like one. When I go to the other 3 parks I am free to drink or not. I don’t really like the emphasis on the phrase “need a drink”. I don’t need a drink to enjoy the parks, I’m on vacation and would like a drink. I don’t see why my drink is your problem. It’s not like second hand smoke
Perfectly stated. Thank you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom