Monthly Theme Park injury Report for July out

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
Nothing terribly exciting, with the exception of some idiot that jumped out of a moving Safari vehicle at Kilimanjaro...

Reports Identify Injuries, Illnesses at Theme Parks

ORLANDO (Orlando Sentinel) – Eight serious injuries and illnesses – none apparently life-threatening – were reported at Central Florida theme-park rides in July, August and September. Third-quarter reports from Walt Disney World, SeaWorld Orlando and Universal Orlando, received this week from the Florida Bureau of Fair Ride Inspections, include one involving a 68-year-old woman who fractured both legs and an arm at the Peter Pan's Flight ride at Magic Kingdom. The woman fell July 29, stepping onto the moving walkway at the ride's entrance. Florida's major theme parks, including Orlando's Wet 'n Wild and Tampa's Busch Gardens and Adventure Island, file quarterly "occurrence reports" with the state, listing serious injuries or illnesses at rides. Generally, the theme parks report injuries or illnesses that lead to overnight hospital stays. The individuals are not identified.

w Others reported at Disney World: a 42-year-old man broke his left ankle after jumping out of a Kilimanjaro Safaris vehicle at Disney's Animal Kingdom on July 16; a man, 63, was stricken ill at Mission: Space at Epcot on July 19; and a 56-year-old man lost consciousness on the Gran Fiesta Tour boat ride at Epcot on Sept. 3.
w At Universal, a 14-year-old girl broke her arm at the Camp Jurassic climbing nets at Islands of Adventure on July 17; a 16-year-old boy suffered upper-back pain at Islands of Adventures' Dueling Dragons roller coasters Aug. 11; and a man, 57, suffered chest pain at Universal Studios' Revenge of the Mummy on Aug. 19.
w At SeaWorld, a woman of unreported age suffered an irregular heartbeat Sept. 15 at the Journey to Atlantis ride.

KingStefan

... a 42-year-old man broke his left ankle after jumping out of a Kilimanjaro Safaris vehicle at Disney's Animal Kingdom on July 16; ...

I find this fascinating. What was he thinking? Where in the safari area did this happen? What was his motivation? Did he drop his $1000 camera overboard, or did he just want to get closer to the animals, or what? Was he trying to sneak off to explore on foot? How was he evacuated? Anybody know these or other details?

ImaYoyo

Original Poster
I find this fascinating. What was he thinking? Where in the safari area did this happen? What was his motivation? How was he evacuated? Anybody know these or other details?
I think I remember WESH saying he was jumping after his dropped camera. Maybe he thought the animals were anamatronic?

Natural Selection at it's best...

Thiger

seriously whats with the Epcot ride theme of someone getting lost?

when i went last week it was like 'Nemo, where's Nemo?'

then it was 'Donald, where's Donald?'

then 'figment, where's figment?'

El Rio was far cooler. A bit tacky, but super fun!

freediverdude

He jumped out of a Kilimanjaro Safari vehicle??? omg......does he not know that there are.......oh......i dunno......BLACK RHINOS and other large menacing beasts wandering around freely?? Your life isn't worth a camera buddy.

hrcollectibles

He jumped out of a Kilimanjaro Safari vehicle??? omg......does he not know that there are.......oh......i dunno......BLACK RHINOS and other large menacing beasts wandering around freely?? Your life isn't worth a camera buddy.

I think I'd rather face one of those animals then a Brazilian Tour Group

DisneyGigi

On our last day at Epcot (Sep. 8) there was a man that had apparently fallen and busted his mouth near the Coral Reef entrance, they took him out on a strecher, there was alot of blood. I felt really sorry for him and it was so hot that day, he was leaned back while people were helping him and waiting for the stretcher to get there. I wondered if maybe he had a heat stroke or something?

daklimation

I find this fascinating. What was he thinking? Where in the safari area did this happen? What was his motivation? Did he drop his $1000 camera overboard, or did he just want to get closer to the animals, or what? Was he trying to sneak off to explore on foot? How was he evacuated? Anybody know these or other details?

Yep, it was jumping out over a camera. I remember hearing things about him being intoxicated too, but it might have just been rumors.

The real kicker was having to close the safari for a couple of hours early in the day, there weren't too many happy people over there.

And it was hot so water had to get delivered out to anyone stuck in safari cars who wanted it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom